PDA

View Full Version : B-Ball recruiting: KU 2 - MU 0

Mr. Laz
11-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Posted on Thu, Nov. 10, 2005

KU lands two of its top three

By JASON KING

The Kansas City Star

LAWRENCE — Two national letters of intent found their way onto the desk of Kansas basketball coach Bill Self on Wednesday.

Secretly, he was hoping for three.

Point guard Sherron Collins and small forward Brady Morningstar each signed with KU as expected. But the Jayhawks’ other top target held off on making a decision about his future.

Darrell Arthur, a 6-foot-9 forward from Dallas, indicated through his high school coach Wednesday that he will wait until the spring to choose a college. KU and Indiana are thought to be the co-leaders for Arthur, the 19th-ranked player in the class of 2006. Baylor is also in the running.

NCAA rules prohibited Self from talking about Arthur on Wednesday.

“We’ve got one scholarship left,” he said, “and we’re hoping to use it.”

Arthur’s decision — or rather, his lack of one — wasn’t enough to spoil the day for Self, who added a surefire McDonald’s All-American in Collins and a basketball-smart “gym rat” in Morningstar.

Collins is generally regarded as one of the top two point guard prospects in the country. Self compared the 5-11, 190-pound Chicago native to Illinois guard Dee Brown, a Preseason All-American.

“I’m just relieved it’s over with and that I’ve signed with Kansas,” said Collins, who chose KU over Illinois. “Recruiting got to be a headache. Now I can focus on improving so that I’ll be ready when I get to Lawrence.”

Collins made his official visit to KU during Late Night in the Phog on Oct. 15. He described the atmosphere at Allen Fieldhouse as “breathtaking.”

“He is very explosive,” Self said. “He can finish with one or two hands around the basket. He can dunk on big guys and then be as quick as anyone back down the floor. We think he’s a good shooter, a guy who’s certainly a threat any time he has the ball.”

Self said Collins — who chose the Jayhawks over Illinois — will be ready to make a quick impact because he’s already being tested in “one of the top high school leagues in America.” Self said he can envision a scenario where Collins and current KU point guard Mario Chalmers are on the court at the same time, with Chalmers moving to the off-guard spot.

“Sherron will have an impact here as long as he comes in and takes care of business,” Self said.

Collins has yet to qualify academically.

The 6-3 Morningstar is the son of former Jayhawks forward Roger Morningstar, who lettered at KU in 1974-75. Brady Morningstar graduated from Lawrence Free State High School in May and is playing this season at New Hampton School, a prep school in New Hampshire.

Morningstar chose KU over TCU, Northern Illinois, West Virginia, Tennessee and others.

“He’s athletic and a good shooter,” Self said. “He plays unselfishly and makes the game easier for other guys.”

Missouri waits

Missouri has yet to officially confirm any early-period signings. But Redlands (Okla.) Community College coach Steve Eck told PowerMizzou.com on Wednesday afternoon that one of his players, Ty Morrison, has signed with the Tigers.

Morrison is a 6-7 forward and the third ranked junior-college player in the country for the class of 2006, according to JucoJunction.com.

Missouri also anticipates receiving papers from Newark. N.J., guard Keon Lawrence. And Tyrone Appleton, a point guard out of Cincinnati’s Harmony Prep, reportedly is deciding among MU, Virginia Tech and Washington.

Brock
11-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Self is an insane recruiter. Just unbelieveable.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-10-2005, 10:57 AM
If you want to play basketball for a living why in the hell would you go to Baylor?

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Morrison faxed his letter of intent, but it was not signed by his mother, so it isn't official yet. That will be taken care of shortly.

Lawrence is out of school this week, which may be causing delays.

And Self's recruiting ability amazes me.

Dammit Mike! :cuss:

KChiefs1
11-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Collins has yet to qualify academically. :hmmm:

Saulbadguy
11-10-2005, 11:58 AM
If you want to play basketball for a living why in the hell would you go to Baylor?
Don't know if you've realized this or not, but Baylor has recruited some ballers as of late.

Saulbadguy
11-10-2005, 12:00 PM
KSU recruited a highly touted JUCO recruit out of Florida. 6'8 240 lb PF. LOI isn't signed yet. ****.

schneider221
11-10-2005, 12:28 PM
every year it seems like ksu signs a stud juco or stud player from another country only to see those players never show up... grades and or play pro overseas

Saulbadguy
11-10-2005, 12:29 PM
every year it seems like ksu signs a stud juco or stud player from another country only to see those players never show up... grades and or play pro overseas
Yeah. Then we find a "diamond in the rough" who can't play worth shit. Morias signed a pro contract, apparently worth 6 figures. Whoops.

sedated
11-10-2005, 12:36 PM
If Self shows he can coach, KU Nation will have a collective "Roy Who?"

sedated
11-10-2005, 12:37 PM
KSU recruited a highly touted JUCO recruit out of Florida. 6'8 240 lb PF. LOI isn't signed yet. ****.

