PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: Opportunity Lost

dirk digler
11-14-2005, 08:41 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/11/14/gretz_opportunity_lost/

BUFFALO Ė This was an outcome the Chiefs simply could not afford to have happen. They imagine themselves a team with a legitimate shot at a spot in the playoffs. But what happened Sunday afternoon in Buffalo was not the work of a contender.

OK, the Chiefs defense and the running of Larry Johnson (132 yards) was worthy of consideration for post-season qualifications. The rest of the offense and most especially the pass protection was an embarrassment.

Six sacks, four turnovers and the Chiefs shuffled out of Buffalo with a 14-3 loss. They couldnít even score a touchdown, the first time thatís happened in 41 games. It wasnít even so much that they couldnít find the end zone, as the fact they never really got close. In 78 plays over 13 possessions, they took a grand total of six snaps inside the Buffalo 30-yard line. Hereís the outcome of those plays:

* Johnson ran for no gain from the 19-yard line.
* Eddie Kennison five-yard catch from the 19.
* Johnson ran for minus-3 from the 14.
* Trent Green sacked, fumbled, Buffalo recovered from the 37.
* Green incomplete to Tony Gonzalez from the 27.
* Green incomplete for Chris Horn (drop) at 27.

Six plays inside the Buffalo 30-yard line for a grand total of two yards.

Understand that the Bills have a good defense. Last year, it was ranked among the best in the NFL. But theyíve had problems this year. They came in ranked 31st against the run and did little to improve that rating, giving up 150 yards, or just one yard less than their season average. The Raiders threw up 38 points against this team, although that was in Oakland not at the wind tunnel known as Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Right now, the Chiefs cannot consistently protect Green in the passing game and itís only a matter of time before this inefficiency leads to Greenís streak of consecutive starts ending. The veteran quarterback is bruised and battered from head to toe, and the fact he keeps walking out there is a remarkable show of the manís desire and fortitude.

In pass protection, Jordan Black is not getting it done at left tackle. Twice Aaron Schobel blew past him with little in the way of interference. On the right side, John Welbourn also had problems. On one play, Ryan Denney simply pushed a retreating Welbourn back into the Green and he tackled them both for a sack.

Now, Welbourn is out of position, a guard, forced to play tackle. More and more it seems that Black is also out of position, a right tackle forced to play left, or more likely a guard forced to play tackle.

No matter the history of those playing tackle, the job is not getting done and itís brought the once mighty Chiefs offense to a grinding halt.

What a shame this happened on an afternoon when the Chiefs defense followed up a strong performance last week with a stronger one against the Bills. With the exception of two touchdown passes to Lee Evans, where he beat Eric Warfield both times, the Buffalo got nothing and could not move the ball effectively at any point. The run defense continues to be impressive, as Willis McGahee got away once for a 13-yard run. The other 19 times he carried the ball he gained 53 yards or an average of 2.8 yards per carry. He came into the game as the leagueís fifth leading rusher.

Other than stopping the two touchdown passes, it would have been hard for the Chiefs defense to play much better. That their effort ended in a loss can be laid at the feet of the Chiefs offense.

Forget the post-season; the Chiefs must first make sure their quarterback isnít driven from the season by pass protection that is not of contender quality.

NewChief
11-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Forget the post-season; the Chiefs must first make sure their quarterback isnít driven from the season by pass protection that is not of contender quality.

I'm seriously doubting that Trent makes it out of this season healthy.

dirk digler
11-14-2005, 08:46 AM
I'm seriously doubting that Trent makes it out of this season healthy.

I agree and they really need to do something about the O-Line blocking scheme to protect Trent for the rest of the season. We may need to go 3 TE's and max protect.

Lzen
11-14-2005, 08:50 AM
I'm seriously doubting that Trent makes it out of this season alive.

I fixed your post.
:shake:

siberian khatru
11-14-2005, 08:50 AM
More and more it seems that Black is also out of position, a right tackle forced to play left, or more likely a guard forced to play tackle.

Or more likely, a stiff forced to play professional football.

Mecca
11-14-2005, 08:54 AM
My question is with how this season is unfolding. Trent's basically being shown what's going to happen when Roaf and Shields retire. Is he going to want to come back next year or will he just call it a career after this season?

Lzen
11-14-2005, 08:54 AM
I thought Black did okay in the few times he played RT last year. He absolutely sucks at both positions this year.

Lzen
11-14-2005, 08:55 AM
My question is with how this season is unfolding. Trent's basically being shown what's going to happen when Roaf and Shields retire. Is he going to want to come back next year or will he just call it a career after this season?

Would you come back? I wouldn't.

Mecca
11-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Would you come back? I wouldn't.

I wouldn't either, but alot of us would have probably kicked Jordan Black in the balls by now if we were Trent. Before this year I had no doubt he'd be back after this year, now I'm not so sure.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-14-2005, 08:58 AM
What is it about this team that every time we start getting one thing fixed (defense) something else breaks down (offense).

.. and is it just me or is the Chiefs coaching staff starting to resemble the Royals coaching staff when it comes to evaluating talent? i.e. Kris Wilson, Sam Gado who scored 3 times for Green Bay yesterday after we let him go, John Welbourne, Jordon Black, Junior Siavii, ...

dirk digler
11-14-2005, 08:58 AM
I really think it depends on who the new HC will be which will be the determining factor on if Trent comes back or not.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-14-2005, 09:03 AM
I really think it depends on who the new HC will be which will be the determining factor on if Trent comes back or not.
and if Trent's not back, Tony G. probably won't come back either. He's gone on record saying he believes in Trent and wants to play with him. of course that could point to homosexual tendancys too.