PDA

View Full Version : Trans Siberian Orchestra

foxman
11-23-2005, 03:17 PM
Anyone familier?

I can not overstate how fantastic Saturday's nights show was. I have seen my share of concerts, mostly rock and I can say that these guys put on as good a show if not better than just about anyone. The production of people it takes to pull off one of these showes is pretty amazing, I counted 23 people on stage singing or playing music at one time. They played most of their more popular stuff, some stuff from a new cd to be released, some not as popular stuff from their Beathovens Last Night cd and even did a cover of Led Zepplins Rockin Roll. All I could think about was whether or not all these older people knew they were coming to a real live rock concert? The light show was awsome and included snow that sparkled when the laser's hit the invidual flakes. I was thouroughly impressed and stunned. The group played a narrated set that was more or less what you get on their DVD and I was prepared to call it a night. One of the guitarist then came out with a Carolina Panthers Jersey (I live in North Carolina) on and introduced the band and thats when he informed us that they were going to be playing for a lot longer and it would include music that they had never done in previous tours, (I assume from their upcoming cd). Thier upcoming cd is not a Christmas cd and it is called Castle... something, I forget now. I suspect it will be out after Christmas so as to not confuse the buyer.

If you get a chance to witness this group do yourself a favor and get tickets. Our stadium was not full so tickets were still availabel, which is a shame considering how good these guys are.

Everyone pretty much stayed in their seats, but most everyone was rocking their heads back and forth with the beat....now picture a group of people ranging from 7 years old to 65+ all nodding their heads back and forth to music ranging from Led Zepplin to Beethoven...

Yeah it was pretty cool.

Count Alex's Losses
11-23-2005, 03:18 PM
They rock. They are coming to Houston!

Phobia
11-23-2005, 03:19 PM
Yeah, they've been around for a while. Impressive skills to say the least.

Braincase
11-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Bought my tickets some time ago for the KC show, December 22. On the floor, section C, 9 rows back...last year they made it snow inside Memorial Hall...

CosmicPal
11-23-2005, 03:28 PM
So, when they play a concert in town, do all the lights on all the houses in the area go crazy?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-23-2005, 04:06 PM
TSO hasn't played around here in a while, but I do have my tickets to the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas concert in Baltimore. I caught them a couple of years ago. Fun concert and great music.

stevieray
11-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Bought my tickets some time ago for the KC show, December 22. On the floor, section C, 9 rows back...last year they made it snow inside Memorial Hall...

Last time I was at Memorial Hall was Styx's Grand Illusion tour.

if the wife bails, call me.

LocoChiefsFan
11-23-2005, 04:56 PM
My wife and I have tickets to see em next month at Kemper Arena. I'm looking forward to it.

JD10367
07-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Big-ass thread bump. I love TSO and get their newsletter, which just arrived in my e-mail inbox to say that this year's tour dates have been announced and go on sale in early September. I checked the tour dates and they'll be in my area in mid-November, but I noticed that you lucky bastards in Kansas City get them on December 23rd, the last show before they take a three-day Christmas break. That would be friggin' awesome, to see them right before Christmas. I've seen TSO for three years in a row now and, by far, they are the best show I've seen. For those who don't know, it started with some guys from Savatage, so it's basically "heavy metal Christmas" but it also has a lot of other stuff going on (orchestral, great singing, violinist) and they have the most absolute kick-ass light/strobe/fire show to rival any production by KISS or anyone else. Bring earplugs, you'll need 'em!

Lzen
07-31-2009, 09:40 PM
Yes, TSO is awesome. Savatage was experimenting with epic songs with prog. styling way back even as much as 20 years ago. I guess it was natural for Oliva to move on to this kind of thing.

Lzen
07-31-2009, 09:41 PM
BTW, speaking of Savatage....they are great at concept albums. See Wake Of Magellan or Dead Winter Dead for examples.

chiefs1111
07-31-2009, 10:01 PM
BTW, speaking of Savatage....they are great at concept albums. See Wake Of Magellan or Dead Winter Dead for examples.

