PDA

View Full Version : Dean - LJ at it again

Count Alex's Losses
11-27-2005, 02:21 AM
Chiefs notebook
The Capital-Journal

LJ at it again

Want to know why Larry Johnson rarely speaks to anyone but a few favored reporters in the Kansas City media?

Well, considering what comes out of his mouth when he does speak to the chosen few, the Chiefs may find Johnson's new-found but occasionally broken vow of silence to be a blessing.

Consider Johnson's comments Friday to a radio reporter.

Asked if he thought he would ever get the credit he deserves after rushing for a team record 211 yards in last week's win over Houston, Johnson -- after saying he was happy for his offensive line, which had been taking its share of the heat -- spoke like a player still feeling the shadow of the injured Priest Holmes.

"They still don't want to give me credit," Johnson said. "They said, 'Well, (Buffalo and Houston) were the two worst rushing defenses in the league.' Did they say that last year when I rushed for a career-high 150 against Denver when they had the No. 5 defense?

"It gets old, but until Priest Holmes returns I'll always hear, 'Can he do this? Can he do that?' Do I have to go out and run against Jesus on the field or against 11 Jesuses to actually prove I can play in this league?"

Asked if he hired a new agent with the idea of securing a better contract before his current five-year deal expires after the 2007 season, Johnson was non-commital.

"Isn't this a business?" he asked. "When that times comes, that time will come. I just decided to switch to a younger guy."

Barber back

It's been more than a year since Shawn Barber last took a snap in an NFL game.

But the year-long recovery from the ACL injury that sidelined him last Nov. 7 in Tampa likely will end for Barber on Sunday when he is expected to be on the active roster for the Chiefs-Patriots game.

Barber, who was supposed to be a big-time improvement when he came to Kansas City from Philadelphia's championship-caliber defense in 2003, will not immediately reclaim his right outside starting spot from new addition Kendrell Bell.

"They've got some good chemistry going (in the linebacking corps) -- we're No. 5 (4, actually) in rush defense, and you don't want to break that up," Barber said.

KC quick kicks

• Patriots head coach Bill Belichick rejoined his team Friday after spending the week attending to family needs following the death of his father last Saturday. He described the team's preparations in his absence to be as normal as possible.

• In two games against the Chiefs, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has completed 70 percent of his passes for 725 yards and five TDs with no interceptions. New England won both starts, one of them in OT at Foxboro in 2002.

• The Patriots have won three straight games from the Chiefs and four of the last five meetings since 1998. They won last year's game at Arrowhead 27-19 after Kansas City closed to as close as 24-19 with 6:13 remaining.

• With SS Rodney Harrison out of action since early in the season, the Patriots have struggled in guarding good tight ends. Antonio Gates had six catches for 108 yards. Atlanta's Alge Crumpler was 6-99 and Miami Randy McMichael was 7-81. Chiefs TE Tony Gonzalez, who had a 7-86 day against the Pats last year, has caught 17 balls in the last two games after catching only 37 in the first eight.

• Injury update: The Chiefs will play without backup FS Jerome Woods (hamstring) and backup RB/FB Ronnie Cruz (knee). DE Ryan Sims, who had his most extensive week of practice since going down with an injured foot in the season opener, is considered a week away from returning to action. WR Eddie Kennison worked sparingly on Thursday and Friday with a back injury, but is expected to play. Starting CB Patrick Surtain tweaked his sprained ankle on Friday, but thinks he'll be available. LT Willie Roaf should return after a three-game absence while nursing a partially torn hamstring.

The Patriots injury list is more extensive. It includes starting LT Matt Light (doubtful, ankle). Among those considered questionable are starting RT Tom Ashworth (knee), starting WR David Givens (knee) and top backup Troy Brown (foot), starting RB Corey Dillon (calf) and his backup Kevin Faulk (foot), starting TE David Graham, starting LB Willie McGinest (finger) and top reserve Monty Beisel, the former Kansas State and Kansas City player who has a back injury.

