PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Free Agent Offensive Tackles

Bill Lundberg
11-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Here is a list of the free agent tackles for next year. It may be missing a few, but who would you like to see the Chiefs make a run at??

OL Stocker McDougle
OL Alonzo Ephraim (RFA)
OT Scott Gragg
OT Barrett Brooks
OT L.J. Shelton
OT Tony Pashos (RFA)
OT Makoa Freitas (RFA)
OT Mike Pearson
OT Ephraim Salaam
OT Seth Wand (RFA)
OT Victor Riley
OT Chad Slaughter
OT Jordan Black (RFA)
OT Courtney Van Buren (RFA)
OT Ethan Brooks
OT Torrin Tucker (RFA)
OT John St. Clair
OT Jeff Backus
OT Kevin Barry
OT Todd Fordham
OT Todd Steussie
OT Kevin Shaffer
OT Barry Stokes
OT Rex Tucker
OT Wayne Hunter (RFA)
OT Anthony Clement

My choices are in bold.

htismaqe
11-15-2005, 11:12 AM
We should be looking for a RT here, and a LT in the draft. For that reason, I might look at a guy like Backus...

shaneo69
11-15-2005, 11:21 AM
We should be looking for a RT here, and a LT in the draft. For that reason, I might look at a guy like Backus...

I thought Backus played LT. At least when McDougle played RT for the Lions. Did they switch him this year?

There's enough starters (but not superstars) on that list that they shouldn't be too expensive.

I would target guys who have started at LT like Backus, Shelton, Pearson, or Shaffer, then hope that Sampson, Parquet, or Svitek develops into a reliable starter at RT.

Bill Lundberg
11-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Oh I'm with you on drafting a LT, but it would be nice if he had someone to compete against in case Roaf retires, which I believe he will. It would just seem all to likely for us to draft a LT, then have him come into training camp behind Jordan Black, that is a scenario I would like to avoid all together.

shaneo69
11-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Quick bio on Kevin Shaffer...

Selected as the second of two seventh round (244th pick overall) draft choices by Atlanta in 2002.

Career
---Full-time starter in 2004 at left tackle as part of a rushing attack that ranked first in the NFL in multiple categories, including total rushing yards (2,672) and average yards per carry (5.1).
---Started 22 of the past 23 games at left tackle for the Falcons.
---Key blocks have allowed QB Michael Vick to earn a pair of Pro Bowl nods.
---Gained extensive playing time at left tackle in 2003 due to a season-ending injury to Bob Whitfield at midseason

htismaqe
11-15-2005, 11:27 AM
I thought Backus played LT. At least when McDougle played RT for the Lions. Did they switch him this year?

There's enough starters (but not superstars) on that list that they shouldn't be too expensive.

I would target guys who have started at LT like Backus, Shelton, Pearson, or Shaffer, then hope that Sampson, Parquet, or Svitek develops into a reliable starter at RT.

Oops, I was thinking of one of his teammates at Michigan...

chagrin
11-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Backus, McDougle

and when the hell is G Hutchinson coming available?

nascher
11-15-2005, 11:36 AM
If Roaf retires sign a vet for the next season and maybe in 07 Svitek is ready to play.

Bill Lundberg
11-15-2005, 12:10 PM
If Roaf retires sign a vet for the next season and maybe in 07 Svitek is ready to play.

ROFL

ROYC75
11-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Rumor has it that Jordan Black is da bomb, has much upside .

Extra Point
11-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Clement, Ethan Brooks. Spend wisely.

Tribal Warfare
11-15-2005, 12:40 PM
I believe in all probabilty KC will draft an OL.

DeepSouth
11-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Isn't Shelton the one Arizona was trying to pawn off on someone in the off season because he was considered a bust?

Warrior5
11-15-2005, 01:05 PM
I want the Chiefs' off-season strategy to focus on succeeding in '07, not '06. Whatever they do, they should take that into account.

Next year is a rebuild.

Black Jack Savage
11-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Shelton is kind of bustish from what I've heard. Although in all honesty doesn't it seem like one of the best ideas is to take these high picks that other sh*tty teams have cast-off b/c of underwhelming performance (Denver and the Cleveland line for example)?

ChiefsOne
11-15-2005, 01:20 PM
OT Seth Wand

Is Wand very good? He is from Catholic HS here is Springfield, remember hearing about him when he went to the NFL. All I know about him is that he is a big kid and I think plays for the Texans.

Rausch
11-15-2005, 01:21 PM
The Rams will likely Franchise Pace again.

Worth trading a 1st for?...

Bill Lundberg
11-15-2005, 01:28 PM
OT Seth Wand

Is Wand very good? He is from Catholic HS here is Springfield, remember hearing about him when he went to the NFL. All I know about him is that he is a big kid and I think plays for the Texans.

He went to Northwest Missouri State and was drafted in the 3rd round by the Texans. He is huge and moves well, I believe he started last year, but isn't starting this year. He would be more of a project, but the upside is worth a flier, plus he wouldn't cost much.

htismaqe
11-15-2005, 01:32 PM

Nah, he's 30 years old.

Rausch
11-15-2005, 01:38 PM
Nah, he's 30 years old.

Roaf was older.

I'm just curious if he's still a dominating LT, I don't watch the Lambs much...

htismaqe
11-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Roaf was older.

I'm just curious if he's still a dominating LT, I don't watch the Lambs much...

We didn't give up a 1st for Roaf.

And yes, Pace is probably top 2 or 3. I think Jones in Seattle is the best...

