PDA

View Full Version : Article Threw Me For A Loop: T.O. & Green

AirForceChief
11-12-2005, 08:46 AM
From Judge at CBSSportsline (sorry if it's a repost):

If I'm the unlucky coach who winds up with Terrell Owens after he leaves Philadelphia, the first thing I do is haul him into my office, sit him down and tell him to spend part of the offseason with a quarterback.

Unlike Terrell Owens, Trent Green has earned the respect of his fellow teammates. (AP)
But there's a catch: It's not just any quarterback I want him with; it's Kansas City's Trent Green.

Green, you see, is everything Terrell Owens is not. He's responsible. He's professional. He's selfless. He's a good teammate. He's a good listener. And, most important, he's a team player.

A week ago, Green buried his father, Jim, who died unexpectedly on Oct. 27. The two were close, and his father's passing had such a profound effect on Green that Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil told him he could skip last weekend's game against Oakland.

Green thought about it. Then he played. And he played well, leading the Chiefs on a last-minute drive that ended with Larry Johnson scoring the winning touchdown as time expired.

Afterward, a tearful Green embraced his head coach.

I can't imagine what that moment must have been like. But, then, I can't imagine playing a football game after burying my father, either. Trent Green couldn't imagine not playing one, and when you hear why, you understand how fortunate the Chiefs are.

"First of all," he said, "my mom, my sister, my brother and my dad would've wanted me to play. "Second, I felt a responsibility to my family to give them a few hours of escape, where they could think of something else. And, third, I have a responsibility to my team. This is my extended family, and I probably spend more time with these guys during the season than I do with my own family. This is my job, and I have a responsibility to them."

There, in a nutshell, is why I want Trent Green as Owens' tutor. Three times he mentioned the word "responsibility," and, just a hunch, but I bet Owens hasn't uttered it three times this year. And I understand why: Because he doesn't know what responsibility means.

He didn't understand that it was his responsibility to not knock quarterback Donovan McNabb, because, after all, he did it in San Francisco with Jeff Garcia. He didn't understand it was his responsibility to not knock coach Andy Reid, because, after all, he did it in San Francisco with Steve Mariucci. He didn't understand that it was his responsibility to not behave like a petulant child with the Eagles, because, after all, he did it in San Francisco with the 49ers.

And in the end he suffered for it. And so did the Eagles.

That's why spending a little quality time with Trent Green would benefit Owens. Green not only understands all those things; he personifies them. He didn't have to play last weekend, but he did. He had every right to dwell on his family's loss, and he didn't. He had every reason to keep within himself, to remain apart from teammates and grieve alone, and he didn't.

And in the end he felt better for it. And so did the Chiefs.

"I think about my father every day," said Green, "and multiple times during a game. I'm not talking about when I'm on the field or in the huddle, but when I'm on the sideline and the defense is on the field, I think about him because he was always there in the stands. There are a lot of emotions there, but at the same time, I don't let it affect what I'm doing out there -- what I do with the ball or how I look at a certain play -- because I feel a responsibility to everyone. And I don't want to let anyone down."

Once, just once, I'd love to hear Terrell Owens say something like that. He thinks he was wronged because he just lost a paycheck. Trent Green just lost a father, and I have no idea what he thinks. I just know what he has done.

He let no one down. That's what teammates are supposed to do. Tell Terrell Owens. Then give him Trent Green's phone number.

bringbackmarty
11-12-2005, 08:53 AM
good shit, IMO.

Deberg_1990
11-12-2005, 08:57 AM
Good article, but at his point, NOTHING is going to turn TO around.....hes a lost cause....hes 30 right?? If he hasnt changed by now, hes never gonna change. The guy just doesnt "Get it" plain and simple. He hangs around too many people like Rosenhaus who will never tell him no or thats hes wrong. Its too late for TO. Too bad because hes a hell of a talent.

Bacon Cheeseburger
11-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Yeah, like TO would listen to anything he said.

chefsos
11-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Trent obviously comes from a strong family. TO's family history, as I recall, is completely f*cked up.

I don't know if Judge is serious in this piece. Assuming for a moment that he is, I say no way this works. Nobody's getting through to TO.

The only thing that may cause TO to step back and gain some perspective is to sit out this year, get released, and scrap just to get any kind of contract next year. I won't hold my breath for that one, either.

NewChief
11-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Great thought, but Judge overestimates the amount of "personal time" players spend together and the effect that players have on each other. I don't think QBs generally mentor receivers or take them under their wing, and I seriously doubt that TO would be open to someone like Trent (not flashy, not "bigtime") mentoring him. He'd listen to someone like Vick before he'd bother listening to someone like Trent.

funk monkey
11-12-2005, 09:04 AM
I like the article. Maybe some good like trent green could do him some good, might as well give it a shot. And it wouldnt hurt to have a good reciever like him on our side, even thought is rep isnt that good, but we could change that.

AirForceChief
11-12-2005, 09:06 AM
I don't think Judge is serious about the two players hanging out with one another. I think it's more of a literary approach to contrast the obvious differences in character.

Sure-Oz
11-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Nice article, but i dont think trent would take his shit at all, i doubt owens will listen to anyone at this point esp with rosenhaus as his agent.