Nobody cares about KState

Saulbadguy
11-10-2005, 12:40 PM
I hope Bill Self and his co. have that attitude as well come January. :)

Cochise
11-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Yep Quin still sucks :(

Mr. Laz
11-10-2005, 12:52 PM
sneak attack, sneak attack!!

:) :p

RP_McMurphy
11-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Self can recruit but can he beat Bucknell?

Cochise
11-10-2005, 12:54 PM

What is the streak now, just out of curiousity?

ArrowheadHawk
11-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Self can recruit but can he beat Bucknell?
last year called..............it wants its smack back

Saulbadguy
11-10-2005, 01:49 PM
What is the streak now, just out of curiousity?
31 friggin games. Pretty embarassing. This year IMO will be the best opportunity to break it. Most Hawk fans agree. Still too early to say anything else though, considering i've only seen each team play once.

Pitt Gorilla
11-10-2005, 01:54 PM
MU has received LsOI from Ty Morrison and Keon Lawrence. Keon will be a playa.

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Saul,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to give a shout-out to Jim Wooldridge for developing Lance Harris...

I saw him play in HS, and I never thought he'd be a D-I player (nice shot, good springs, but no hustle, heart or defense, I thought)... the same prognosis I heard from a lot of basketball people in Columbia.

But Wooldridge has found a way to light a fire and get the most out of him...

Wish Quin could pull that off...

RP_McMurphy
11-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Bucknell will never get old trust me the College Basketball world is still laughing over that one.
last year called..............it wants its smack back

Saulbadguy
11-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Saul,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to give a shout-out to Jim Wooldridge for developing Lance Harris...

I saw him play in HS, and I never thought he'd be a D-I player (nice shot, good springs, but no hustle, heart or defense, I thought)... the same prognosis I heard from a lot of basketball people in Columbia.

But Wooldridge has found a way to light a fire and get the most out of him...

Wish Quin could pull that off...
Yeah..Lance Harris has progressed nicely. I'm glad we have him for 2 more years, too. He still is rough on the defensive side of things, but has a great shot, and damn has he got ups.

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 02:37 PM
I came to the Final Four in St. Louis last year and ran into a contingent of kU fans in full regalia, hooping and hollering as if their team was still alive, rather than eliminated in the first round. As my friends and I walked by, the stopped going "woo... jayhawks." to which we replied, simply, "Bucknell."

They flipped us the bird and told us to f*** off.

Good times, good times.

And Bucknell will be relevent until Kansas plays in the NCAA Tournament and wins a first round game... which probably will happen... but until that moment, the joke applies.

DJJasonp
11-10-2005, 03:13 PM
"And in related recruiting news.......Quinn Snyder just missed out this week on a highly touted power forward out of New York because he missed his flight due to a inventory shortage in Columbia of hair gel. Said Quinn, "It's unfortunate that we missed out on a hot prospect....but I never leave home without my hair gel".

Pitt Gorilla
11-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Yeah..Lance Harris has progressed nicely. I'm glad we have him for 2 more years, too. He still is rough on the defensive side of things, but has a great shot, and damn has he got ups.
I'm in the same boat. I didn't think Lance looked like a DI player. He played NO defense and really wasn't team oriented. I did not want him at MU. KSU has made him into a very good player. Wolly deserves credit for that.

Brock
11-10-2005, 03:18 PM
And Bucknell will be relevent until Kansas plays in the NCAA Tournament and wins a first round game... which probably will happen... but until that moment, the joke applies.

Uh, I guess. Does that mean smack about flaming in the first round of the NIT is still relevant?

Saulbadguy
11-10-2005, 03:20 PM
from ESPN.com

Bailiff: Next on the docket, People v. Missouri.

Judge: Quin Snyder, how do you plead?

Snyder: Not guilty. I'm still a hot young coach, aren't I? Maybe? Isn't there someone out there who still has me on their Hot Young Coach rankings? We're still a hip program, even if I did cut my hair.

Quin Snyder
Something better than fifth place would help turn that frown upside down.

Jack McCoy: Your honor, the Tigers have fallen off the map and need to admit it. Actually, they need to admit that they were barely ever on the map. Missouri has never been to a Final Four.

What's more, the past few years have simply been embarrassing. The Tigers have finished between fifth and eighth every season this century in the Big 12. They haven't made the NCAA Tournament field the past two years. They have consistently underachieved, despite allegedly stellar recruiting. And there was that NCAA investigation into Mr. Snyder and his staff (and subsequent sanctions).

It's true that Mizzou finagled a few surprising NCAA tourney wins in 2002, but that only served as an indictment of its regular-season performance. No way that team should have been a No. 12 seed, given its talent. Since then: nothin'.

Your honor, the people request that you scan the preseason magazines in search of any hype pertaining to the Tigers this season. You'll find none.

Judge: Remand. Put 'em in Ricky Clemons' old cell.

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Brock,

Of course it is.

But I don't think anyone expected MU to do anything in the NIT...it's not like we had an All-American lottery pick (proclaimed as the best player in the country by many a beaker), a four-year starter at point guard, one of the best slashers in the country and tons of experience.

