PDA

View Full Version : Barber's back

B_Ambuehl
11-08-2005, 11:19 AM
I didn't catch everything but did hear DV say he starts practice tomorrow with the rest of the team. Hello 3-4 and hello Bell as gap blitzer.

jspchief
11-08-2005, 11:20 AM
I like the idea of how it would allow us to use our LBs, but fear that advantage will be lost because of a line that isn't suited for the 3-4.

Saulbadguy
11-08-2005, 11:21 AM
I like the idea of how it would allow us to use our LBs, but fear that advantage will be lost because of a line that isn't suited for the 3-4.
Same here.

Cochise
11-08-2005, 11:26 AM
If we had a DT worth anything I'd think we should be running the 3-4 all the time.

RedDread
11-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Bell Johnson Mitchell Barber...could be good once we get Sims back.

Otherwise we get no push, thus making a 3-4 worthless.

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2005, 11:27 AM
If we had a DT worth anything I'd think we should be running the 3-4 all the time.Have you forgotten all about Siavii?

Hoover
11-08-2005, 11:29 AM
I disagree. I think moving to the 3-4 allows us to put our best playmakers on the field in their natural positions. I worry about Allen in the move more than anyone, 3-4 DE's need to be solid vs the Run.

ChiTown
11-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Have you forgotten all about Siavii?

ROFL

recxjake
11-08-2005, 11:33 AM

are you kidding lol?! He hasn't proven anything

It should go like this

Johnson/Bell/Mitchel/Barber
Allen/Browning/Hicks

BigMeatballDave
are you kidding lol?! He hasn't proven anything

It should go like this

Johnson/Bell/Mitchel/Barber
Allen/Browning/Hicks
ROFL

StcChief
Need to find a wide body up front for this too start working.

Deberg_1990
11-08-2005, 11:34 AM

Yes......hes easy to forget...

jspchief
11-08-2005, 11:36 AM
I disagree. I think moving to the 3-4 allows us to put our best playmakers on the field in their natural positions. Like who?

The only we player we have that would seemingly benefit from the switch 3-4 is Bell. And to be honest he just looks slow to me, so I'm not sure we will get much. I can't think of any other player that is better suited for the 3-4, and like you said, it could actually hurt Allen.

I realize we have a good stable of LBs, but getting them all on the field doesn't neccessarily mean that our D will be better.

Personally, I'd like to see Barber push for Bell's spot at OLB. I've never been a big fan of Shawn Barber, but even at his worst he was more productive than Bell has been for us.

If we can ever get Surtain and warfield on the field at the same time, I think we'll adjust the way our secondary plays and we will see improvement. As much as we need a better pass rush, I don't believe the 3-4 will be enough to offset what we would lose in run D.

Logical
11-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Barber has to earn his spot over Boomer and Scanlon, are you folks nuts.:p

Dunit35
11-08-2005, 11:38 AM
I disagree. I think moving to the 3-4 allows us to put our best playmakers on the field in their natural positions. I worry about Allen in the move more than anyone, 3-4 DE's need to be solid vs the Run.

Allen has done ALOT better against the run this year. Agree he is a ? against stopping the run all the time.

Logical
11-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Have you forgotten all about Siavii?ROFL He did say a DT worth anything.

The Bad Guy
11-08-2005, 11:40 AM
If the Chiefs go with a 3-4, they have to put Browning at DE. Hicks and Browning are very suited to be 3-4 DEs.

I like him back because it gives a lot of flexibility.

ChiTown
11-08-2005, 11:40 AM

To run the 3-4, you have to have a bitch of a DT to plug the middle and push inside. Browning is a good gap DT, but he's not the guy you want running the middle in a 3-4.

Mr. Laz
11-08-2005, 11:42 AM
a 3-4 might help in passing downs ... since we aren't getting much of a pass rush for the dline anyway. Might as well have another linebacker to drop back into a zone.

