PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Marcus Spears goes out of bounds

tk13
11-26-2005, 01:33 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13259604.htm

Spears out of bounds on this one
JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star

I’m telling this story because I like Marcus Spears, the former Chiefs offensive lineman. Sometimes people need a friend to hold the mirror. I’ll hold the mirror today.

Wednesday afternoon, as I was driving to Manhattan, Kan., to watch the Kansas State Wildcats play New Mexico in basketball, Marcus Spears called my old radio producer Scott Cruce and left a frantic message:

“Scott, have Jason call me. This is the most racist (expletive) I’ve ever seen,” Spears screamed into Scott’s voice mail. “The police is up here ….”

Scott was driving me and another friend to the game. Scott played Marcus’ voice mail as we motored across Interstate 70. I immediately called Marcus’ cell phone. He didn’t answer. Two hours later, Marcus returned my call. I couldn’t talk. The Wildcats were down double digits, Jim Wooldridge’s foolish and misguided critics were celebrating, and I wasn’t in the proper frame of mind to listen to Marcus’ rantings.

“Call me back in a couple of hours; we’ll be driving back from the game,” I told Spears.

Well, on the drive back, I fell asleep, and when I woke up I was holding a Grey Goose and tonic, loud dance music was blaring and I was slouched in the champagne room of a private nightclub. Just as I was angrily demanding an explanation for how we wound up here, Spears called again. It was close to 1 a.m.

“Where you at, man?” Spears asked. “I gotta tell you this story. This is some serious racial (expletive). You need to come out here so I can tell you this story. They called me a (N-word), you a (N-word) and every black man in Kansas City a (N-word). We going out there Friday morning and raising hell. Me, you and all the television stations.”

“Dude,” I said, “let me holler at you in the morning. There’s nothing I can do right now. I’m a little tied up.”

Well, at 10 Thanksgiving morning, Marcus called me again.

“Jason, I flew here (Wednesday) morning to buy a truck,” explained Spears, whose primary residence is now in Houston. “I bought a one-way ticket, didn’t even pack no clothes. I got on jeans, a T-shirt and flip-flops. But I ain’t leaving here. They called me a (N-word), you a (N-word) and every black man in Kansas City a (N-word). I ain’t gonna let ’em get away with it.”

So I asked Marcus what happened, who called him awful names.

“The truck company,” he said. “They wouldn’t finance my truck because they said I needed to tell them how I was going to use it commercially. You know what that’s about. Man, I just retired from the NFL three days ago. I got millions. And they said I can’t buy no truck unless I can tell them how I was going to use it. You know what that’s about.”

Spears kept me on the phone for an additional five or 10 minutes. He kept repeating how this particular company insulted black men all across the country by asking him what sounded like standard credit-application questions. Even though the company didn’t really ever use the N-word, that’s how Spears took it.

He insisted that I go out to the truck company with him on Friday and demand justice. With Spears ranting, raving and cussing, I eventually hung up my phone and turned it off.

Friday morning — after a discussion with someone very familiar with Spears’ demanding and self-important off-field behavior as a Chief — I called the trucking company that had the audacity to ask Spears standard credit-application questions. I talked with the general manager and the marketing manager.

Their stories were consistent with the story Spears told me. There is no dispute about what happened.

Spears wanted to buy a $110,000 CXT pickup truck. It’s known as the world’s largest production pickup truck. It stands 9 feet tall and has a 21-foot-long flat bed.

“It’s a big toy,” the general manager told me. “It’s really just a conversation piece. People like Brett Favre, Michael Vick and Ashton Kutcher own them.”

Spears, who last played for the Texans in 2004, has been eyeing a CXT all fall. He befriended the people at this particular truck company, discussed working as a salesman for the company and even invited one of the company’s higher-ups to a Chiefs game.

“He was a very nice gentleman the first time I met him,” the marketing manager told me. “He was totally different on Wednesday. I don’t know what was happening.”

On Wednesday, Spears showed up unannounced and told the GM he wanted to buy the truck. The general manager turned Spears over to his business manager. Spears said he wanted to finance the truck. When the business manager informed Spears that the truck would have to be used commercially for the finance company to approve the loan, Spears started screaming racism.