Rausch
11-15-2005, 01:41 PM
We didn't give up a 1st for Roaf.

And yes, Pace is probably top 2 or 3. I think Jones in Seattle is the best...

I'd trade a 1st for a player who's top 5 at his position, as long as he signed long term.

htismaqe
11-15-2005, 01:53 PM
I'd trade a 1st for a player who's top 5 at his position, as long as he signed long term.

I would too, if I thought I could get at least 5 years out of him. He's 30 years old.

Rausch
11-15-2005, 01:57 PM
I would too, if I thought I could get at least 5 years out of him. He's 30 years old.

I'd consider myself lucky to get 5 probowl years out of any NFL player.

If we don't solve the LT problem we'll be lucky to get 5 more weeks out of Trent...

htismaqe
11-15-2005, 02:05 PM
I'd consider myself lucky to get 5 probowl years out of any NFL player.

If we don't solve the LT problem we'll be lucky to get 5 more weeks out of Trent...

My bad. We've been talking about Pace, who has been franchised over and over by the Rams. For whatever reason, I was thinking TWO 1st round picks to get Pace...

Yes, if we could get 5 years out of him, I'd trade a SINGLE 1st rounder for him...

ChiefsOne
11-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Pace would be a good pick up, but only if he signed a 5-6 year contract and came to camp on time!

Rausch
11-15-2005, 02:28 PM
My bad. We've been talking about Pace, who has been franchised over and over by the Rams. For whatever reason, I was thinking TWO 1st round picks to get Pace...

Yes, if we could get 5 years out of him, I'd trade a SINGLE 1st rounder for him...

2 1st rounders is the compensation for a franchised player, but lately most teams work out a trade, remove the tag, agree to lesser compensation...

Calcountry
11-15-2005, 02:30 PM
I want the Chiefs' off-season strategy to focus on succeeding in '07, not '06. Whatever they do, they should take that into account.

Next year is a rebuild.With that in mind, who is your starting QB in 07? How bout WR in 07?

Calcountry
11-15-2005, 02:32 PM
I would too, if I thought I could get at least 5 years out of him. He's 30 years old.No growth potential for that old big company. Better invest in a new young company with lots of growth potential.

Kclee
11-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Isn't this about the time in a thread that it should be , nay, must be mention that we could have had LT McKinney instead of Sims in the draft. (even if at that time we may or may not have needed him.)

Fish
11-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Sign Victor Riley and this Jordan Black dude..... booya.... instant SB!

sedated
11-15-2005, 02:44 PM

I beleive they actually signed him up this last off-season

BigChiefFan
11-15-2005, 02:45 PM
I think we are better served using a high draft pick on an OT of the future. I think we have a decent shot at Marcus McNeil.

Mr. Laz
11-15-2005, 02:51 PM
OT Jordan Black (RFA)
i hear good things about Black ... they say he's a stud and as good as any.

Bill Lundberg
11-15-2005, 03:05 PM
i hear good things about Black ... they say he's a stud and as good as any.

Man wouldn't it be great if some team actually offered him a contract say 5 years for oh I don't know, a bag of peanuts. Then the Chiefs could say, Jordan has done a great job and we hate to lose a player of his calibur, but at this time we can not afford to give up a bag of peanuts. ROFL

HemiEd
11-15-2005, 04:18 PM
We are carrying two rookie OTs on the active roster now, Svitek and Parquet. What about these guys? Szott was a 7th rounder and took a while IIRC. :shrug:

htismaqe
11-15-2005, 04:32 PM
We are carrying two rookie OTs on the active roster now, Svitek and Parquet. What about these guys? Szott was a 7th rounder and took a while IIRC. :shrug:

Szott was a guard.

Tackles are much more of a "skill" position...

HemiEd
11-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Szott was a guard.

Tackles are much more of a "skill" position...

What do you think of Svitek and Parquet?

Chieftain58
11-15-2005, 04:40 PM
all of em'!

htismaqe
11-15-2005, 04:41 PM
What do you think of Svitek and Parquet?

I think they have very little chance of panning out...

Late round, developmental-type players have a much better chance of working at Guard. There's a reason that so many tackles are 1st-round picks.

philfree
11-15-2005, 04:49 PM
I think we are better served using a high draft pick on an OT of the future. I think we have a decent shot at Marcus McNeil.

There are a handfull of decent OTs in the class it appears so drafting an OT in the 1st isn't a bad idea at all. IMO we should probably draft one and sign a FA to start in Roafs place. We need to be sure and get the O line fixed.

PhilFree:arrow:

sedated
11-15-2005, 04:49 PM
At least the Chiefs have a history of getting good, underrated O-linemen.

Weigman was an underrated FA.

We got Roaf for relatively nothing.

Waters had been released a couple times.

htismaqe
11-15-2005, 04:53 PM
At least the Chiefs have a history of getting good, underrated O-linemen.

Weigman was an underrated FA.

We got Roaf for relatively nothing.

Waters had been released a couple times.

We've traditionally had much better luck with interior linemen...not coincidentally, I mentioned that tackles were more like a skill position...

HemiEd
11-15-2005, 04:58 PM
We've traditionally had much better luck with interior linemen...not coincidentally, I mentioned that tackles were more like a skill position...

The Bear fans up here are all excited about their O Line now, after having a horrible one for years. Tait was kind of high priced for a RT tackle though I think.

sedated
11-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Tait was kind of high priced for a RT tackle though I think.

14 million signing bonus? 11 million cap number last year?

hell yeah