PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Warren Sapp placed on IR

Miles
11-27-2005, 12:23 AM
Sapp to have season-ending shoulder surgery

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders placed defensive tackle Warren Sapp on injured reserve Saturday with a right shoulder injury, prematurely ending his 11th NFL season.

Sapp, who turns 33 next month, had been listed as doubtful during the week for Sunday's home game against the Miami Dolphins after injuring his shoulder during the Raiders' 16-13 win at Washington last Sunday.

He has a torn rotator cuff, the team said.

Sapp wasn't sure when he got hurt in the game. He had an MRI exam Wednesday and coach Norv Turner didn't immediately know the results, though Oakland downgraded Sapp to out on Friday's injury report.

"It's not a separation, no," Turner said Friday. "They're just making sure in terms of the structure and everything inside. I think we'll know something in a few days where he's at."

The team decided Saturday to place Sapp on IR for the final six games because the injury wasn't getting better. But it isn't considered career-threatening.

The loss of Sapp is a big blow for a Raiders defense that has made significant strides this season, and Sapp was having a comeback year after struggling in his first season with the Raiders in 2004 after nine years with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He agreed to a seven-year, $36.6 million contract with the Raiders in March 2004, two months after winning the Super Bowl with the Bucs.

After spending much of last season as a defensive end in coordinator Rob Ryan's three-man front that didn't suit his skills, Sapp had moved back to the tackle position in the 4-3 alignment that he excelled in while making seven consecutive Pro Bowls for Tampa Bay.

To take Sapp's roster spot, the Raiders promoted offensive tackle Brad Lekkerkerker from the practice squad to the active roster. The 6-foot-7, 330-pound Lekkerkerker also was on the Raiders practice squad last season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2237803

beer bacon
11-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Too bad for Sapp. He was having a pretty good season. Also, what kind of crazy name is Lekkerkerker? That is all kinds of ****ed up.

Count Alex's Losses
11-27-2005, 12:29 AM
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/4238/sadsapp211453vf.jpg

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/6876/sadsapp10926st.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6392/sapsnickers6ri.jpg

Demonpenz
11-27-2005, 12:30 AM
he's a hall of famer

ZootedGranny
11-27-2005, 12:31 AM
"LEK-KER-KER-KER!"
http://annamay.mypicgallery.com/EventPix/lil-jon-scrappy_large.jpg

As for Sapp, I would say "Eh, **** him" just on general principle, but I was just thinking...as a Raider he's never done anything whatsoever against the Chiefs.

Mr. Kotter
11-27-2005, 12:37 AM
he's a hall of famer

I'd have said that 3 years ago.....I'm not so sure now.....

Demonpenz
11-27-2005, 12:38 AM
no he's in super bowl rings he played some O too. kicked ass for like 6 straight years and has a mouth to go with it. He is in

Mr. Kotter
11-27-2005, 12:47 AM
no he's in super bowl rings he played some O too. kicked ass for like 6 straight years and has a mouth to go with it. He is in

If he's in, Priest is in....and I'm not sure about Priest....JMHO.

Demonpenz
11-27-2005, 12:57 AM
priest had the O line. sapp was the first line of attack. Plus sapp ran his mouth and had the media behind him he is in

Mr. Kotter
11-27-2005, 12:59 AM
priest had the O line. sapp was the first line of attack. Plus sapp ran his mouth and had the media behind him he is in

I think Sapp's made more than a few enemies along the way; but you could be right, I guess.

ZootedGranny
11-27-2005, 01:00 AM
Even during his prime, he was overrated because of his inconsistency, and the past few years in Oakland have done absolutely nothing to help his cause.

At points in his career, he was a great player. But not Hall of Fame worthy.

Spicy McHaggis
11-27-2005, 01:01 AM
Sapp may have been a great DT in his time. What I'll remember him for though is being a scumbag for that cheap shot against Green Bay.

Demonpenz
11-27-2005, 01:03 AM
shit that play was legal against green bay. I wish the chiefs had someone who liked to hit people instead of standing around wondering who is going to get the klenxes for dickie

Spicy McHaggis
11-27-2005, 01:08 AM
shit that play was legal against green bay. I wish the chiefs had someone who liked to hit people instead of standing around wondering who is going to get the klenxes for dickie

legal had nothing to do with it. The play was 90 yards down field and Sapp blindsides an O-Lineman walking along. The guy was taken off on a stretcher and could have had his career ended. **** Sapp.

Demonpenz
11-27-2005, 01:12 AM
legal had nothing to do with it. The play was 90 yards down field and Sapp blindsides an O-Lineman walking along. The guy was taken off on a stretcher and could have had his career ended. **** Sapp.

Good. You have to have your head up. You deserve to get lit up if you are not paying attention

Fruit Ninja
11-27-2005, 01:14 AM
This game is football man. if its legal then its all good. if your on the football field your ass better be paying attention 100 percent of the time. not 99.

HemiEd
11-27-2005, 06:48 AM
I guess I should feel bad for being glad a Raider is injured. Shame on me.

Ugly Duck
11-27-2005, 10:14 AM
I guess I should feel bad for being glad a Raider is injured. Shame on me.No need to beg us for it.... looks like you do a pretty good job of shaming yourself....

RedNeckRaider
11-27-2005, 11:15 AM

That was a total chickenshit hit. The old saying is snap to whistle, and that is true. However in every game away from the play there is someone to be had if you want the cheap shot. I love big hitters and don't mind guys who are rowdy and willing to go to blows if the time is right.

I can not stand a cheapshot artist, Oakland has had their share as has every team in the NFL. There is no reason or defense for a player to try to end someones playing days with a cheap shot. I don't care if they play for the team I root for or another team, I hate chickenshit players.