PDA

View Full Version : How many WWI (The Great War) veterans do you think are still alive?

John_Wayne
11-11-2005, 09:17 AM
If they were 18 years old in 1917, then they were born in 1899. If they were born in 1899, then they would have to be 106 years old if they are still alive. I can't imagine that there are many left. On one hand, people get old and die while life marches on. On the other hand, it's just too bad that these veterans are gone. I'd LOVE to sit down and talk to them about their WWI experience and the story of their life.

WWII vets are dying by the hundreds every day. Any time you have a chance, you should thank a WWII veteran and sit and talk to him about his "story". Some won't talk about it and we should respect that. But some will and it is very enlightening. They can give us perspective that is much needed in the current day. When I go to Branson, Mo. once per year, I always seek out vets and shake their hand and thank them. For those that don't know, Branson is the unofficial veterans capitol of the U.S. There are zillions of vets walking the streets. Many Veterans groups have their reunions in Branson. Branson caters to vets. Many of the vets wear a hat that signifys their unit or ship or branch of service. They are easy to find in Branson. It seems like they are everywhere.

Well, that's my rambling. I don't know where I was going with that. I was just typing whatever came to mind.

Brock
11-11-2005, 09:23 AM
If you want to meet a lot of WW2 vets, I suggest you join a Masonic lodge.

Donger
11-11-2005, 09:23 AM
If they were 18 years old in 1917, then they were born in 1899. If they were born in 1899, then they would have to be 106 years old if they are still alive. I can't imagine that there are many left. On one hand, people get old and die while life marches on. On the other hand, it's just too bad that these veterans are gone. I'd LOVE to sit down and talk to them about their WWI experience and the story of their life.

WWII vets are dying by the hundreds every day. Any time you have a chance, you should thank a WWII veteran and sit and talk to him about his "story". Some won't talk about it and we should respect that. But some will and it is very enlightening. They can give us perspective that is much needed in the current day. When I go to Branson, Mo. once per year, I always seek out vets and shake their hand and thank them. For those that don't know, Branson is the unofficial veterans capitol of the U.S. There are zillions of vets walking the streets. Many Veterans groups have their reunions in Branson. Branson caters to vets. Many of the vets wear a hat that signifys their unit or ship or branch of service. They are easy to find in Branson. It seems like they are everywhere.

Well, that's my rambling. I don't know where I was going with that. I was just typing whatever came to mind.

Less than 100. Only 8 are receiving disability benefits or pension compensation.

MOhillbilly
11-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Less than 100. Only 8 are receiving disability benefits or pension compensation.

thats ****in crazy-we should stop handing free bullshit to those who have done nothing and start taking care of those who deserve.
you put your ass on the line for your country-you deserve a pass.

Donger
11-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Wow.

Other wars and the ages of their last veterans the year they died: the War of 1812, 105, 1905; the Indian Wars, 101, 1973; the Mexican War, 98, 1929; the Civil War, 112, 1958; and the Spanish-American War, 106, 1992.

ChiTown
11-11-2005, 09:43 AM
thats ****in crazy-we should stop handing free bullshit to those who have done nothing and start taking care of those who deserve.
you put your ass on the line for your country-you deserve a pass.

My Dad was a WWII vet (US Army Aircorp - Pilot). Never took one benefit - NOT ONE!. The only thing he ever took from the US Govt was the flag that they gave to my Mother at his funeral. Back then, many folks were too proud to take anything. My Dad could have qualified for a shitload of Vet Benefits, but he figured he'd try and get by on his own.

John_Wayne
11-11-2005, 09:44 AM
you put your ass on the line for your country-you deserve a pass. Huh? :spock:

John_Wayne
11-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Wow.

Other wars and the ages of their last veterans the year they died: the War of 1812, 105, 1905; the Indian Wars, 101, 1973; the Mexican War, 98, 1929; the Civil War, 112, 1958; and the Spanish-American War, 106, 1992.

Civil War, 112, 1958 -- Wow! That's amazing.

Cochise
11-11-2005, 09:49 AM
It's kind of strange to think about how a guy died in 1905, who was born in 1800. Think about how different the world would have been than when he was a little kid.

MOhillbilly
11-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Huh? :spock:

you dont get that?
that as Americans we should take care of all war vets instead of giving billions to those on welfare who have done nothing.

John_Wayne
11-11-2005, 02:44 PM
you dont get that?
that as Americans we should take care of all war vets instead of giving billions to those on welfare who have done nothing. When I first read your post I thought you were complaining about war veterans getting benefiits. I couldn't believe that you were being such a jackass. Now I get what you are saying and I agree. I just wansn't reading it correctly.

Rain Man
11-11-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm trying to recall - didn't the last Civil War widow die recently? It was some deal where a 17 year-old girl married an 80 year-old veteran back in the 1920s or something. It appeared to be some well-executed scam to get the gal a lifetime income.

beavis
11-11-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm trying to recall - didn't the last Civil War widow die recently? It was some deal where a 17 year-old girl married an 80 year-old veteran back in the 1920s or something. It appeared to be some well-executed scam to get the gal a lifetime income.
I'm wondering who paid for Confederate soldier's pensions.

Link (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0908934.html)

The last-known Union widow, Gertrude Janeway, died in Jan. 2003 in Tennessee. John Janeway joined the Union army in 1864 and was briefly a POW at Andersonville. The couple married in 1927, after waiting three years until Gertrude turned 18. John was 81.

The person thought to be the last-known Confederate widow, Alberta Martin, was born Dec, 4, 1906, and died at age 97 in Alabama on May 31, 2004. In 1927, at age 21, she married William Jasper Martin, then 81. Martin joined the Confederate army in May 1864. Upon her husband's death, she married his grandson from his first marriage.

The publicity surrounding Alberta Martin's death prompted relatives of Maudie Celia Hopkins of Arkansas to reveal that the 89-year-old was in fact the last civil war widow. Hopkins married 86-year-old William Cantrell on Feb. 2, 1934, when she was 19. She did so to escape poverty, but kept quiet about the unusual marriage, “I thought people would gossip about it.” Cantrell, who served in the Virginia Infantry, supported her with his Confederate pension of “$25 every two or three months” until his death in 1937. Hopkins has outlived three other husbands.

Donger
11-11-2005, 03:05 PM

I think you're referring to Grace Mason. She married a Civil War veteran when he was 81 and she was 20 something. They had two children, who are still alive.

Skip Towne
11-11-2005, 03:09 PM
My mom died a couple of months ago. She was only 12 years younger than the airplane.

Rain Man
11-11-2005, 03:21 PM
My mom died a couple of months ago. She was only 12 years younger than the airplane.

It's amazing how much change those generations saw. I think about my great-grandmother, who my family visited frequently when I was a kid, and she saw a heck of a lot. She was born in 1898, so she remembered a world without cars, and certainly without airplanes. She was a teenager in WWI, middle-aged in WWII, and then saw a man walk on the moon. She died in 1978, so she didn't quite see the computer era come of age, but the first PCs were landing on desks. Heck, when she was little, I'll bet that phones and electricity were novelties in her part of the world.

Hydrae
11-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Wow.

So he was born in 1800 and fought in the war of 1812. Must have joined at the end of the war. But even then, it ended in 1814 so he would have only been 14 and serving in the armed forces. :spock:

The person thought to be the last-known Confederate widow, Alberta Martin, was born Dec, 4, 1906, and died at age 97 in Alabama on May 31, 2004. In 1927, at age 21, she married William Jasper Martin, then 81. Martin joined the Confederate army in May 1864. Upon her husband's death, she married his grandson from his first marriage.

Ok, that is just weird.

BIG_DADDY
11-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Huh? :spock:

Dumbass. ROFL

Rain Man
11-11-2005, 03:29 PM
So he was born in 1800 and fought in the war of 1812. Must have joined at the end of the war. But even then, it ended in 1814 so he would have only been 14 and serving in the armed forces. :spock:

That actually doesn't surprise me. There were lots of young kids who fought back then, or did anachronistic stuff like be drummers.

Ok, that is just weird.

That's the story I was thinking about. She married the old guy, had a baby, and then when he kicked off she married the grandson. I'd be willing to bet that DNA evidence points toward the grandson. I figure that the whole family was in on it, and she married the grandfather to get the pension but lived as the grandson's wife. (Sound of banjos.)

Jenson71
11-11-2005, 03:35 PM
There are less than 50 US WWI soldiers still alive today. I think there were over 4million that served and over 116,000 deaths.