“Our company normally deals with corporations or businesses. Our trucks, except for this new toy, are for commercial use,” the general manager explained. “We use International Finance Group, and they typically don’t finance individuals. They finance corporations or commercial users. We explained this to Marcus. I even handed him a credit application, but he slapped it out of my hand.”

Spears then began to threaten a lawsuit and said he would call the police. He called his friends in the media, including you-know-who. The ordeal lasted more than an hour. Eventually the GM called the police, and the police asked Spears to leave. Both sides tell this same story.

“(Marcus) kept saying this was racism,” the general manager said. “He broke down and was literally crying. He said he couldn’t talk to his mama anymore and that we were all going to hell. He said: ‘Do you know who I am? I’ll own this place. I’ll have all of your jobs.’ And then he would calm down.

“He said he had $7 million in the bank and that he was buying the truck as a retirement present for himself. He kept showing us three checkbooks. I told him we’d be more than happy to let him write a check for the truck. But he said, ‘Why would I pay for it now when I can pay for it later?’ ”

On Friday afternoon, two people claiming to work for local radio stations called the truck company demanding that the company’s management answer Spears’ charges of racism. Spears came back out to the truck company. The general manager instructed his employees to call the police.

“We just want this to go away now,” the general manager said. “We don’t want any trouble. We don’t want any publicity. We’re a small company. We don’t want a problem with a Chiefs player.”

I haven’t heard from Spears since Thanksgiving night. He called my cell phone and left me a message.

“Hey, man, how come you didn’t invite me to your house for Thanksgiving dinner?” he said. “You over there cooking for everybody, but you didn’t invite me.”

Marcus, buy a ticket today, fly back to Houston, humble yourself and don’t come back here until you’re ready to offer everyone a full apology.

Rausch
11-26-2005, 01:40 AM
After a brief encounter with him a few years ago I doubt the man lives in the same world as the rest of us...

Dunit35
11-26-2005, 01:40 AM
Weird...alittle "roid" rage...Everyone knowns Fatlock couldnt cook for two overweight people on thanksgiving.

Count Zarth
11-26-2005, 01:51 AM
Who cares?

Find a Chiefs-related topic to write about in the future, Jason.

****ing retarded article.

Next week Jason gives us an update about Brock Middlebrook's life after football.

Dunit35
11-26-2005, 02:03 AM
Damn that is a big ass truck that would be pimp to have.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-26-2005, 02:04 AM
Damn that is a big ass truck that would be pimp to have.

If you were only white... ROFL

Chiefs Pantalones
11-26-2005, 02:10 AM
"Do you know who I am?"

Yeah, a career backup. But a dang good cheerleader.

the Talking Can
11-26-2005, 04:09 AM
wtf?

the Star let him write that?

SDChief
11-26-2005, 05:50 AM
wtf?

His editor must want a deal on an 06. Whitlock will probably have a new ride soon too. A real "who cares" story, he hasn't been a Chief for a few years. :shake:

the Talking Can
11-26-2005, 06:08 AM
but he didn't provide any insight at all....is Spears having mental problems? just an asshole? why?

and why should ANYONE care?

that's just water cooler gossip...

mikey23545
11-26-2005, 06:35 AM
This is an extremely strange topic for a column...Makes Fatlock sound about as disturbed as Spears...

CrazyHorse
11-26-2005, 06:38 AM
So a firend calls you for help. Because you think he is wrong, you decide to throw his dirty laundry into public. Then demand an appology.

Yeah....he owes you an appology. :rolleyes:

Maybe someone should hold a mirror up for you. You know, one of those carnival mirrors that make you look.....well...... thinner.

Bob Dole
11-26-2005, 07:28 AM
If Jason doesn't win a Pulitzer for this column, it's a clear sign that racism is alive and well.

jettio
11-26-2005, 07:35 AM
I can't help but think how lame Spears was as a broadcaster on the Metro Sports high school games. Does not have a lot going on upstairs.

Whitlock likes showing the white folks that he can disagree with a black guy crying racism, that is why he wants to write about insignificant crap like this.