4-3 on running downs
3-4 on passing downs

:shrug:

i just hope we can get our secondary healthy

Hydrae
11-08-2005, 11:43 AM
I think a 3-4 would show the fans what Barber can do. I think he disappeared a lot last year but with being on the outside of 4 backers, we will see mroe out of both Bell and Barber.

As to the middle, yes that is a problem area for us. But as much as we have been sending Kawika anyway, I am not sure it will matter a lot. Us with this linebacking corps in a 3-4 has to create a lot of headaches for OC's trying to gameplan around our blitzes. ROFL

ChiTown
11-08-2005, 11:44 AM
If the Chiefs go with a 3-4, they have to put Browning at DE. Hicks and Browning are very suited to be 3-4 DEs.

I like him back because it gives a lot of flexibility.

Yes

And essentially, in a 3-4, Allen is non-existent. Not sure that's a good idea.

jspchief
11-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Yes

And essentially, in a 3-4, Allen is non-existent. Not sure that's a good idea.Yep. Atlanta used the 3-4 with relative success, and still switched back to the 4-3 because the 3-4 limited the abilities of Kearney.

We will basically be casting aside Allen in hopes of getting better production out of Bell. Not worth it to me.

Logical
11-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Yep. Atlanta used the 3-4 with relative success, and still switched back to the 4-3 because the 3-4 limited the abilities of Kearney.

We will basically be casting aside Allen in hopes of getting better production out of Bell. Not worth it to me.Allen could be used as a rush backer to alternate with Bell so we don't have to discard him However it does not change the fact we have no true NT worthy of the 3-4 scheme.

ChiTown
11-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Yep. Atlanta used the 3-4 with relative success, and still switched back to the 4-3 because the 3-4 limited the abilities of Kearney.

We will basically be casting aside Allen in hopes of getting better production out of Bell. Not worth it to me.

That, and we don't have a guy that can really (read: effectively) play NT, other than Sims. With our personnel, going to a 3-4 is just a stupid fn idea.

The Bad Guy
11-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Yes

And essentially, in a 3-4, Allen is non-existent. Not sure that's a good idea.

No, it's not.

But on rushing downs it could be. Bring Allen in on passing downs.

I love Allen, but if they are going to attempt to use Barber, this is the way to go.

jspchief
Allen could be used as a rush backer to alternate with Bell so we don't have to discard him However it does not change the fact we have no true NT worthy of the 3-4 scheme.We may not be completely discarding him, but we are still significanlty reducing the number of snaps that go to one of the best motors on our defense.

Just in an attempt to get better production out of Bell? No thanks. Like I said in my earlier post, i'd just as soon see Barber take Bell's OLB spot.

Rausch
Allen could be used as a rush backer to alternate with Bell so we don't have to discard him However it does not change the fact we have no true NT worthy of the 3-4 scheme.

And we have no true DT worthy of the 4-3...

Logical
11-08-2005, 11:55 AM
And we have no true DT worthy of the 4-3...True dat, however they are more capable as 4-3 DTs than they would be as 3-4 DTs and at least right now we are pretty much playing decent run defense.

Sure-Oz
11-08-2005, 11:57 AM
I hope this works out so we can actually see what bell can do, we need a rush, i have yet to see him go after the QB, this should hopefully open up more things.

B_Ambuehl
11-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Allen is too inconsistent to try and build a defense around anyway. He hasn't reached the quarterback since the Washington game and he's never gonna be more then an average DE, 8-9 sack type of guy - not enough athletic ability and not fast enough. Yeah he's batted some balls down but he can do that from wherever he is.

From what I've seen you have a better chance of generating pressure on the quarterback by bringing 3 down and an extra linebacker then any combination of 4 down defensive lineman you can come up with on this defensive football team.

As it is the Chiefs have been running Wilkerson as NT in a 3 man line on passing downs so going with Dalton at NT isn't gonna be a big deal at all and we just might be able to get some pressure on the quarterback for a change with Bell shooting the gaps, which is what he used to do in pittsburgh that got everybody so enamored with him. The bolts have no problem getting pressure on the quarterback and look at how creative they get to do it. That 3-4 is hard for an offense to defend against because people can come from all over.

