PDA

View Full Version : DVD burner

jspchief
11-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Looking for some opinions on a DVD burner. I don't really even know what is out there, and wht the price ranges are nowadays.

I'll mostly be using it to put Chiefs games on DVD. I probably have room in my tower, but would consider external too.

Any suggestions?

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 10:35 AM
I got an internal NEC from NewEgg for like $30.

I'd go this route:

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=5

jspchief
11-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Yea, I was just checking out newegg. I had no idea they were that cheap. Any features I should be looking for?

Saulbadguy
11-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Dual Layer.

dirk digler
11-08-2005, 10:40 AM
I got an internal NEC from NewEgg for like $30.

I'd go this route:

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=5

Jsp I agree with Parker on that. I got a NEC 3540 and it works wonderful and burns fast. It also supports Dual Layer discs.

Lzen
11-08-2005, 12:04 PM
I bought an NEC from Newegg a few months back. It is great. Can't go wrong there.

jspchief
11-08-2005, 02:09 PM
I don't see anything that indicates which support dual layer and which don't on newegg. Is that just a standard feature, or am I missing it in the features list?

Saulbadguy
11-08-2005, 02:17 PM
I don't see anything that indicates which support dual layer and which don't on newegg. Is that just a standard feature, or am I missing it in the features list?
Back in the day I was a big Lite-On homer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106988

LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 4X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner - Retail

"DL" indicates Dual Layer.

dirk digler
11-08-2005, 02:46 PM

The NEC and the Lite-On that Saul suggested both support DL.

DVD+R 16X
DVD+RW 8X
DVD-R 16X
DVD-RW 6X
CD-R 48X
CD-RW 32X
DVD+R DL 8X
DVD-R DL 6X

Swanman
11-08-2005, 03:10 PM
My one piece of advice would be to not worry about the maximum speed of the burner. From what I've read (and this could be bad info), it's best to burn at the slowest speed in order to ensure the best quality video on the disk. My burner goes up to 8X I believe, but I always burn at 2.4X.

Saulbadguy
11-08-2005, 03:13 PM
My one piece of advice would be to not worry about the maximum speed of the burner. From what I've read (and this could be bad info), it's best to burn at the slowest speed in order to ensure the best quality video on the disk. My burner goes up to 8X I believe, but I always burn at 2.4X.
I burn at 8x, and have no problems. Using good media is the key, and updating your firmware often.

SaltyDog
11-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Looking for some opinions on a DVD burner. I don't really even know what is out there, and wht the price ranges are nowadays.

I'll mostly be using it to put Chiefs games on DVD. I probably have room in my tower, but would consider external too.

Any suggestions?

Try the BENQ 1640, this is by far the best DVD burner on the market.
It is so good that Plextor and Sony are using it for their flagship burner.
One key thing to look for is BOOK TYPE SETTING, this allows you to set the book type for DVD +R to DVD-ROM, this in turn will make your disk more compatible with older DVD players.
Thre are two sites you should go in order to read reviews and make an intelligent decision on your purchase.
These sites are CDRLABS.COM and CDFREAKS.COM.
CDRLABS has excellent reviews and CDFREAKS have forums relating to each individual DVD burner. One hint, trust the reviews at CDRlabs.
By the way, when you buy the disks, look for FUJI (made in Japan only)
and stay away from Memorex.
Good luck.

Miles
11-09-2005, 03:48 AM
I have the previous 16x internal model NEC that I picked up from Newegg and it has been extremly reliable. Has not missburned a single disc and I use really cheap media.

I have also read good things about the BenQ.