Both awesome albums. Zak Stevens is one of my favorite vocalists.

chiefs1111
07-31-2009, 10:02 PM
I also hope the new album comes out soon.

Lzen
07-31-2009, 10:43 PM
Both awesome albums. Zak Stevens is one of my favorite vocalists.

I love Stevens, but Oliva is a badass. :) But I believe he had problems with his voice and had to quit.

chiefs1111
07-31-2009, 11:39 PM
I love Stevens, but Oliva is a badass. :) But I believe he had problems with his voice and had to quit.

Yeah i like both of them quite a bit. My favorite Savatage album would be Gutter Ballet..

Braincase
08-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Concert dates have been announced for 2009. Looks like KC gets their fix on December 23rd. Perfect! Oops, just saw JD100367's post. I'll be in class the morning of the presale, but I'm guessing I'll have to make sure my students are hitting a lab right when the sale hits. I've hit 3rd rowm 1st row and 24th row the last three years. Here's hoping I return to the front row this year!

patteeu
08-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Concert dates have been announced for 2009. Looks like KC gets their fix on December 23rd. Perfect! Oops, just saw JD100367's post. I'll be in class the morning of the presale, but I'm guessing I'll have to make sure my students are hitting a lab right when the sale hits. I've hit 3rd rowm 1st row and 24th row the last three years. Here's hoping I return to the front row this year!

I didn't see JD100367's post. When does this presale take place?

Braincase
08-02-2009, 10:54 PM
I didn't see JD100367's post. When does this presale take place?

Splitting over two days depending on which shoo you're going to see.

patteeu
08-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Splitting over two days depending on which shoo you're going to see.

Uh, which two days?

listopencil
08-03-2009, 10:36 AM
You really should include a snippet of a show or something...

<object sap="object" width="425" height="344">

<embed sap="flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OekzJXYmGuk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Braincase
08-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Uh, which two days?

September 1st and September 2nd.

arrowheadnation
08-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I've been to a Christmas time show of theirs (that was freaking epic) but I have a question for those of you who have been to non-Christmas time concerts, do they still play Christmas music at those maybe in a lesser volume...or maybe not at all. BTW...for those wondering, seeing Wizards In Winter live is one of the coolest visual experiences anyone can ever experience. Like someone earlier said, the precision production is impeccable. I'd love to go to a non-Christmas show if there is a such thing.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1CCSeugClR8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1CCSeugClR8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Bob" Dobbs
08-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Sweet... Very Pink Floyd-esque.

JD10367
11-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Just got back from the show. Holy f**k. Everything from last year, and more. Even some "Night Castle" stuff. Over two and a half hours. Go. Just go.

Lzen
11-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Man, I really need to catch these guys next year. I bought Night Castle a few weeks ago and I love it. It is amazing. And a ton of songs, as well (27).

Rukdafaidas
11-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Would this show be a good show for kids to attend? I have 5 and 9 year old boys.

luv
11-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Just got back from the show. Holy f**k. Everything from last year, and more. Even some "Night Castle" stuff. Over two and a half hours. Go. Just go.

Color me jealous. I sooo want to see this show.

Reaper16
11-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Why do people only like metal during Christmas time? Its enjoyable all-year round, without the pretense of holiday cheer, I assure you.

RedNeckRaider
11-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Why do people only like metal during Christmas time? Its enjoyable all-year round, without the pretense of holiday cheer, I assure you.

Ok Reap you are recognized as of the Planets musical experts. What is your opinion of the Trans Siberian Orchestra?

Reaper16
11-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Ok Reap you are recognized as of the Planets musical experts. What is your opinion of the Trans Siberian Orchestra?
Pretty damn cool live music experience. Lots of hard rocking covers of Christmas and holiday songs, but they really shine when covering orchestral material. This is because the metal genre is influenced heavily by classical composition and theory.

RedNeckRaider
11-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Pretty damn cool live music experience. Lots of hard rocking covers of Christmas and holiday songs, but they really shine when covering orchestral material. This is because the metal genre is influenced heavily by classical composition and theory.

I have thought about checking them out and I guess if I want to keep up with you hip kids I will~

luv
11-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Ok Reap you are recognized as of the Planets musical experts.