I figured the next black guy he would throw under the bus would be Jordan Black, non pass-blocking making Aaron Strobel look like Derrick Thomas sorry-azz mutha.

Katipan
11-26-2005, 07:41 AM
wow fattie. you're so cool.

greg63
11-26-2005, 07:46 AM
ROFL These responses are classic! :D

My response to this, and every, Whitlock article is as follows:

Bob Dole
11-26-2005, 07:58 AM
I figured the next black guy he would throw under the bus would be Jordan Black, non pass-blocking making Aaron Strobel look like Derrick Thomas sorry-azz mutha.

:hmmm:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/players/jordan_black.jpg

Phobia
11-26-2005, 08:03 AM
Wow. Dude took private phone conversations made in confidence and plunged a dagger into the back of Spears. Spears may never recover. When Spears finally does get that truck, Jason Whitlock may experience an inopportune inspection of the large, commercial front bumper and undercarriage.

If a black man assaults a black man, how can you blame whitey?

jettio
11-26-2005, 08:11 AM

Good afternoon, my opponent, allow me to introduce you to Mr. Trent Green.

InChiefsHell
11-26-2005, 08:13 AM

...Exactly...

While reading this article, I kept waiting for a point. There was none. How much does Whitlock make, and are they hiring? I could write stupid pointless crap too.

...having said that, it sounds like Spears' cheese slipped off of his cracker...but who gives a crap??

Phobia
11-26-2005, 08:19 AM
JDub,
I like you, so I'll hold up the mirror. It's what friends do.

Ain't nothin Spears did this week that you haven't done 2 dozen times through your damned column. You scream racism at the drop of a hat. Fug'n hypocrite.

shakesthecat
11-26-2005, 08:20 AM
I think the fact that Spears started crying should be reason enough not to sell him that truck.

Brock
11-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Wow. Dude took private phone conversations made in confidence and plunged a dagger into the back of Spears. Spears may never recover. When Spears finally does get that truck, Jason Whitlock may experience an inopportune inspection of the large, commercial front bumper and undercarriage.

If a black man assaults a black man, how can you blame whitey?

Yes - what a lame thing to do. No wonder most players don't want to talk to him.

chiefsfaninNC
11-26-2005, 08:54 AM
Only thing surprising here is that it took the idiot 3 sentences to mention basketball.

stevieray
11-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Whitty wants an apology?

Probably because he's pissed it wasn't a valid case of racism.

Straight, No Chaser
11-26-2005, 09:20 AM
wtf?

Agreed.

Isn't this the type of social currency a classy reporter keeps to himself?

IMO, not news that's "fit to print"

--->

beavis
11-26-2005, 09:21 AM
JDub,

Ain't nothin Spears did this week that you haven't done 2 dozen times through your damned column. You scream racism at the drop of a hat. Fug'n hypocrite.
I assume he believes this will give him credibility the next time he wants to play the card. "Hey look, I can be on either side of the issue!"

acasas4
11-26-2005, 09:26 AM
JW is pissed because the truck isn't big enough to haul his fat ass around.

TRR
11-26-2005, 09:42 AM
Why would he even write an article about this? Talk about ruining a relationship with the flick of a pen.

grandllama
11-26-2005, 09:53 AM
After a brief encounter with him a few years ago I doubt the man lives in the same world as the rest of us...

Who? Whitlock or Spears?

wazu
11-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Sounds like Spears deserves every bit of this. Good for you, Whitlock. Spears wasn't calling a friend, he was calling the media.

Here you go, Spears. You got what you wanted. The truth has been reported for all to see.

T-post Tom
11-26-2005, 10:50 AM
I assume he believes this will give him credibility the next time he wants to play the card. "Hey look, I can be on either side of the issue!"

DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner! Beavis nailed it, spot on. JDUB has used this maneuver before.

Rausch
11-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Who? Whitlock or Spears?

Spears.

He wasn't really rude, just.....odd.

