PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Battlefield II

jspchief
11-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Anyone else playing this? I got it last week and have been playing the shit out of it. Pretty fun game. I don't know what category it would fall under, but it reminds me of a Halo style of game (but I only played Halo once, so they may not be that comparable).

I started out doing the regular single player missions, but they got tough so I switched to Galactic Conquest. I'd say it's the best way to get acclimated with the game, because dying a lot doesn't hurt as much as in the regular missions.

The space battles are cool as hell, although the dogfight style ships have too low of armor IMO. Still lots of fun.

Valiant
11-15-2005, 10:31 PM
I have had it a couple weeks.. Its fun, I still think Battlefield 2 is a better massive fps...

jspchief
11-16-2005, 10:13 AM
I have had it a couple weeks.. Its fun, I still think Battlefield 2 is a better massive fps...Massive FPS... so that's what it's called.

It's the first one I've owned (I mostly play sports games on PS2) so I don't have much to compare it to. Ignorance is bliss because I think it's fun as hell.

Saulbadguy
11-16-2005, 10:22 AM
I think its fun to run around and kill teammates.

Pants
11-16-2005, 12:18 PM
I think its fun to run around and kill teammates.

Wow dude, so you're on of those annoying lamers you get to see from time to time on teh intrawebs games?

Also, I don't think it's called a massive FPS, it's just an online FPS. I know there was/is a game that was a massive FPS, that was set up like an mmo with thousands of people playing on the same server... can't recall the name though.

NewChief
11-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Wow dude, so you're on of those annoying lamers you get to see from time to time on teh intrawebs games?

Also, I don't think it's called a massive FPS, it's just an online FPS. I know there was/is a game that was a massive FPS, that was set up like an mmo with thousands of people playing on the same server... can't recall the name though.

Either he's truly a griefer, or he's just having fun with the fact that he admitted he liked to block doors in EQ so other people would die to the mob they were fighting and everyone gave him shit bigtime for it.

Saulbadguy
11-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Either he's truly a griefer, or he's just having fun with the fact that he admitted he liked to block doors in EQ so other people would die to the mob they were fighting and everyone gave him shit bigtime for it.
Not EQ, Ultima Online.

Count Alex's Losses
11-16-2005, 07:55 PM
I just play it so I can experience the battles of the Star Wars story.

There is just nothing like tromping around in an AT-AT.

Frazod
11-16-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm playing on the PC - I absolutely love the space battles - great addition that blows the first game away. That's pretty much all I play. I'm also much better at the space combat than the ground combat.

I go by "ZOD" online, and typically frequent the space-only arenas.

GoTrav
11-16-2005, 11:38 PM
Anyone else playing this? I got it last week and have been playing the shit out of it. Pretty fun game. I don't know what category it would fall under, but it reminds me of a Halo style of game (but I only played Halo once, so they may not be that comparable).

I started out doing the regular single player missions, but they got tough so I switched to Galactic Conquest. I'd say it's the best way to get acclimated with the game, because dying a lot doesn't hurt as much as in the regular missions.

The space battles are cool as hell, although the dogfight style ships have too low of armor IMO. Still lots of fun.

PC or console version? I've wanted to try it but I suck at FPS' on consoles and didn't want to spend the cash on the PC version. Still playing BF2 though. I can finally almost fly and kill someone other than myself after about 2 years of playing.

Valiant
11-17-2005, 12:01 AM

It was planetside, but imo anything with 128players is massive..

And there is no, absolutely 0 fps games that can support 1000's in on server.. Hell the biggest battle I had on planetside was roughly 600 people fighting at once in about a one square mile of area...

The next great game that is a massive fps game coming out is huxley.. It is ran off of the UT2007 engine I believe...

Battlefield 2, Battlefront 2, UT2005 are all massive fps games...

Battlefields, Planetside, and huxley just allow you to upgrade your character through playing enough times...

-----------

For Battlefront 2, I had a game last night online agianst other players and I was lucky enough to get the jedi option because of my score... Well I was darth maul and I had 43kills and 0deaths in about 4minutes, moral of the story hope I do not get to be a jedi...oh and I will spawn rape if I get the chance to end the game with a victory...

Valiant
11-17-2005, 12:04 AM
PC or console version? I've wanted to try it but I suck at FPS' on consoles and didn't want to spend the cash on the PC version. Still playing BF2 though. I can finally almost fly and kill someone other than myself after about 2 years of playing.

Really??? I never played the first one, but the second battlefield I do pretty good on considering I never squad up or in a clan.. Usually get top 3 or 5 on my side normally... I snipe, and take CP that are not usually guarded well... I need to play that game agian, when I am not barring/sports/drunk I play Battlefront 2 and City of Villians...

jspchief
11-17-2005, 12:08 AM
I play on PS2 and have yet to ever play any console game online.

With the crappy weather, I may see if I can figure it out tommorrow. It would be cool to actually have people that know what they are doing fighting with and against you.

Fishpicker
11-17-2005, 12:34 AM
I didn't care for the first one. Is the second one drastically improved or is it just tweaked cosmetically?

Specifically: in SWBF headshots didnt translate into instant kills...has that changed? If it has; I might dedicate one of my X-boxes to serve.

