PDA

View Full Version : Q/A with Vermeil 11/11

KCChiefsFan88
11-11-2005, 01:21 PM
I thought Vermeil's answer to the first question was interesting, considering after the Raiders game he said how maybe the coaches need to learn more about the strengths of this football team now with all the injuries and do things that better suit the talent playing now (i.e. Larry Johnson being a better inside the tackles runner). But now Vermeil is indicating they are going to change their running style. Hmmm

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/11/11/qa_with_coach_vermeilbuff2f/

Q&A WITH COACH VERMEIL
Nov 11, 2005, 8:36:34 AM

Q: With Larry Johnson in the lineup now as the starter will you employ a more vertical running attack, go straight ahead?

D. VERMEIL: “No, we won’t change our running attack.”

Q: What about his pass protection? Is he getting better?

VERMEIL: “I’m always concerned about him having a breakdown. Physically he can do it and by now we expect him to.”

Q: Are you happy with what he’s doing now?

VERMEIL: “Yeah I am. I’m very happy. I’m very pleased. I have a lot of confidence in him because I’ve seen him under pressure before when he’s had to step up and carry the load for an entire ballgame. I think back to December (of 2004) when he played against Denver and against the Chargers. He’s been under the gun before.”

Q: Is Surtain going to play?

VERMEIL: “I think he’s more probable now, but I don’t know. His replacement (Dewayne Washington), you know, received the defensive game ball, also received the special teams’ game ball. First time in my coaching career I’ve seen the same guy win both. That’s outstanding and Larry Johnson got the offensive game ball.”

Q: Have you looked at other running backs besides Dee Brown?

VERMEIL: “Griffin, the Denver Broncos former player, we’ve brought in before. We think he can play but our offense has such a huge volume that it is very, very difficult for a player to step in unless he’s been in the scheme and we don’t want to restrict our scheme because of one player. Now, if you had to, you would. But Dee Brown is very capable and was very smart in training camp and he normally would have made our 53-man roster at the time we went to the final cut.”

Q: Samie Parker’s status?

VERMEIL: “Samie Parker worked with the first unit today.”

Q; So he’ll….

VERMEIL: “I don’t know. It depends on how his knee responds after working?

Q: What about Willie Roaf?

VERMEIL: “Roaf is still doubtful but he’s making progress.”

Q: Do you expect him to be back by the Houston game?

VERMEIL: “Oh, I would expect to have him back. I would like to think we will. But again, I’m not a trainer or a doctor. I just go on what they tell me a player can do.”

Q: What about Greg Wesley?

VERMEIL: “I think right now he’s questionable. He is getting better.”

Q: Is Bartee taking his reps?

VERMEIL: “Bartee’s working at safety.”

Q: What’s been the biggest area of growth for Larry Johnson since he got here?

VERMEIL: “I think understanding there’s a role to play. His role was a little tougher to handle initially because he was drafted number one. You think all of a sudden you’re going to be the marquee running back and you’re not. You’re behind another marquee running back and that was hard for him to handle. That and the whole environment of the National Football League and what it takes to be a National Football League player. It’s not unique to him, it’s the same with all rookies who come in who have high expectations and put pressure on themselves. I think the big thing now is he’s matured into an NFL football player and knowing what it takes, how to prepare, and what he has to do to be totally prepared and how to try and stay out of the limelight off the field because you’re a target for people out there because everybody knows who you are.”

Q: Last year when he played you were on the way to a 7-9 season and out of contention. This year he’s got something to play for and is carrying the ground game. Is this when he proves what he can do and carry a club?

VERMEIL: “I don’t think there’s any doubt. I don’t think he has to prove it to anybody; he’s already done it. With a running back it’s so much easier to evaluate where he is and what he has and what he’s going to end up being. Last year he made a lot of long runs and big runs and strong runs, just like he has already this year. So, I think he’s more than proved his value and quality.”

Q: Dee Brown said he doesn’t think he’s forgotten too much from training camp. Do you think he’s gotten a firm grasp of the offense?

VERMEIL: “Yeah, he’s done very well. He’s a very bright guy and very athletic and that’s a nice combination. He stepped in and done very well. It’s not like learning it all over again.

“(Running backs coach) James Saxon would talk to him through the whole time (he was gone), checking in with him and letting him know. We try to be honest with our players in letting them know why I was (bringing him in), like when I told him why I was letting him go. I told him if I had the opportunity to bring him back I would. He’s stayed in shape and did what we asked him to do.”

Q: If something did happen to Larry would you be more inclined to go with one back like (Tony) Richardson?

VERMEIL: “I don’t know. T-Rich can play both spots, so that could happen.”

KCChiefsFan88
11-11-2005, 01:23 PM
But now Vermeil is indicating they are going to change their running style. Hmmm

sorry meant to say aren't going to change their running style

Count Alex's Losses
11-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Vermeil is lying, but I don't fault him. He doesn't want to let on anything to the opponent.

We will see more straight-ahead running this week.

milkman
11-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Vermeil is lying, but I don't fault him. He doesn't want to let on anything to the opponent.

I always assume he's lying.......

.....which makes this something of connundrum for me.

My initial reaction to the second sentence is, yeah, I'll belleve it when I see it.

But I know Dick is lying.

I'm so confused????!!!!! :doh!: :eek:

Rausch
11-11-2005, 01:35 PM

Exactly.

"Q: With Larry Johnson in the lineup now as the starter will you employ a more vertical running attack, go straight ahead?

DV: Yeah, we plan to use a lot of iso's and cut down on the stretch plays. Our whole game plan revolves on attacking the LB who's replacing Takeo Spikes. We play to move Gonzo in motion to the left, trying to pull the attention of the SS over there, and then just pound the ball..."

the Talking Can
11-11-2005, 01:37 PM
DV is a liar for not broadcasting our game plan to the entire world?

Rausch
11-11-2005, 01:38 PM

That's kind of where I was going with my post, but...

foxman
11-11-2005, 01:58 PM

The article was great and all but GoChiefs, that AVATAR is hilarious....that is all.
ROFL

milkman
11-11-2005, 02:11 PM

No one said there is anything wrong with that.

He could say, "Well I can't discuss what we plan, I don't want to broadcast our gameplan to the entire world."