PDA

View Full Version : Son Of A *****!!

Bwana
11-15-2005, 10:45 AM
I just had my home furnace go T.U. :shake: Coldest day of the year and this thing goes south. The gas guy came over, condemned it, cut the gas line and hit the road. :# I have already ran 4 heating and cooling guys through here with various brands and prices. Any tips on brands, or what a guy should expect to pay for something like this?

NewChief
11-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Sorry man. Happened to me twice when I rented in Colorado. Both times it was on the weekend. Both times it was extremely cold. We had to break out our down sleeping bags just to hang out in the house. One time we had house guests, which really sucked. No advice on make and model for a furnace, I haven't had to buy my own yet.

Mr. Kotter
11-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Bummer, man. But better now, than January. You could spend anywhere from $1500 to $6000 grand depending. We bought a Ruud about 4 yrs ago when our did the same thing; we've been pleased with it so far. Very efficient, and saves us bucoo $$$ compared to the old system.

Some power companies will allow you to finance it as a part of your monthly bill, if cash flow is a problem too.

Iowanian
11-15-2005, 10:49 AM
I've got a bid coming today to replace my furnace(and Central air).

I'll get back to you with what I find out.

MOhillbilly
11-15-2005, 10:51 AM
get a corn furnace-

David.
11-15-2005, 10:52 AM
lame :/

Bwana
11-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Hmmm? I was in theory going to be on the road in Wyoming today................guess that will have to wait until at least this afternoon. Much to my surprise, some of these outfits can get it installed today.

Bwana
11-15-2005, 10:55 AM
get a corn furnace-

I fired up the wood fireplace insert today which worked very well for the top floor.

Iowanian
11-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Corn furnaces are nice.....if you live in corn country and have easy access. They'll use about 50lbs(1 bushell) every 24hrs. I have a couple of buddies with them, and personally think they're probably better as an alternate heat, and would work great in conjunction with someone like myself with an older furnace.

Bwana
11-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Corn furnaces are nice.....if you live in corn country and have easy access. They'll use about 50lbs(1 bushell) every 24hrs. I have a couple of buddies with them, and personally think they're probably better as an alternate heat, and would work great in conjunction with someone like myself with an older furnace.

Not enough corn around here. :) Lots of Beef, but not much corn.

MOhillbilly
11-15-2005, 11:06 AM

260$ a ton is cheap. 40 bags per ton and w/ mild south missouri winter it makes smarts to me.

Extra Point
11-15-2005, 11:07 AM
What went wrong with it? It it's the heat exchanger, glad you're still with us. I'd buy a Goodman or a Lennox. Get a 90+ percent eff. unit. No need to buy an new A coil. If that's the case, $900-1200 for the furnace, $600-$900 for installation, probably. The installer will have to recover the freon in the A coil, and re-fill the system, as you probably have central air.

Our air conditioner konked out the first day of the first string of hot summer days. That was a lot of fun! The compressor unit was built in the late 80's!

I've fixed the furnace (92 vintage- should get a new one) three times: motor, hi limit switch, and ignitor, spending $180 over 6 years.

Glad my bro is HVAC certified! He's taught me a sh!tload.

This is the last year they make air conditioners with less than 13 SEER. You might save a little money, if you need a new unit.

Bwana
11-15-2005, 11:36 AM
What went wrong with it? It it's the heat exchanger, glad you're still with us. I'd buy a Goodman or a Lennox. Get a 90+ percent eff. unit. No need to buy an new A coil. If that's the case, $900-1200 for the furnace, $600-$900 for installation, probably. The installer will have to recover the freon in the A coil, and re-fill the system, as you probably have central air.

Our air conditioner konked out the first day of the first string of hot summer days. That was a lot of fun! The compressor unit was built in the late 80's!

I've fixed the furnace (92 vintage- should get a new one) three times: motor, hi limit switch, and ignitor, spending $180 over 6 years.

This is the last year they make air conditioners with less than 13 SEER. You might save a little money, if you need a new unit.
Wow, thanks for the information. I can tell you know what you're talking about. They are telling me the old one was 25 years old so I guess it was due to take a dump.