Count Alex's Losses
11-27-2005, 02:22 AM
Jesus has nothing on LJ. ROFL

beer bacon
11-27-2005, 02:29 AM
Jesus has nothing on LJ. ROFL

I really wouldn't be convinced if LJ ran for 200 against a defense of Jesuses. I mean, Jesus weighed probably around 150 tops. Imagine the holes our O-line could open up against a D-line of Our Lord and Saviors.

tk13
11-27-2005, 02:31 AM
Who wasn't giving him credit? That was a heck of a performance, I don't care who it was against... who out there was actually dissing it?

Deberg_1990
[b]"They still don't want to give me credit," Johnson said. "They said, 'Well, (Buffalo and Houston) were the two worst rushing defenses in the league.

Who is THEY exactly???

ChiefsFanatic
I think he is absolutely correct. I have never seen a coach go out of his way to give back handed compliments to a player, as DV does for LJ.

keg in kc
11-27-2005, 02:33 AM
DV isn't doing anything with LJ that I haven't seen him do with other high draft picks (Sims for example). That's his way of motivating young talent.

And if LJ has a chip on his shoulder instead of being complacent, it's working.

tk13
11-27-2005, 02:35 AM
What did DV say? I must've missed that...

Count Alex's Losses
11-27-2005, 02:36 AM
I love that quote. It's almost as good as the Penn State quote.

tk13
11-27-2005, 02:41 AM
There's a really long Elizabeth Merrill article about LJ today in the Star. Since there's already a thread I'll post parts of it here. Just talks about how he plays with a chip on his shoulder, all of the things that have gone on in KC, diapergate, blah blah... also said he's gotten hate mail... yikes...

“I love this team,” Johnson says. “I love my teammates. I’d do anything for them dudes, and most of them know that, too. I just don’t … I am very uncomfortable with the people here and the way they see me and the way they sometimes treat me. It has nothing to do with football. It has to do with when I’m out on the town.

“You get a young guy, tattooed up, diamonds everywhere, who can talk and speak his mind but also back it up, and it kind of rubs people the wrong way. Usually out there, everybody’s old. It’s like the Bush Republican crowd. Nobody’s going to want to accept something strange. They’re always going to fear what they don’t understand and don’t know.”

“I worry about every little thing that goes on,” Johnson says. “I worry about if I mess up, I worry if we don’t win these last couple of games will they blame me?

“There are a lot of stressful situations that I worry about all the time more than being happy or breaking a single-game record. I’m worried about a lot of things that are maybe out of my control or in my control. If I can knock those things out of the way, maybe I can be a happier person.”

Vermeil and Peterson downplay Johnson’s occasional media rant. Like when Johnson has publicly said he should be playing more, and that if the Chiefs don’t need him, maybe they should trade him.

Peterson says those words depict passion. He tries to counsel his young running back, telling him sometimes it’s better to let your actions speak.

“I think sometimes he is so bluntly honest that people misinterpret him,” Peterson says. “The (questions) about, ‘Do you care about Priest? Do you have a relationship with Priest?’ Yeah, he does. He sees him every day. He has great admiration for Priest. He’s learned a great deal from Priest, and I don’t know why people don’t want to sit down and talk to him about it.

“Maybe he doesn’t want to. But he’ll talk about it with me.”

Every week, the running backs meet at Richardson’s house for barbecue and film study. Johnson never misses. He says Richardson has been like a brother to him.

He has plenty on his mind. On Friday, Johnson mentions an upcoming court date for an assault charge. The woman accuser is now disputing the charge, and Johnson says he’s been painted around town as a womanizer and a criminal.

“I’ve never had any type of hate mail until I got out here,” Johnson says. “And I’ve gotten some real crude hate mail sent to me. It’s all just perception of how people really see me.

“A quiet, honest guy. That’s who I am. I don’t even like to talk much. I prefer not to talk. But if something’s wrong, if something’s in my heart to say, I’ve got to say it.”

“I like being pissed off,” he says. “I know that sometimes when I’m happy, something usually comes along and knocks me back down to earth. So I like keeping it at a real chill level, being prepared for anything, something good, something bad.”

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/13264865.htm

Chiefs Pantalones
11-27-2005, 03:07 AM
LJ is becoming my favorite Chief.

And you have to thank DV for that. When it's all said and done, I'm sure LJ will look back and think...wow, I probably wouldn't have been the player I was if it weren't for DV. DV may be doing in knowingly or not, but it's causing LJ to perform great on the field.

Spicy McHaggis
11-27-2005, 03:14 AM
Who wasn't giving him credit? That was a heck of a performance, I don't care who it was against... who out there was actually dissing it?

Billy Bob from Houston called in and said something :rolleyes:. I think a lot of this hate on LJ is in his head but if he runs better for it, fine. In some ways LJ reminds me of Allen Iverson. He's honest to the point of being blunt, sometimes says things that either were phrased wrong or just poorly timed, but he seems like a scrapper who plays with heart.

tk13
11-27-2005, 03:26 AM

And you have to thank DV for that. When it's all said and done, I'm sure LJ will look back and think...wow, I probably wouldn't have been the player I was if it weren't for DV. DV may be doing in knowingly or not, but it's causing LJ to perform great on the field.
DV knows what he's doing... seeing how he runs the football all pissed off, I'm not sure I want a coach who actually likes LJ. :)

OzArK KrAzO
11-27-2005, 03:42 AM
So far larrys has never been seriosly hurt yet and had to play.I like him but he aint no savior.Wish he would make up his mind WHO to be ill at. To me he doesnt need that mad running style. It got earl the (pearl) a early retirement.Exciting but hard on the body.Id hate to see his season cut short because he chose to run over a defender when he shouldnt have been touched.The jurys still out as far as L.J As far as im concerned.Loads of talent.BUT it kinda seems like L.J would just as soon be somewhere else at times and thats disturbing to see.

LocoChiefsFan
11-27-2005, 05:17 AM
I really wouldn't be convinced if LJ ran for 200 against a defense of Jesuses. I mean, Jesus weighed probably around 150 tops. Imagine the holes our O-line could open up against a D-line of Our Lord and Saviors.
That's funny right there. I don't care who you are, that's funny. ROFL

HemiEd
11-27-2005, 05:59 AM
DV isn't doing anything with LJ that I haven't seen him do with other high draft picks (Sims for example). That's his way of motivating young talent.

And if LJ has a chip on his shoulder instead of being complacent, it's working.

Exactly, I agree 100%. DV is playing him like a fiddle.

Bob Dole
11-27-2005, 06:09 AM
Marcus Spears is in town. Maybe he could sit LJ down and have a talk with him about his attitude and the many ways The Man will keep him down.

JBucc
11-27-2005, 06:40 AM
LJ if you're reading this, you suck you little bitch. My granmama could run through Houston and Buffalo's shitty defense. And NE's D sucks too so don't be complaining when you don't get no respect for running all over them too. You couldn't carry Priest's jock you whiny little piece of shit. I hate you, you stupid muther****er ~ signed, your loving coach, DV.

the Talking Can
11-27-2005, 06:47 AM
LJ if you're reading this, you suck you little bitch. My granmama could run through Houston and Buffalo's shitty defense. And NE's D sucks too so don't be complaining when you don't get no respect for running all over them too. You couldn't carry Priest's jock you whiny little piece of shit. I hate you, you stupid muther****er ~ signed, your loving coach, DV.

you forgot "You ain't a real pimp."....DV loves to say that to him at practice, it cracks AS up....

phxchief
11-27-2005, 07:51 AM

He's also ran well against the other defenses he's faced - many of which are highly ranked. A lot of them allow less than 4 per carry, and he's gone way above that in most games.