Geez! First beer, then bbq. Now he's a music expert too?

Reaper16
11-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Geez! First beer, then bbq. Now he's a music expert too?
Hell, that was the first thing I was known for on this board. htismaqe used to get ticked off at all of the true things I would say about what bands were and weren't metal.

Jenson71
11-19-2009, 08:20 PM
I've been to a Christmas time show of theirs (that was freaking epic) but I have a question for those of you who have been to non-Christmas time concerts, do they still play Christmas music at those maybe in a lesser volume...or maybe not at all. BTW...for those wondering, seeing Wizards In Winter live is one of the coolest visual experiences anyone can ever experience. Like someone earlier said, the precision production is impeccable. I'd love to go to a non-Christmas show if there is a such thing.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1CCSeugClR8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1CCSeugClR8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Good lord! That's insane. All I can think about is how pissed off Al Gore would be if he saw this.

Reaper16
11-19-2009, 08:28 PM
I have thought about checking them out and I guess if I want to keep up with you hip kids I will~
Know of the old metal band Savatage? TSO used to be Savatage.

RedNeckRaider
11-19-2009, 08:53 PM

Uh...yeah....well no I don't...showing my unhipness~

Reaper16
11-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Uh...yeah....well no I don't...showing my unhipness~
That's not showing any unhipness. Metal has never been hip.

Lzen
11-19-2009, 09:05 PM

Yep. I have several Savatage albums. They use a couple songs from their past albums in this new album. This new album, btw, is not a Christmas album.

And of course as I've said on here in the past, Christmas Eve in Sarajevo was not originally on TSO albums. It was originally on Dead Winter Dead by Savatage (1995). I used to listen to that album a lot. It is still a great album to this day.

Lzen
11-19-2009, 09:11 PM
I was just listening to Savatage's Handful Of Rain today. I always loved the way the did the delay vocal stacking on chance. Then I realize that the stuff like Chance as well as some other songs were the beginnings of TSO.

Oh, and this is when I first knew of TSO/Savatage. :D
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tjpEfL18LpI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tjpEfL18LpI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lzen
11-19-2009, 09:12 PM
I absolutely love John Oliva on vocals. Too bad his voice health couldn't keep up.

Braincase
11-20-2009, 06:26 PM

December 23rd Matinee, Sprint Center. 5th Row.

JD10367
11-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Would this show be a good show for kids to attend? I have 5 and 9 year old boys.

Hmm.

Probably not.

First off, it's ridiculously loud.

Second, it's two and a half hours long. My ass went numb. Not sure a 5 and a 9 y.o. would sit still for that long.

JD10367
11-20-2009, 06:33 PM

Yeah, I have to pick up that Beethoven album.

As usual, they threw in some of Ludwig, along with Bach (Toccata and Fugue), Orff as usual (their concert version of "Carmina Burana" is the most evil-sounding and looking thing on earth, LOL), and some other stuff that made me go, "Hmm, I recognize that."

They will be touring in the spring to support "Night Castle". It will be, I believe, their first non-Christmas tour, so it should be nothing but classically-influenced stuff. But I'm sure, even if it's in July, they'll throw "Wizards In Winter" in there...

JD10367
11-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Good lord! That's insane. All I can think about is how pissed off Al Gore would be if he saw this.

That's NOTHING. I think that's an old tour. Looks like nothing but flashing strobes and lights. Now they include colored flame pots, a shitload of laser beams, and a light rig that would make Iron Maiden cry in jealousy. And now they've added some video screen stuff (not a giant annoying one, but those small ones that look like they're made up of tiny colored lightbulbs, so it works in nicely with the lights and lasers).

JD10367
11-20-2009, 06:37 PM
December 23rd Matinee, Sprint Center. 5th Row.

Bring earplugs. And I hope you're not epileptic! :D

Braincase
11-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Bring earplugs. And I hope you're not epileptic! :D

6th straight year. Last year was worst seatI've had, Row 24. Two years ago, 1st row, right in front of the bass speakers. Al Pitrelli told me I had great kids. I'll never forget that.