PDA

View Full Version : James is cool, Kirk is cool, and...

Braincase
11-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Lars is still an asshole.

unlurking
11-25-2005, 09:28 PM
yep, love those napster cartoons from a few years back

keg in kc
11-25-2005, 09:28 PM
If you'd said "Tiberius" I might have understood.

unlurking
11-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Got an inkling to find the cartoon.
Here it is if anyone wants to reminisce.

http://www.campchaos.com/show.php?iID=232

$100 Metallica Cock Ring (what a deal!)

sedated
11-25-2005, 09:29 PM
F*ck those sellouts

Braincase
11-25-2005, 09:30 PM
If you'd said "Tiberius" I might have understood.

Nice. They should add your name to a monument in Riverside, Iowa.

Halfcan
11-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Lars is still a shitty drummer too. But a very rich asshole shitty drummer.

BCD
11-25-2005, 09:34 PM
WTF ever happend to these guys? ST. Anger, or whatever it was called totally sucked ass!

sedated
11-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Everything since and justice for all sucked ass.

and lars is a shitty drummer and a dickweed

unlurking
11-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Here's my two other favorites from the Metallica / Napster series.

http://www.campchaos.com/show.php?iID=230

http://www.campchaos.com/show.php?iID=237

NAPSTER, NAPSTER!
What you gonna do if we come for you?!

chefsos
11-25-2005, 10:13 PM
I really don't know what they're doing now, but I happened to see them on the JANE F*CKING PAULEY show several weeks ago, and figured it was all over.

sedated
11-25-2005, 10:16 PM
They were done with Load.

Seriously, the cover should have been a pile of elephant sh!t.

It's been a spiral downward ever since - a series of rock bottoms.

4th and Long
11-25-2005, 10:16 PM
WTF ever happend to these guys? ST. Anger, or whatever it was called totally sucked ass!
I believe you just answered your own question.

Halfcan
11-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Yep Metalicock can't compare to Rush.

sedated
11-25-2005, 11:10 PM
I will chose a path that's clear...

KCChiefsMan
11-25-2005, 11:12 PM
I never really liked them

ChiefFripp
11-26-2005, 07:06 AM
James needs to start mainlining Jack Daniels again. Kirk seriously needs to find some new bandmates.

unlurking
11-26-2005, 08:42 AM
James needs to start mainlining Jack Daniels again. Kirk seriously needs to find some new bandmates.
Actually, I blame Kirk for alot of the St. Anger shit. They let him start writing for that crappy album.

If you check their good albums (up to Justice), you'll notice that Burton was in the credits for almost every song. Seems like after that, they ran out of his stuff. If you ask me, they rode Burton's creativity well after he died, and didn't have anything left.

Cliff Burton was/is Metallica. May he RIP, though he's probably rolling over in his grave with what Metallica has become.

Ultra Peanut
11-26-2005, 08:45 AM
http://kirksong2.ytmnd.com/

Brock
11-26-2005, 08:54 AM
Actually, I blame Kirk for alot of the St. Anger shit. They let him start writing for that crappy album.

Ehh - it looked to me like Kirk was being told what to play, when to play, and how to play it. He was seriously bummed about having no solos to play. I agree that Cliff Burton was the real talent behind the band, though. James Hetfield can't write songs.

Garcia Bronco
11-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Most of you guys don't know shit about Metallica...it's kinda funny when you guys are talking about who wrote how much..of whatever album/song. Just enjoy the old shit and move on. There is no law that says they have to write great music forever.

Bob Dole
11-26-2005, 09:40 AM
There is no law that says they have to write great music forever.

Actually, there is.

unlurking
11-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Most of you guys don't know shit about Metallica...it's kinda funny when you guys are talking about who wrote how much..of whatever album/song...

Hey dumbass, ever read their credits?!

They put author's names next to EACH song all the way up through the black album. Burton is credited with 90% + on each album, except the black where he was around 50%.

Pre-release interviews with the band for Load had Jason and Kirk very happy because they felt like they had a lot more creative input then ever before.

What's funny is some dumbass talking smack, WITH NO INPUT to the discussion whatever. Thanks D*****.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-26-2005, 11:24 AM
My favorite song of theirs is One.

Bowser
11-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Did Jason Newstead and his band fade away before they even got started? I don't even remember the name of the group.

unlurking
11-26-2005, 12:05 PM
flotsam and jetsam

don't know if they're still around or not

Over-Head
12-26-2005, 03:23 AM
Lars is still a shitty drummer too. But a very rich asshole shitty drummer.
I still remember a drum student of mine saying "Man I want to play just like Larz some day"
So after doing everytihng in his power to make that dream come true, (read that skipping drum lessons with me, NOT doing his required reading, forgetting to practice his rudiments etc) he now play's JUST LIKE LARs,
too bad his little brother wanted to actually learn "how to play" and is now 3 years later out headlining in club bands while older "Lars wana be " is pizzed beyond belief that he can't even find a garage band who will let him jam. :D

IMO Lars sucks, both as a musician, and a human.

