PDA

View Full Version : Saunders to the Rams? Chiefs possibly eyeing Martz?

cmh6476
11-09-2005, 05:04 PM
I would hope the Chiefs would tell Martz to fock off!

Don't know where this guy found this? (http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186824)

Preist Holmes might not be the only guy to retire in K.C. It has long been thought that this will be Dick Vermeil's final season as a head coach, and the Chiefs (we hear) are starting to eyeball possible replacements.

The in-house favorite is offensive coordinator Al Saunders. But Saunders, it seems, already has caught the attention of the Rams. He could land in St. Louis not long after John Shaw and company officially part ways with Mike Martz.

And at that point Martz would be on the list of potential candidates to replace Vermeil -- just as he did nearly six years ago with the Rams.

Other guys who could get consideration for the vacancy, if Vermeil vamooses, are Jeff Fisher of the Titans, Herm Edwards of the Jets, Jim Haslett of the Saints, Bob Stoops of Oklahoma, and Pete Carroll of USC.

A dark horse in this race is Bill Cowher of the Steelers. He is tight with King Carl, and his name has been quietly mentioned over the past couple of years as the potential successor to Vermeil.

But Coach Chin basically has a lifetime pass in Pittsburgh, and it'd be hard for him to walk away from that security and continuity unless there's something going on behind the scenes that is making him pine for a change of scenery.

We speculated when Cowher received an extension after a 6-10 season that the Rooneys realized the long-time field boss might soon ask out in order to take the Chiefs job, and that they would then accept his resignation with slightly more genuine reluctance than Scooter Libby's received.

Since then, however, the Chin Man has led the team to 21 wins in 24 regular-season games. So we've got a feeling that the Steelers won't be as inclined to let Cowher walk after 2005 as they might have been if he'd asked for a release from his contract a couple of years ago.

cmh6476
11-09-2005, 05:07 PM
I could however foresee Saunders taking the Rams coaching job, as I've gotten the impression that he isn't going to get a chance to coach the Chiefs with Peterson running the show...

Brock
11-09-2005, 05:07 PM
I don't think Martz will be hired by any team.

cmh6476
11-09-2005, 05:09 PM

Why not the Vikes? I think Martz wants to coach again, but I don't think StL is willing to let him have his old job back.

beavis
11-09-2005, 05:09 PM
I don't see Cowher leaving Pittsburgh for KC either.

Adept Havelock
11-09-2005, 05:10 PM

We can only hope. That self-described "genius" needs a long walk to a Division II or High-School team somewhere.

nychief
11-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Saunders lives in St. Louis, I believe.

Deberg_1990
11-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Cowher: I seriously doubt it.....and he has a young franchise QB to work with there in Pittsburgh.
Jim Haslett?? Oh god, please NO!!!!
Herm Edwards: Yea sure, I guess......well maybe???
Stoops and Carroll: Nah....I dont think they would succeed in the NFL. Caroll already had his shot with 2 franchises and sucked.
Martz...Another HC who knows nothing about defense?? Next please...
Jeff Fisher...Yes Please!!

plbrdude
We can only hope. That self-described "genius" needs a long walk to a Division II or High-School team somewhere.

my vote would be a pop warner team

cmh6476
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

profootballtalk, take it for what it's worth. Check this ou that I found from that site:

HOLMES NOT RETIRING . . . IF VERMEIL DOES

With multiple media sources now reporting that Chiefs running back Priest Holmes will not play again this season, we hear that Holmes decided to defer any talk of retirement pending further developments.

Specifically, Holmes might not retire if head coach Dick Vermeil does.

The problem, as we've explained multiple times over the past few days and confirmed this afternoon, is that folks in the locker room believe that Vermeil is working the team too hard. Sure, Holmes has had 1,521 touches since coming to Kansas City -- but that's all the more reason not to bang him up in practice.

So by not walking away from the game right now, Holmes will hang onto that $10.1 million in bonus money he got two years ago. He also receives his full salary of $2.415 million.

the Talking Can
11-09-2005, 05:14 PM
I could see Saunders going to the Rams, but no way in hell Martz ends ups here.

Jesus, we would truly be cursed.

Brock
11-09-2005, 05:14 PM

I think he'll have to settle for the Saints.

Skip Towne
11-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Martz!!!!!!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

nychief
11-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Jeff Fisher is the best coach on that list.

Deberg_1990
11-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Martz!!!!!!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

As bad as that sounds...id take him in a heartbeat over Haslett.....

the Talking Can
11-09-2005, 05:17 PM
As bad as that sounds...id take him in a heartbeat over Haslett.....

I'd take a kick in the groin over both of them.

beavis
11-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Caroll already had his shot with 2 franchises and sucked.
I'm not disagreeing or anything, but Belichick did too.

Brock
11-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Saunders lives in St. Louis, I believe.

He has lived in KC since he was last here, IIRC.

Extra Point
11-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Fresh news from Frank Boal!!!

Excellent!!

CoMoChief
11-09-2005, 05:24 PM
IF MIKE MARTZ BECOMES THE HEAD COACH OF THE CHIEFS, I WILL NOT AND I REPEAT WILL NOT ASSOCIATE MYSELF WITH THE CHIEFS IN ANY WAY SHAPE, FASHION, OR FORM!!!!

Deberg_1990
11-09-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm not disagreeing or anything, but Belichick did too.

Very true....so ya never know, but even when Belicheck was with Cleveland, they were decent at times and had a good defense. I never saw anything that Carroll did with the Jets and Pats that looked good. But ya never know?? Perhaps he would do better? The knock on Carroll is he has always been too laid back and buddy buddy with his players.

John_Wayne
My list in order of preference:
1. Saunders
2. Cowher
3. Fisher

Brock
Very true....so ya never know, but even when Belicheck was with Cleveland, they were decent at times and had a good defense. I never saw anything that Carroll did with the Jets and Pats that looked good. But ya never know?? Perhaps he would do better? The knock on Carroll is he has always been too laid back and buddy buddy with his players.

Carroll won a playoff game in NE. That looks pretty good to me right now.

Mr. Laz
11-09-2005, 05:26 PM
think gunther cunningham

siberian khatru
11-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Caroll. Did. Not. Suck.

He has a career winning record. He made the playoffs twice in his four years in the league. He won a playoff game.

He may not have been a great or even good coach. But there have been far, far, far, far, far more coaches who have truly sucked -- you know, losing records, no playoffs, etc.

And has been pointed out, Belichick's pre-Super Bowl record is almost identical to Carroll's.

