PDA

View Full Version : Walk the Line

Deberg_1990
11-25-2005, 11:09 PM
Just saw this flick tonight. Awesume Movie. Go check it out.

Great music, great performances...

Halfcan
11-25-2005, 11:30 PM
It looks pretty good-do you get to see Reese's tits?

Deberg_1990
11-25-2005, 11:32 PM

Uhh..no....

sedated
11-25-2005, 11:35 PM
What about Phoenix's tits?

Halfcan
11-25-2005, 11:39 PM
I heard if you play that movie backwards he get his wife back, his dog back, and his pick up-oh I am thinking of Country music.

Demonpenz
11-25-2005, 11:41 PM
i saw it i didn't really like it that much. I came home and watched donnie darko

Halfcan
11-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Donnie Darko-that freakin movie gave me a head ache. Never did figure out that jumbled pile of shit. It was like a very bad Butterfly effect.

Demonpenz
11-25-2005, 11:46 PM
i was just being sarcastic

Deberg_1990
11-25-2005, 11:49 PM
i saw it i didn't really like it that much. I came home and watched donnie darko

Oh well, to each his own..but i thought it was a hell of a movie. Ask Frazod what he thinks of Donnie Darko.

sedated
11-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Donnie Darko-that freakin movie gave me a head ache. Never did figure out that jumbled pile of shit. It was like a very bad Butterfly effect.

Didn't take enough mushrooms.

Bad Buttefly Effect? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Halfcan
11-26-2005, 12:12 AM
lol, B E was a very pitiful movie too.

luv
11-26-2005, 12:39 AM
I have Donnie Darko sitting on my coffee table waiting to be watched along with United States of Leland and Crash.

Halfcan
11-26-2005, 12:42 AM
Umm okay I would pick crash.

mcan
11-26-2005, 04:17 AM
"Walk The Line" is a very good flick. It's a better movie than "Ray" although I have to admit that "Ray"'s music is better, so most people might think that "Ray" is more entertaining. Reese totally steels the show. This is clearly her best work. Inspired, is probably the best word to use. Her performance is both grounded, and interesting, while still being somewhat of a tribute to the recently late June Carter. As for Pheonix, his performance is raw. I have to say that he's only ever really impressed me in the small part that he played in "Hotel Rwanda." Aside from that bright spot, I've not been a fan of his. I thought he was especially bad in "Gladiator." However, here he seems to find his element. It was more than just an impression. (Like Jaime Fox's Ray Charles was). In fact, the "impression" wasn't even all that great. What I found fascinating about his performance was how driven he was to land that girl. Fairly simple thing, but it happens to work very well on screen.

All in all, this movie is a fairly twisted love story. Yeah, it happens to be Cash's and Carter's story... But this isnt' a BIO-PIC in the traditional sense, and that makes it a better film than the "Beautiful Mind"s and "Ray"s.

Bob Dole
11-26-2005, 08:32 AM
So what did you guys think of the movies portrayal of Texarkana?

Fire Me Boy!
11-26-2005, 08:46 AM
My wife and I are going to see this tonight... we're pretty excited.

|Zach|
11-26-2005, 09:06 AM
I liked it a lot.

shakesthecat
11-26-2005, 09:23 AM
Saw it with the family Thurs night and we all agreed it was a great movie.

Deberg_1990
11-26-2005, 09:59 AM
I wasnt exactly a Cash fan before this movie, but I can say i really enjoyed the music. In fact i came home last night and downloaded a few songs. IM gonna have to go buy some of his CD's now.

CosmicPal
11-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Saw it with the family yesterday- good movie. Reese Witherspoon is an absolute delight and definately worth the price of admission alone. The music was very good as expected.

The thing I didn't like about the film was the editing. It jumped too much and seemed to be missing avenues. One moment he's lying in the mud from walking for miles and the very next moment he's moving into an exclusive lakeside home. For the sake of those who haven't seen the movie, I'll refrain from making any more examples.

