PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Fried Meat Ball!
11-14-2005, 11:27 AM
I'll preface this by saying I've not read the books, so I can't compare them. My wife enjoyed the film (she's read the books), but was irritated by some things left out. If you want to know specifics, PM with a question and I'll ask her. I also haven't edited this at all... it's a first (and only) draft. This would not be what I publish in the paper. I've tried to keep this as spoiler-free as I can, but beware -- there may be some.

The magic is still there.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is the fourth installment in J.K. Rowling's beloved children's book series. As young Harry, now 14, grows up, so does his voyeurs. And so do the movies.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban introduced us to a new, more mature (and scarier) Harry Potter film, thanks to Alfonso Cuaron's vision. Mike Newell (Mona Lisa Smile, Pushing Tin) shows us what's in his mind -- dragons, deception, and an eye for mood.

Goblet skips the opening sequence with the Dursleys we've come to know to jump right into the action. We see Harry is having nightmares indicating the rebirth of Lord Voldemort. Then, already, we’re in Hogwarts.

This year, Hogwarts is hosting the Tri-Wizard Championship – a series of contests designed to judge a wizard’s skill. The Goblet of Fire picks the three best wizards every year. This year, though, there’s a new rule – no one under 17, because of the dangers involved.

Somehow, our boy Harry joins three others. Harry is put to the test early and often as he musters up strength and courage to simply survive.

Newell introduces us to new characters – Mad Eye Moody (Brendan Gleeson) is gleefully defiant, and truly a joy to see realized on screen. Other characters we’ve come to know and love fall to the wayside (Hagrid and Snape). Daniel Radcliff and company as Harry, Ron and Hermoine continue to grow as characters and their performances show. Their real-life maturity shines in this as they enter an awkward stage in life.

Newell’s direction is dead on – more consistant than Cuaron’s and a lot less Disney-shiny-all-things-bright-and-beautiful Chris Columbus. Goblet of Fire deals a lot with deception, and Newell’s interpretations add to the mistrust. And the action is handled deftly, by all involved.

The visual style by cinematographer Roger Pratt (who was the director of photography for Chamber of Secrets) is magnificent.

A Warner Bros. release, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is rated PG-13 for sequences of fantasy violence and frightening images. Run time is 157 minutes. 3 1/2 stars (out of four).

AeroSquid
11-14-2005, 11:30 AM
I can't wait to download it lol. Seriously... Tim Burton should be directing all these movies. As it stands now the books at 100X better. Also i'm a dirty old man cause i want to touch Hermione's hiney. :D

Fried Meat Ball!
11-14-2005, 11:31 AM
I can't wait to download it lol. Seriously... Tim Burton should be directing all these movies. As it stands now the books at 100X better. Also i'm a dirty old man cause i want to touch Hermione's hiney. :D
Then go see it... you'll like it. You're sick. You're not supposed to even SAY those things for another three years.

angel
11-14-2005, 11:34 AM
You said it skipped over the Dursleys, does it skip right over the Quidditch World Cup, too?

Mr. Laz
11-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Also i'm a dirty old man cause i want to touch Hermione's hiney. :D
ROFL ROFL

your going to a very hot place, my friend. :p

http://img317.exs.cx/img317/5097/emma8pc.gif

Garcia Bronco
11-14-2005, 12:05 PM
This is the best book(4th) of all of them so far(total of 6)...there is no way they can do it justice...I would recommend seeing it before you read it....but do read it....it's the best book.

Garcia Bronco
11-14-2005, 12:06 PM

Burton movies suck

Fried Meat Ball!
11-14-2005, 12:09 PM
You said it skipped over the Dursleys, does it skip right over the Quidditch World Cup, too?
No, the World Cup is there... pretty short, though.

Fried Meat Ball!
11-14-2005, 12:10 PM
This is the best book(4th) of all of them so far(total of 6)...there is no way they can do it justice...I would recommend seeing it before you read it....but do read it....it's the best book.
If I know there's a movie version being make of a book, I ALWAYS see the movie first. I find that I can enjoy both on their own merits that way.

angel
11-14-2005, 12:13 PM
my friends and I know that we won't like the movie if we compare it to the books

we're having a pre-movie party, having some butterbeer (rootbeer mixed with butterscotch schnapps) and then heading out to see the midnight showing while slightly intoxicated to soften the blow

irishjayhawk
11-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Whered you see it at?

