PDA

View Full Version : Help with Chief Rumors

dirk digler
11-14-2005, 08:58 AM
I don't how to go about this but I have heard/read that the players on this team have basically quit on DV and now there is speculation that DV MAY quit before the season is over.

Personally I don't see DV quitting before the season is over but the stuff is out there.

I know several CP members have sources within the organization and I was curious if they could confirm or deny if any of this is true.

It certainly makes for an interesting discussion.

Thanks if any one could help.

Black Jack Savage
11-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Honestly I would love if DV quit in midseason because it might actually bring enough light on the situation to motivate some people to change around here. Maybe the fans would finally revolt and launch CP's ass out the door too.

Of course, this is all just a pipe dream.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-14-2005, 09:01 AM
Of all of the rumours I've ever heard, this strike's me as the dumbest... not that I would really mind it.

ZootedGranny
11-14-2005, 09:02 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Vermeil quit just so we get the chance to see how Saunders does, which would, after the team implodes under his coaching, give Peterson justification to look somewhere else (which I think he'll do anyways).

jidar
11-14-2005, 09:03 AM
He's not going to quit before the season is out, but there are a lot of rumors flying about people being pissed over the long practices.
I suppose the practice thing is great when you're winning, but a real pain in the ass when you're not.

AirForceChief
11-14-2005, 09:04 AM
How did he go from beloved by his players for the call v. Oakland to a coach on the verge of losing his players with the loss at Buffalo?? It was a week ago when everyone love him, right?

RINGLEADER
11-14-2005, 09:05 AM
This rumor originates with profootballtalk who have been on an anti-Vermeil jag for the past few weeks. I don't see Vermeil quitting on the team even if they don't win another game all season. I could believe that players are losing patience with him (I would have lost patience two years ago when they resigned Bartee and DV said he was the best available CB in the league).

Dr. Facebook Fever
Has any coach ever quit mid-season on a team with a winning record? It's not like we're 1-8 or 0-9.

Cochise
Is this all stemming from the Profootballtalk article about players being upset at the long practices?

Because, I haven't seen any other sources, and we all know how reliable they are.

Phobia
11-14-2005, 09:06 AM
The only people who love him are Trent Green, Eddie Kennison, Dante Hall, and Eric Hicks. I thought everybody knew this.

Lzen
How did he go from beloved by his players for the call v. Oakland to a coach on the verge of losing his players with the loss at Buffalo?? It was a week ago when everyone love him, right?

A day in the life of Chiefs fandom. :shake:

kregger
Ah, Grasshopper, you have realized the fickleness of NFl fans.

RINGLEADER
11-14-2005, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Vermeil quit just so we get the chance to see how Saunders does, which would, after the team implodes under his coaching, give Peterson justification to look somewhere else (which I think he'll do anyways).

WTF is up with your avatar? Forest Friends? Tail touch? ROFL ROFL ROFL

DaFace
11-14-2005, 09:07 AM
I have to agree...dumbest rumor ever. If DV goes anywhere, it won't be till the end of the season.

dirk digler
11-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Is this all stemming from the Profootballtalk article about players being upset at the long practices?

Because, I haven't seen any other sources, and we all know how reliable they are.

They are more but as I said I would like some of CP's members to ask their sources if any of this is true.

RINGLEADER
11-14-2005, 09:09 AM

From ProFootballTalk.com this morning:

<B>VERMEIL GETTING READY TO VAMOOSE?</B>

With a humbling 14-3 loss at Buffalo capping a bad week for Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil, there is mounting speculation among observers of the franchise that Vermeil could resign before the end of the 2005 season.

The notion that he'll pack it in, at the latest, following the current campaign is almost a foregone conclusion.

We're hearing that Vermeil is furious regarding the fact that he was out of the loop as to the medical condition of running back Priest Holmes. Also, word is that the team's decision to place Holmes on IR came without Vermeil's knowledge or approval.

We continue to hear that Holmes won't return in 2006 if Vermeil if the head coach. Indeed, Holmes and Vermeil haven't even spoken, we're told, since Holmes left the team. Even if Holmes comes back, his understudy, Larry Johnson, might not show up for training camp absent a new contract.