Reaper16
12-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Ehh - it looked to me like Kirk was being told what to play, when to play, and how to play it. He was seriously bummed about having no solos to play. I agree that Cliff Burton was the real talent behind the band, though. James Hetfield can't write songs.

Yeah, if you see "Some Kind of Monster," it really looks as if Kirk is unhappy with the musical direction.
Also, the decision that Lars made not to include any guitar solos on St. Anger was incredibly stupid on two levels. In the film, he says having solos would quote "date" the album. In an ironic twist, St. Anger will always be remembered as the album influecned by the late 90's modern hard rock that never had solos. Two, one of the band's greatest assest is Kirk's ability to come up with solo parts that completely work within the confines of the song. Really, how many Metallica solos can you guys verbalize from memory right now? Easily dozens and dozens for me. Not taking advantage of that strength is bad decision making.

Lzen
12-29-2005, 11:32 AM
flotsam and jetsam

don't know if they're still around or not

Wasn't that the band Newstead was in before he joined Metallica? I think Bowser was asking about Newstead's band after Metallica.

chagrin
12-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Most of you guys don't know shit about Metallica...it's kinda funny when you guys are talking about who wrote how much..of whatever album/song.

Little harsh don't you think?

Actually seems like alot of these comments are spot on correct!

Especially about the song writing. And it's true, that other post about them writing sucking after Justice for all. They made their contract and first few million fans on Mustaine's songs, their all a bunch of dick bags anyway.

I'm glad they have TRIED to evolve but I just have to agree with the others on this.

Garcia, this is just like football, we're fans and we're going to have strong opinions, especially if we've been with them since "the beginning".
I assume you are under 30? I don't mean that you don't have credibility (I mean, I'm not vlad and meme and think you have to be around a certain amount of time before you can talk but it makes sense to this regard) What we say about the old stuff, that's what WE grew up on. I was listening to Metallica, Kill 'em All (basically a Dave Mustain album) since 1983...

Some bands have changed for the better, some don't make it. They became popular by writing "formula" tunes. That shit "where do I take this pain of mine..." if you can dance to it like a lounge lizard, it sucks!

Just a small amount of my full opinion on this.

Man, I was in radio for 11 years, beginning in 1986 and saw these bands come and go, saw bands like them transition into some twisted hybrid of what they were before a band member left, or maybe they needed to sell more records, etc.

Anyway, whew! This is a pretty cool forum, I could spend all day here.

chagrin
12-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Wasn't that the band Newstead was in before he joined Metallica? I think Bowser was asking about Newstead's band after Metallica.

Flotsam and Jetsam
I don' t know if they still exist, but after Jason left - they put out a pretty good record, called "Quatro" (1992 or so) then I didn't hear anything for a while

Lzen
12-29-2005, 01:42 PM
Little harsh don't you think?

Actually seems like alot of these comments are spot on correct!

Especially about the song writing. And it's true, that other post about them writing sucking after Justice for all. They made their contract and first few million fans on Mustaine's songs, their all a bunch of dick bags anyway.

I'm glad they have TRIED to evolve but I just have to agree with the others on this.

Garcia, this is just like football, we're fans and we're going to have strong opinions, especially if we've been with them since "the beginning".
I assume you are under 30? I don't mean that you don't have credibility (I mean, I'm not vlad and meme and think you have to be around a certain amount of time before you can talk but it makes sense to this regard) What we say about the old stuff, that's what WE grew up on. I was listening to Metallica, Kill 'em All (basically a Dave Mustain album) since 1983...

Some bands have changed for the better, some don't make it. They became popular by writing "formula" tunes. That shit "where do I take this pain of mine..." if you can dance to it like a lounge lizard, it sucks!

Just a small amount of my full opinion on this.

Man, I was in radio for 11 years, beginning in 1986 and saw these bands come and go, saw bands like them transition into some twisted hybrid of what they were before a band member left, or maybe they needed to sell more records, etc.

Anyway, whew! This is a pretty cool forum, I could spend all day here.

Metallica's new name - Selloutica

wilas101
01-02-2006, 03:13 PM
It's too bad I couldn't sell out like they did. :(

I guess real musicians would stay poor and write music they're "real fans" could be proud of.

Lzen
01-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Yeah except that Metallica was nowhere close to being poor. They were making some good $$$ before they sold out. Now they're just a joke.

ChiefFripp
01-07-2006, 07:29 AM
Metallica-METAL=lica

Coincidence? I think not!