PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen Downfall?

Dunit35
11-26-2005, 02:06 AM
This movie came out this past February and I just now saw it on our university channel a couple of weeks ago. Ive got to say its one of the best movies I have ever seen. Definately top 10. I was shocked at how well done it was. Of course Im a history major and I love watching true story movies like that. Anybody else seen it?

Miles
11-26-2005, 02:25 AM
I caught it on DVD a few months ago and agree its an exceptional movie. I thought the subject matter would have been pretty akward but they pulled it off very well.

I think it was probably the best movie of last year but didn't get a lot of attention because its in German.

Dunit35
11-26-2005, 02:31 AM
Yea, but Im glad they didnt screw it up and make the Germans speak English. Im a fast reader so it wasnt too hard. I didnt know Hitler had Parkinsons? His hand was shaking a lot.

mcan
11-26-2005, 04:25 AM
I really loved that movie. Saw it in the theatre last year on a whim, and walked away with a whole new perspective. Whomever it was that played Hitler in that film was spectacular. It was a picture perfect example of how positive objectives are the key to making a brilliant acting performance. The movie kept me locked onto every character, and I was especially stunned at the performance of the female lead (the secretary girl). It would have been too easy to just play her as naive and innocent, but there was that layer of self rightousness and pride in her that kept her very real. You really got a sense for how "good" people could get sucked into the power trap. It was just a spectacular film, and I'm glad somebody brought it up, because I forgot about it. I need to go buy this movie...

Dunit35
11-26-2005, 02:57 PM
My mother has looked at Wal-Mart, and other various movie stores in her town and couldnt find it anywhere...Theres always Ebay..but she doesnt have the net.. Happy Bday too bro..

Miles
11-26-2005, 03:00 PM
My mother has looked at Wal-Mart, and other various movie stores in her town and couldnt find it anywhere...Theres always Ebay..but she doesnt have the net..

Blockbuster should definitly have it for rent and they may even have some previously viewed ones laying around.

Has she tried best buy? If they dont have it in stock they can get a copy.

foxman
11-26-2005, 03:02 PM
I bought this based on several people I chat with regularly that swear it is maybe the best WW2 movie to date with a totaly new perspective. I havent had a chance to watch it yet since my wife isnt going to sit there and watch it with me, but I look forward to seeing it.

Dunit35
11-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Blockbuster should definitly have it for rent and they may even have some previously viewed ones laying around.

Has she tried best buy? If they dont have it in stock they can get a copy.

She lives in Alva, OK. Small town with Wal-Mart a couple movie stores and thats it..She lives an hour from Enid and is looking around there.

Miles
11-26-2005, 03:09 PM
She lives in Alva, OK. Small town with Wal-Mart a couple movie stores and thats it..She lives an hour from Enid and is looking around there.

Ah probably not much chance of finding it then. Its not really easy to find foreign films in stores in the first place, much less a small town.

Barns and Noble usually has a good selection of foreign titles but charge full retail.

The only way may be just to order it for her on the net.

Dunit35
11-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Ah probably not much chance of finding it then. Its not really easy to find foreign films in stores in the first place, much less a small town.

Barns and Noble usually has a good selection of foreign titles but charge full retail.

The only way may be just to order it for her on the net.

I think she said she asked one of the stores if you could order it and they said they would ask if their distributor had it. I found a used copy at Hastings in Enid... Damn small towns..

HolmeZz
11-26-2005, 06:35 PM
I thought this topic was about the Raiders.

keg in kc
11-26-2005, 06:37 PM
I've never heard of it. Sounds like I should give it a shot.

Pants
11-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Saw it. Liked it. It's very powerful and sometimes disturbing. Also, I don't think Hitler had Parkinsons, I think the twitch was from all the speed he was taking. Not 100% sure though.

BTW, the guy's name is Bruno Ganz, and yeah, he was excellent.

If you liked Downfall, check out The Experiment (Das Experiment), it's by the same director and is also very psychologically intense. I don't think it was as good as Downfall, but still a very good movie. The lead role in that movie is played by the guy who played Manni in Run Lola Run. If you haven't seen those movies, go rent them and watch them, you won't regret it.

Dunit35
01-22-2006, 02:44 AM
I got Downfall for x-mas. Ive seen it three times now. I have to take ten hours of a foreign language for my major. So I'm going to take German. My goal is to be able to understand everything they are saying without reading the text. If I ever get that far in German, itll take forever.

Miles
01-22-2006, 02:50 AM
I got Downfall for x-mas. Ive seen it three times now. I have to take ten hours of a foreign language for my major. So I'm going to take German. My goal is to be able to understand everything they are saying without reading the text. If I ever get that far in German, itll take forever.

I really need to get around to watching it again. I still think it was probably the best film of 2004

Braincase
01-22-2006, 08:24 AM
I don't recall hearing Hitler had Parkinson's. I thought alot of his mental issues towards the end were the result of syphillis. (Yes, I am serious).

I need to see the movie. I've always been a WWII buff, and particularly, WWII in Film. Took classes at two different schools on the subject (If Jim Erickson is still teaching down at WSU, I'd HIGHLY recommend any of his film courses. Fabulous knowledge of the art!).