PDA

View Full Version : Seriously... In how many ways is Carl looking like a G-E-N-I-O-U-S right now?

cdcox
11-09-2005, 02:10 PM
good that we have LJ to fill in for Priest. Lots of complaining after the draft and during the first year of his career.

Claynus
11-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Love it, Carl!

cadmonkey
11-09-2005, 02:16 PM
I never really understood, and actually had a huge problem with, why you all gave him so much crap.

Mr. Kotter
11-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Cudos to Carl.

Cudos to you for the mockery of TJ's thread too. Heh.

KCChiefsMan
11-09-2005, 02:18 PM
it turned out to be a pretty damn good first round pick

Hoover
11-09-2005, 02:20 PM
We all wish that you can keep a back like Priest forever.

Thats said, while it was wierd taking a Running Back in the first round that year when you could have drafteed on in a lower round, I've always been glad we had him. LJ is a larger version of LT if you ask me. I think we will see the offence and Trent step it up now. 1) because they know they have to, and 2) because LJ can get yards that Priest was having problems getting this year.

DJJasonp
11-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Yes, but...

Greg Hill
Sylvester Morris
Junior Siiavi
Sims
etc etc

KChiefsQT
11-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Dammmnit Carl!!! :cuss:

Err....ooooppps.. I mean

Thank you Carl?? :bravo:

Hoover
11-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Yes, but...

Greg Hill
Sylvester Morris
Junior Siiavi
Sims
etc etc
Thats just proof that we need to sign FA DTs

Taco John
11-09-2005, 02:49 PM
He only looks like a genious if the Chiefs make the post season. Otherwise, he just looks like the same old Carl.

sedated
11-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Blackledge?

BLACKLEDGE??!!

chief99
11-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Should have taken the D-end instead.

RBs can be found in the 2nd round.

Mr. Laz
11-09-2005, 04:14 PM
was still a bad pick ... how much of a difference would of defensive play made when our window was closing the last few years.

people need to realize the different between bad selection doesn't mean bad player selected.

we needed defense ... period

Mecca
11-09-2005, 04:15 PM
The teams that have the best drafts are generally the teams that take the best players available not the ones who draft to fill needs.

jidar
11-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Props to Karl, LJ was a good pick.

4th and Long
11-09-2005, 04:21 PM
was still a bad pick ... how much of a difference would of defensive play made when our window was closing the last few years.

people need to realize the different between bad selection doesn't mean bad player selected.

It was a bad pick at that time. It did not address the defensive problems.

WilliamTheIrish
11-09-2005, 04:24 PM

It was a Catch-22 situation really.

Would have been tough to go into the season with just Blaylock and some undrafted rookie FA on the roster.

But you are correct that our D still hurts because of draft choices not panning out.

But today I'm glad we have LJ.

CoMoChief
11-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Yes, but...

Greg Hill
Sylvester Morris
Junior Siiavi
Sims
etc etc

DAMNIT CARL!!!!!!!!

Taco John
11-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Carl would have looked like a genious if Priest had retired with hardware. Having a back-up as the window is closing isn't what makes geniouses...

CosmicPal
11-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Carl would have looked like a genious if Priest had retired with hardware. Having a back-up as the window is closing isn't what makes geniouses...

Neither is drafting half a dozen DB's in a single draft.

Mr. Laz
11-09-2005, 04:37 PM
It was a Catch-22 situation really.

Would have been tough to go into the season with just Blaylock and some undrafted rookie FA on the roster.

But you are correct that our D still hurts because of draft choices not panning out.

But today I'm glad we have LJ.
agreed, today ... right now, the pick rulez!

but overall the team situation would of been better with a good defensive player selected over a good offensive player.

maybe our offense would of gotten us to a super bowl with one.