Deberg_1990
11-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Carroll won a playoff game in NE. That looks pretty good to me right now.

Really?? I honestly dont remember that....

Skip Towne
11-09-2005, 05:29 PM
I would take Cowher head and shoulders over anybody else out there. But I can't see why he would leave the Steelers.

CoMoChief
11-09-2005, 05:30 PM
I would rather have Kelly Donohoe from Blue Springs High School, than Mike Martz.

Brock
11-09-2005, 05:32 PM
I would take Cowher head and shoulders over anybody else out there. But I can't see why he would leave the Steelers.

He wouldn't. Ever. For any reason other than he died.

Anyong Bluth
11-09-2005, 05:33 PM
If we're plucking local talent, why not at least get the best? Take Severino from Rockhurst.

I said it a while back. I'd love Cowher. I just am indifferent towards Fisher - who everyone seems to drool over, but for some reason I do think he could give Shanny and the rest of the west a real fit.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Martz & Al Davis

they got the WRs

Skip Towne
11-09-2005, 05:35 PM
He wouldn't. Ever. For any reason other than he died.
If he died they would bring him to KC for burial?

joesomebody
11-09-2005, 05:36 PM
I can't stand Mike Martz... Please lord no.

KChiefsQT
11-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Other guys who could get consideration for the vacancy, if Vermeil vamooses, are Jeff Fisher of the Titans, Herm Edwards of the Jets, Jim Haslett of the Saints, Bob Stoops of Oklahoma, and Pete Carroll of USC.

From this list.... I would go with Pete Carroll... love the guy. But if Cowher was an option, he'd be #1 in my eyes... but I don't see that happening.

Rausch
11-09-2005, 05:43 PM
think gunther cunningham

Wouldn't surprise me at all...

StcChief
11-09-2005, 05:44 PM
Gun again....has a few more years under his belt....

Back to run/play action, K, play D.

HC????

nychief
11-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Gun again....has a few more years under his belt....

Back to run/play action, K, play D.

HC????

take it back. take it back, while you have the chance.

Frazod
11-09-2005, 05:56 PM
F#ck Martz. The very notion of that makes me want to friggin puke.

I don't want Saunders, either. He can go to St. Louis and stay there.

And why anybody would want Cowher is beyond me. He's Marty with a prominant chin - the only difference is he gets deeper in the playoffs before his annual like-clockwork choke job.

Of the people on the list, I'd probably take Fisher first.

Of course, it ain't up to me. But God, I don't want Martz. JUST SAY NO. :cuss:

Adept Havelock
11-09-2005, 06:02 PM
I think he'll have to settle for the Saints.

ROFL
Oy...hasn't that team suffered enough?

nychief
11-09-2005, 06:03 PM
I dunno guys, Gunther is a pretty hot coaching prospect... since we fired him he must have interviewed for, er, a bunch of NFL jobs.

B_Ambuehl
11-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Think how a team like Baltimore with absolutely no offense the last eternity might feel about getting a Mike martz in there to get some offense going? I'd take him in a heart beat if I was GM for a team like Baltimore. They need somebody to get the fans excited about some offense. No way he can screw that defense up.

Sure-Oz
11-09-2005, 06:19 PM
I think he'd go as ann OFF. Coord. but not a HC.

Ralphy Boy
11-09-2005, 06:20 PM
I can easily see Saunders going to St Louis whether he got offered the job here or not. Steven Jackson, Bulger, Holt, Curtis, Pace, Alex Barron along with some very talented young defensive players. If he went there and we got Martz, I'd become a Rams fan. Looking at the roster, the Ram's should be a lot better than they are and that is because of coaching.

I cannot believe we'd let Gun be HC again after him not getting it done the first time because CP wouldn't want to fire him again, he'd rather lock him in as a DC. Better to not give the guy the job in the 2nd place than have to fire him again. I'm a fan of Gun's past D's, but he hasn't exactly worked miracles here so far and I hated him as a HC, he was an embarrassment.

Cowher has a very good QB in BR and a great gig in Pittsburgh, that relationship means more than any supposed love he might have for KC.

Haslett needs to be a d-coordinator again like he was in Pittsburgh, although I'd think he'd have to be on their short list if for some reason Cowher were to leave. Make no mistake about it, he was a very good DC.

Pete Carroll could very well end up coaching at Houston with his golden boy Matt Leinert, because he'd be given at least 4 years no matter what his record under a very good owner. He won't take just any NFL gig, he's got it too good now, so he wouldn't go to the Saints because they are too shady.

If Jeff Fisher did leave Tennessee, I could see him going to Pitt if Cowher did leave, but I don't see that happening either. The most likely replacement in Tennessee would be Carroll, who'd be reunited with Chow and then them drafting Leinert would be a distinct possibility. My guess though would be that if Carroll left USC, Chow would become the head coach there.

Minnesota went from having an unbelieveable offense with Culpepper and Moss to very ordinary in a hurry without Moss. Coaching has a lot to do with it because they weren't that bad last season when Moss was injured. Seems like losing Scott Linehan had a pretty big effect.

If we lose Saunders to someplace else, it'll take a while to get us back to the level he could step right in at. Saunders makes the most sense period for us because we have so many older players and CP has shown that in the past when the coach he loves leaves, he likes to replace him with the closest thing to him Gun was to Marty what Saunders is to DV. This isn't a primo gig for any HC, the O line is old, along with the QB, no premier WR and a bad defense.

Bob Dole
11-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Hiring Mike Martz is about the only thing imaginable that would make Bob Dole burn every piece of Chiefs gear Bob Dole owns.

(But of course, Bob Dole does not own season tickets any more so nobody within the organization gives a shit.)

the Talking Can
11-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Hiring Mike Martz is about the only thing imaginable that would make Bob Dole burn every piece of Chiefs gear Bob Dole owns.

(But of course, Bob Dole does not own season tickets any more so nobody within the organization gives a shit.)

I would add "Hiring Gun as HC AGAIN" to that list.

milkman
11-09-2005, 07:11 PM
So all of this is just speculation by some schmuck on a FF forum?

Cochise
11-09-2005, 07:21 PM
This is not the first place that I have read the Pete Carroll rumor. It wouldn't come as a surprise.

jidar
11-09-2005, 07:28 PM
I don't like Martz and he wouldn't be my choice to come coach here, but you guys are nuts if you think he wont be a head coach in the NFL next year. His stock is still fairly high around the league despite how much he gets clowned on, and there aren't enough good Head Coaches to go around that Martz is going to sit.

Cower isn't going anywhere.

Of the ones left, I'd take Edwards.

Logical
11-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Martz, oh hell no!!!

Jim Haslett of the Saints, Bob Stoops of Oklahoma, . Please God no to these two

and Pete Carroll of USC Please God yes, but Carroll would be insane to leave USC to work for Carl (the disaster) Peterson.

cmh6476
11-09-2005, 07:46 PM
So all of this is just speculation by some schmuck on a FF forum?
isn't everything speculation at some point? This is an article from a website though, not rhetoric on a forum...

milkman
11-09-2005, 07:52 PM
This is not the first place that I have read the Pete Carroll rumor. It wouldn't come as a surprise.

Of the names mentioned here, he's the only one that I would want to see get the job in KC.

I want no part of Martz, Cowher, Edwards or Haslett.

Mr. Kotter
11-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Man, where do they get this stuff? :shake:

In other news, TO is signing with the Chiefs before Sunday....and Rich Scanlan will be our new Left Tackle.

Cochise
11-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Of the names mentioned here, he's the only one that I would want to see get the job in KC.

I want no part of Martz, Cowher, Edwards or Haslett.

Dunno how I feel about Carroll, but I don't particularly want any of those... cept Cowher but I can't picture him leaving.

milkman
11-09-2005, 07:59 PM
isn't everything speculation at some point? This is an article from a website though, not rhetoric on a forum...

Other than the fact that this site is dedicated to the Chiefs, and that site is dedicated to fantasy football, I don't see any difference.

This is speclation from some schmuck with the user name 'Portis 26' that posts on that forum.

Claynus
11-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Martz, oh hell no!!!

Please God no to these two

Please God yes, but Carroll would be insane to leave USC to work for Carl (the disaster) Peterson.

Your post is an enigma.

Martz and Haslett suck. I don't know what's wrong with Stoops, but I know I don't like rookie head coaches.

Meanwhile Pete Carroll is an awful NFL head coach. He should stay in college.

If the Chiefs hired Pete Carroll I'd kill myself.

milkman
11-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Dunno how I feel about Carroll, but I don't particularly want any of those... cept Cowher but I can't picture him leaving.

With the age factor on the Chiefs on the offensive side, this team is on it's way to a rebuilding stage.

A guy like Carroll just might be the kind of coach the kids that will be Chiefs will respond to.

Logical
11-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Your post is an enigma.

Martz and Haslett suck. I don't know what's wrong with Stoops, but I know I don't like rookie head coaches.

Meanwhile Pete Carroll is an awful NFL head coach. He should stay in college.

If the Chiefs hired Pete Carroll I'd kill myself.Bellecheck failed his first time around as a NFL head coach as well or have you forgotten?

Now I really want Carroll.:D

Claynus
11-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Good point.

Tribal Warfare
11-09-2005, 08:40 PM
Cowher, Fisher, and Haslett could be work IMO

Cochise
Meanwhile Pete Carroll is an awful NFL head coach.

Carroll is 33-31 all time in the NFL and 1-2 in the postseason.

He coached 4 seasons in the NFL, the first 6-10 with the Jets, and the final 3 with the Pats he was 10-6, 9-7, and 8-8. Won the division in 1997 and a home playoff game against Miami before losing @Pittsburgh. 2 playoff appearances out of 3 with New England.

Not really spectacular but not what I would call awful.

Claynus
Pats fans wanted to run him out of town.

ExtremeChief
11-09-2005, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't mind Fisher, I think he's a good coach with very poor talent.

I thought Carroll was ok in the NFL, but he's "buddy-buddy" with his players, just like Vermiel is.

One of the most well balanced coaches I've seen is Billick. He built a hell of an offense in Minnesota and a good defense in Baltimore. If he ever got a decent QB in Baltimore they could get back in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind if KC gave him a chance.

I don't want a martycyple here. I want someone who will take chances and play to win, not play not to lose.

Muck Fartz. He's an egotistical bastard and has lost games because of it. I'm not sure that Saunders wouldn't be the same way.

Cochise
11-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Pats fans wanted to run him out of town.

I would rather have us give a championship college coach a shot than a failed reject of a coach from another team like haslett or edwards

Claynus
11-09-2005, 08:46 PM
I would rather have us give a championship college coach a shot than a failed reject of a coach from another team like haslett or edwards

Yeah I can see that.

Tribal Warfare
11-09-2005, 08:50 PM

Individuals must've forgotten that Haslett was Coach of the year after is first season as the Saints HC by Leading them to from worst to first.

tk13
11-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Think how a team like Baltimore with absolutely no offense the last eternity might feel about getting a Mike martz in there to get some offense going? I'd take him in a heart beat if I was GM for a team like Baltimore. They need somebody to get the fans excited about some offense. No way he can screw that defense up.
That's what Brian Billick is supposed to be, a brilliant offensive mind. He got the job after being the OC for the Vikings in 98, the year they set the NFL record for points in a season... which still stands I do believe...

milkman
11-09-2005, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't mind Fisher, I think he's a good coach with very poor talent.

I thought Carroll was ok in the NFL, but he's "buddy-buddy" with his players, just like Vermiel is.

One of the most well balanced coaches I've seen is Billick. He built a hell of an offense in Minnesota and a good defense in Baltimore. If he ever got a decent QB in Baltimore they could get back in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind if KC gave him a chance.

I don't want a martycyple here. I want someone who will take chances and play to win, not play not to lose.

Muck Fartz. He's an egotistical bastard and has lost games because of it. I'm not sure that Saunders wouldn't be the same way.

Did Billick build that offense in Minnesota or was that Denny Green?

He sure as hell hasn't been able to build an offense in Baltimore in 10 seasons there.

And since Lewis left, that D has started to decline, though that could be attributed the inevitable effects of age.

ExtremeChief
11-09-2005, 08:54 PM

He sure as hell hasn't been able to build an offense in Baltimore in 10 seasons there.

And since Lewis left, that D has started to decline, though that could be attributed the inevitable effects of age.

I really can't say for sure, but there isn't much offense in Arizona. But in all fairness, there really isn't much of anything in Arizona I guess.

I just want someone who will not concentrate solely on one side of the ball. Maybe there isn't anyone like that.

tk13
11-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Really, looking over the last 10 years, all the Super Bowl winning head coaches were previously NFL coordinators before getting their job, save Dick Vermeil. Other than that, Belichick, Gruden, Billick, Shanahan, and Holmgren were all coordinators. I don't know what that means, but there you go.

Cochise
11-09-2005, 08:57 PM

He has missed on QB's or it might not be a bad team today. Jamal Lewis has fallen off and they've been lacking a QB for his entire tenure.

But, he's at least been around a great D even if that was Lewis, and he's run a great O before, so presumably he would know what it takes to put it all together.

Frankie
11-09-2005, 08:57 PM
My list in order of preference:
1. Saunders
2. Cowher
3. Fisher
:thumb:

Cochise
11-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Really, looking over the last 10 years, all the Super Bowl winning head coaches were previously NFL coordinators before getting their job, save Dick Vermeil. Other than that, Belichick, Gruden, Billick, Shanahan, and Holmgren were all coordinators. I don't know what that means, but there you go.

Yeah, I thought about it, but who are the up and coming coordinators out there available?

I would love to have a hire like that instead of a head coach reject, but... who would they be? Tom Moore? Monte Kiffin?

milkman
11-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I thought about it, but who are the up and coming coordinators out there available?

I would love to have a hire like that instead of a head coach reject, but... who would they be? Tom Moore? Monte Kiffin?

Mike Trgovic, Panthers DC.

tk13
11-09-2005, 09:03 PM

I know Eagles OC Brad Childress has been brought up in the rumor mill as someone Carl seems to like. I don't know about that though. I'd rather have Jim Johnson... love his blitzing defenses.

Cochise
11-09-2005, 09:05 PM

Defensive lineman Michigan 1977-80. College coach: Michigan 1984-85, Ball State 1986-88, Navy 1989, Colorado State 1990-91, Notre Dame 1992-94. Pro coach: Philadelphia Eagles 1995-98, Green Bay Packers 1999, Washington Redskins 2000-01, joined Panthers in 2002.

:hmmm:

milkman
11-09-2005, 09:07 PM
He has missed on QB's or it might not be a bad team today. Jamal Lewis has fallen off and they've been lacking a QB for his entire tenure.

Then one might argue Jeff Smith (I believe that's the name) was the architect of that Viking offense, and Denny Green and Billick were just caretakers.

Billick in Baltimore thought that Grbac, Elvis Freakin' Grbac, was a QB answer.
When that guy misses, he misses by a damn country mile.

But, he's at least been around a great D even if that was Lewis, and he's run a great O before, so presumably he would know what it takes to put it all together.

I just don't have any faith that a guy that is widely veiwed as an offensive guru, who misses as badly as he has, can be expected to do anything on either side of the ball.

Tribal Warfare
11-09-2005, 09:16 PM

:thumb:

cmh6476
11-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Other than the fact that this site is dedicated to the Chiefs, and that site is dedicated to fantasy football, I don't see any difference.

This is speclation from some schmuck with the user name 'Portis 26' that posts on that forum.

actually, he found it off profootballtalk.com

milkman
11-09-2005, 09:22 PM
actually, he found it off profootballtalk.com

You mean every schmuck's favorite ridiculous rumor site?

cmh6476
11-09-2005, 09:23 PM
You mean every schmuck's favorite ridiculous rumor site?

I never said it was legit, just that it was from an actual article rather than a fantasy forum...

greg63
11-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Martz??? BAD!!!

Reaper16
11-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Trgovac may be the scariest looking man in pro football.

jidar
11-09-2005, 11:08 PM
One thing that nobody has mentioned is our personell.
Trent Green has never run anything but this offense and he's not going to switch offenses at the end of his career. Meanwhile Tony G has said that he wants to be here as long as Trent is. Between those two things I bet Al get's his shot just because of that.

edit:
If not Al then another coach who will want to go with some variation of the AC offense. Yes, that means Martz will probably be given serious consideration, hopefully they dimiss the idea.

If Al were to get the job I'd bet you he would make acquisition of a top 10 WR a high priority.

Honestly the idea doesn't sound so bad to me.

Rausch
11-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Trent Green has never run anything but this offense and he's not going to switch offenses at the end of his career. Meanwhile Tony G has said that he wants to be here as long as Trent is. Between those two things I bet Al get's his shot just because of that.

edit: adding more...

I'd bet you're wrong.

I'll make a year long avatar bet (where's Titus?) than Capers is the HC of this team before Saunders is...

jidar
11-09-2005, 11:19 PM
I'd bet you're wrong.

I'll make a year long avatar bet (where's Titus?) than Capers is the HC of this team before Saunders is...

I'd have to be pretty stupid to bet that I know who the HC is going to be huh? It's a lot easier to bet who it isn't going to be.

In any case Capers actually fits the mold as a HC who would put in an offense similar to what we are running now.

el borracho
11-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Bellecheck failed his first time around as a NFL head coach as well or have you forgotten?
By that logic Saunders and/ or Cunningham are perfect choices.

Rausch
11-09-2005, 11:32 PM
I'd have to be pretty stupid to bet that I know who the HC is going to be huh? It's a lot easier to bet who it isn't going to be.

In any case Capers actually fits the mold as a HC who would put in an offense similar to what we are running now.

And he's the guy that made the modern 3-4 (that Gun loves) a household name.

A HC that agrees with Gun, would come highly recomended by many in the CP circle (Cowher, Marty, etc) and maintain continuity.

Something CP is big on. And unlike Cowher or Herm Edwards it looks like Capers will be a FA this offseason...

jidar
11-09-2005, 11:36 PM

A HC that agrees with Gun, would come highly recomended by many in the CP circle (Capers, Marty, etc) and maintain continuity.

Something CP is big on. And unlike Capers or Herm Edwards it looks like Capers will be a FA this offseason...

Yeah, you're right. Capers looks like a pretty good fit. It could happen.

Saggysack
11-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Jeff Fisher is the best coach on that list.

And the most overrated coach on that list.

Would someone please tell me why they think Jeff Fisher is a great coach.

Rausch
11-09-2005, 11:52 PM

He almost won a super bowl with ****ing Steve McNair.

Give that a minute to sink in...

Saggysack
11-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Yeah, you're right. Capers looks like a pretty good fit. It could happen.

Dom Capers has had one successful season in the NFL. The rest have been crap. I'll pass.

Saggysack
11-09-2005, 11:55 PM
He almost won a super bowl with ****ing Steve McNair.

Give that a minute to sink in...

And hasn't done shit before or since.

Bobby Ross went to the Superbowl with Neil ****ing O'Donnell. Ross must be a god by your reasoning.

Barry Switzer even won a SB. Where does he fit in on the greatness chart?

Saggysack
11-09-2005, 11:57 PM
My choice is Ron Rivera.

Saggysack
11-09-2005, 11:58 PM

Bobby Ross went to the Superbowl with Neil ****ing O'Donnell. Ross must be a god by your reasoning.