Calcountry
11-26-2005, 11:34 AM
JDub,

Ain't nothin Spears did this week that you haven't done 2 dozen times through your damned column. You scream racism at the drop of a hat. Fug'n hypocrite.:thumb:

go bowe
11-26-2005, 11:34 AM

If a black man assaults a black man, how can you blame whitey?well, bush is white, isn't he?

Calcountry
11-26-2005, 11:35 AM
DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner! Beavis nailed it, spot on. JDUB has used this maneuver before.Chitlock should run for the Senate.

Skip Towne
11-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Why would he even write an article about this? Talk about ruining a relationship with the flick of a pen.
Spears is out of the league. Fatlock doesn't need him anymore.

Reaper16
11-26-2005, 12:02 PM
well, bush is white, isn't he?
If he wasn't white, would he care about himself? [/kanye]

chagrin
11-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Fatlock

patteeu
11-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Is Scott Cruce the same as Scott Forest?

Dunit35
11-26-2005, 02:24 PM
JW is pissed because the truck isn't big enough to haul his fat ass around.

This truck is huge. The inside looks nice. But the rest of the truck is kinda goofy. Id still take it and drive it around.

DeepSouth
11-26-2005, 04:29 PM
So, the dealer says, "Hey Jason, you write something negative about Spears so that we don't get any negative press and we'll give you an SUV to drive around in".

Count Zarth
11-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Honestly...if I was Jason's editor I'd have bitched up a storm about this. This is a horrible article. WRITE ABOUT THE F*CKING CHIEFS!

Leave the gossip column to the gossip columnists.

Does this guy have journalistic tenture or something?

FringeNC
11-26-2005, 05:12 PM
The relevant race angle here is whether Whitlock would have his job if he were white. Given the lack of quality of his columns, I question whether he was an affirmative action hire. The column is a joke -- who the **** cares about Marcus Spears difficulties getting financed buying a truck. You have to be ****ing me.

Deberg_1990
11-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Honestly...if I was Jason's editor I'd have bitched up a storm about this. This is a horrible article. WRITE ABOUT THE F*CKING CHIEFS!

Leave the gossip column to the gossip columnists.

Does this guy have journalistic tenture or something?

This is exactly why Jason still has a job at the Star. He sells, plain and simple. Look how much crap and conversation he stirs up around here all the time. Love him or hate him, you MUST read him.

Count Zarth
11-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Newspapers make most of their revenue from advertisments, not people buying the frigging paper.

I usually enjoy Jason's takes on the Chiefs. If he continues to write crap like this, I'll stop reading him.

SNR
11-26-2005, 08:10 PM
I can imagine Witless telling this to all his boyz at the beauty salon. That's exactly what it is. "He said this, he said that," gossip. There was no need to write the article to make Spears look like a jackass, nor is it worthwhile to the reader.

And in the end, nothing is changed. JDub is still a giant dumbshit fat f*ck

Skip Towne
11-26-2005, 08:58 PM
I can imagine Witless telling this to all his boyz at the beauty salon. That's exactly what it is. "He said this, he said that," gossip. There was no need to write the article to make Spears look like a jackass, nor is it worthwhile to the reader.

And in the end, nothing is changed. JDub is still a giant dumbshit fat f*ck
Well, yeah.

Thig Lyfe
11-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Marcus Spears is retired... heh heh heh...

HemiEd
11-27-2005, 05:58 AM
If Jason doesn't win a Pulitzer for this column, it's a clear sign that racism is alive and well.
ROFL totally objective article. wtf?

Katipan
11-27-2005, 08:14 AM
Newspapers make most of their revenue from advertisments, not people buying the frigging paper.

I usually enjoy Jason's takes on the Chiefs. If he continues to write crap like this, I'll stop reading him.

Yeah thats what I said like 2 years ago, and I still read every piece of crap article that emerges from his bowel movements.

Count Zarth
11-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Yeah thats what I said like 2 years ago, and I still read every piece of crap article that emerges from his bowel movements.

Yes but in my case, I actually enjoy most of his stuff. I bet you can't find 10 articles he's written in the last year I didn't like.

KCinNY
11-27-2005, 08:23 AM
The most telling thing in this article is that Spears immediately called Whitlock with his absurd charges of racism.