PDA

View Full Version : R-Kal Back in the NFL - Damit Carl!

nychief
11-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Injury-hampered team tries to compensate -- again
By MEL REISNER

BC-FBN--Cardinals-Truluck,0540
Injury-hampered team tries to compensate -- again

By MEL REISNER

AP Sports Writer

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- R-Kal Truluck may wind up as a poster child for the Arizona Cardinals' injury problems this season.

The Cardinals signed the former Green Bay defensive end two days after ace pass rusher Bertrand Berry tore a pectoral muscle Sunday against Seattle, and coach Dennis Green plans to give Truluck a look this weekend against the Lions in Detroit.

"He's a 255-pound player, and so he is an open-field pass-rush guy that's had some success in the NFL," Green said Thursday. "Hopefully, despite the fact that he just got here, he will be able to play that role for us, because the other guys are not up-the-field. They are more every-down type players, and losing Bertrand Berry, we lose that element."

Berry has not been put on injured reserve, a season-ending move, and Green holds out hope the Pro Bowl defensive end will mend without surgery and return for two or three games. Berry led the NFC with 14.5 sacks last season, and had six in eight games this year.

Until he shows up, Truluck has a chance to do what Berry did after several years of bouncing around the NFL -- make his mark.

"That's wonderful to see when you have an opportunity like that," Truluck said. "He took advantage of that, and that's what I have to do. You know, don't think too much. Just go out and be yourself, go play and let things come to you."

Truluck began his career with a handicap, choosing to play in a Division III program at Cortland State in New York. But he impressed the Washington Redskins, who signed him as a rookie free agent in 1997.

He spent three seasons with Saskatchewan of the Canadian Football League and two more in the Arena Football League before making Kansas City's roster in 2002. After two seasons with the Chiefs, Truluck signed with the Packers, who used him in 14 games last year, including one start, but released him on Sept. 3.

In 34 NFL games, Truluck has eight sacks and 51 tackles, evidence that he knows the way to the pocket.

"I had success with Kansas City," the 31-year-old lineman said. "With Green Bay I had some nagging injuries, but I felt like I contributed well enough. But you have to be that game-changer no matter how many times you get on the field.

"We have a very young, fast, aggressive defense, and I want to come out and show my speed and aggression and help this team."

The Cardinals could use a break, especially along the defensive line.

Before Berry's injury in the fourth quarter of a 33-19 loss to the Seahawks, the line lost three defensive tackles: Russell Davis (arm), Kenny King (wrist) and recently acquired Langston Moore (shoulder) for the season.

Calvin Pace, the third defensive end behind Berry and Chike Okeafor when the season began, is also out.

"The injury effect has hurt us quite a bit," Green said about the team's 2-6 record. "The concept of playing five down linemen, which worked for us last year, we haven't really been able to play with the loss of Kenny King and then Russell Davis; the middle linebacker, Gerald Hayes; and (cornerback) Antrel Rolle. I think (losing) those five guys has made a big difference."

unlurking
11-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Good luck to him. Always rooted for the underdog.

Cochise
11-10-2005, 05:34 PM
He's got fire, I don't know what else, but he definitely has the desire. Wish him luck.

"Ruler of the lake"

jidar
11-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Good luck to him. Always liked him, his name is cool. heh

gblowfish
11-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Good luck to him. Always liked him, his name is cool. heh
Me and Mr. Doggity called him Ken-L-Ration.
We like him too.

WilliamTheIrish
11-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Me and Mr. Doggity called him Ken-L-Ration.
We like him too.

My son and me called him that too.

CoMoChief
11-10-2005, 06:20 PM
"I had success with Kansas City," the 31-year-old lineman said.

Thats kinda funny, I don't remember any particular kind of success he supposedly had here. Maybe I missed something.

I used to see him work out at Blue Springs Fitness alot, he's a nice guy at least. I wish him the best.

headsnap
11-10-2005, 08:38 PM
:LOL:

the password that I used to access the old firegregrobinson.com site was truluck... :)

Cochise
11-10-2005, 08:43 PM
"I had success with Kansas City," the 31-year-old lineman said.

Thats kinda funny, I don't remember any particular kind of success he supposedly had here. Maybe I missed something.

I used to see him work out at Blue Springs Fitness alot, he's a nice guy at least. I wish him the best.

He has some success during his time here getting to the QB.