The key factor in Vermeil's decision-making regarding the timing of his decision is whether the players continue to mentally and emotionally detach from him. Vermeil's decision to go for the win late against the Raiders last Sunday was, in our estimation, a last-ditch effort to keep the team from giving up on him. An ugly loss in Buffalo suggests that any positive feelings flowing from that win were short-lived.

If the Chiefs blow it on Sunday night against the 1-8 Texans, Vermeil could be boo-hooing at a press conference later that week, and handing the team over to offensive coorindator Al Saunders.

dirk digler
11-14-2005, 09:10 AM
From ProFootballTalk.com this morning:

Hadn't seen that one.

Phobia
11-14-2005, 09:12 AM
All I know is there are problems between the front office and the coaching staff. There has been problems for a long time. It's not getting any better either. I haven't heard anything about Vermeil quitting but it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

RINGLEADER
11-14-2005, 09:13 AM
If you read the opening paragraph to which this rumor is attributed it could be the writer, me, or even Taco John who is the source for this "information". Really guys, does "mounting speculation among observers of the franchise" qualify as something worth taking seriously?

Someone should start a "There's mounting speculation among observers of ___________" rumor thread...

Phobia
11-14-2005, 09:14 AM
Reading between the lines of the PFT article, I can see they've been reading between the lines of every press conference of the past 2 weeks. I wouldn't put too much stock into that report.

Extra Point
11-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Here's a crafts project for Planeteers who attend the next game at Arrowhead, in a non-Thanksgiving theme:

Make a headress out of construction paper and put it on a paper bag a la "Aints," and wear it during the game. Write "Chief Nobody," "Chief Carl," "CP," "Chief Dick" or whatever the Hell you want.

gblowfish
11-14-2005, 09:16 AM
I heard Grandpa Dick is going to be the third base coach for the Yankees.

Brock
11-14-2005, 09:19 AM
All I know is there are problems between the front office and the coaching staff. There has been problems for a long time. It's not getting any better either. I haven't heard anything about Vermeil quitting but it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if Carl Peterson's car exploded, either.

htismaqe
11-14-2005, 09:35 AM

Yep. This much is true.

The rift between Peterson and DV/AS is well-known...

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-14-2005, 09:36 AM
How telling is it when there are rumours about a super-bowl champion coach possibly quiting a team mid-season when the team has a winning record and most of the fans are ok with the idea...?

How far have we sunk in the hope department....

DMAC
11-14-2005, 09:41 AM
How far have we sunk in the hope department....

It just shows how HIGH of hopes we all had

dirk digler
11-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Yep. This much is true.

The rift between Peterson and DV/AS is well-known...

I didn't know about this. Is this really true? Peterson and DV are supposed to be best friends?

BigRedChief
11-14-2005, 09:43 AM
No way that DV goes out in the middle of the season. He wants to make it to the HOF. That would tarnish his rep.
This is PFT guys. How many times has their "rumors" been true?

But its defintely loking like a rehash of the final year of Marty. The players don't believe in the gleem anymore.

MichaelH
11-14-2005, 09:47 AM
If he was to leave halfway through the season on his own doing, he would be the biggest pussy in the NFL. Not that I would mind him leaving, but you just don't do that.

dirk digler
11-14-2005, 09:48 AM
No way that DV goes out in the middle of the season. He wants to make it to the HOF. That would tarnish his rep.
This is PFT guys. How many times has their "rumors" been true?

But its defintely loking like a rehash of the final year of Marty. The players don't believe in the gleem anymore.

BRC does your sources say the players have given up?

Also this isn't coming from PFT, I hadn't seen that article until Ringleader posted it.

htismaqe
11-14-2005, 09:53 AM
I didn't know about this. Is this really true? Peterson and DV are supposed to be best friends?

People in the know have reported it on several occasions.

There was the rift about Larry Johnson...

There was a big fallout when Gunther was hired (Vermeil was the one that didn't allow him to hire his own coaches)...

And there's definitely something going on with the Priest Holmes thing - Vermeil is apparently livid about not being in the loop...

dirk digler
11-14-2005, 09:57 AM

There was a big fallout when Gunther was hired (Vermeil was the one that didn't allow him to hire his own coaches)...

And there's definitely something going on with the Priest Holmes thing - Vermeil is apparently livid about not being in the loop...

Thanks.

I knew about LJ and the Priest situation but not about Gun.