Hoover
11-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Allen is too inconsistent to try and build a defense around anyway. He hasn't reached the quarterback since the Washington game and he's never gonna be more then an average DE, 8-9 sack type of guy - not enough athletic ability and not fast enough. Yeah he's batted some balls down but he can do that from wherever he is.

From what I've seen you have a better chance of generating pressure on the quarterback by bringing 3 down and an extra linebacker then any combination of 4 down defensive lineman you can come up with on this defensive football team.

As it is the Chiefs have been running Wilkerson as NT in a 3 man line on passing downs so going with Dalton at NT isn't gonna be a big deal at all and we just might be able to get some pressure on the quarterback for a change with Bell shooting the gaps, which is what he used to do in pittsburgh that got everybody so enamored with him. The bolts have no problem getting pressure on the quarterback and look at how creative they get to do it. That 3-4 is hard for an offense to defend against because people can come from all over.
This is right on. If you guys want this Defense to preasure the QB then the 3-4 is the way to go, any of the 4 LBs have the speed to blitz. Allen would be playing DE on passing downs.

redhed
11-08-2005, 12:23 PM
It's time for C.Hall to step up and get into the fold. Gun says he's a good one; so lets' see it on the field.
As far as wide-bodied NTs go:
"Paging Gilbert Brown, Mr. Gilbert Brown. Please pick up the red coutesy phone." :D

ChiTown
11-08-2005, 12:25 PM
It's time for C.Hall to step up and get into the fold. Gun says he's a good one; so lets' see it on the field.
"Paging Gilbert Brown, Mr. Gilbert Brown. Please pick up the red coutesy phone." :D

We said wide-bodied, not lard-assed. :)

Inspector
11-08-2005, 12:27 PM

Pretty much.....

redhed
11-08-2005, 12:35 PM
We said wide-bodied, not lard-assed. :)

Surely you're not implying 'Ol Gil is past his prime? :)

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 12:36 PM
I'd like to think having Barber back would help us do the right thing with Bell and have him play his natural position.

Alas, I have absolutely zero faith in Gunther to ever do what's right...

Braincase
11-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Who needs Barber when you've got Rich Scanlon?

Logical
11-08-2005, 01:20 PM
I'd like to think having Barber back would help us do the right thing with Bell and have him play his natural position.

Alas, I have absolutely zero faith in Gunther to ever do what's right...

I agree, and I am not sure given the improvement of Mitchell we should move Bell to the middle. I agree with the others who say changing the defense to make better use of Bell may not be the right answer either.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 01:22 PM
I agree, and I am not sure given the improvement of Mitchell we should move Bell to the middle. I agree with the others who say changing the defense to make better use of Bell may not be the right answer either.

If we're gonna run a 3-4 anyway, we might as well move Bell to ILB where he's better suited. In the 4-3, he can be a situational pass rusher on 3rd and long.

I'm not one of those that thinks Bell is slow/unathletic. I watched him play in college and with the Steelers -- his problem is 100% mental. Gunther ****ed him over by using him out-of-position.

Bowser
11-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Does anybody know who got bumped from the roster to make room for Barber?

royr17
11-08-2005, 02:16 PM
My guess would be OT Jeremy Parquet

Saulbadguy
11-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Who needs Barber when you've got Rich Scanlon?
They will probably go ahead and release Scanlon.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 02:25 PM

That's what I was thinking.

Cochise
11-08-2005, 02:26 PM

I think it's time, I mean, with Barber back and Grigsby emerging on ST, we just don't need him for much of anything. It's a waste of a spot on the active roster.

Plus, don't tell anyone this, but there was a kick Sunday where I was looking at the guys we had lined up, and 91 wasn't out there. Maybe he is losing playing time even on ST.

siberian khatru
11-08-2005, 02:26 PM

We'll have to change the Planet red to black that day.

chefsos
11-08-2005, 02:39 PM

All Carl has to do is have one of his underlings open the office door quickly. Gilbert will roll right in.

ROYC75
11-08-2005, 02:57 PM
WARNING : This thread contains alot of BULLSHIT within the post.