Chiefnj
11-27-2005, 08:07 AM
The best thing for the Chiefs is if Johnson holds out for a better deal at the end of this year. This way KC can lock him into a long term deal and not risk losing him as a FA at the end of 2006.

wazu
11-27-2005, 08:26 AM
The best thing for the Chiefs is if Johnson holds out for a better deal at the end of this year. This way KC can lock him into a long term deal and not risk losing him as a FA at the end of 2006.

Nah, I would rather he come out next year and play 16 games for his new, bad-ass deal. I have a feeling Larry will be one of those who somehow finds more in the tank when playing for a contract.

milkman
11-27-2005, 08:47 AM
Nah, I would rather he come out next year and play 16 games for his new, bad-ass deal. I have a feeling Larry will be one of those who somehow finds more in the tank when playing for a contract.

Nah.

We need Carl to get him signed to a long term contract now.

Then we all need to start sending him hate mail.

Nobody would be able to stop him.

penchief
11-27-2005, 08:47 AM
I think you guys are giving Vermeil way too much credit. Was his negative attitude about the draft pick to begin with all done to motivate Johnson?

I do like Vermeil but he has shown the characteristic of being petty and immature, himself, at times. I think his handling of LJ has more to do with his own shortcomings than it does some master plan to motivate Larry. It's a good thing that Dick was there during LJ's senior season at Penn State to keep him motivated.

If Vermeil needs to be "calling out" anybody it should be his golden boy, Dante.

chagrin
11-27-2005, 09:16 AM
I didn't know Shawn Barber took snaps

PastorMikH
11-27-2005, 09:54 AM
I have to say, I think Larry isn't too far off here. Watching him run in that Buffalo game for 100 yards in just over 20 minutes, then not get the ball much at all for the rest of the game pretty much shows me he's right.

At this point, I'd have to say that they need to give LJ the respect and the ball. He's stepped up for Priest 2 seasons now and gotten the job done - rather well I might add. He's earned the respect that he's not getting.

ck_IN
11-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Just adds more to my belief that King Pink is gone as soon as he can be. And frankly the way his attitude is I'm not sure I'd mind.

Yes he's in the shadow of Holmes. The best way to get out of it is to shut his mouth and put up 100+ rushing games week in and week out. Holmes is done and the stage is his. Apparently he'd rather belly ache about his lack of respect. Pathetic.

Skip Towne
11-27-2005, 10:00 AM
I have to say, I think Larry isn't too far off here. Watching him run in that Buffalo game for 100 yards in just over 20 minutes, then not get the ball much at all for the rest of the game pretty much shows me he's right.

At this point, I'd have to say that they need to give LJ the respect and the ball. He's stepped up for Priest 2 seasons now and gotten the job done - rather well I might add. He's earned the respect that he's not getting.
I agree and I think we will have a hell of a time trying to sign him again. Of course, VD doesn't care. He won't be here.

PastorMikH
11-27-2005, 10:02 AM
Iagree and I think we will have a of a time trying to sign him again. Of course, VD doesn't care. He won't be here.

I'm not too sure about that. It will take a new HC that LJ believes in for sure. But hopefully, we aren't too far away from a HC change anyway and LJ is locked into his contract for several more years.

Skip Towne
11-27-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm not too sure about that. It will take a new HC that LJ believes in for sure. But hopefully, we aren't too far away from a HC change anyway and LJ is locked into his contract for several more years.
Did you read the part about how badly he thinks he is treated by the people in KC? About the hate mail he gets? I think his contract is over after 2007. We will see.

wolfpack0735
11-27-2005, 10:11 AM
LJ is a tiny watered down TO. when he does it for acouple of years then he can open his mouth. i think maybe he should be thanking his o-line for opening up some holes. johnson wont sign any contracts till he gets a new agent and thats going to cost the chiefs alot of money.

Count Alex's Losses
11-27-2005, 10:14 AM
LJ is a tiny watered down TO.