Barry Switzer even won a SB. Where does he fit in on the greatness chart?

Ohh, excuse me. I'm wrong. Stan ****ing Humphries that is.

Saggysack
11-10-2005, 12:13 AM
So that's it? Fisher has 'almost won a super bowl with Steve Mcnair'.

Is that what makes him a great coach? Surely that can't be it. Oh come on now guys, don't hold back on me. Tell me what you really feel makes him a great coach. There has to be more than that.

Rausch
11-10-2005, 12:16 AM

No, Ross went to the super bowl AGAINST Neil ****ing O'donnell....

Saggysack
11-10-2005, 12:39 AM
No, Ross went to the super bowl AGAINST Neil ****ing O'donnell....

Ohh, excuse me. I'm wrong. Stan ****ing Humphries that is.

Rausch
11-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Stam Humphries smack...

And Ross got emasculated with that crew.

Jeff was 1 and 1/2 yard from victory.

HUGE difference...

Saggysack
11-10-2005, 12:57 AM
And Ross got emasculated with that crew.

Jeff was 1 and 1/2 yard from victory.

HUGE difference...

HUGE difference?I don't think so. There is no difference. A loss is a loss.

What do you think about Mike Martz? He only lost by 3 to NE. A game ending FG. Hell,he had his team tied down to the last seconds, not behind like Fisher. Is Martz a great coach too?

Rausch
11-10-2005, 01:00 AM
HUGE difference?I don't think so. There is no difference. A loss is a loss.

What do you think about Mike Martz? He only lost by 3 to NE. A game ending FG. Hell,he had his team tied down to the last seconds, not behind like Fisher. Is Martz a great coach too?

No.

Losing by the 3rd worst margin in SB history is not the same as losing in the last 8 seconds by 1 and 1/2 yards.

Saggysack
11-10-2005, 01:12 AM
No.

Losing by the 3rd worst margin in SB history is not the same as losing in the last 8 seconds by 1 and 1/2 yards.

You are arguing between a loss in a SB and loss in a SB. Do you realize how that sounds?

BTW, I think you might want to check that 3rd worst margin fact of yours. I don't think it is right.

Mecca
11-10-2005, 05:06 AM
If you're going to draft and develop a QB, Mike Martz is someone you want around. He developed 3 QB's into quality NFL starters in the last 7 years. If there's one thing that guy does know it's QB's.

ChiefFan31
11-10-2005, 06:12 AM
No way Cowher is going to leave the Steelers. I have no idea how people could be talking seriously about Cowher coming back to KC as a HC this time. You think he wants to put up with that large CP ego in the War Room every April? Cowher has it good.

Pete Carrol aint going anywhere. He has it made in the shade @ USC right now. maybe in another year or two to the "perfect" situation for him.

Al Saunders, I had my thoughts about him, but not now. If DV does retire, maybe Al will go be HC with the Rams, it does seem like a good fit and I wish the guy well. Unlike past coordinators Jimmy Raye and Paul Hackett - doesnt even reading those two guys names, just stir a bunch of anger and frustration?? Goodness.

Jim Haslett, he isnt a bad coach and damn he is good for some funny soundbites down there in N.O. I dont think he is a good fit at all right now for the Chiefs. You can see it in his eyes, his face, his shoulders...they just have an absolute dark cloud hovering over them, its kinda amazing in bad way for the Bad Luck Saints.

Mike Martz, he WILL be a HC somewhere in the league next year, hopefully not here. If we could somehow attach a dog bark collar around his neck to give him a small electric shock everytime he strayed away from the power running game or was about to make a boneheaded coaching decision, but dont see how that is possible.

Jeff Fisher, I think he is a great coach. It will be interesting to see how things work out down in Tennessee as the season progresses. I think he would lead a list of candidates for the Chiefs, and I would like to have him as our next HC. and c'mon how can you not love the pron stache. that thing alone is good for a victory or two.

Herman Edwards - I think he is a good coach. Yeah, he has made some dumb decisions and has gotten too conservative at times, and I have no idea why he has went with two KC OC retreads in those two horrible names I mentioned above. But man, those Jets were playing as good as they could possibly play in the playoff stretch last year.

Pants
11-10-2005, 06:16 AM
Yeah, but I don't think Cowher will leave the Steelers.

Mr. Kotter
11-10-2005, 06:17 AM
Yeah, but I don't think Cowher will leave the Steelers.

Anyone thinking Cowher is dreaming, or stoned.

I'm pullin' for Fisher, at that moment anyway.

petegz28
11-10-2005, 06:26 AM
I don't see Cowher leaving Pittsburgh for KC either.

I do. He has been here before and is well liked by the fans and would bring the toughness that the fans are wanting.

Oh yes I could see him coming here IF he is worn out in Pitt.

Pants
11-10-2005, 06:40 AM
Anyone thinking Cowher is dreaming, or stoned.

I'm pullin' for Fisher, at that moment anyway.
It was a jok, a jok from old...

Frankie
11-10-2005, 06:42 AM
Bellecheck failed his first time around as a NFL head coach as well or have you forgotten?

Now I really want Carroll.:D
Between him and Stoops, if the Chiefs went the college coach route I'd DEFINITELY prefer Carroll. Stoops won't be any better than Spurrier in the NFL.

Frankie
11-10-2005, 06:46 AM
There was a big write up about the Bears OC recently. His name escapes me though.

Mr. Kotter
11-10-2005, 06:47 AM
It was a jok, a jok from old...

My bad; sorry.

Frankie
11-10-2005, 06:48 AM
The name reminds me too much of Grbac. No vowels in three consecutive letters. Brings back bad memories!

Frankie
11-10-2005, 06:54 AM

edit:
If not Al then another coach who will want to go with some variation of the AC offense. Yes, that means Martz will probably be given serious consideration, hopefully they dimiss the idea.

If Al were to get the job I'd bet you he would make acquisition of a top 10 WR a high priority.

Honestly the idea doesn't sound so bad to me.
I'm one of the biggest supporters of Saunders as our next HC. Your point is excellent support for that notion. As for Martz, I would consider him as an OC only (if at all). But even then I'd be weary of him pulling what Shanahan pulled against Reeves in Denver.

Frankie
11-10-2005, 07:01 AM
By that logic Saunders and/ or Cunningham are perfect choices.
I've proudly used that same logic before. Yes Saunders is still my choice. The best scenario is to hire him as HC and for him to give defensive autonomy to Gun. That includes replacing some 'D' coaches per Gun's preference. I don't think Saunders will be as blindly loyal to no-good coaches on the staff as DV is. I think by promoting Al we'll get all the benefits of DV without the draw backs.