DaneMcCloud
11-09-2005, 04:38 PM
I was never against the selection of LJ, but I certainly don't think it makes CP look like a genious. He could have taken Troy Polamalu in that spot, then picked up running back in the later rounds (Dominack Davis, Onterrio Smith, Musa Smith, Lee Suggs and Chris Brown all went in the 3rd or later). That would have looked like a better use of our draft to me.

Dane

the Talking Can
11-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Carl will look like a genious when the Chiefs win more than 1 playoff game in a 13 year span.

Taco John
11-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Neither is drafting half a dozen DB's in a single draft.

They're all seeing plenty of playing time on a 6-2 team...

Brock
11-09-2005, 04:47 PM
I was never against the selection of LJ, but I certainly don't think it makes CP look like a genious. He could have taken Troy Polamalu in that spot, then picked up running back in the later rounds (Dominack Davis, Onterrio Smith, Musa Smith, Lee Suggs and Chris Brown all went in the 3rd or later). That would have looked like a better use of our draft to me.

Dane

Nothing personal, but the running backs you list all suck.

Deberg_1990
11-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Yes, but...

Greg Hill
Sylvester Morris
Junior Siiavi
Sims
etc etc

you missed a few...

Trezelle Jenkins
Harvey Williams
Percy Snow
Kris Wilson

LJ was a good pick, because at the time we didnt have a legit backup RB. It only took Carl 14 or so drafts to finally find a "Franchise" RB. DO we have to wait another 13 years for a franchise QB and WR as well???

DaneMcCloud
11-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Dominack Davis: 2,766 yards rushing, 1,115 recieving in 2.5 years.

Lee Suggs: 1,033 rushing, 185 receiving. Injured this season and has not played.

Chris Brown: 1,889 rushing, 317 receiving

Onterrio Smith: 1,123 rushing, 583 receiving. Has not played in 2005.

Musa Smith: 79 rushing, 31 receiving.

Larry Johnson: 1,172 rushing 395 receiving

So IMO, only Musa Smith would have been a bad choice, and the rest certainly don't suck. I do hope that Johnson has the best career. But that certainly hasn't been established yet.

Dane

Brock
11-09-2005, 05:16 PM

Lee Suggs: 1,033 rushing, 185 receiving. Injured this season and has not played.

So IMO, only Musa Smith would have been a bad choice, and the rest certainly don't suck. I do hope that Johnson has the best career. But that certainly hasn't been established yet.

Dane

Onterrio Smith is a drug addict. Chris Brown is brittle, as is Suggs. The only viable back you listed is Davis. We are lucky to have Larry Johnson, period.

Skip Towne
11-09-2005, 05:24 PM

DaneSuggs and Davis have career ypc of 4.1. LJ is at 4.9. I'll take LJ.

dtebbe
11-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Yes, that's going to be yet another aweful think if Priest retires.

DT

Mr. Laz
11-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Suggs and Davis have career ypc of 4.1. LJ is at 4.9. I'll take LJ.
me too ... but that's not the issue

the issue is would the chiefs had a better chance of winning the super bowl the last few years if they would of selected a good defensive player instead of larry johnson and then used a lower pick to grab a backup running back for priest?

Brock
11-09-2005, 05:31 PM

the issue is would the chiefs had a better chance of winning the super bowl the last few years if they would of selected a good defensive player instead of larry johnson and then used a lower pick to grab a backup running back for priest?

They didn't have to use any picks for a backup to Priest. They had Derrick Blaylock. But now that they have neither, it's a damn good thing they drafted Grandmama.

Skip Towne
11-09-2005, 05:32 PM

Judging from the defensive bombs we've had, LJ looks like a damn good choice. We could have gotten another Eddie Freeman instead of LJ.

Adept Havelock
11-09-2005, 05:32 PM

I doubt it. Our defense was so damn horrible not even the second coming of Dick Butkis could have had enough of an effect on the D to get us to the Super Bowl.

Would've helped out though. Maybe we might have won a postseason game then....

Either way, I'm damn glad to have LJ on board.