Saulbadguy
11-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Where?

Sure-Oz
11-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Where?
maybe scanlon getting cut?

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 03:03 PM
WARNING : This thread contains alot of BULLSHIT within the post.

ROFL

Saulbadguy
11-08-2005, 03:04 PM
maybe scanlon getting cut?
I don't see that as BS. They can only keep so many LB's on the roster. Scanlon is the least talented out of Bell/Johnson/Mitchell/Grigsby/Griffin/Barber.

Saulbadguy
11-08-2005, 03:04 PM
This thread contains alot of bullshit within the post? WTH is "Within the post"? isn't that kind of redundant?

royr17
11-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Anybody care to think that one of our backup offensive lineman has been inactive all year, that guy would be Jeremy Parquet, more then likely thats who I believe gets cut or its bye bye Kris Griffin.

But Rich isnt goin anywhere.

tk13
11-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Anybody care to think that one of our backup offensive lineman has been inactive all year, that guy would be Jeremy Parquet, more then likely thats who I believe gets cut or its bye bye Kris Griffin.

But Rich isnt goin anywhere.
I really doubt that, because the entire front office isn't going to repeat the Ryan Lilja mistake. There are a lot of teams that can hide an OL that'll never play. I think one of the LB's would be the most likely to go, I don't know if that'll be Scanlon or someone else, but I'm not real sure we're gonna carry that many LB's.

sedated

Why don't we also page Carlos Hall (the next Jevon Kearse) and Kendrell Bell (Fat-ass who gets out-run by Jake the Fake).

ROYC75
Cut a guy that is # 1 in ST's tackles on your team ?

Plus he is your backup MLB, # 2 on the depth charts.

Add in he is also playing more OLB in the 3-4 than Griffin is ....

Some of you here just like to spread the shit.....

You kids continue having your fun.

sedated
11-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Griffin aint going nowhere. They kept him and let Fujita go, then ranted about how he looked just like DJ in practice.

sedated
11-08-2005, 03:13 PM
If we switch to a 3-4, don't we have to switch JAllen to OLB?

He's fast enough, got a motor, and can get to the QB and knock down passes.

Plus, he's too small to play 3-4 DE.

It would be Hall/Hicks, Dalton, Browning.

Sure-Oz
11-08-2005, 03:13 PM
I don't see that as BS. They can only keep so many LB's on the roster. Scanlon is the least talented out of Bell/Johnson/Mitchell/Grigsby/Griffin/Barber.
oh trust me i know it was kinda joke ;)

ROYC75
11-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Griffin aint going nowhere. They kept him and let Fujita go, then ranted about how he looked just like DJ in practice.

That could be, but he has been the one that has been inactive and getting less playing time than Scanlon has.

Figure in the fact that Scanlon can play OLB and MLB, it added to the possibility.

royr17
11-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Parquet hasnt shown enough to warrant to be picked up when cut.

Lilja showed more in the preseason last year then Parquet did this preseason.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Rich, Rich, we love you...but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth!

ROYC75
11-08-2005, 03:16 PM

Right, that's why Griffin is leading the team in ST's tackles.

Also why Griffin is logging more minutes than Scanlon at OLB.

Also Griffin is listed as a MLB ?

Get real...... Griffin is behind in all areas here, plus he has been inactive some.

tk13
11-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Parquet hasnt shown enough to warrant to be picked up when cut.

Lilja showed more in the preseason last year then Parquet did this preseason.
We're going to probably need O-linemen like they're going out of business next year, if we have anybody with potential we can't let them go. None of our LB'ers are close to retiring/have injury problems.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Oh Rich...

Frosty
11-08-2005, 03:21 PM
I would think that Khari Long would be the one to go, especially if there is a switch to a 3-4.

royr17
11-08-2005, 03:23 PM
you know i didnt think about long, i totally forgot about him but i think you could be right about him.

ROYC75
11-08-2005, 03:24 PM
I would think that Khari Long would be the one to go, especially if there is a switch to a 3-4.

