PDA

View Full Version : Upbeat Division Perspective

Color Red
11-26-2005, 10:53 PM
Three months ago I warned that they could be calling Shannahan a genius by seasons' end and that seems to be coming to pass. Credit to the Broncos, they're doing a great job.

On the eve of the NE/KC matchup, two games behind in the division race with six games to go, here's some positive perspective on the Chiefs' chances in the AFC West this year:

Chiefs have four more home games this year, Broncos have two. Yes, Denver has played well on the road this year, but they do have a date in Buffalo in December.

Only on rare occasions do teams go entire season without a hiccup ('72 Dolphins?). Broncos haven't had theirs yet this season, so they are due.

Of the six division games each team has, the two most difficult ones for the Broncos have not been played. It's way too early to be making a big deal about division records in the AFC West.

No one around here is so dillusional to think that the Bronco offensive performance in Dallas was where it needed to be, Ron Dayne's work notwithstanding. There's no reason to think we can't put the squeeze on them at Arrowhead and start to right the ship.

Denver must face the Chargers in SD on the last date of the regular season. Remember: we may or may not have caught the Broncos by then, but we cannot afford to be tied with or behind Marty's boys by that time. Chargers still have games in DC, Indy and KC this year.

Yeah this is optimistic, and we'll know a whole lot more about matters a week from Sunday night. We'll see how it goes.....

KCChiefsFan88
11-27-2005, 12:15 AM

Only on rare occasions do teams go entire season without a hiccup ('72 Dolphins?). Broncos haven't had theirs yet this season, so they are due.

Their first game of the season in Miami where they were blown out was their hiccup

Mr. Kotter
11-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Their first game of the season in Miami where they were blown out was their hiccup

Nope. They still have it coming. They've become the new "Faders" of the division....and December is upon us. :)

:fire:

Count Zarth
11-27-2005, 12:46 AM
I'd share your optimism only if Dallas had beaten them.

Denver's not going to lose to Buffalo, Oakland or Baltimore. And they can probably take 1 of 2 against SD and KC.

Mr. Kotter
11-27-2005, 12:49 AM

Denver's not going to lose to Buffalo, Oakland or Baltimore. And they can probably take 1 of 2 against SD and KC.

at Buffalo in December?....and do you mean the Baltimore team that just beat Pittsburg, in Pittsburg?

I'm inclined to agree, but this is why we play the games? I'm beginning to here gasping and choking sounds coming from the West.... :hmmm:

Rausch
11-27-2005, 12:53 AM
at Buffalo in December?....

It doesn't matter when the game is played, the Bills are still a ****ing terrible team. Just horrid...

...and do you mean the Baltimore team that just beat Pittsburg, in Pittsburg?

If Charlie Batch starts for the Broncos, yeah, they'll lose...

Mr. Kotter
11-27-2005, 01:08 AM
It doesn't matter when the game is played, the Bills are still a ****ing terrible team. Just horrid...

If Charlie Batch starts for the Broncos, yeah, they'll lose...

I'm not a bettin' man....but I say they lose to us, to either Buffalo or Baltimore.....and to end the season, at San Diego.

11-5. If we take care of business, at worse....it comes down to tie-breakers. If we run the table, it's over. :)

Of course, I could be wrong....

Count Zarth
11-27-2005, 01:12 AM
Seriously a "hiccup" would be a couple losses.

We're not going 12-4.

Nightwish
11-27-2005, 01:15 AM
Dallas effectively beat themselves. Denver's performance in that game was pretty dismal. One easy field goal made, and one routine route properly communicated between QB and WR, and Denver goes home with a holiday loss. Dayne had two good running plays, which amounted to about the only impressive offensive plays for Denver in that game. Their defense wasn't much more impressive. Champ Bailey's interception would have been a lot more impressive if Bledsoe and his WR had been on the same page with the play. In short, if Denver starts playing like they played Thursday, they may as well kiss the rest of their season goodbye.

Count Zarth
11-27-2005, 01:17 AM
Dallas effectively beat themselves. Denver's performance in that game was pretty dismal. One easy field goal made, and one routine route properly communicated between QB and WR, and Denver goes home with a holiday loss. Dayne had two good running plays, which amounted to about the only impressive offensive plays for Denver in that game.

It doesn't matter. They won. We needed them to lose. They won't lose more than 2 games the rest of year, if that.

Nightwish
11-27-2005, 01:20 AM
It doesn't matter. They won. We needed them to lose. They won't lose more than 2 games the rest of year, if that.
I know. I'm just saying that if that game wasn't just a fluke for them, if it's an indicator of where Denver is at mentally and physically right now, they're screwed.

Mile High Mania
11-27-2005, 07:29 AM
The one thing the Dallas game can tell you about Denver is that Dallas is pretty damn good on defense and the Denver offense struggled on the road. But, they still got the job done.

I don't see a defense on the remaining schedule that looks as complete as Dallas has been this season. That doesn't mean Denver can't go 3-2 or 2-3 down the stretch. Anything can happen.

Miami was a nice hiccup to start the season and the Giants game was a nice way to give up a lead and lose one you should have won.

That happens in the NFL. Nothing has been won yet.

milkman
11-27-2005, 08:45 AM

Horrid or not, aren't the Bills 4-1 at home this season.

If correct, that's a pretty fair indication that they aren't pushovers in Buffalo, and Denver could lose there.

PastorMikH
11-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Seriously a "hiccup" would be a couple losses.

We're not going 12-4.

If we can't, we really have no hope of a Super Bowl anyway.

The thing that is frustrating is that we are 6-4 and have never gotten on track. 10 games into the season and the Chiefs have yet to play to their potential.

chiefsfaninNC
11-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Your optimism seems to be misfounded. I agree that Fake Plummer and the Donks will flounder here at the end and give us an opportunity to take the division. However, we have not proven as of yet that we are capable of rising to the challenge. Face it, our coaches suck and they rarely have this team ready to play.