PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read this on Trent Green from Sportsline?

BigMeatballDave
11-13-2005, 12:33 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9037506

T.O. could learn a few things from Chiefs' Green

If I'm the unlucky coach who winds up with Terrell Owens after he leaves Philadelphia, the first thing I do is haul him into my office, sit him down and tell him to spend part of the offseason with a quarterback.

Unlike Terrell Owens, Trent Green has earned the respect of his fellow teammates.
But there's a catch: It's not just any quarterback I want him with; it's Kansas City's Trent Green.

Green, you see, is everything Terrell Owens is not. He's responsible. He's professional. He's selfless. He's a good teammate. He's a good listener. And, most important, he's a team player.

A week ago, Green buried his father, Jim, who died unexpectedly on Oct. 27. The two were close, and his father's passing had such a profound effect on Green that Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil told him he could skip last weekend's game against Oakland.

Green thought about it. Then he played. And he played well, leading the Chiefs on a last-minute drive that ended with Larry Johnson scoring the winning touchdown as time expired.

Afterward, a tearful Green embraced his head coach.

I can't imagine what that moment must have been like. But, then, I can't imagine playing a football game after burying my father, either. Trent Green couldn't imagine not playing one, and when you hear why, you understand how fortunate the Chiefs are.

"First of all," he said, "my mom, my sister, my brother and my dad would've wanted me to play. "Second, I felt a responsibility to my family to give them a few hours of escape, where they could think of something else. And, third, I have a responsibility to my team. This is my extended family, and I probably spend more time with these guys during the season than I do with my own family. This is my job, and I have a responsibility to them."

There, in a nutshell, is why I want Trent Green as Owens' tutor. Three times he mentioned the word "responsibility," and, just a hunch, but I bet Owens hasn't uttered it three times this year. And I understand why: Because he doesn't know what responsibility means.

He didn't understand that it was his responsibility to not knock quarterback Donovan McNabb, because, after all, he did it in San Francisco with Jeff Garcia. He didn't understand it was his responsibility to not knock coach Andy Reid, because, after all, he did it in San Francisco with Steve Mariucci. He didn't understand that it was his responsibility to not behave like a petulant child with the Eagles, because, after all, he did it in San Francisco with the 49ers.

And in the end he suffered for it. And so did the Eagles.

That's why spending a little quality time with Trent Green would benefit Owens. Green not only understands all those things; he personifies them. He didn't have to play last weekend, but he did. He had every right to dwell on his family's loss, and he didn't. He had every reason to keep within himself, to remain apart from teammates and grieve alone, and he didn't.

And in the end he felt better for it. And so did the Chiefs.

"I think about my father every day," said Green, "and multiple times during a game. I'm not talking about when I'm on the field or in the huddle, but when I'm on the sideline and the defense is on the field, I think about him because he was always there in the stands. There are a lot of emotions there, but at the same time, I don't let it affect what I'm doing out there -- what I do with the ball or how I look at a certain play -- because I feel a responsibility to everyone. And I don't want to let anyone down."

Once, just once, I'd love to hear Terrell Owens say something like that. He thinks he was wronged because he just lost a paycheck. Trent Green just lost a father, and I have no idea what he thinks. I just know what he has done.

He let no one down. That's what teammates are supposed to do. Tell Terrell Owens. Then give him Trent Green's phone number.

irishjayhawk
11-13-2005, 12:37 AM
Wow, good article.

John_Wayne
11-13-2005, 12:39 AM
Wow. That's good.

Wa-Z
11-13-2005, 12:43 AM
Wonder what Trent would think about that...

chefsos
11-13-2005, 12:45 AM
Wow. That's good.

Yes, it is. And was.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=128740

:D

Well worth reading again, or for those who missed it.:thumb:

KCChiefsFan88
11-13-2005, 12:53 AM
Pissco could learn a thing or two from his colleague, Clark Judge.

Good article

greg63
11-13-2005, 01:02 AM
Excellent article, although if TO have not learned team responsibility by now I doubt even Trent could influence him.

BigMeatballDave
11-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Yes, it is. And was.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=128740

:D

Well worth reading again, or for those who missed it.:thumb:Oops. My bad. I haven't been on for a couple days...

Braincase
11-13-2005, 05:27 AM
It's society's fault that TOnoma is they way he is. The responsibility falls to us, after all - I mean, nobody would CHOOSE to be that big of a rectal orifice would they?

Whoops, just got neg repped by a poser from the DC forum. I guess it does happen.

HemiEd
11-13-2005, 05:52 AM
I think it comes down to that fact that Trent was raised right and Owens was not.

Of course the deep rooted character flaw in TO does not help. Trent is the Perfect Leader, I think that is why DV was so insistent on getting him here.

the Talking Can
11-13-2005, 05:58 AM
Much like Priest, I fear we are wasting the efforts of a great player (Trent) by stumbling 4 years to fix the defense..it will be a shame if we don't have some playoff wins to show for his excellent QB play and leadership...he will be hard to replace.

Count Zarth
11-13-2005, 07:08 AM
Much like Priest, I fear we are wasting the efforts of a great player (Trent) by stumbling 4 years to fix the defense..it will be a shame if we don't have some playoff wins to show for his excellent QB play and leadership...he will be hard to replace.

[Taco John]Trent's just average. You can find quarterbacks like Trent Green off the waiver wire every offseason. You will be just fine after Trent retires provided you can assemble a good offensive line.[/Taco John]

greg63
11-13-2005, 07:22 AM
It's society's fault that TOnoma is they way he is. The responsibility falls to us, after all - I mean, nobody would CHOOSE to be that big of a rectal orifice would they?

Whoops, just got neg repped by a poser from the DC forum. I guess it does happen.

Yup.

I think it comes down to that fact that Trent was raised right and Owens was not.

Of course the deep rooted character flaw in TO does not help. Trent is the Perfect Leader, I think that is why DV was so insistent on getting him here.

...and Ditto.