Frankie
11-10-2005, 07:02 AM

I'm not that impressed by him either.

Frankie
11-10-2005, 07:03 AM
My choice is Ron Rivera.Who he?

Hoover
11-10-2005, 07:46 AM
If I were the Lions I'd go after Martz

Saggysack
11-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Who he?

DC for the Bears, previousy before that he was the LB coach for the Eagles. Learned from Buddy Ryan and Mike Ditka. He is credited for developing J. Trotter into a ProBowl player. He is probaly the single reason why the Bears have won half, if not more than half of their games so far this season. In his first season as DC for the Bears his defense set records.

Players coach, tons of coaching potential. I just figure that if we are going to start from scratch, we might as well take a up and coming coach rather than some dolt who hasn't done much of anything for the majority of their careers.

Saggysack
11-10-2005, 07:50 AM
Jeff Fisher, I think he is a great coach. It will be interesting to see how things work out down in Tennessee as the season progresses. I think he would lead a list of candidates for the Chiefs, and I would like to have him as our next HC. and c'mon how can you not love the pron stache. that thing alone is good for a victory or two.

What makes you think he is a great coach? Just curious.

KCTitus
11-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Cowher, Stoops or Caroll -- Ok, I can deal with that, but Martz, Heaven help us. No way!

tomahawk kid
11-10-2005, 07:52 AM
I would do backflips if Cowher ended up here, but it ain't gonna happen.

I'd be happy with Fisher and I'd take Edwards as well.

dirk digler
11-10-2005, 07:58 AM
If Martz becomes the Head Coach i will boycott this team until he is gone.

Frankie
11-10-2005, 07:58 AM
DC for the Bears, previousy before that he was the LB coach for the Eagles. Learned from Buddy Ryan and Mike Ditka. He is credited for developing J. Trotter into a ProBowl player. He is probaly the single reason why the Bears have won half, if not more than half of their games so far this season. In his first season as DC for the Bears his defense set records.

Players coach, tons of coaching potential. I just figure that if we are going to start from scratch, we might as well take a up and coming coach rather than some dolt who hasn't done much of anything for the majority of their careers.

There was a big write up about the Bears OC recently. His name escapes me though.

That makes two up and coming coordinators on the Bears staff. I'm intrigued. A Bears coordinator is fast becoming my 2nd favorite HC scenario. Although my 1st is Saunders. Like I said, he offers DV's positives without DV's negatives.

Frankie
11-10-2005, 07:59 AM
I won't be far behind in that notion.

Saggysack
11-10-2005, 08:04 AM
That makes two up and coming coordinators on the Bears staff. I'm intrigued. A Bears coordinator is fast becoming my 2nd favorite HC scenario. Although my 1st is Saunders. Like I said, he offers DV's positives without DV's negatives.

I'd take Saunders over Fisher, Edwards and Martz. Haslett isn't even in consideration in my mind.

Although, I am skeptical of Saunders as a HC. I'm willing to give him a chance prior to the other HC's listed.

KCTitus
11-10-2005, 08:08 AM

You're a better man than I in that regard...I couldnt do it, but I definately wouldnt be all that enthused about it. Kind of like the Frank Ganz year. *shudder*

Hoover
11-10-2005, 08:08 AM
If you don't want to blow up the team you have to hope for Al Saunders.

With Saunders the Offense stays the same, and maybe Gunther stays.

If we bring in a new HC, we get an entire new Coaching staff, new offense and new defense.

While I think a total rebuild would have its benefits, I just don't think its necessary.

I think the Oline will be solid in the middle (Welbourn taking over for Shields), The Defense is improving, LJ is an upcoming star in the league, Trent & Tony should bounce back. But if Saunders leaves, the only think that is for sure is LJ, and our improving defense.

jspchief
11-10-2005, 08:09 AM
I've yet to hear a name that really appeals to me. It's like choosing the best from a basket full of rotten apples.

It really seems like a bad year to be looking for a coach. I don't want any college coach unless his name is Ferentz. I also don't really want a head coach retread.

I'd much rather get an up and coming coordinator, but there doesn't seem to be many good names out there. Ron Rivera is a possibility. I don't know much about the DC from Carolina.

I almost hope it is Gun or Al. They can try and drag out this sinking ship for another year or two, then we can get a coach when there are some better possibilities out there.

Saggysack
11-10-2005, 08:12 AM

If we bring in a new HC, we get an entire new Coaching staff, new offense and new defense.

While I think a total rebuild would have its benefits, I just don't think its necessary.

I think the Oline will be solid in the middle (Welbourn taking over for Shields), The Defense is improving, LJ is an upcoming star in the league, Trent & Tony should bounce back. But if Saunders leaves, the only think that is for sure is LJ, and our improving defense.

A new HC may not mean all new coaches. It should be up to the HC if he wants to retain anyone. And as I remember, DV kept alot of the old staff when he came to KC. I'm just saying it could go either way.

Who says if Saunders is hired he won't want to get a few new coaches too?

dirk digler
11-10-2005, 08:22 AM
You're a better man than I in that regard...I couldnt do it, but I definately wouldnt be all that enthused about it. Kind of like the Frank Ganz year. *shudder*

I will always love and be a Chiefs fan but the thought of Martz, who I put in the same category as Rich Kotite, as the head coach of my beloved Chiefs makes me want to commit a crime.

dirk digler
11-10-2005, 08:24 AM
I almost hope it is Gun or Al. They can try and drag out this sinking ship for another year or two, then we can get a coach when there are some better possibilities out there.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ct
11-10-2005, 08:59 AM
I'd take a kick in the groin over both of them.

ditto!

Jeff Fisher should not be let go, but if he is, we should be all over him.

chagrin
11-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Although my 1st is Saunders. Like I said, he offers DV's positives without DV's negatives.

I respectfully disagree with you, AS is worse than DV and is more like Martz. He is too damned bigheaded to realize he's fugging up the offense. Who the hell doesn't throw to TG for the first 6 weeks of the year? He's the guy who will ignore the real value for his own mad scientist - like Play calling creations

just my opinion of course, but I believe it

Brock
11-10-2005, 09:09 AM
If I were the Lions I'd go after Martz

That's what makes the Lions the Lions.

Brock
11-10-2005, 09:10 AM
I respectfully disagree with you, AS is worse than DV and is more like Martz. He is too damned bigheaded to realize he's fugging up the offense. Who the hell doesn't throw to TG for the first 6 weeks of the year? He's the guy who will ignore the real value for his own mad scientist - like Play calling creations

Al Saunders is dazzled by his own brilliance. Just hand the damn ball off and run play action, Al. That is what this team is.

htismaqe
11-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Martz, Saunders...meh.

