PDA

View Full Version : DVD recorder problem

Gary
11-19-2005, 10:14 AM
I have a Panasonic DMR-E80H that I got as a gift 2 years ago. I didn't try any recording to DVDs when I got it, but I have recently tried to record to DVD from the harddrive(unfortunately my warranty is out now). My problem is that it won't recognize ANY discs that I buy. I have tried a few different brands including Panasonic & it always says "incompatible disc". Have any of you guys ever had this kind of problem with a dvd recorder?

P.S. I did make sure I was using the correct type of discs(DVD-R).

Black Jack Savage
11-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Have you tried to read any DVD-R discs that were already burned? If it won't read those, then you can begin to narrow the problem down.

I would recommend upgrading the firmware on it and see if that helps (although it is by no means a certainty).

Here's a link to a thread about upgrading Panasaonic DVD-Recorders

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=5646109

Fishpicker
11-19-2005, 11:35 AM
clean it out with an air compressor. sometimes little metal shavings and such get stuck in the drive and prevent it from writing correctly.

Black Jack Savage
11-19-2005, 11:42 AM
That would be a reading problem too though. If he can read other discs, then it's probably not a problem with the laser, but rather a software problem

AeroSquid
11-19-2005, 01:53 PM
clean it out with an air compressor. sometimes little metal shavings and such get stuck in the drive and prevent it from writing correctly.

be careful doing that lol. air compressors can spew out water vapor, oil and foreign particles... all bad things for delicate electronic equipment.