ChiefFripp
11-17-2005, 12:42 AM
I'll just wait for a Battlefield 2 Star Wars mod to come out. Battlefront completely underwhelmed me and I'm not going to drop $50 on another one.

Frazod
11-17-2005, 01:01 AM
I play on PS2 and have yet to ever play any console game online.

With the crappy weather, I may see if I can figure it out tommorrow. It would be cool to actually have people that know what they are doing fighting with and against you.

It's awesome - gives the game an entire new dimension. I just got done playing with a really savvy bunch of guys - they play smart and work together. Every time there's a new battle the sides get mixed up, too. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but it's always fun.

Again - the space battle feature of BFII completely sets it apart from the first one.

jspchief
11-17-2005, 09:17 AM
For those of you who do a lot of space battles, how do you go about it? Dogfight, turrets, bombers, or do you board?

I prefer to take a transport or bomber and board right away. I detonate the shields, then turret system, then engines, and finally the life support. This can normally be accomplished in one life, racks up a ton of points, and is an easy War Hero medal. Then I get back on my ship (or commandeer an enemy bomber) and head for the frigates. Once they are destroyed, if I don't have victory yet, I start bombing the main cruiser.

I imagine it's not so simple versus other players rather than AI, but for single player, it's a quick,easy victory that gets you a lot of medals.

Frazod
11-17-2005, 10:13 AM
I stick with the flying the fighters - generally the fast, light fighters (the best one is the droid tri-fighter with its vicious multiple missile attack). I don't bother with boarding actions or flying bombers - that bores me. I'll only grab a heavy fighter or bomber if my team is way behind on destroying the enemy's capital ship. Generally, for me, it's all about the dogfighting.

In capture-the-flag, I will actively try to get the flag and score. You get bigtime points for that.

Pants
11-17-2005, 11:25 AM
It was planetside, but imo anything with 128players is massive..

And there is no, absolutely 0 fps games that can support 1000's in on server.. Hell the biggest battle I had on planetside was roughly 600 people fighting at once in about a one square mile of area...

The next great game that is a massive fps game coming out is huxley.. It is ran off of the UT2007 engine I believe...

Battlefield 2, Battlefront 2, UT2005 are all massive fps games...

Battlefields, Planetside, and huxley just allow you to upgrade your character through playing enough times...

-----------

For Battlefront 2, I had a game last night online agianst other players and I was lucky enough to get the jedi option because of my score... Well I was darth maul and I had 43kills and 0deaths in about 4minutes, moral of the story hope I do not get to be a jedi...oh and I will spawn rape if I get the chance to end the game with a victory...

Eh, so you're just using "massive" to describe it, that's fine, it's your opinion, all I'm saying is that it's not the official way to call those games, they're just online FPS which are able to support more people due to hardware improvements over time. Massive multiplayer online games imply a monthly fee with server worlds.

Seek
11-18-2005, 12:41 PM
I play it a bunch. It is a requirement that I buy games that my wife can play with me.

She fell in love with the first one. So far, she is struggling with the new one, but we still play it whenever our 5 month old will allow us.

She struggles with Space.

I have not seen some of the old maps. Like the Docks, or the Rhen Var maps.

I don't really care for the trash talking that goes on in the game bye CPU. Like You think that Armor is going to save you, or Stay Dead Plastic Boy. Its funny once or twice.

Seek
11-18-2005, 12:44 PM
For those of you who do a lot of space battles, how do you go about it? Dogfight, turrets, bombers, or do you board?

I prefer to take a transport or bomber and board right away. I detonate the shields, then turret system, then engines, and finally the life support. This can normally be accomplished in one life, racks up a ton of points, and is an easy War Hero medal. Then I get back on my ship (or commandeer an enemy bomber) and head for the frigates. Once they are destroyed, if I don't have victory yet, I start bombing the main cruiser.

I imagine it's not so simple versus other players rather than AI, but for single player, it's a quick,easy victory that gets you a lot of medals.

I prefer using in the interceptors, X wings or Air to Air type plans, and I like to board the other ships and blow up stuff, with a pilot.

Using the turrets are boring.

Using Bombers are only good if you are trying to destroy something external that can't be destroyed from inside, like the Engines.

jspchief
11-18-2005, 02:20 PM
I prefer using in the interceptors, X wings or Air to Air type plans, and I like to board the other ships and blow up stuff, with a pilot.

Using Bombers are only good if you are trying to destroy something external that can't be destroyed from inside, like the Engines.Agree that turrets are boring. Too much looking for targets and not enough shooting.

The reason I use a bomber to board is the armor. They can can take a beating when approaching the enemy hangar. I usually board right away and use the pilot to blow up everything. If we get a big enough points lead, I start dogfighting, but if it's close, I'll bomb the frigates and the exterior of the main cruiser.

Seek
11-22-2005, 09:00 AM
supposdely the farther away you bomb something the more damage it does. Cause the gravity it gives the bombs more speed for damage.

Frazod
11-22-2005, 01:44 PM

Using Bombers are only good if you are trying to destroy something external that can't be destroyed from inside, like the Engines.

My favorite is the droid tri-fighter. You fly in close behind somebody and hit 'em with three rounds of those seeker missiles and it's pretty much lights out. Best ship of the bunch, IMO.