I know alot of people thought that DV was lying when he said he didn't know anything about Priest but apparently he really didn't know and he hasn't talked to Priest yet. I am starting to believe the rumors that PH doesn't want to play for DV anymore.

Mr. Laz
11-14-2005, 10:02 AM
i highly doubt it ... but sounds good to me.

let vermeil quit now and have Saunders take over. That gives Saunders a small shot and will force the Chiefs to address the head coaching position immediately without all the BS delays that happened when Marty left.

carl dragged his feet for so long after marty that there was nobody left to hire but gunther.

BigRedChief
11-14-2005, 10:06 AM
BRC does your sources say the players have given up?

Also this isn't coming from PFT, I hadn't seen that article until Ringleader posted it.

The only personal one that I have is a players family member that I happen to bump into at a game. I meet the guy on most game day now and we talk about Chiefs football. Sometimes by PM or email. But I don't bug the guy with questions or start the conversations out of respect for their privacy. He lurks here and at the coalition but doesn't post.

dirk digler
11-14-2005, 10:08 AM
The only personal one that I have is a players family member that I happen to bump into at a game. I meet the guy on most game day now and we talk about Chiefs football. Sometimes by PM or email. But I don't bug the guy with questions or start the conversations out of respect for their privacy. He lurks here and at the coalition but doesn't post.

Thanks.

htismaqe
11-14-2005, 10:25 AM
i highly doubt it ... but sounds good to me.

let vermeil quit now and have Saunders take over. That gives Saunders a small shot and will force the Chiefs to address the head coaching position immediately without all the BS delays that happened when Marty left.

carl dragged his feet for so long after marty that there was nobody left to hire but gunther.

Given what I've heard about Peterson's relationship with Saunders, I'm hoping Vermeil does NOT retire in the middle of the season.

I'd guess that Peterson would elevate Gunther to HC over Saunders and then piddle around long enough that we'd be stuck with him.

Mr. Laz
11-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Given what I've heard about Peterson's relationship with Saunders, I'm hoping Vermeil does NOT retire in the middle of the season.

I'd guess that Peterson would elevate Gunther to HC over Saunders and then piddle around long enough that we'd be stuck with him.

that's possible ..

but if Carl is determined to piddle then nothing, not even a supersized peepee pad, is gonna be enough to stop him.

sedated
11-14-2005, 10:40 AM
I do believe that LJ would hold out if Holmes is back in 2006, but that's not likely.

I'm sure LJ won't see the end of his contract in KC. He'll either be extended or traded.

MOhillbilly
11-14-2005, 10:49 AM
i dont see this team as a whole quiting on DV. And i sure as shit dont see them quiting on the veteran leaders.
But i do see holes in a team that that had opportunities to take care of personel gaps long ago.

It seems like everyone is aware of these things except those who call the shots.

Big Chief Homer
11-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Someone called into the Redzone(nfl sirius radio) on friday afternoon and asked Pat kirwin about the rumor that Herm edwards was taking the chiefs job next year.

He said herm was not going to be taking the job that the jets dont want to let him go,then he stopped in the middle and said he wanted to address something he heard about the player turning on Vermiel.

He said he was in the locker room last week before the Raiders game and asked several players about DV retiring,they ALL and he repaeted ALL said they are trying to convince him to comeback.(I heard Green say the same in an interview).And that the practice fall out rumors are false.

He said he wouldnt be surprised if DV came back next year.Its pat Kirwin,but TIFWIW

I suspect Priest is annoyed at being put on IR.while others like simms,wilson ect stay on the roster.

DMAC
11-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Someone called into the Redzone(nfl sirius radio) on friday afternoon and asked Pat kirwin about the rumor that Herm edwards was taking the chiefs job next year.

He said herm was not going to be taking the job that the jets dont want to let him go,then he stopped in the middle and said he wanted to address something he heard about the player turning on Vermiel.

He said he was in the locker room last week before the Raiders game and asked several players about DV retiring,they ALL and he repaeted ALL said they are trying to convince him to comeback.(I heard Green say the same in an interview).And that the practice fall out rumors are false.

He said he wouldnt be surprised if DV came back next year.Its pat Kirwin,but TIFWIW

I suspect Priest is annoyed at being put on IR.while others like simms,wilson ect stay on the roster.