Six of one, one-half dozen of the other.

Frankie
11-10-2005, 10:11 AM

Agreed totally. We have a great and exciting 'O' (systemwise). Why dump it? With Saunders, we'll be reloading while some of the players on the roster still fit the system, and while we complete the process of rebuilding the 'D.' Reloading can bring us back towards the top after next year. Without Saunders we will have to rebuild, not reload. That means the new system will find some of our solid existing players unusable. The roster will have to be purged and it will take many years of being a bottom team with no assurance that the new coach will pan out. Continuity is what we need to go for. And that only comes with Saunders as HC. The risk of him not panning out is no greater than any other candidate out there.

Mr. Kotter
11-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Martz, Saunders...meh.

Six of one, one-half dozen of the other.

Wanna join me on the Jeff Fisher bandwagon? :)

Frankie
11-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Who says if Saunders is hired he won't want to get a few new coaches too?
Gee, I hope he will. But I also hope he'll allow Gun to pick them (if you catch my drift).

Frankie
11-10-2005, 10:19 AM

Do you really think, with Black protecting Trent's blindside, we had any other choice than using our TE for anything more than blocking? Plus DV has the final say in such matters not AS. I see no blame for Saunders on that.

Frankie
11-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Martz, Saunders...meh.

Six of one, one-half dozen of the other.Wrong!. Martz is a Napoleonic headcase. Saunders has much tighter screws on his neck.

Calcountry
11-10-2005, 10:25 AM
I would hope the Chiefs would tell Martz to fock off!

Don't know where this guy found this? (http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186824)Have him meet the fockers, then have him fock off.

chagrin
11-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Do you really think, with Black protecting Trent's blindside, we had any other choice than using our TE for anything more than blocking? Plus DV has the final say in such matters not AS. I see no blame for Saunders on that.

Yes, because JD can also block (very well I might add), we could have run 2 TE sets for protection and still have TG run a good route that would get him the ball.

KChiefs1
11-10-2005, 10:45 AM
My "sources" have told me that Martz will be coaching the Houston Texans next season. :)

Frankie
11-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Yes, because JD can also block (very well I might add), we could have run 2 TE sets for protection and still have TG run a good route that would get him the ball.
I don't disagree with that. However I give them the benefit of the doubt that a 2TE set pretty much gives away their 'O' and is pretty predictable if run all the time. You have a star like Gonzo so at least you use them in the line up with your usual system to keep their 'D' honest. They don't have to know that he's there only to help the tackles. You and I may not completely agree with DV (and AS) on this strategy. But I, for one, love their overall offensive strategy and don't want to lose it. That means guys like Saunders and Solari are to be kept at all cost, IMO.

MOhillbilly
11-10-2005, 10:57 AM
as long as the next HC brings in the 46 hybrid its all i care about.

PastorMikH
11-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Several of those names scare me. The thought of Cowher would be awesome but why should he leave the Steelers?

Above names I'd be interested in as HC replacments (In order)

Cowher
Cowher
Carroll
Stoops
Edwards

Name from above that I'm not too crazy about :

Fisher

Names from above I DO NOT want: (In no particular order)

Martz
Saunders
Haslet

htismaqe
11-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Wanna join me on the Jeff Fisher bandwagon? :)

Um, no. I'd prefer not to hire somebody else's failure...

htismaqe
11-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Agreed totally. We have a great and exciting 'O' (systemwise). Why dump it? With Saunders, we'll be reloading while some of the players on the roster still fit the system, and while we complete the process of rebuilding the 'D.' Reloading can bring us back towards the top after next year. Without Saunders we will have to rebuild, not reload. That means the new system will find some of our solid existing players unusable. The roster will have to be purged and it will take many years of being a bottom team with no assurance that the new coach will pan out. Continuity is what we need to go for. And that only comes with Saunders as HC. The risk of him not panning out is no greater than any other candidate out there.

How does hiring Saunders as HC guarantee we'll KEEP it?

I distinctly remember hiring Gunther Cunningham as head coach and immediately switching to a soft zone defense...

htismaqe
11-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Several of those names scare me. The thought of Cowher would be awesome but why should he leave the Steelers?

Above names I'd be interested in as HC replacments (In order)

Cowher
Cowher
Carroll
Stoops
Edwards

Name from above that I'm not too crazy about :

Fisher

Names from above I DO NOT want: (In no particular order)

Martz
Saunders
Haslet

If we get Cowher, I'll be sick.

morphius
11-10-2005, 12:18 PM
If the Chiefs bring in Haslett I'm going to frickin lose it.

KCTitus
11-10-2005, 12:18 PM

Why? Too Marty-esque? He has won playoff games at Pitt...

htismaqe
11-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Why? Too Marty-esque? He has won playoff games at Pitt...

He's been here before. I don't like recycling.

KCTitus
11-10-2005, 12:33 PM
He's been here before. I don't like recycling.'

Fair enough. Im ambivalent for the most part.

morphius
11-10-2005, 12:39 PM
'

Fair enough. Im ambivalent for the most part.
Yeah, thats about where I am. There are a few coaches I don't want to see here, Haslett, Martz and possibly Fisher; but other then that I don't care.

I would prefer to see us get someone who isn't a HC right now in the NFL.

Frankie
11-10-2005, 12:51 PM
How does hiring Saunders as HC guarantee we'll KEEP it?

I distinctly remember hiring Gunther Cunningham as head coach and immediately switching to a soft zone defense...
No guarantee. Just a reasonably strong possibility. That possibility, IMO, is higher than any possibility of success in the forseeable future with a new HC and a new system. If Saunders proves any good I can look at only next year as a down year. With another HC and a new system it'll take at least several years at best. The downside of that will be going through another Wiggin to Ganz cycle. I'm not ready for that. Are you?

htismaqe
11-10-2005, 01:00 PM
No guarantee. Just a reasonably strong possibility. That possibility, IMO, is higher than any possibility of success in the forseeable future with a new HC and a new system. If Saunders proves any good I can look at only next year as a down year. With another HC and a new system it'll take at least several years at best. The downside of that will be going through another Wiggin to Ganz cycle. I'm not ready for that. Are you?

Several years? Hire a GOOD coach and you'll have a good team just as fast as you might with trying to hang on with Saunders.

Carl tried to stretch the Marty years with Gunther and it was a disaster. I'd prefer not to repeat that in any way. When Vermeil leaves, Saunders should go with him.

KCTitus
11-10-2005, 01:01 PM

That's kind of the way Im leaning as well.

Area 51
11-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Martz is a loser, why bring him to KC?

htismaqe
11-10-2005, 01:02 PM

Now you're talking...

Area 51
11-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Quote: <HR SIZE=1>Originally Posted by morphius
I would prefer to see us get someone who isn't a HC right now in the NFL. <HR SIZE=1>

That's kind of the way Im leaning as well.

I'd say the same with the exception of Bill Cower.

Brock
11-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Keeping an assistant around to take the job after the boss leaves hasn't worked since Siefert took over for Walsh. IMO, the only reason anyone does it is because they don't want to go to the trouble of looking for someone better.

Logical
11-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Between him and Stoops, if the Chiefs went the college coach route I'd DEFINITELY prefer Carroll. Stoops won't be any better than Spurrier in the NFL.That is my thinking as well.

dsgreene285
11-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Keeping an assistant around to take the job after the boss leaves hasn't worked since Siefert took over for Walsh. IMO, the only reason anyone does it is because they don't want to go to the trouble of looking for someone better.

I agree. Based on that, I Ron Rivera gets my vote. He doesn't have the experience, but I like his approch. Reminds me a bit of Bill Cowher in the early days.

morphius
11-10-2005, 02:01 PM
My biggest problem with that is that we would keep a lot of the assistants and if we keep guinta I'm gonna spit. Nobody in that secondary has improved under his tenure.

Coogs
11-10-2005, 02:18 PM
I just hope a couple of the '85 Bears LB's get at least an interview. Rivera is The DC for the Bears now, and Singletary is with the 49ers as a LB coach. Singletary may be a bit green, but I would prefer that to having some old retread that already has made the rounds like most on the original list.

PastorMikH
11-10-2005, 02:40 PM

I like Cowher's style. His teams are typically tough, physical, with a blue-collar work mentality. He also is for building both sides of the ball - tough defense with an offense that can put some points up. Cowher's the reason why I like Pittsburg.

That said, why would he want to leave Pittsburg anyway. He's got a solid team and he'd have to start tanking pretty bad before his job was in jeopardy.

Rausch
11-10-2005, 02:42 PM
I like Cowher's style. His teams are typically tough, physical, with a blue-collar work mentality. He also is for building both sides of the ball - tough defense with an offense that can put some points up. Cowher's the reason why I like Pittsburg.

Ditto, but he ain't goin' nowhere...

Frankie
11-10-2005, 03:27 PM
My biggest problem with that is that we would keep a lot of the assistants and if we keep guinta I'm gonna spit. Nobody in that secondary has improved under his tenure.

In fact guys like Surtain seem to have regressed in the Chiefs uniform. Am I wrong on that?

milkman
11-11-2005, 06:31 AM

A HC that agrees with Gun, would come highly recomended by many in the CP circle (Cowher, Marty, etc) and maintain continuity.

Something CP is big on. And unlike Cowher or Herm Edwards it looks like Capers will be a FA this offseason...

Dom Capers! :banghead:

Maybe he's the guy that will bring Jimmy Raye or Paul Hackett back to KC.

Or how about he just brings Joe Pendry from Houston along with him.

Frankie
11-11-2005, 06:35 AM
Dom Capers! :banghead:

Maybe he's the guy that will bring Jimmy Raye or Paul Hackett back to KC.

Or how about he just brings Joe Pendry from Houston along with him.
That's another argument for giving the job to Saunders. The three stooges are still out there, and a new coach might include any or all of them in his staff........... Yikes!!

KCTitus
11-11-2005, 06:39 AM
In fact guys like Surtain seem to have regressed in the Chiefs uniform. Am I wrong on that?

Ive allways found this to be an interesting phenomenon...especially given the last few years. It seems many have flipped back and forth between talent and coaching.

After 2002, it was the talent, so KC upgraded the talent and nothing improved in 2003.

After the 2003 season, everyone thought it was coaching, so KC replaced the coach and nothing improved in 2004.

After 2004, KC upgraded the talent and it's still not seeming to help. Although many would debate that it has, the passing defense is still pathetic.

milkman
11-11-2005, 06:52 AM
That's another argument for giving the job to Saunders. The three stooges are still out there, and a new coach might include any or all of them in his staff........... Yikes!!

And Al Saunders, who has worked with all of them, might also bring any, or all of them back.

Frankie
11-11-2005, 06:54 AM
Ive allways found this to be an interesting phenomenon...especially given the last few years. It seems many have flipped back and forth between talent and coaching.

After 2002, it was the talent, so KC upgraded the talent and nothing improved in 2003.

After the 2003 season, everyone thought it was coaching, so KC replaced the coach and nothing improved in 2004.

After 2004, KC upgraded the talent and it's still not seeming to help. Although many would debate that it has, the passing defense is still pathetic.
It's neither talent, nor coaching. AS the only factor, I mean. It's a combination of both. I highly doubt the competence of some of our 'D' coaches. Especially Giunta's. By all indications, he's there because DV didn't have the heart to put him out in the street. Saunders will do well to just allow Gun to bring in 'D' coaches he wants.

milkman
11-11-2005, 06:56 AM

I wouldn't call it regessing.

I would call it being misused in a bad scheme.

milkman
11-11-2005, 06:59 AM
It's neither talent, nor coaching. AS the only factor, I mean. It's a combination of both. I highly doubt the competence of some of our 'D' coaches. Especially Giunta's. By all indications, he's there because DV didn't have the heart to put him out in the street. Saunders will do well to just allow Gun to bring in 'D' coaches he wants.

I still don't get why anyone thinks Gun is so great?

He is inconsistent, at best, and has never shown that he can field a good D without outstanding players in most positions, and even then hasn't gotten as much from them as he could.

Ralphy Boy
11-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Just stumbled on this little gem. Cowher sucks, Herm would be awesome, Kill Martz.

thawk
11-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Herm sucks- Kill Herm- Herm was a morron!!!! Anything would have worked out better Hind site is 20/20 grandma always said. Carl prooved her right.

Rausch
11-17-2009, 03:11 PM
My "sources" have told me that Martz will be coaching the Houston Texans next season. :)

Ha!

Lzen
11-17-2009, 03:21 PM
I hate it when people bring up an old thread like this. I thought the Chiefs were looking at Martz now. Thank God this is old news.

loochy
11-17-2009, 04:06 PM
....it's ALLLIIIIVE!!!!!!!!

http://www.applefritter.com/images/zombie_1-9316_640x480.jpg