Probally the most likely choice here...... Off to PS you go.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Rich!

AAAAAAHHHHH!

Savior of the Universe!

royr17
11-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Carl: Oh, Boomer .............

Boomer: Yes Carl

Carl: YOU"RE FIRED

Boomer: but but but ....

Carl: no buts son GTFO and STFU.

tk13
11-08-2005, 03:28 PM
I don't know, Long jumped out at me as someone who might get axed, but if he did we'd be carrying 7 defensive linemen and 8 linebackers. Not sure about that. If we had one more D-line injury (Hall gets hurt again) he'd have to come right back up.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Rich!

AAAHHHHHH!

King of the Impossible!

He's for every one of us.
Stands for every one of us.
He'll save with his hand every man, every woman, every child, AHHHH!!! RICH!

royr17
11-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Boomer: hstimage you are a jackass and leave my buddy Scanlon alone.

Hstimage: But he sucks.

Boomer: Actually he's a really good player and your the one that really sucks ass.

The Bad Guy
11-08-2005, 03:34 PM

Boomer: Actually he's a really good player and your the one that really sucks ass.

Are you 12?

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 03:34 PM

ROFL

I'm sure my cryptic references to an 80's movie went right by you.

Of course, alot gets by you.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Rich Scanlon approaching
What do you mean Rich Scanlon approaching?

Open fire!
All weapons!

Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Are you 12?

Age?

No.

IQ.

The Bad Guy
11-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Age?

No.

IQ.

Dear lord. I'd beat up my brother if he acted like that.

Cochise
11-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Roy3: Behold the cave of Scanimal!
Boomer: Right! Keep me covered.
Griffin: What with?
Boomer: Just keep me covered.
Roy3: Too late!
[dramatic chord]
Boomer: What?
Roy3: There he is!
Boomer: Where?
Roy3: There!
Boomer: What, behind the Scanimal?
Roy3: It is the Scanimal!
Boomer: You silly sod! You got us all worked up!
Roy3: Well, that's no ordinary Scanimal. That's the most foul,
cruel, and bad-tempered Scanimal you ever set eyes on.
Kawika: You tit! I soiled my uniform I was so scared!
Roy3: Look, that Scanimal's got a vicious streak a mile wide, it's
a killer!
Griffin: Get stuffed!
Roy3: It'll do you a trick, mate!
Griffin: Oh, yeah?
Kawika: You manky Scot's git!
Roy3: I'm warning you!
Kawika: What's he do, nibble your bum?
Roy3: He's got huge, sharp-- he can leap about-- look at the
bones!
Boomer: Go on, Barber. Chop his head off!
Barber: Right! Silly little bleeder. One Scanimal stew comin'
right up!
Roy3: Look!
[squeak]
Barber: Aaaugh!
[chord]
Boomer: Jesus Christ!
Roy3: I warned you!
Kawika: I did it again!

sedated
11-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Is everyone here smoking weed?

If so, can I come?

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Is everyone here smoking weed?

If so, can I come?

Today it's shroomzzzz...

SLAG
11-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Today it's shroomzzzz...

I need about 5g of the boomers

and about 28g of the weed

and about 8g of the yay

sedated
11-08-2005, 04:02 PM
I need about 5g of the boomers

and about 28g of the weed

and about 8g of the yay

I need directions to your house and the time the party starts.

I got beer (amoung other things).

SLAG
11-08-2005, 04:04 PM
I need directions to your house and the time the party starts.

I got beer (amoung other things).

Im in Lenexa... and the party starts as soon as you get here baby ;)

TRR
11-08-2005, 04:13 PM
I'll have to give the Roy's credit. Scanlon is better than I thought he was...but not by much. Scanlon is, and always will be a backup LB in the NFL. He could get a team by for a couple of games, and provide decent special teams play. Other than that, he's just your average, everyday LB. He lacks just about everything needed to be a starter at the NFL level, but has made it this far on heart, determination, and instinct.