Reaper16
11-26-2005, 10:33 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Reese Witherspoon, who I've never liked in any role before, is stellar. Joaquin gives a great performance, and comes close to replicating Cash's signature voice. Witherspoon, for that matter, channels June Cater's voice as well. The movie is more of a love story than anything else, so if your looking for the Cash that wrote the line "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die" from "Folsom Prison Blues," (like I was) you won't find much of him.

grandllama
11-26-2005, 10:49 AM

Oh for god's sake...

here

Reese's Tits NSFW NSFW NSFW (http://www.robbscelebs.co.uk/noops332/reese_witherspoon0012.jpg)

Now that you've seen them, go see the movie.

Johnny was an American Treasure and can't really be pigenholed as country music... (at least not in the sense of today's disposable country stars and fake 'outlaws')

I've always loved and respected Mr. Cash's music, but my alltime favorite of his was his remake of a Nine Inch Nails song.

Reaper16
11-26-2005, 11:07 AM
I've always loved and respected Mr. Cash's music, but my alltime favorite of his was his remake of a Nine Inch Nails song.
Yeah, his cover of "Hurt" was phenominal. It just fit Johnny's life so well, especially when coupled with probably the best music video I've ever seen. Cash has some awesome covers from his "American Recordings" series with Rick Rubin. His cover of Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage" is bad-ass, as well.

Adept Havelock
11-26-2005, 11:23 AM
Great movie, and great performances all around.

Anyone else notice that Waylon Jennings son Shooter looks more like his clone than his kid?

Reaper16
11-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Great movie, and great performances all around.

Anyone else notice that Waylon Jennings son Shooter looks more like his clone than his kid?
I noticed that too, especially when he was clean shaven. My mother saw it and was like "Whoa, is that Waylon? That lookis just like him!" Shooter's a good guy, met him twice. He'd probably be be a fun dude to drink with.

redbrian
11-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Saw Ms. Reese on Charlie Rose the other night, she is a very impresive young lady, and I hope she does more work like this movie.

Cash like Willie does not have a classical voice, but was great at bringing something to the song.

Unlike todays so called C&W singers who are pop stars at best.

jynni
11-26-2005, 02:17 PM
We saw it on Thanksgiving and all agreed that it was wonderful.

Reese was excellent and Phoenix also did a great job.

Minor spoiler ahead...
One moment he's lying in the mud from walking for miles and the very next moment he's moving into an exclusive lakeside home.
I agree it did jump in some places but the above wasn't one of those parts. He was walking through the forest and passed out in the mud in front of the lakeside house. The sound of construction was what woke him up.

Reaper16
11-26-2005, 02:40 PM

Minor spoiler ahead...

I agree it did jump in some places but the above wasn't one of those parts. He was walking through the forest and passed out in the mud in front of the lakeside house. The sound of construction was what woke him up.
I agree. That seemed pretty plausible to me.

mcan
11-27-2005, 12:17 AM

Minor spoiler ahead...

For me, it wasn't that the movie was "confusing" about what was actually happening. It was more that we (the audience) is under the impression that he is penniless and has squandered everything in that scene because the scene before it shows him trying to cash a check to get his car out of hauk. Then, he wakes up from his stupor and decides to buy the house... I guess we're supposed to assume that he just didn't have access to his money, or something... Either way, the way it's written and edited in that sequence makes little sense, other than to move the emotional journey forward. (IE: down on his luck --> buys house --> sets the stage for father's "nothing" speech --> Gets himself cleaned up).

Part of me wants to praise the movie, however, for not getting too caught up on minor details. Just give us the flashbulb memories of his life, and focus primarily on June and him. On the other hand, those little things can sometimes pull an audience out of the movie for a moment.

DawsonsCrack
11-27-2005, 01:05 AM
I thought it was worth my $9.25. Decent night of entertainment. I liked the Foghorn Leghorn line...but I thought Foghorn didn't come along until the 50's. As youngsters, the Cash kids were talking about him, early in the flick.

The similarities to "Ray" are there....so I'd say the over/under is 15 years before Hollywood makes an "Ozzy" bio-pic.

ZootedGranny
11-27-2005, 01:15 AM
I'm very interested in seeing this, but I've heard from a couple of other people that the movie is extremely conventional, and isn't much more than scene after scene of every biopic standard.

Still, Cash is more hip-hop than 99% of these rappers out here today, so I have to catch it.

Boozer
11-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Definitely the "White Ray," with music that isn't as good. Still an entertaining movie.