PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Warfield apologists left?

Munson
11-14-2005, 02:03 PM
So who wants to defend Warfield this week? Every week someone wants to defend him. He is the worst cornerback I have ever seen. You may think I'm overreacting because of the loss, but I'm not. I've hated him for years now. Everyone I know hates the guy.

Lets discuss his (lack of) coverage skills.

He can't cover anyone. He really can't. If he lines up against a #1 receiver, he gets burned. If he lines up against a #2 receiver, he gets burned. He can not be counted on to cover anyone on any type of deep route. He is always 3 steps behind. And he always gets burned on double moves/pump fakes. He tries to jump a route, and proceeds to get toasted. He just doesn't have good instincts to play the position. He is just god awful in man coverage.

Now lets discuss his (horrible) tackling skills.

I don't think I've ever seen Warfield make a form tackle. Every week, he puts on a clinic on how to arm tackle. Its sickening. He usually gives up a few extra yards when trying to bring someone down. And when he's not in position to arm tackle, he is an expert at the shoe lace tackle. I wish the NFL kept a stat on missed tackles. I guarantee that E Dub would lead the league.

So basically, we have a corner who can't consistently cover, and can't tackle worth a damn. And I don't want to hear that he's rusty because he missed the first 4 games, or that he is recovering from any injury. Warfield plays the same, whether he is hurt or not. I fail to see how he has a job in the NFL. Its embarrassing to watch him play.

InChiefsHell
11-14-2005, 02:06 PM
So Dex is better?

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-14-2005, 02:07 PM
From what I saw I thought he had pretty decent coverage on both td's. The QB and reciever just made good plays.

Flame away.

Pants
11-14-2005, 02:08 PM
I thought he played really well. He got beat on the 1st one by half a step and the 2nd TD... well no corner in the league would have prevented that.

morphius
11-14-2005, 02:09 PM
I don't have an issue with the guy, other then the creepy eyes and the drinking and driving issues. He will be burned on occassion, but so does every CB, its part of the position. The lack of practice time in TC and then the 4 game suspension really did put him a step back, but I will take him over Mccleon any day.

Count Zarth
11-14-2005, 02:10 PM
Lay off Warfield. Yes, he got burned on the first TD. Every corner is going to get burned at some point.

The second TD was undefendable. Jesus couldn't have defended that pass.

Plus, he's barely been back as a starter.

nascher
bla can't tackle lol actually Warfield is pretty darn good @tackling for a CB.

Dartgod
He is the worst cornerback I have ever seen.
Eh, he's no William Bartee...

Stinger
11-14-2005, 02:11 PM
From what I saw I thought he had pretty decent coverage on both td's. The QB and reciever just made good plays.

Flame away.I agree on the 2nd td it was either going to be a TD or 1st and goal at the 1 because of pass interference. Perfect pass with nothing he could do.

The first one however was all on Warfield, he got beat and jumped to about 2 yard to early. If he stays with is man he might have gotten back to the ball but he got beat plain and simple.

Count Zarth
Warfield > McCleon. The difference is glaring, IMO.

Mr. Laz

Flame away.
not on that first one

looks like he tried to bait the QB and then didn't run through the pass just tried to time his jump so he could look cool while getting an INT.

his ball skills are pathetic at best

Pants
11-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Looks like Wesley was back to his old "thuggin 4 life" form yesterday.

Count Zarth
Looks like Wesley was back to his old "thuggin 4 life" form yesterday.

Wesley rules! Gunther has done a great job with him.

ChiefsCountry
The second touchdown was just a damn good catch. The first was a pretty good catch, so its eiffy on being burnt. I thought Warfield had good coverage on it.

Pants
11-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Wesley rules! Gunther has done a great job with him.

I <3 W&W in a non-gay way.

cdcox
Bad coverage on the first TD, good coverage on the second. He's not a great corner, not a bad one either.

Count Zarth
If you ask me the biggest problem on those plays was ZERO pass rush.

And Knight sort of looked like he was loafing on the first one.

htismaqe
11-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Warfield > McCleon. The difference is glaring, IMO.

Washington > Warfield

carlos3652
11-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Warfield is head and shoulders above McCleon,

we dont give the cushion, and we play a lot more man...

Our Pass defense has improved tremendously since week 5...

Stinger
11-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Washington > Warfield
I am leaning this way myself would like to see what Starting Washington would bring to the table. IMO last few games he has been in, he has been pretty solid.

Count Zarth
Washington > Warfield

Could be. What are the chances of this coaching staff giving Washington a chance at being the starter?

bkkcoh
Bad coverage on the first TD, good coverage on the second. He's not a great corner, not a bad one either.