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Saul -

That's good stuff. All of it true... I've learned to have no expectations... but you should be able to sympathize. You're a K-State fan. When was the last time you even got INVITED to a postseason tournament?

and if Quin doesn't make the Big Dance this year, he's gone... so expect a new coach in Columbia next season.

KILLER_CLOWN
11-10-2005, 03:25 PM
At least our coach doesn't sleep with his star players' girlfriend. :shake:

Pitt Gorilla
11-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Uh, I guess. Does that mean smack about flaming in the first round of the NIT is still relevant?Absolutely. I was at that game and Deiner was just unbelievable. The guy did not miss. If he had an inch of space and was within 5 feet of the 3 point line, he nailed it. Of course, MU couldn't get anywhere near that close to him, and he killed us. It was still a fun game to watch, due to his marksmanship.

Saulbadguy
11-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Saul -

That's good stuff. All of it true... I've learned to have no expectations... but you should be able to sympathize. You're a K-State fan. When was the last time you even got INVITED to a postseason tournament?

and if Quin doesn't make the Big Dance this year, he's gone... so expect a new coach in Columbia next season.
Bar set much lower. ADTW doesn't really care about men's basketball. BTW - 1999.

2. Same with Wooldridge. I hope.

Pitt Gorilla
11-10-2005, 03:26 PM
At least our coach doesn't sleep with his star players' girlfriend. :shake:
???

KILLER_CLOWN
11-10-2005, 03:27 PM
???

Think Kleiza and Quin. Most women are attracted to that heavy gel look.

Pitt Gorilla
11-10-2005, 03:28 PM
I don't know. It would probably take a pretty big name or a promotion of one of the assistants. MU really likes next year's class and doesn't want to lose them. I guess we'll see.

Pitt Gorilla
11-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Think Kleiza and Quin. Most women are attracted to that heavy gel look.
I didn't hear about that. Wow.

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Killer Clown -

You forgot:
Divorcing his second wife, who is less than two years removed from delivering their baby.
Sleeping with every member of the dance team.
Inhaling coke like it was food—perhaps even with the university's biggest private donor.
Recruiting great talent and never developing it.
Constantly underachieving.

And if you think Self is squeaky-clean, you're naive. I would venture that you could find dozens of minor NCAA violations in any program, if you looked hard enough.

BTW, to all kU fans: You'll have a hard time hurting any Mizzou fans' feelings with smack about Quin. His approval rating is about as low as G.W.'s

KILLER_CLOWN
11-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Killer Clown -

You forgot:
Divorcing his second wife, who is less than two years removed from delivering their baby.
Sleeping with every member of the dance team.
Inhaling coke like it was food—perhaps even with the university's biggest private donor.
Recruiting great talent and never developing it.
Constantly underachieving.

And if you think Self is squeaky-clean, you're naive. I would venture that you could find dozens of minor NCAA violations in any program, if you looked hard enough.

BTW, to all kU fans: You'll have a hard time hurting any Mizzou fans' feelings with smack about Quin. His approval rating is about as low as G.W.'s

I'm not even talking about recruiting violations, just things that should not happen. I don't think Self is sleeping with any of our players girlfriends. Besides everyone knows that violations are like holding calls in football if you don't get caught it's not a violation! Don't even think i'm trying to get rid of Quin, I hope he stays at MU forever.

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 03:35 PM
KC,

So are you saying recruiting violations AREN'T things that should not happen?

My point was: Quin does a lot of s*it I don't agree with. Most prominently, being a bad basketball coach.

And for the record, Kleiza's girlfriend was in her late 20s... not a young coed. Quin likes to pick his younger girls from the Golden Girls.

sedated
11-10-2005, 04:07 PM
This year IMO will be the best opportunity to break it. Most Hawk fans agree.

It'll really break your heart when this young group of studs beats those hayseeds' asses again.

KILLER_CLOWN
11-10-2005, 04:34 PM
KC,

So are you saying recruiting violations AREN'T things that should not happen?

My point was: Quin does a lot of s*it I don't agree with. Most prominently, being a bad basketball coach.

And for the record, Kleiza's girlfriend was in her late 20s... not a young coed. Quin likes to pick his younger girls from the Golden Girls.

I'm saying violations happen at EVERY university, so don't get caught. I realise you and about 3/4 of your fanbase don't like quin, but I guess that doesn't matter to Alden and I'm happy about it. :p

WilliamTheIrish
11-10-2005, 04:52 PM
It'll really break your heart when this young group of studs beats those hayseeds' asses again.

You're fast moving up my list.....

nychief
11-10-2005, 05:42 PM
If Self shows he can coach, KU Nation will have a collective "Roy Who?"

could he beat Bucknell first?

nychief
11-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Self has done an amazing job with KU, he was runner up for the Mizzou job. If only I had a time machine.

AeroSquid
11-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Even if he was coaching at MU if Kansas called he would have come.

nychief
11-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Even if he was coaching at MU if Kansas called he would have come.

zing!