PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV Tivo Question

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
11-16-2005, 10:18 PM
I have a DirecTv HD Tivo reciever that I would like to be able to transfer some saved programs to my computer in order to burn them onto DVDs. I have heard about this Tivo to go program but my understanding is that it is not available on the DirecTv Tivos. So, in order to accomplish what I want to do I just need to install a video capture card, are there any available that will accept HD recordings, and what brands/models would you recommend.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Black Jack Savage
11-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Check Newegg and see what they have. I would imagine if they have a card with HD capture capability that it will run you from 400-600 bones.

To answer your first question, which you already did yourself, no you can't use the Tivo Server software on the Direc TV boxes.

ChiefsLV
11-20-2005, 10:41 AM
You can also hack your TIVO, depending on how ambitious you are. This way you can pull the files directly off the TIVO hard drive.

See link:

http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_os4hackrid.php

Black Jack Savage
11-20-2005, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't recommend hacking a Direc Tivo box. If you want to hack a standalone, it is much easier and there are easier solutions should something else go awry.