Not being or having played CB, it didn't really look like coverage was bad on either play. The first td was a great catch and and the 2nd was was perfect......

would people have bitched it he would have gotten a PI on the 2nd one... That would have been the only to prevent it.....

Mr. Laz
11-14-2005, 02:18 PM
If you ask me the biggest problem on those plays was ZERO pass rush.

And Knight sort of looked like he was loafing on the first one.
difficult to get a pass rush with only 4 guys rushing with no stunts, no nothing ... against 5/6/7 pass protecting.

knight and wesley both looked like they were loafing ... knight on the 1st and wesley on the 2nd.

htismaqe
11-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Could be. What are the chances of this coaching staff giving Washington a chance at being the starter?

Somewhere between slim and none I would think. Otherwise, he would have started during Warfield's suspension.

morphius
11-14-2005, 02:23 PM
Plus, how do we expect him to improve with Guinta?

Seek
11-14-2005, 02:26 PM
I see people saying the second TD was a damn good pass and catch. UH guys, If Warfield was in postion, that throw would have never taken place. Okay, so corners get beat now and again. UH, he got beat already on the exact same play. That was two times in one game.

Warfield > McCleon. LOL.. Seriously, Warfield = McCleon at best. At least when McCleon got beat it was still in front of him. Warfield has given up 3 TD in two games. McCleon 0 TD's in 5 games.

cdcox
11-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Not being or having played CB, it didn't really look like coverage was bad on either play. The first td was a great catch and and the 2nd was was perfect......

From what I saw, Warfield was beate badly off the line on the first play. Loserman then under threw the receiver, giving Warfield time to get back and make a play. Unfortunately he jumped way too soon, while still more that 2 yds behind the receiver. So in my book he made two mistakes on that play. Just as a comparison point, Dale Carter would have made the first mistake, then closed on the reciever to make the pick on the under throw. Carter was a head case, but had great speed and ball skills.

gblowfish
11-14-2005, 03:02 PM
His dog Nelly still likes him.
I guess....

nascher
11-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Carter lol maybe we can trade for Prime Time :)

cdcox
11-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Carter lol maybe we can trade for Prime Time :)

Not saying I want to bring Carter back now, just saying I wish we had someone with those kinds skills.

Extra Point
11-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Not a defense of Warfield, but where was the Left-Side/Free safety for the first one?

Hand it to the Bills OC for opening the cut on the first TD and rubbing the laces in it on the second.

nascher
11-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Yes but Warfield is maybe not as good as Carter once was.
But he is actually not a bad NFL starting CB. Our Pass defense is improving since he came back and give him some credit he hasn't played in a long time and in TC he got very few reps.

Deberg_1990
11-14-2005, 03:25 PM
OK, so Warfield gave up a couple of TD's yesterday...oh well. Hes not a worldbeater or anything but hes still miles better than McCleon. If McCleon would have started yesterday, Losman would have passed for about 350 yards. Our defense as a whole actually played a pretty damn good game yesterday. Once again the offense let this team down. How many times have they done this the past 2 years??? Unforgiveable for a team thats supposed to be built with an "offense 1st" mindset.

milehighfan
11-14-2005, 03:28 PM
His coverage on the two TD's wasn't the worst I have seen. Although making those unbelievable plays is what separates a fair CB from a great CB. Did you see his tackling in the Raider's game? It may have been the worst I have seen. It looks like he is afraid to take a hit. Watch the Broncos if you want to see some good defensive backs.

Mr. Kotter
11-14-2005, 03:29 PM
FTR, I think we should give Warfield some credit. He always "almost" there; you know, 1/2 step to a step to late.....as he closes from 3-4 steps when the ball was thrown.

I mean, come on! He's provided many NFL teams with awesome TD highlight films as he's "almost recovered" to make the play and is there lunging at the last split second, or almost slapping it away, or just "inches" away from the tackle. We should think up a good nickname for him...

Mr. Kotter
11-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Yes but Warfield is maybe not as good as Carter once was.
But he is actually not a bad NFL starting CB. Our Pass defense is improving since he came back and give him some credit he hasn't played in a long time and in TC he got very few reps.

You and Eric are drinkin' buddies aren't you? Does he buy, or are you the DD? Heh. :hmmm:

;)

Count Zarth
11-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Watch the Broncos if you want to see some good defensive backs.

KC passing yards allowed per game: 248.1

Denver passing yards allowed per game: 247.9

HemiEd
11-14-2005, 03:40 PM

Flame away.

Both were incredible catches IMO. I am not to sure anyone could have stopped those plays without getting called for pass interference.

FAX
11-14-2005, 03:43 PM
I feel sorry for him

FAX THE COMPASSIONATE

htismaqe
11-14-2005, 03:45 PM
KC passing yards allowed per game: 248.1

Denver passing yards allowed per game: 247.9

oopsie poopsie

ROFL

milehighfan
11-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Yds per game stats are important, but there are other stats such as W's and L's. The chiefs had a hell of year last year, offensively, and how far did it take them? You have to look at who, where and how these yards are gained.

jidar
11-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Man these guys are being nice.

The truth Munson, is that you're a fkin retard. Warfield isn't a top corner but he's solid, and the second best corner on our roster.

Count Zarth
11-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Yds per game stats are important, but there are other stats such as W's and L's. The chiefs had a hell of year last year, offensively, and how far did it take them? You have to look at who, where and how these yards are gained.

Your offense has played a hell of a lot better than ours.

Mr. Kotter
11-14-2005, 03:54 PM
....? You have to look at who, where and how these yards are gained.

And if you think those considerations make a damn bit of difference in this case, you are delusional. Same schedule as the Chiefs, same types of "games" generally in terms of close games vs. blow-outs. If you throw somethin' like that out, you should back it up or shut the hell up. We'll see at the end of the year, but I'd say you are FOS.

Mr. Laz
11-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Both were incredible catches IMO. I am not to sure anyone could have stopped those plays without getting called for pass interference.
kinder Laz
gentler Laz
less offensive Laz

1 .... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5 ...

Molitoth
11-14-2005, 04:04 PM
Man these guys are being nice.

The truth Munson, is that you're a fkin retard. Warfield isn't a top corner but he's solid, and the second best corner on our roster.

agree.

Quit bitching about the wrong person, although he contributed, Warfield did not lose that game.

Warfield is good compared to our braided asshair of Offensive Tackles.

ArrowheadHawk
11-14-2005, 04:11 PM
why are we worring about warfield when its obviously the offense that we need to worry about

Phobia
11-14-2005, 04:13 PM
I don't know that I'd categorize myself as an "apologist" but I thought he played pretty well yesterday. I thought he should have had help from Knight on the first TD and the second TD; well, you can't defend perfection.

FAX
11-14-2005, 04:15 PM
why are we worring about warfield when its obviously the offense that we need to worry about

Because we are Chiefs fans, Mr. ArrowheadHawk, in the throws of utter despair. And, because, Warfield hatred is the third stage of grief.

FAX THE HELPFUL

old_geezer
11-14-2005, 04:18 PM
The first TD he got burned on; the second was a perfect pass - Warfield couldn't have covered it any better. He's still better than what we could replace him with right now.

Chief Faithful
11-14-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm not upset with anyone on the defense as they kept the team in the game. This loss was strickly an offensive failure, which is something we are not accustomed to seeing the last few years.

Brock
11-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Warfield is incredibly overpaid. He's a 10 year project that hasn't really panned out.

htismaqe
11-14-2005, 05:44 PM
kinder Laz
gentler Laz
less offensive Laz

1 .... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5 ...

ROFL

papasmurf
11-14-2005, 06:36 PM
I thought Warfield played well. Even had decent coverage on the 2 TD's. I want to know where the safety was?

tommykat
11-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Rag on Warfield and Wesley......you all need to rag about something. :rolleyes:

Phobia
11-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Not "All".

whtgldwldr
11-14-2005, 08:04 PM
On the first touchdown, he went for a bump-and-run and pretty much wiffed. Evans blew past him, and he went in pursuit. Losman underthrew the ball by a bit and Warfield closed in several yards. He misstimed the jump. He got beat, yes, but didnt look awful doing it either.

On the second...he...well...was there. He had position. I dont know how the hell evans caught that ball. The whole time i was shouting PICK PICK! But no...touchdown. Dammit. I think god just parted the clouds and said "chiefs will lose today...suckas" and poof...touchdown.

Other than that, did anyone see the three screens to Moulds that on two Warfield completely blew up. And the other, well moulds slipped threw for a few yards. To say that he's the worst corner on the roster is proposterous. And to say hes worse than mcleon is downright retarded.

Even champ bailey gets burned sometimes, and im not claimin Warfield has talent anywhere near that level. Get off his back, give him a chance, and stop picking apart every damn mistake he makes.

dtebbe
11-14-2005, 08:47 PM
I thought Warfield played well. Even had decent coverage on the 2 TD's. I want to know where the safety was?

Exactly, Wesley is ALWAYS out of position, and he seems to have forgotten how to wrap up when he tackles.

DT

Extra Point
11-14-2005, 08:51 PM
I must admit I'm a Warfield apologist.

I'm sorry you all feel Warfield sucked yesterday. he did!

Iowanian
11-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Rag on Warfield and Wesley......you all need to rag about something. :rolleyes:

I think its time to cut the Prozac dose half a pill.

Warfield is grossly overpaid, that is fact.
Warfield didn't play terribly bad at all yesterday. He didn't have the safety help over the top, wasn't that far out of position, and was beaten Twice by good throws and catches. He's an upgrade over McCleon.

Extra Point
11-14-2005, 09:03 PM
I know a little spanish. Dos and dose are different?

bkkcoh
11-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Warfield is incredibly overpaid. He's a 10 year project that hasn't really panned out.

I would agree that EW is over paid, but isn't among the worst of CB's in the league.

Straight, No Chaser
11-14-2005, 09:20 PM
So who wants to defend Warfield this week? Blah
Lets discuss his (lack of) coverage skills.

He can't cover anyone. Blah, Blah,

Now lets discuss his (horrible) tackling skills.

Blah, Blah, Blah

3 points. As Dick said they only needed 4 to win. Rag on Warfield if he's burned and it costs the game. Niether happened yesterday.

Of real concern is the opposing teams' coming after Trent. Again and again until our O-line stops them or Green makes them pay. See Denver, San Diego, Buffalo.

Yes, Warfield is to blame :rolleyes:

KcMizzou
11-14-2005, 09:23 PM
3 points. As Dick said they only needed 4 to win. I'm confused. Wouldn't they have needed 15 points to win?

*edit - Oh... the Bills.... nm.

Phobia
11-14-2005, 09:27 PM
Exactly, Wesley is ALWAYS out of position, and he seems to have forgotten how to wrap up when he tackles.

DT

IIRC, Knight was cheating middle when Warfield needed deep help on the first TD. I don't know what happened for sure because I couldn't see the whole field.

Halfcan
11-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Yep Warfield sucks, but it seems only yesterday folks on here were saying how great he was going to be after his suspension.

DaWolf
11-15-2005, 12:27 AM
Eric Warfield, the $30 million dime back. Another brilliant Carl signing. Meanwhile Ty Law continues to have a good season...

Mr. Kotter
11-15-2005, 06:44 AM
Just to clarify my earlier remarks, if Warfield was paid to be an average corner....he'd be fine. Fact is he is being paid to be much more than average and he has failed to deliver.

Gaz
11-15-2005, 07:07 AM
The Offense managed 3 points and you are bagging on Warfield?

xoxo~
Gaz
A bit surprised at that approach.

Extra Point
11-15-2005, 07:12 AM
The defense is paid to keep the offense on the field. However, if the OC is calling Div 2 plays, then that makes it tough. Did Bell blow contain on the first TD?

Brock
11-15-2005, 07:32 AM

xoxo~
Gaz

Yeah, we haven't been complaining about the offense AT ALL.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-15-2005, 07:41 AM
if the Pats are losing in Arrowhead in a couple of weeks, Belichick should yell fire. The game will be forgetten with all the fans getting trampled and all

Shag
11-15-2005, 08:30 AM
Eric Warfield, the $30 million dime back. Another brilliant Carl signing. Meanwhile Ty Law continues to have a good season...

How is that even related? If Law was here, Warfield would still be the #2 guy because Surtain wouldn't be here...

Brock
11-15-2005, 08:35 AM
How is that even related? If Law was here, Warfield would still be the #2 guy because Surtain wouldn't be here...

That's probably true, but I don't doubt for a second that the chiefs could have had both if they really wanted both.

Mr. Kotter
11-15-2005, 08:44 AM

xoxo~
Gaz

Some would say, it would have been a 3-3 tie, had Warfield done his job.

Not that I agree.

jspchief
11-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Warfield is our best #2. He had good coverage on both those TDs, they were just good plays.

McCleon wouldn't have even been on the TV screen on those plays, and Washington wouldn't have been as tight on the WR.

You Washington honks need to go back and watch that Oakland game again. He was routinely beaten, but is was negligible because Kerry Collins couldn't hit the ocean with his passes.

Mr. Kotter
11-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Warfield is our best #2. He had good coverage on both those TDs, they were just good plays.

McCleon wouldn't have even been on the TV screen on those plays, and Washington wouldn't have been as tight on the WR.

You Washington honks need to go back and watch that Oakland game again. He was routinely beaten, but is was negligible because Kerry Collins couldn't hit the ocean with his passes.

I agree with that, generally. Some would say he's paid enough he should have made one, if not both, of those plays though. He always seems "close," but close only counts in....

ChiefsOne
11-15-2005, 09:01 AM
I don't hold Warfield responsible for the loss or the two touchdowns, he was in good position both times. Give the WR and QB a little credit, our O sucked ass and didn't score enough points.

Warfield is a solid #2 corner, far and about McCleon.

jspchief
11-15-2005, 09:04 AM
I agree with that, generally. Some would say he's paid enough he should have made one, if not both, of those plays though. He always seems "close," but close only counts in....Yea, he's overpaid. So are half the players on our roster not to mention half the players on every roster in the NFL. It's the nature of the business. No one was talking about Surtain being overpaid when he was badly beaten in the Oakland game.

IMO, there won't be many better #2 CBs out there for cheaper. Warfield almost always has tight coverage, even if he doesn't always defend the pass.

jynni
11-15-2005, 09:13 AM
So who wants to defend Warfield this week? Every week someone wants to defend him. He is the worst cornerback I have ever seen.
You know - I've read this whole thread and I still can't get over this statement. It's just so absurd.

Did this person miss the Bartee experiment - you know that one CB that has yet to get an interception? Was McCleon such a traumatizing experience that it's been blocked from memory?

Mr. Kotter
11-15-2005, 09:17 AM
Yea, he's overpaid. So are half the players on our roster not to mention half the players on every roster in the NFL. It's the nature of the business. No one was talking about Surtain being overpaid when he was badly beaten in the Oakland game.

IMO, there won't be many better #2 CBs out there for cheaper. Warfield almost always has tight coverage, even if he doesn't always defend the pass.

I hear you. It's just disappointing how he's underachieved so badly, given expectations over the years.

jspchief
11-15-2005, 09:24 AM
I hear you. It's just disappointing how he's underachieved so badly, given expectations over the years.Warfield's agent must have had naked pictures of CP's wife when he signed that contract. It was absurd when it was inked, and short of becoming a Pro Bowler, he had no shot of "earning" it.

To this day I wonder what they were thinking. He hadn't even played well at the time we resigned him, and I doubt any other team in the league would have paid him close to that.

All the same, he's easily the best #2 on our team at this point, and I don't expect to get a better CB for much cheaper.

shakesthecat
11-15-2005, 09:24 AM
I hear you. It's just disappointing how he's underachieved so badly, given expectations over the years.

Underachieved?
He was a 7th round pick. I'd say he's more than exceeded any realistic excpectations a long time ago.

Mr. Kotter
11-15-2005, 09:34 AM
Underachieved?
He was a 7th round pick. I'd say he's more than exceeded any realistic excpectations a long time ago.

As a draft pick you are right; based on athletic ability and the untapped promise shown the first 2-3 years of his career...he has underachieved since that point, IMHO.

DaWolf
11-15-2005, 10:07 AM
That's probably true, but I don't doubt for a second that the chiefs could have had both if they really wanted both.
Exactly. We had the cap room for both, although I woulda used it on a reciever rather than Law. The bigger connection is that if Carl hadn't spent $30 mil on Eric Wussfield, we'd be in position to sign actual talent who could consistently deliver.

Then again it's Carl. I won't bring up the McGlockton, Dan Williams, Lew Bush, Carlton Gray, etc. signings...

Mr. Laz
11-15-2005, 11:16 AM
not really ... if they would of used the sammy knight money towards another cornerback instead.

CB Surtain
SS wesley
FS bartee
CB Law

Nickle warfield
Dime McCleon

washington prolly wouldn't be here though

jspchief
11-15-2005, 11:19 AM
How many teams sign two FA CBs of Surtain and Law's ability and price? No one, and there's a reason. Why pay a Pro Bowl corner to cover a #2 WR?

It's putting way too many eggs in one basket.

Count Zarth
11-15-2005, 11:20 AM
How many teams sign two FA CBs of Surtain and Law's ability and price? No one, and there's a reason. Why pay a Pro Bowl corner to cover a #2 WR?

Baltimore.

Mr. Laz
11-15-2005, 11:32 AM

how many teams have such a huge issue with pass defense?

we had the chance to do it and chose not too

would of really helped against the chargers too ... we could of put a cornerback on Gates and still had 2 in normal coverage.

if we are going to just rush 4 guys on a basic rush then we need to be strong in coverage.

right now we aren't