That sums up Scanlon...Let's put the issue to rest. Let's get back to Shawn Barber, who is 5 times the LB Rich Scanlon will ever be

ROYC75
11-08-2005, 04:29 PM
I was shocked to see us keep as many LB's out of camp as the next person. Too add Barber and drop another player other than LB is almost unheard of.

To many here, They want Scanlon gone, just for any reason.

Who goes, it's really anybodys guess or opinion. Just for the sake of LB's, I would say Griffin for the reasons I listed earlier. If we are talking DL, probally Long. Both of these guys are on/off the inactive list weekly.

Feel free to discuss.........

Hydrae
11-08-2005, 04:34 PM
I keep forgetting this is the Scanlon Planet. :shake:

SLAG
11-08-2005, 05:08 PM
I was shocked to see us keep as many LB's out of camp as the next person. Too add Barber and drop another player other than LB is almost unheard of.

To many here, They want Scanlon gone, just for any reason.

Who goes, it's really anybodys guess or opinion. Just for the sake of LB's, I would say Griffin for the reasons I listed earlier. If we are talking DL, probally Long. Both of these guys are on/off the inactive list weekly.

Feel free to discuss.........

Keep Barber Cut Long....

the man reason i like scanlon is cuz he was the NFLEL D. MVP

So thats cool

Long I havent heard JACK out of

bringbackmarty
11-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Barber has to earn his spot over Boomer and Scanlon, are you folks nuts.:p
No, Vermiel is going to bench Johnson. Get it right!

Saulbadguy
11-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Right, that's why Griffin is leading the team in ST's tackles.

Also why Griffin is logging more minutes than Scanlon at OLB.

Also Griffin is listed as a MLB ?

Get real...... Griffin is behind in all areas here, plus he has been inactive some.
Its because they are saving Griffin for the playoffs.

KCWolfman
11-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Rich!

AAAHHHHHH!

King of the Impossible!

He's for every one of us.
Stands for every one of us.
He'll save with his hand every man, every woman, every child, AHHHH!!! RICH!
Geez, Freddie Mercury is turning in his grave. Of course, that makes it easier for Liberace to finish a reach around.

Count Zarth
11-08-2005, 11:33 PM
RICH!

FOR GOD'S SAKE! STRAP YOURSELVES IN!

Count Zarth
11-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Carl: Dick, I'm bored. What plaything can you offer me today?

Dick: An obscure special teams player in the KC system, your Majesty. The inhabitants refer to it as the player, "Scanlon."

Carl: How peaceful it looks.

(He activates a console, and watches as penalties, missed tackles, etc., start to occur. They both get a good laugh out of it.)

Dick: Most effective, your Majesty. Will you destroy this, uh, "Scanlon?"

Carl: Later. I like to play with things a while. Before annihilation....

jidar
11-08-2005, 11:38 PM
I used to like this idea, but now that our run D is looking better I'm not so hot on switching to a more frequent 3-4. Especially when it is to the detriment of our best defensive player so far, Jared Allen.

oh damn.. the thread has already been hi-jacked by stupid crap.

ChiefsFanatik88
11-09-2005, 06:09 AM
I didn't catch everything but did hear DV say he starts practice tomorrow with the rest of the team. Hello 3-4 and hello Bell as gap blitzer.

I hope you realise that this means Barber will be playing in a couple of weeks or more. You know the DV line: He needs to get practicing to get into playing shape. He's missed alot of work.

jspchief
11-09-2005, 06:12 AM
I hope you realise that this means Barber will be playing in a couple of weeks or more. You know the DV line: He needs to get practicing to get into playing shape. He's missed alot of work.In this case, I would have to think DV would be right. Barber hasn't played football in a year.

Danush
11-09-2005, 06:31 AM
Like who?

The only we player we have that would seemingly benefit from the switch 3-4 is Bell. And to be honest he just looks slow to me, so I'm not sure we will get much. I can't think of any other player that is better suited for the 3-4, and like you said, it could actually hurt Allen.

I realize we have a good stable of LBs, but getting them all on the field doesn't neccessarily mean that our D will be better.

Personally, I'd like to see Barber push for Bell's spot at OLB. I've never been a big fan of Shawn Barber, but even at his worst he was more productive than Bell has been for us.

If we can ever get Surtain and warfield on the field at the same time, I think we'll adjust the way our secondary plays and we will see improvement. As much as we need a better pass rush, I don't believe the 3-4 will be enough to offset what we would lose in run D.

Excellent post.

Mr. Kotter
11-09-2005, 06:41 AM

Allen-hater. :shake:

Allen is our best defensive player right now. Period. Why you seriously think otherwise is just weird. Yes, he's vulnerable against the run; but so was DT. Within the Gun's scheme, Allen is a guy we need on the field.

Going to a 3-4 would require us to get Sims back; and even with Sims, I'm not sure it would work as our base-defense. If we want to use 3-4, situationally.... I think we can do it with Sims, or even Browning/Dalton/Wilkerson, regardless. They should be able to handle 8-10 snaps taking on two OL....submarining them, if nothing else.

So either you are an Allen-hater. Or you are female; or a soccer fan. Or both. JK ;)

Cochise
11-09-2005, 06:46 AM
Allen is our best defensive player right now. Period. Why you seriously think otherwise is just weird. Yes, he's vulnerable against the run; but so was DT.

Come on though, that's not a good comparison at all. having a linebacker that doesn't play the run well is entirely different than a defensive end, in a 3-4, that can't play the run.

jspchief
11-09-2005, 06:49 AM
Come on though, that's not a good comparison at all. having a linebacker that doesn't play the run well is entirely different than a defensive end, in a 3-4, that can't play the run.IMO, if we switch to a 3-4, Allen's role will be reduced to a situational pass rusher. He'll become R-Kal Truluck. I think that is a waste of his motor.

Mr. Kotter
11-09-2005, 06:53 AM
Come on though, that's not a good comparison at all. having a linebacker that doesn't play the run well is entirely different than a defensive end, in a 3-4, that can't play the run.

I understand what you are saying, but I would also argue Allen is capable of playing the run better than his critics are alleging...it's just not his strength.

htismaqe
11-09-2005, 08:09 AM
IMO, if we switch to a 3-4, Allen's role will be reduced to a situational pass rusher. He'll become R-Kal Truluck. I think that is a waste of his motor.

If he's used correctly, he could become Derrick Thomas-like, rather than R-Kal-like...

ROYC75
11-09-2005, 08:20 AM
A 3-4 , Allen would have to be used in the OLB position. IMHO, I just don't see him holding up as a DE in a 3-4.

To put Allen outside then is to take away from using Barber outside and Bell insides strength.

IMHO, Gun is not going to give up the 4-3 at all and go 3-4, so basically this isn't going to bother us this much.

He could try some 4-4 on first downs at times like has been doing. Problem is this puts alot out on the corners to handle, we need a healthy Surtain and Warfield for this. Honestly, of the times he has used them this year to date, I'm suprised we haven't been burnt often with the injuries we have had on the outside. I have always feared being in a 4-4 and having the QB check call and burn us deep.

milkman
11-09-2005, 08:43 AM
If we switch to a 3-4, don't we have to switch JAllen to OLB?

He's fast enough, got a motor, and can get to the QB and knock down passes.

Plus, he's too small to play 3-4 DE.

It would be Hall/Hicks, Dalton, Browning.

If Allen is too small to play a 3-4 DE ( an assertion that I agree with), then so is Hall.

Allen is listed at 6'6' and 265.
Hall is listed at 6'4" and 259.

If we were to use a 3-4 as our base defense, it would have to be Sims/Dalton/Siavii in the middle with Hicks/Wilkerson/Browning at DE and Allen/Hall as situational pass rushing DEs.

If I were in charge, I'd like to get Barber some plays at ROLB in Bell's place to see if he can go next season, allowing us to release Bell at the end of this season.

His impact has been minimal.

Of course, that lack of impact is more Gun's fault than Bell's.

The way that Gun has been using the ROLB in this scheme this season, fits Barber, but not Bell.