Nope. Not even close.

milkman
11-27-2005, 10:15 AM
LJ is a tiny watered down TO. when he does it for acouple of years then he can open his mouth. i think maybe he should be thanking his o-line for opening up some holes. johnson wont sign any contracts till he gets a new agent and thats going to cost the chiefs alot of money.

LJ already has a new agent.

bringbackmarty
11-27-2005, 10:16 AM
I really wouldn't be convinced if LJ ran for 200 against a defense of Jesuses. I mean, Jesus weighed probably around 150 tops. Imagine the holes our O-line could open up against a D-line of Our Lord and Saviors. yeah, but jesuses are quick to the ball, and are able to force fumbles without touching lj.

Count Alex's Losses
11-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Jesus may have looked like he was 150, but remember, muscle weighs more than fat. Dude was ripped in all the pictures I saw of him.

Coogs
11-27-2005, 10:24 AM

Mine too! And on the defensive side, Mitchell. And I can't wait for the day when DJ starts taking a game over.

RINGLEADER
11-27-2005, 10:30 AM
I think he's referencing the media/experts. But he's getting his props on ESPN right now...

the Talking Can
11-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Fans like players when they play well. When they don't play well, or when they don't play, fans don't like players.

Ask Trent Green, or Jenny Morton, or Grbac, or...

LJ hasn't experienced anything that dozens of other players don't also experience every year (did i say that right?). In the end, usually, $$$$ will heal most wounds.

If LJ is so convinced of his martyrdom (sp?) that he won't sign then we simply franchise his ass in a couple of years and trade him after running his ass into the ground for 2 more years.

He can shut up (or keep talking, I don't care) and get paid or go somewhere else in 3 years. His choice.

MOhillbilly
11-27-2005, 10:42 AM
its refreshing to have someone like LJ who speaks his mind-instead of the mealymouthed bullshit that KC fans are used to hearing.

i hope that dude stays angry and in KC for along long time.

Reaper16
11-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Jesus may have looked like he was 150, but remember, muscle weighs more than fat. Dude was ripped in all the pictures I saw of him.
Then again, he was also white in all the pictures you saw of him. That can't be true.

Count Alex's Losses
11-27-2005, 10:43 AM
its refreshing to have someone like LJ who speaks his mind-instead of the mealymouthed bullshit that KC fans are used to hearing.

Hell yes.

ELEVEN JESUII CAN'T STOP LJ!

Count Alex's Losses
11-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Then again, he was also white in all the pictures you saw of him. That can't be true.

Are you saying Jesus a fat black guy?

MOhillbilly
11-27-2005, 10:53 AM
There was a mighty football game In Heavens own backyard Jesus was the Quarterback And Moses was the Guard The Angels in the grandstand Gave out a mighty Yell When Jesus scored a Touchdown And beat those boys from Hell

think this is on LJs Ipod?

Count Alex's Losses
11-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Holy shit. What song is that? That rules.

Bowser
11-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Hell yes.

ELEVEN JESUII CAN'T STOP LJ!

Are they related to The Flying Elvii (Utah Chapter)?

4th and Long
11-27-2005, 10:55 AM
WTF?

Count Alex's Losses
11-27-2005, 10:56 AM
WTF?

Those lyrics he posted...is that a real song?

MOhillbilly
11-27-2005, 10:57 AM

some song my dad used to play on the piano for my amusement.

milkman
11-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Are they related to The Flying Elvii (Utah Chapter)?

Bumper Sticker I saw a couple of days ago.

"Elvis died for your sins."

Rausch
11-27-2005, 11:09 AM
I don't see anything wrong with what he said. He's right.

And to me "they" means the fans, media, etc.

What people don't like is LJ just wants to go out there and play, and if you don't like him he doesn't give a ****.

I can respect that...

PastorMikH
11-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Did you read the part about how badly he thinks he is treated by the people in KC? About the hate mail he gets? I think his contract is over after 2007. We will see.

Where exactly is that located?