Mr. Laz
11-09-2005, 05:49 PM
But now that they have neither, it's a damn good thing they drafted Grandmama.
Either way, I'm damn glad to have LJ on board.
yep ... it's great we have LJ now

Skip Towne
11-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Vlad was compaigning for Boss Bailey at the spot we picked LJ. I haven't heard from him since. What has he done? He is likely what we would have gotten.

Mr. Laz
11-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Vlad was compaigning for Boss Bailey at the spot we picked LJ. I haven't heard from him since. What has he done? He is likely what we would have gotten.
starting OLB for detroit ... 88 tackles, 1 sack, 1 int

missed his 2nd year because of injury

this year he's got 45 tackles, 1 sack,1 int

productive, but not fantastic

Skip Towne
11-09-2005, 06:17 PM

Thanks, no wonder I haven't heard from him. He plays for Detroit. I'd much rather have LJ than him.

Sure-Oz
11-09-2005, 06:21 PM
I always thought it was a good pick and when people said lj sucked i said give him a chance, now hes the man. I hope priest can come back next year like a marshall faulk type role, well more playing time than that but LJ is the man now.

DaneMcCloud
11-09-2005, 06:32 PM
You guys are totally missing my point. Carl shouldn't be considered a "genious" because he took LJ as the #27 overall. He could have had Polamalu at that spot and and STILL picked up a productive running back (Davis, Smith, Brown, etc.) to back up Priest. If he had done that, I'd be more apt to call it a "genious" move.

LJ has looked sensational when given a chance to play the past 2 seasons, but let's let him be "The Man" for 16 games or more before calling this a great move in 2003.

Dane

Mr. Kotter
11-09-2005, 06:42 PM
You guys are totally missing my point. Carl shouldn't be considered a "genious" because he took LJ as the #27 overall. He could have had Polamalu at that spot and and STILL picked up a productive running back (Davis, Smith, Brown, etc.) to back up Priest. If he had done that, I'd be more apt to call it a "genious" move.

LJ has looked sensational when given a chance to play the past 2 seasons, but let's let him be "The Man" for 16 games or more before calling this a great move in 2003.

Dane

You could be right. I'm convinced LJ, barring major injury....will have an NFL career superior to any of those other backs drafted that year, with the possible exception of McGahee. That makes it a good choice. How many lower round defensive players, could we have drafted, that have also come in and become impact players elsewhere?

Our problem is CP and our draft gurus apparently can't draft for shit--but especially, for defense....unless a DJ falls into your lap on Christmas in March. :shake:

dtebbe
11-09-2005, 06:51 PM

This is another case of "screw the stats" boss bailey is all over the field for detroit. They play him in coverage alot, so he's not gonna get sacks. I was also on the Boss Bailey bandwagon.

DT

Mr. Laz
11-09-2005, 07:40 PM
This is another case of "screw the stats" boss bailey is all over the field for detroit. They play him in coverage alot, so he's not gonna get sacks. I was also on the Boss Bailey bandwagon.

DT
hey man... just throwing some info out there

i'm not a big detroit watcher :p

i imagine he'd fit in our defense better than kendrell bell ... our linebackers are in coverage against wide receivers half the time it seems.

philfree
11-09-2005, 09:30 PM
LJ was a case where we took the best player possible. If he was really gonna be our pick from the git go why would we have traded down? It was said to be a pick for insurance incase Holmes couldn't return from his injury. IMO that was just spin and the real reason we drafted him when he was still available after we traded down was because he was by far the best player left on the board. A real steal of a deal. It was the right move then and its coming to bare. I liked the 1-2 punch and I thought we were doing it the right way with the rotation but if LJ finds a groove we may well be a more potent offense. The last 5 games of last season with LJ as the main RB we averaged 44 points a game. I sure like to put up 44 this week.

PhilFree:arrow:

HolmeZz
11-09-2005, 10:00 PM

I wanted Boss too.