I'm still adjusting to not seeing movies before everyone else due to my working at a theatre. :P

Saulbadguy
11-14-2005, 12:56 PM
my friends and I know that we won't like the movie if we compare it to the books

we're having a pre-movie party, having some butterbeer (rootbeer mixed with butterscotch schnapps) and then heading out to see the midnight showing while slightly intoxicated to soften the blow
Butterbeer....any good?

angel
11-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Butterbeer....any good?
we had a butterbeer tasting party this weekend
we tried out many different recipies.. and the rootbeer with butterscotch schnapps won the taste test

so, yes- very good

there is also one with cream soda and butterscotch-second place winner, but the rootbeer one is better , in my opinion

Saulbadguy
11-14-2005, 01:05 PM
we had a butterbeer tasting party this weekend
we tried out many different recipies.. and the rootbeer with butterscotch schnapps won the taste test

so, yes- very good

there is also one with cream soda and butterscotch-second place winner, but the rootbeer one is better , in my opinion
Gotta try that this weekend...thanks :D

Valiant
11-14-2005, 01:29 PM

**** Tim Burton, You should be shot in the head... Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the Corpse bride sucked ass... Why do you want him to ruin another movie...

Valiant
11-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Burton movies suck

Another sensible person, **** your a donkey fan... How did that happen???

angel
11-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Gotta try that this weekend...thanks :D
there are more recipies for HP stuff on this crazy lady's website if you want:http://www.britta.com/hogwarts/recipes.html#pasties

Pants
11-14-2005, 01:41 PM
If I know there's a movie version being make of a book, I ALWAYS see the movie first. I find that I can enjoy both on their own merits that way.

I'm the other way around, except that I don't like it either way...

I can't stand someone else's imagination do the work for me, I like to read books and imagine things my own way, of course when the movie comes out, I, sometimes am dissapointed at the way they made it..

luv
11-14-2005, 01:45 PM

I can't stand someone else's imagination do the work for me, I like to read books and imagine things my own way, of course when the movie comes out, I, sometimes am dissapointed at the way they made it..
I like watching the movie before reading the book. If you read the book first, the movie is almost always a let down. For example. I watched The Firm, and loved the movie. I then read the book, and it put the movie to shame. I got the chance to enjoy the movie without knowing if it was a let down or not before reading the book.

Fried Meat Ball!
11-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Whered you see it at?

I'm still adjusting to not seeing movies before everyone else due to my working at a theatre. :P
I saw it at Barrywoods.

I have always done pretty well at keeping them completely separate. My vision as a book would be different (casting and everything) from the movie version, most of the time. To each his own.

Pants
11-14-2005, 02:01 PM
I saw it at Barrywoods.

I have always done pretty well at keeping them completely separate. My vision as a book would be different (casting and everything) from the movie version, most of the time. To each his own.

Yeah...casting, as in you would cast real life actors if you were making a movie version of the book? My mind doesn't work like that, a book is a completely separate entity from reality from me, and whenever I see a movie before I read the book I can't help but visualize it a certain way, a good example is BHD...

irishjayhawk
11-14-2005, 02:23 PM
Yeah, the books are hands down better. THat said, the movies have done thier best in respects to casting. In this case, I don't see Moody looking like he did in the movie. That's why the books will always remain #1.

beavis
11-14-2005, 02:46 PM
there are more recipies for HP stuff on this crazy lady's website if you want:http://www.britta.com/hogwarts/recipes.html#pasties
Pumpkin juice? :Lin:

angel
11-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Pumpkin juice? :Lin:
I'm not making that one :shake:

beavis
11-14-2005, 02:49 PM
I'm not making that one :shake:
I'm trying to figure out who would?

The butterbeer thing sounds kinda cool though, I might try that out.

angel
11-14-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm trying to figure out who would?

The butterbeer thing sounds kinda cool though, I might try that out.
it is good-- we had fun with the tasting last weekend

Baby Lee
11-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Any connection to Ron Mexico and the Giblets of Fire?

beavis
11-14-2005, 02:54 PM
it is good-- we had fun with the tasting last weekend
Cool. The first thing that popped in my head when I read that was peppermint schnapps and hot chocolate. Now that is some good stuff.

beavis
11-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Any connection to Ron Mexico and the Giblets of Fire?
If there was ever a comment that deserved rep, it's that one. ROFL

angel
11-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Cool. The first thing that popped in my head when I read that was peppermint schnapps and hot chocolate. Now that is some good stuff.
we tried:
rootbeer and butterscotch schnapps (the winner)
cream soda and butterscotch schnapps (second place)
hot chocolate, frangelico, and butterscotch schnapps (very good, but not quite butterbeer)
hot chocolate, bailey's and butterscotch schnapps (also good, but not right)
and then there was a mixture that I don't remember what all was in it, but it was something like: hot chocolate, rootbeer, butterscotch and something else...
there were more mixtures of the above ingredients that didn't work as well

Saulbadguy
11-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Peppermint Patty. :D

The cheap stuff makes me sick though.

beavis
11-14-2005, 03:07 PM
we tried:
rootbeer and butterscotch schnapps (the winner)
cream soda and butterscotch schnapps (second place)
hot chocolate, frangelico, and butterscotch schnapps (very good, but not quite butterbeer)
hot chocolate, bailey's and butterscotch schnapps (also good, but not right)
and then there was a mixture that I don't remember what all was in it, but it was something like: hot chocolate, rootbeer, butterscotch and something else...
there were more mixtures of the above ingredients that didn't work as well
Sounds like you have a thing for butterscotch. :hmmm:

beavis
11-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Peppermint Patty. :D

The cheap stuff makes me sick though.
Dang those things are good. And it's so easy to sneak a pint into the game...

I really need to get off this thread, or I'm going to be stopping at the liquor store on the way home.

angel
11-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Sounds like you have a thing for butterscotch. :hmmm:
well, it's called butterbeer, so we figured it should have something buttery in it-- and yes, the butterscotch schnapps is very tasty

beavis
11-14-2005, 03:12 PM
well, it's called butterbeer, so we figured it should have something buttery in it-- and yes, the butterscotch schnapps is very tasty
Well... it almost sounded like an empty the liquor cabinet night, so I thought I'd ask. :)

angel
11-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Well... it almost sounded like an empty the liquor cabinet night, so I thought I'd ask. :)
no, we specifically bought those things based on recipies we had found
I don't usually drink- but for Harry Potter, I make an exception...

Saulbadguy
11-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Dang those things are good. And it's so easy to sneak a pint into the game...

I really need to get off this thread, or I'm going to be stopping at the liquor store on the way home.
If you wanted to skip the root beer part for the butterbeer, just pick up some Butterscotch schnapps and some root beer schnapps,..and enjoy. :)

beavis
11-14-2005, 03:20 PM
I don't usually drink- but for Harry Potter, I make an exception...
Sounds crazy...

Come to think of it, I don't know if I believe you... you don't usually drink, but you drink before you go see a movie. Something's not right there. Just remember, de-nile isn't just a river in Egypt. :p

beavis
11-14-2005, 03:21 PM
If you wanted to skip the root beer part for the butterbeer, just pick up some Butterscotch schnapps and some root beer schnapps,..and enjoy. :)
I don't know, if I drank a bunch of that I might have to go see Harry Potter.

angel
11-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Sounds crazy...

Come to think of it, I don't know if I believe you... you don't usually drink, but you drink before you go see a movie. Something's not right there. Just remember, de-nile isn't just a river in Egypt. :p
I'm drinking before this movie because I know I'll hate it, but I still have to see it, and there's a drink specific to the movie

I don't usually drink-- only on special occasions- such as this

SNR
11-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Going opening night... late night... hopefully all the bitchy small children will be gone.

Saulbadguy
11-14-2005, 03:44 PM
http://magiclohan.ytmnd.com/

beavis
11-14-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm drinking before this movie because I know I'll hate it, but I still have to see it, and there's a drink specific to the movie

I don't usually drink-- only on special occasions- such as this
I was just kidding.

Delano
11-14-2005, 06:14 PM
It is going to be a great movie weekend for everyone.

Both Walk the Line and Harry Potter come out. I will be checking both out on Saturday.

Cochise
11-14-2005, 06:24 PM
:shrug:

Fried Meat Ball!
11-14-2005, 08:55 PM
It is going to be a great movie weekend for everyone.

Both Walk the Line and Harry Potter come out. I will be checking both out on Saturday.
I'll probably be heading out for Walk the Line on Saturday night... it's getting great reviews.