That's the smartest thing I've heard anybody say in this entire thread.

ferrarispider95
11-14-2005, 12:27 PM
No sh*t do you guys really believe Dicky is going to leave in the middle of the season.

We have a better chance of TO coming, which is not going to happen

ZootedGranny
11-14-2005, 12:32 PM
WTF is up with your avatar? Forest Friends? Tail touch? ROFL ROFL ROFL

Embrace the greatness that is the Perry Bible Fellowship:

http://cheston.com/pbf/archive.html

Bwana
11-14-2005, 12:51 PM
IMHO he isn't going to hit the road before the season is over, but I hope he takes the first bus the **** out of town when it is.

dirk digler
11-14-2005, 12:56 PM
For the record I don't believe in these rumors either but I wanted to know if anyone with sources in the organization could verify or deny if these rumors are true.

Danush
11-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Something is amiss, but I don't see DV quitting before the end of the season. It's probably just someone's wishful thinking.

Ralphy Boy
11-14-2005, 01:18 PM

Here's what I think, DV & Priest are pissed about him being placed on IR. Priest is DV's guy all the way and there is no way that Priest wants DV gone. If DV is gone, Priest knows he's likely gone & DV is loyal to him to the end and everything we've seen to this point shows as much. I think it was CP's decision to put Priest on IR because in Carl's mind he's seeing what he has in LJ and protecting the Chiefs/Holmes at the same time. Priest is taking it out on the whole team that he was put on IR & didn't want to be and that is why DV hasn't talked to him. Priest may not be sure if DV had a say in his going on IR but is mad enough right now to not care.

A friend of mine was at the Oakland game and he said after the win, Tony G came out and walked straight to his car without signing autographs even though fans were asking for them. He might do this every game, but if not I'd have no idea why he'd walk right past waiting fans after a win unless he was mad about something.

BigRedChief
11-14-2005, 01:21 PM
A friend of mine was at the Oakland game and he said after the win, Tony G came out and walked straight to his car without signing autographs even though fans were asking for them. He might do this every game, but if not I'd have no idea why he'd walk right past waiting fans after a win unless he was mad about something.

Standard procedure.

dirk digler
11-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Standard procedure.

Yep I have never heard anything good about Tony G from people wanting autographs and what not. I hear he is a real prick to people.

Nzoner
11-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Here's what I think, DV & Priest are pissed about him being placed on IR. Priest is DV's guy all the way and there is no way that Priest wants DV gone. If DV is gone, Priest knows he's likely gone & DV is loyal to him to the end and everything we've seen to this point shows as much. I think it was CP's decision to put Priest on IR because in Carl's mind he's seeing what he has in LJ and protecting the Chiefs/Holmes at the same time. Priest is taking it out on the whole team that he was put on IR & didn't want to be and that is why DV hasn't talked to him. Priest may not be sure if DV had a say in his going on IR but is mad enough right now to not care.

I heard a report in '97 that Carl & Marty had been overheard in a shouting match,speculation was that the rift was over Marty not wanting to replace Gannon with Grbac for the Saints game and the play-offs.If true we all know too well who won.

A year later when Marty was doing NFL Live for ESPN he was commenting on another team that year who was in the same situation(sorry I can't remember who)and I'll never forget him saying,do not do it,don't break the rhythm the qb has established with the team.

Speculation,maybe,but if these "rumors" are true it's no doubt that King Carl is the one who doesn't get along nor play well with others.

joesomebody
11-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Yep I have never heard anything good about Tony G from people wanting autographs and what not. I hear he is a real prick to people.Marcus Allen was the worst about this... the only way to get his Autograph was to buy a car from his dealership.

*Note... I'm a huge Marcus Allen fan, I just remember being a very disapointed 12 year old when I heard about this.

KCHawg
11-14-2005, 05:12 PM
I got a Marcus Allen autograph at the 2003 home opener. I was there in uniform on the field for the opening ceremony, looked over to the sideline and he was standing there. Walked over, asked politely and got it. Also got Kennison and Dante that day too! :hail: :thumb:

Extra Point
11-14-2005, 05:25 PM
I got Lynn Swann's autograph flying home from a sales meeting on a Friday. He was doing the MNF rain game.

Salt of the earth!