PDA

View Full Version : The Blitz

jspchief
11-14-2005, 08:03 AM
Isn't blitzing supposed to be risky? Most teams choose to not blitz too often, because it makes you vulnerable in other areas.

KC has been horrible at exposing the blitz for years. i know there have been articles about how Green will "make you pay", but IMO that's simply not true. The only reason we were good against the blitz in the past was our O-line play.

I don't know why, but we can't make teams pay for blitzing. I'm not just talking about this Buffalo game, it has been true for several years. This game was just another reminder of how incapable we are. Is it because Green can't audible? Do we just not have route adjustments to exploit the blitz? Is Green bad at finding the right guy, or making his progressions? Do we not have any play calls that exploit blitzing? Are our routes too complex and slow to develop?

I can't figure out why we are so bad at it.

BigRedChief
11-14-2005, 08:05 AM
I didn't think that the Bills blitzed too often on Sunday. Why would they need to ? You have Black and Welbourne as a pair of swing gates on the ends. Why bring the blitz?

jspchief
11-14-2005, 08:24 AM
It seemed to me like there was always an extra LB coming. Maybe I'm wrong.

Bowser
11-14-2005, 08:25 AM
It seemed to me like there was always an extra LB coming. Maybe I'm wrong.

They blitzed the shit out of Green in the second half.

Count Zarth
11-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Because the Chiefs refuse to consistently incorporate a quick passing game.

The Bills O-line is horrible yet Holcomb has completed 68 percent of his passes this year. Why? Their passing game is predicated on short, quick throws.

NewChief
11-14-2005, 08:27 AM
A few things:

1) More quick passes and less 7-stop drops.
2) More audibles from Trent when he sees the blitz coming.
3) Need to stop depending on the WR/QB telepathy in performing a "hot read" and start letting Trent audible to the hot read to ensure that Trent and WRs are on same page.

Mecca
11-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Jerry Gray calls blitzes all the time. It's no secret, the Chiefs should have been prepared for that. It looked like they weren't.........

Dartgod
11-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Speaking of the blitz...

I was thinking during the game that we were blitzing Holcomb quite a bit, with success I might add, before he got hurt. After Losman came in, it seemed like we hardly blitzed at all. Why is that? Wouldn't it make sense to continue blitzing, especially against a young, inexperienced QB? Wouldn't that increase the chance of forcing mistakes by them?

wolfpack0735
11-14-2005, 08:33 AM
i dont think the bills blitzed that much either. they didnt have to. i always heard trent isnt allowed to call plays. to bad,every game the had trouble with his mic and he called his own plays in a2 minute type drill, they moved the ball and scored. maybe they should let tent do more of that. but it will never happen.play dicator al wont let it happen.

jidar
11-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Speaking of the blitz...

I was thinking during the game that we were blitzing Holcomb quite a bit, with success I might add, before he got hurt. After Losman came in, it seemed like we hardly blitzed at all. Why is that? Wouldn't it make sense to continue blitzing, especially against a young, inexperienced QB? Wouldn't that increase the chance of forcing mistakes by them?

We did Blitz Losman. He just got away from it. That's his thing, he's a scrambling QB that can throw well on the run.

jspchief
11-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Just another example of our team's inability to make proper preparations and in game adjustments.

When a team starts bringing the house every down, and it's a team that is known for blitzing anyway, we should have a gameplan to exploit it.

I think our refusal to use audibles is partially responsible, but I also agree with gochiefs that we don't have any semblance of a short passing game (other than that stupid quick hit to the sideline that always get's the receiver crushed, and never gains yards).

jidar
11-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Just another example of our team's inability to make proper preparations and in game adjustments.

When a team starts bringing the house every down, and it's a team that is known for blitzing anyway, we should have a gameplan to exploit it.

I think our refusal to use audibles is partially responsible, but I also agree with gochiefs that we don't have any semblance of a short passing game (other than that stupid quick hit to the sideline that always get's the receiver crushed, and never gains yards).

I saw at least one quick hit pass that made a decent gain. I don't recall having seen any others at all.

Sully
11-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Don't forget the three step slant to Chris Horn, which has apparently replaced the Tight End Screen.

Mecca
11-14-2005, 08:36 AM

I'm sure Al Saunders would tell you the double fake reverse screen pass is part of the short passing game.

Count Zarth
11-14-2005, 08:38 AM
I also agree with gochiefs that we don't have any semblance of a short passing game (other than that stupid quick hit to the sideline that always get's the receiver crushed, and never gains yards).

Actually we DO have a short passing game. It's quite good when it's used properly.

The Chiefs braintrust wants to be the Rams though. Multiple times I saw Green staring downfield. He holds the ball too long. I saw open receivers short a few times that were not thrown too.

KC runs the hitch, slant and short crossing/drag route very, very well. We need to use it MORE, because 7-step drops are not in style right now.

Mecca
11-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Actually we DO have a short passing game. It's quite good when it's used properly.

The Chiefs braintrust wants to be the Rams though. Multiple times I saw Green staring downfield. He holds the ball too long. I saw open receivers short a few times that were not thrown too.

KC runs the hitch, slant and short crossing/drag route very, very well. We need to use it MORE, because 7-step drops are not in style right now.

We're really gonna be the Rams when our bad line does to Green what the bad line in St Louis did to Warner. If nothing changes that very well could be the future of this season.

redhed
11-14-2005, 09:53 AM
I'm sure Al Saunders would tell you the double fake reverse screen pass is part of the short passing game.

I want to choke someone when I see that play. I think it has worked ONCE in 3 years. I wish the Chiefs would incorporate more slow-developing plays that start 5 yds behind the line of scrimmage. It's our bread 'n butter!!
:shake:

jidar
11-14-2005, 09:58 AM
I want to choke someone when I see that play. I think it has worked ONCE in 3 years. I wish the Chiefs would incorporate more slow-developing plays that start 5 yds behind the line of scrimmage. It's our bread 'n butter!!
:shake:

Didn't that play get 5 yards yesterday?

redhed
11-14-2005, 10:05 AM
Didn't that play get 5 yards yesterday?

I don't remember. But LJ could get 5 yds just as easily, with a lower risk factor.
Those kind of plays never work in the NFL. Kinda like how the option doesn't work either; players are too fast.