Alphaman
11-12-2005, 09:11 AM
I'll go out on a limb here and say if I were the Chiefs GM I'd try to get TO (with certain terms). TO gets open and makes plays. Teams would no longer be able to double team Gonzo or cover him with their best CB. Therefore he would get his touches as well. That being said the financial piece would need to be dealt with. Here's how I'd do it:

Claim him if he is indeed waived this year (we have about $4M in cap space so we can cover his contract - about $1.5M).
He's due a $7M roster bonus next year.
Negotiate a long term incentive laden lucrative contract with his agent ($6M to $7M per year, none to very little up front).
His agent will have to understand that given his history we cannot afford to give him huge up front money but can commit to a large salary.
However as part of the negotiation we commit to him that he can go out and try to broker a trade and get a better contract (i.e. more money or more up front money). We will then either trade him to whoever he agrees to a deal with or match the contract. If he doesn't get anything better, we'll sign the deal we agreed to.
The contract and incentives would include some behaviour clauses.
This would allow us to have very little risk of him going off the deep end again.
Before signing the deal he'd have to sit down with my leaders (Shields, Green, Holmes, Gonzalez, Surtain, Knight, Richardson and Hicks) and convince them that he can be apart of this team. Just him and the players (i.e. no agent).

If he agreed to those conditions, I'd sign him.

AirForceChief
11-12-2005, 09:20 AM
This is from Boomer's Rookie Diary and seems to back up Judge's opinion:

"Before the game Trent Green stepped up in the locker room and put together one of those memorable speeches that brings chills to your arms. What he said touched us all and was so real. I donít think some fans really have the perspective that they can see it from the inside like I can. I can sit here and vouch for Trent as being one of the most genuine and poised leaders I have ever had the honor to be around.

What he said before the game was inspiring. He told us how we would part of his family and he reassured us of how ready he was to play. No one felt the need for him to do that, but for him to address the team like that and show us his confidence shows how amazing of a leader he is. I really do feel honored to play with him. For us to win and Coach Vermeil to give him the game ball for his family was even more important than actually beating the Raiders. It was more real."

CHIEF4EVER
11-12-2005, 09:21 AM
No thanks. That dude (T.O.) is trouble waiting to happen. He makes Keyshawn look like a selfless saint in comparison. Pass.

chagrin
11-12-2005, 09:25 AM
I enjoyed reading that only for the Trent Green quotes, we are forunate to have this dude playing for KC

Calcountry
11-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Great thought, but Judge overestimates the amount of "personal time" players spend together and the effect that players have on each other. I don't think QBs generally mentor receivers or take them under their wing, and I seriously doubt that TO would be open to someone like Trent (not flashy, not "bigtime") mentoring him. He'd listen to someone like Vick before he'd bother listening to someone like Trent.Michelle Bick, he an "all of famer".

alanm
11-12-2005, 11:05 AM
It's nice to know your QB is a stand up guy. Not to mention he's pretty damn good at what he does also. Now all we need to do is find a younger version of Green and get him on the roster to be groomed. :thumb:

Bowser
11-12-2005, 11:15 AM
I enjoyed reading that only for the Trent Green quotes, we are forunate to have this dude playing for KC

Indeed.

philfree
11-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Trent is The MAN in KC. What do you bet that if a player challenged him to a fight in the weight room that our O linemen would mash the guy. Also I bet that if Trent asks DV to not retire after the season that DV won't be able to walk away.

PhilFree:arrow:

DaFace
11-12-2005, 11:27 AM
One thing that strikes me about the entire offense is that we have so many guys who simply epitomize what it means to be team players. I mean, Trent Green, Gonzo, Priest, TRich, and even Dante and Kennison (to name a few) are the types of guys that you want to see win not just because they're wearing Chiefs uniforms, but because they're genuinely good guys.

philfree
11-12-2005, 11:31 AM
One thing that strikes me about the entire offense is that we have so many guys who simply epitomize what it means to be team players. I mean, Trent Green, Gonzo, Priest, TRich, and even Dante and Kennison (to name a few) are the types of guys that you want to see win not just because they're wearing Chiefs uniforms, but because they're genuinely good guys.

Yeah I'd like to see those guys get a "ring" for them alot more then for me.

PhilFree:arrow:

Psyko Tek
11-12-2005, 11:34 AM
wasn't TO under the tuteledge of Jerry Rice in his younger years?

He did Shut up back in those days, but it didn't stick

StcChief
11-12-2005, 03:33 PM
F' TO.
I hope he ends up selling used Boo cars in the 'hood.

Talkin' about what coulda been.

Warrior5
11-12-2005, 03:55 PM
No way do I want T.O. in R&G. But what a great statement from Trent:

"First of all," he said, "my mom, my sister, my brother and my dad would've wanted me to play. "Second, I felt a responsibility to my family to give them a few hours of escape, where they could think of something else. And, third, I have a responsibility to my team. This is my extended family, and I probably spend more time with these guys during the season than I do with my own family. This is my job, and I have a responsibility to them."

Get a win in Buffalo, Trent.

Dunit35
11-12-2005, 03:56 PM
I remember T.O.'s press conferance where dumba** Rosenhaus was answering questions and that one reporter ask him this "What have you done for T.O. besides get him kicked off the team?" That was so hilarious.

DaKCMan AP
11-12-2005, 05:28 PM
wasn't TO under the tuteledge of Jerry Rice in his younger years?

He did Shut up back in those days, but it didn't stick

Not really. TO is a main reason why Rice was kicked out of SanFran. He wanted him gone.

Raiderhader
11-12-2005, 05:58 PM
I don't think Judge is serious about the two players hanging out with one another. I think it's more of a literary approach to contrast the obvious differences in character.

Exactly. And it was very well done.