PDA

View Full Version : And Salina Central wins the Kansas Class 5A State Championship

Braincase
11-26-2005, 04:37 PM
The Salina Central Mustangs took an early lead in the class 5A State Championship Football Game in Emporia Saturday afternoon, and then held on to win in the end over the Stilwell-Blue Valley Tigers. Senior Jake Sharp scored four touchdowns and ran for over 200 yards, before leaving the game late with a knee injury. The Mustangs got on the board first, with Sharp rushing for a 33 yard touchdown with at the 3:30 mark of the quarter. A personal foul penalty on Blue Valley in the end zone against Sharp as he scored moved the ball half the distance to the goal line for the extra point. The Mustangs elected to go for two, and converted with Sharp diving over the top for the conversion. Blue Valley scored next on a short run. The Tigers elected to try for a two point conversion as well, but were denied by the Mustang defense. The Mustangs punched it in again before halftime, this time with an amazing run from Sharp, running to paydirt from 37 yards out. Blue Valley took the ensuing kickoff, though, and drove down the field for a score right before halftime. The Tigers trailed the Mustangs at the break by a score of 15 - 13.

Midway through the second half, the Salina Central offense picked up where they left off. Jake Sharp outran the defense for a 52 yard touchdown at the 7:20 mark of the third quarter, and the Mustangs led 22 - 13. Sharp scored again a little over two minutes later, following a turnover, on another touchdown run. Salina Central led at the end of the third quarter by a score of 29 - 13.

Blue Valley did not go quietly in the 4th quarter, though. The Tigers scored with just under 11 minutes to go, and following a two point conversion, the score was 29 - 21.

Blue Valley got the ball back a couple of times, but could not score. The Mustangs thwarted one drive with an interception near the goal-line, and later when Blue Valley got the ball back for a last ditch try the Mustang defense came up big again.

Jake Sharp left the game with about three minutes to play, with an apparent knee injury. In Sharp's absence, though, the Mustang offense was still able to convert a first down late in the game to seal the victory. Sharp finished the game with 263 yards rushing on 29 carries, and 4 touchdowns.

The State Championship is the sixth for the Salina Central football program.

For the second state year a Salina school is the best in 5A. Last year Salina South won the state championship game. In class 5A, six of the last seven state football champions have been a Salina school.

Boyceofsummer
11-26-2005, 05:54 PM
For the second state year a Salina school is the best in 5A. Last year Salina South won the state championship game. In class 5A, six of the last seven state football champions have been a Salina school.

Back in my day we (Salina South) kicked ass in band, debate and gymnastics. If the school system would have had ping pong I would have lettered. But I digress.

Braincase
11-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Back in my day we (Salina South) kicked ass in band, debate and gymnastics. If the school system would have had ping pong I would have lettered. But I digress.

Back in my senior year, we went to the playoffs in football, came in 2nd in the state basketball tournament (Greg Dreiling led Kapaun won) and we won state in track.

SLAG
11-26-2005, 07:12 PM
who won the 6a game?

kcwooskie
11-26-2005, 07:28 PM
Hutchinson won

keg in kc
11-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Back in my senior year, we went to the playoffs in football, came in 2nd in the state basketball tournament (Greg Dreiling led Kapaun won) and we won state in track.Was that the year you got knocked out of the playoffs by Bedrock and all-star QB freddy flintstone?

Braincase
11-27-2005, 07:03 AM
Was that the year you got knocked out of the playoffs by Bedrock and all-star QB freddy flintstone?

Bullsh!t. Freddy was a backup. He always told people he was a star, but he was nothing more than a waterboy with a clipboard.