RedandGold
11-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Our Carrier unit went out a couple of years ago, and we replaced it with a Lennox Elite. In terms of quality vs. price, it was the best value that we could find.

It's quiet, efficient, and we couldn't be happier.

Bwana
11-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the tips. I will be having "something" installed within the next 24 hours. I always try to stick with something mid-range. Not the low ball unit, but not the top of the line turbo charged model that comes with the dancing girls.

Mark M
11-15-2005, 11:55 AM
We paid about $1200 (including installation) for a York at our old house. Worked like a dream.

But now we have a heat pump in the new place, and it's cheaper than the old house (which was half the size). So far, I recommend one. I don't think they last as long, though.

I'd say go with the middle bid -- the high one is just trying to make $$, and the cheap one is cheap for a reason. Seems to work well for us.

Of course, I only play a HVAC guy on the Internet, so what the hell do I know?

MM
~~:shrug:

plbrdude
11-15-2005, 11:56 AM

he's purty much on the money. i'd recommend changing the whole kabang if your system is much over 15 yr old.nothin's much worse than savin a buck now and then havin' it bite ya a couple yr down the road.
goodmans are purty fair, not a lennox fan myself. i sell heil and think they are good. basically same thing as bryant. some "off brands" will be cheaper price wise and you get a quality unit.weatherking =ruud, rheem.luxaire=york. you may be a bit far north to consider a heat pump w/fossil fuel back-up but that may be a thought. electric co. might give you a killer rate, mine did.and the heat pump should do the trick to may'be 25 degree.

StcChief
11-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Lennox. Good product. Do a little comparison.

Blower motor on mine went out after little over 1yr.

Out of warantee..said it had to be defect/no questions asked. fixed free.

Was impressed didn't even need to push the issue.

Mark M
11-15-2005, 11:58 AM
but not the top of the line turbo charged model that comes with the dancing girls.

Dude ... where the hell are you getting your furnace?

And what's their phone number?

MM
~~:spock:

Dartgod
11-15-2005, 12:16 PM
Yep, I found this out from a good friend of mine. Our A/C unit was getting a little long in the tooth so we replaced it and the furnace for around $1500. Rheem unit, I believe. From what he was telling me, the A/C units next year will be nearly double in price. It's nice to have a friend in the business.

Iowanian
11-15-2005, 12:25 PM
I bought a house and moved in June.

The furnace and CA are vinage....1968.

Bob Dole
11-15-2005, 12:41 PM
I bought a house and moved in June.

The furnace and CA are vinage....1968.

Bob Dole's wall furnace is a little older than that and works just fine.

BIG_DADDY
11-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the tips. I will be having "something" installed within the next 24 hours. I always try to stick with something mid-range. Not the low ball unit, but not the top of the line turbo charged model that comes with the dancing girls.

Oh come now if it actually came with dancing girls you would get it.

Dartgod
11-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Oh come now if it actually came with dancing girls you would get it.
Except for the fact that they were really Chiefs cheerleaders.

mlyonsd
11-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Stay away from a Janitrol. If mine didn't have a 25 year warranty on parts I would have replaced it by now cause I've had to have it fixed a couple of times in 9 years.

Nelson Muntz
11-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Off topic but I thought of Bwana yesterday as I was raking the leaves in my yard. I need a good laugh maybe I'll have to find that old thread. Good times.

tommykat
11-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Stay warm and make a baby ;) Actually, MM is correct as I had that done 2 years ago.

JOhn
11-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Thank god for wood stoves. :thumb:

Fired them both up yesterday, and nice and toasty in here. Furnace hasn't kicked on since I fired them up, and it's a nice 78 in the house. :D

Logical
11-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Thank god for wood stoves. :thumb:

Fired them both up yesterday, and nice and toasty in here. Furnace hasn't kicked on since I fired them up, and it's a nice 78 in the hose. :DWhatcha doing in the hose JOhn and how are you getting Brandy and the younguns in there with you?ROFL

JOhn
11-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Whatcha doing in the hose JOhn and how are you getting Brandy and the younguns in there with you?ROFL
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: