PDA

View Full Version : Curious

luv
11-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Had someone send an anonymous email to my supervisor and the VP of our company today. Basically it said that we were a "loser crew of supervisors on our shift who should have been fired a long time ago". I looked up the username, jimjohnson79 on yahoo tonight when I got home. All I can tell is that the account was created today. Is there any way to find out more info when all you have is an enail adress? jimjohnson79@yahoo.com

Bugeater
11-11-2005, 01:14 AM
What a chicken sh!t! Try a google search of jimjohnson79, you never know the same idiot might use the same moniker elsewhere on the internet.

greg63
11-11-2005, 01:15 AM
Wish I could help ya Luv, but I'm not that computer savvy.

greg63
11-11-2005, 01:19 AM
Have you had to recently write someone up - which you think my have taken it personally?

luv
11-11-2005, 01:21 AM
What a chicken sh!t! Try a google search of jimjohnson79, you never know the same idiot might use the same moniker elsewhere on the internet.
I have to agree. HR told my boss not to reply to it, but our VP replied. He said that if that any specific instances that they wished to discuss, that he would listen, but, since it was just bashing us, then this wasn't worth his time to look into. I did the Google search. Nothing. All I can do is look at their profile on yahoo and see that it was last updated (probably created) on 11/10/2005. My boss called and said she heard that Jim Johnson was a NASCAR driver who drove the number 79 car. I looked that up, but couldn't confirm it. I want to know if it's another member of supervision from another shift, or if it might be one of our employees who we've talked to or disciplined lately.

Saggysack
11-11-2005, 01:27 AM
I have to agree. HR told my boss not to reply to it, but our VP replied. He said that if that any specific instances that they wished to discuss, that he would listen, but, since it was just bashing us, then this wasn't worth his time to look into. I did the Google search. Nothing. All I can do is look at their profile on yahoo and see that it was last updated (probably created) on 11/10/2005. My boss called and said she heard that Jim Johnson was a NASCAR driver who drove the number 79 car. I looked that up, but couldn't confirm it. I want to know if it's another member of supervision from another shift, or if it might be one of our employees who we've talked to or disciplined lately.

I don't have any clue how to help you. Yahoo accounts are pretty anonymous though, it could be anybody.

FWIW, there is a Jimmy Johnson that drives in NASCAR. He drives the 48 car though. Don't think there is anyone named Jim Johnson that drives a #79 car.

Bugeater
11-11-2005, 01:33 AM

Whoever did it more than likely used a fake name, yahoo doesn't verify information. The NASCAR driver is Jimmie Johnson and he drives the #48 car, don't see a connection there. You're probably at a dead end, I hope your superiors aren't taking it too seriously.

luv
11-11-2005, 01:43 AM
Whoever did it more than likely used a fake name, yahoo doesn't verify information. The NASCAR driver is Jimmie Johnson and he drives the #48 car, don't see a connection there. You're probably at a dead end, I hope your superiors aren't taking it too seriously.
Yeah, I figured as much on the fake name. Whoever it is cannot spell (broken = brocken), does not know grammatics, and talks in circles. No way will upper management take it seriously. I'm hoping nothing further happens when they see that nothing has happened to us. Even with knowing all that, it's still driving me crazy now that I'm at home. My boss kept asking me how I could stay so calm...she was stressin' really bad. She was also rereading the damned thing over and over again. No way would I have done that at work. It would have only made me suspiscious of everyone, and I would have ended up snapping at someone (very unlike me). I also had work to keep my mind occupado. No work at home. Looks like it will be either a sleepless night, or a night full of weird dreams or nightmares. The latter always happens when I'm stressed.

greg63
11-11-2005, 01:55 AM
Yeah, I figured as much on the fake name. Whoever it is cannot spell (broken = brocken), does not know grammatics, and talks in circles. No way will upper management take it seriously. I'm hoping nothing further happens when they see that nothing has happened to us. Even with knowing all that, it's still driving me crazy now that I'm at home. My boss kept asking me how I could stay so calm...she was stressin' really bad. She was also rereading the damned thing over and over again. No way would I have done that at work. It would have only made me suspiscious of everyone, and I would have ended up snapping at someone (very unlike me). I also had work to keep my mind occupado. No work at home. Looks like it will be either a sleepless night, or a night full of weird dreams or nightmares. The latter always happens when I'm stressed.

Remember your sleep therapy suggestions. :)

luv
11-11-2005, 01:59 AM
Remember your sleep therapy suggestions. :)
LOL... :)

I know, I know...

But even once I get to sleep, I can't help what kind of dreams I have. :(

New con to being single...no one there when I wake up from a bad dream freaked out.

greg63
11-11-2005, 01:59 AM
This person obviously has no class/life, and is clearly not wroth the aggravation. However, I can see how this would be bothersome - no one likes to have baseless lies spread around about them.

greg63
11-11-2005, 02:02 AM
LOL... :)

I know, I know...

But even once I get to sleep, I can't help what kind of dreams I have. :(

New con to being single...no one there when I wake up from a bad dream freaked out.Yea, that does suck. Some say there's a way to control your dreams, but I have never tried.

New con for being married...someone there to comfort you when you have nightmares. :D

Nite Planet!

StcChief
11-11-2005, 06:16 AM
I call JimJohnson79 a gutless punk.

If he has a real complaint be a standup guy and say it.

Your boss and VP should be aware of that too.

Yahoo accounts are convienent for webmail etc. but in setup you don't have to verify to another real email domain account.

Which causes spam, bs like this to occur.

Phobia
11-11-2005, 06:20 AM
He's right though. The VP should take the complaint seriously and fire everybody.

plbrdude
11-11-2005, 07:08 AM
hmmmm, that probably is not the jim johnson that i know.

morphius
11-11-2005, 07:11 AM
Was it sent during the work day? You might be able to go into the proxy logs and see who was going to yahoo just before that message was sent.

kepp
11-11-2005, 07:40 AM
Was it sent during the work day? You might be able to go into the proxy logs and see who was going to yahoo just before that message was sent.
Yep...and depending on the logging/systems you guys have in place, you may even be able to tell who went to the Yahoo account creation page and, just maybe, the form data that was sent (it would contain the 'jimjohnson79' name). What kind of an IT team do you have?

BigRedChief
11-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Had someone send an anonymous email to my supervisor and the VP of our company today. Basically it said that we were a "loser crew of supervisors on our shift who should have been fired a long time ago". I looked up the username, jimjohnson79 on yahoo tonight when I got home. All I can tell is that the account was created today. Is there any way to find out more info when all you have is an enail adress? jimjohnson79@yahoo.com

Assuming this was sent from work.

This is easily done. Have your tech look at the proxy logs. See the time it was posted. See who was online at the time. Look at the mac address activity. You got your culpurt.

Sent from home? Alot harder because of lack of authentication from Yahoo.

Cochise
11-11-2005, 08:01 AM
If they sent it from work, they would be an idiot.

My guess is a fake name and sent from someplace else. Yahoo wouldn't help track them down.

DaFace
11-11-2005, 08:13 AM
I doubt this will help, since the guy (or girl) probably just used the account once, but I've tracked down a Yahoo'er before by simply adding them to my Yahoo Messenger list. Next time they got on, I started talking to them. They didn't know who I was, so I was able to pry enough info to figure out (generally) who they were.

But they do have to use YM for this to work.

luv
11-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Yep...and depending on the logging/systems you guys have in place, you may even be able to tell who went to the Yahoo account creation page and, just maybe, the form data that was sent (it would contain the 'jimjohnson79' name). What kind of an IT team do you have?
None of the floor employees, leads, assistant supervisors, or supervisors have internet access on computers at work. It was sent at 1:48 yesterday afternoon, so it could not have been anyone on first shift. We thought about seeing what we could find out from IT. It wasn't sent internally, so I don't know if that would help or not.

luv
11-12-2005, 12:09 AM
We found out who it was tonight. Well, we are 99.5 % positive. It's one of our lead operators!!! He went after a day shift assistant supervisor job, but didn't get it. I guess now he's after either mine or my supervisor's. When I found out tonight, I so badly wanted to go back and tell him EXACTLY what was on my mind. Tell him that he's a chicken shit rat bastard two-faced little prick. I held my tongue though. My supervisor snickered and said, "Look at that jaw working," I was pissed. It's okay though. He'll get his.

greg63
11-12-2005, 12:29 AM
They should let you hang him up by his buster browns! :D

Rain Man
11-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Oh! Oh! I have an idea.

Rather than going the tech route, go the intelligence route. Send him a return e-mail and say that you're another anonymous employee who is fed up with the managers too. You heard the managers talking about the e-mail, so you snuck in and found the address. You have some information that will get one of the managers fired, but you think there may be another one involved. Perhaps the two of you should work together.

Once you get the person talking, you'll be able to slowly figure out who they are. Don't just come out and ask for a name.

luv
11-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Oh! Oh! I have an idea.

Rather than going the tech route, go the intelligence route. Send him a return e-mail and say that you're another anonymous employee who is fed up with the managers too. You heard the managers talking about the e-mail, so you snuck in and found the address. You have some information that will get one of the managers fired, but you think there may be another one involved. Perhaps the two of you should work together.

Once you get the person talking, you'll be able to slowly figure out who they are. Don't just come out and ask for a name.
We went the spy route. One of our production leads is absolutely awesome. One of the points made in the email was about how part of our job was getting people to stay, yet we have the lowest number of employees. This lead of ours was asking around to see what people thought as to why we can't seem to keep employees. One said he didn't know cuz he wouldn't want to work any other shift. Another one said it's probably because the wages suck for what we handle (medical records). She happened to be talking to another one of our production leads, and he said supervision. She said surely not and asked why on earth he would think that. Anyway, towards the end of that conversation, he said that they would just have to wait and see until our VP gets back into town on Monday (our VP was the other person he sent the email to). Coincidence? I think not.

This particular lead is one that we've been watching closely anyway. He doesn't do half the stuff we ask him to do. The VP mentioned has been in contact with us. He wasn't taking the email seriously anyway (it's hard to when it looks like it was typed by a fifth grader). We told him about what was said. He said to keep a close eye on his performance and to get rid of the trouble.