PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Be honest, KC beat a down team

tk13
11-28-2005, 02:12 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13271761.htm

Be honest: KC beat a down team
JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star

We might as well be realistic about what we witnessed Sunday afternoon. A realistic perspective on the Chiefs’ 26-16 victory in no way minimizes their accomplishment.

Beating the two-time, defending-champion New England Patriots is never a bad thing.

But let’s be honest: Those weren’t the defending champions inside Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday. Sure, Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, Deion Branch, Adam Vinatieri and Richard Seymour were there, but just about everybody else responsible for New England’s Super success was either somewhere else, home nursing an injury or a total shell of what they once were.

Those weren’t your newborn baby’s New England Patriots.

You really have to see the Patriots in person to appreciate just how far they’ve fallen from a year ago. You just can’t comprehend it watching the Patriots on television. At least I couldn’t. The temptation is to make excuses for the Pats and feel as if they’re a break or two from becoming a dangerous playoff team.

They’re not. They’re dead — especially their mystique and swagger.

Oh, the AFC East is so bad and New England’s schedule is so easy that the Patriots should qualify for the postseason. But there’s no reason to expect them to make any playoff noise … even when running back Corey Dillon returns.

They’re missing too many pieces, particularly on defense. Belichick prefers to run a 3-4 scheme. This year he doesn’t have the linebackers. Tedy Bruschi and Willie McGinest are too old. McGinest can’t rush the passer anymore, and Bruschi just isn’t the same sure tackler he was before his stroke.

On Sunday, Bruschi whiffed on at least four tackles. He’d perfectly diagnose a play, race into position to make the stop and flat whiff.

Belichick should put Bruschi on the bench and switch to a 4-3.

The Chiefs’ offensive line controlled New England’s pass rush. With Willie Roaf back in the starting lineup, the Chiefs had few problems with New England’s deceptive blitz schemes.

In a 4-3 scheme, the Patriots’ defensive linemen would have a much better chance of creating pass-rush pressure by physically beating some one-on-one blocks. And a consistent pass rush is the only way to protect New England’s injury-depleted secondary.

Trent Green — with all day to throw — hit wide-open receivers all afternoon. Green connected on 19 of 26 passes for 323 yards and one TD.

“Trent couldn’t be much better,” Dick Vermeil predictably gushed. “He had a quarterback efficiency rating of 127. That’s his best game of the year, and he’s coming on at the right time.”

Let’s hope, because the rest of Kansas City’s schedule will be significantly more difficult than it has been the last month. The Chiefs, 7-4, have put themselves in the thick of the AFC playoff race by winning three of four games against the Raiders (4-7), Bills (4-7), Texans (1-10) and the Patriots (6-5). If the Chiefs make the playoffs, they’ll earn it the old-fashioned way: beating playoff team after playoff team. It’s probably going to take 11 victories to qualify for an AFC playoff spot.

That means the Chiefs will have to find four victories in five games against the Broncos, Cowboys, Giants, Chargers and Bengals.

Consider me skeptical.

Sunday’s victory was far from convincing. The league’s best quarterback — Brady — played the worst game of his career, tossing four interceptions, and the Chiefs didn’t put the game away until late in the fourth quarter.

Sorry Greg Wesley, but Brady’s errors were unforced. Tom Terrific repeatedly threw high. The Chiefs sacked Brady three times, but Brady wasn’t under constant pressure. The pressure Brady felt was the knowledge that he had to be perfect for the Pats to have any chance at winning. He couldn’t expect help from his defense, special teams or coaching.

New England’s Charlie Weis-less play-calling was totally unimaginative. Weis had to roll over in his Notre Dame sweatshirt when Brady handed the ball to Heath Evans on a critical third-down play late in the game.

The Pats are in transition. We can wait ’til next year to take them seriously.

The Chiefs? They’re developing confidence and creating an identity. They have a punishing running game — Larry Johnson had 119 yards and a TD — an opportunistic passing attack and a defense that we will learn a great deal about next Sunday when Mike Shanahan and the Denver Broncos get to town.

Slowing Denver’s bootleg passing game and stretch running game will impress me far more than beating up on a team that used to be great.

keg in kc
11-28-2005, 02:16 AM
It doesn't count since we did it without Ty Law.

beer bacon
11-28-2005, 02:31 AM
Has he written a positive article about the Chiefs all year? When was the last time he wrote an article without a negative spin? Whitlock should stick to ratting out his friends via mass media.

Earthling
11-28-2005, 02:41 AM
Yep...Just as I expected; the Chiefs had little or nothing to do with their win. :rolleyes:

keg in kc
11-28-2005, 02:43 AM
Don't forget, kids:

We may have won on the scoreboard, but we lost in every way that really counts.

Spicy McHaggis
11-28-2005, 02:47 AM
The Chargers and Donkey's have caught a lot of teams on a down slope too. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe Whitlock needs to check out the Zoloft for Everything thread.

Bob Dole
11-28-2005, 03:15 AM
Yep...Just as I expected; the Chiefs had little or nothing to do with their win. :rolleyes:

Exactly. Larry Johnson's power had absolutely nothing to do with Bruschi missing those tackles. He's just not the same sure tackler he once was.

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 03:30 AM
always annoying when a sports writer tries their best to discredit a teams win.

beer bacon
11-28-2005, 03:35 AM
always annoying when a sports writer tries their best to discredit a teams win.

That is basically Whitlock's gig here in KC. He is basically the staff writer assigned to stir up controversy.

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 03:38 AM
That is basically Whitlock's gig here in KC. He is basically the staff writer with the duty to stir up controversy.

i suppose every city has a couple. i saw the game, you played very well and deserved the win. show up next week the way you did today and i'll be in for an awfully fun sunday

CoMoChief
11-28-2005, 03:40 AM
"Belichick should put Bruschi on the bench and switch to a 4-3."

Yeah ok Fatlock, how bout you just give Belichick a call and tell him exactly that and see what he tells ya. That seriously might be the dumbest thing I've heard come out of Fatlock's mouth in quite some time.

beer bacon
11-28-2005, 03:41 AM
"Belichick should put Bruschi on the bench and switch to a 4-3."

Yeah ok Fatlock, how bout you just give Belichick a call and tell him exactly that and see what he tells ya. That seriously might be the dumbest thing I've heard come out of Fatlock's mouth in quite some time.

If Belichick really wants to turn things around he needs to bench Tom Terrible, and then give a certain Jeff George a call.

the Talking Can
11-28-2005, 05:17 AM
Just to be clear: our D had nothing to do with those 4 ints?

Brady throws 4 ints every week, because he's "trying so hard."

ChiefFripp
11-28-2005, 05:38 AM
I don't recall ever reading an informative Whitlock article ...ever!

Deberg_1990
11-28-2005, 06:05 AM
OK guys, ill admit...Im really Jason Whitlock. Surprise!

Amnorix
11-28-2005, 06:44 AM
:shrug: The Pats aren't what they were the last couple years, but no win in the NFL is easy, and you can only play the teams on your schedule. You guys are whatever you are, 7-4 or whatever, so that says something.

The main thing it says is that you're in a tight race for a wild card spot, with an outside chance at winning the AFC West, but you need to take care of business against a tough schedule the rest of the way.

Bob Dole
11-28-2005, 07:03 AM
Sorry Greg Wesley, but Brady’s errors were unforced. Tom Terrific repeatedly threw high.

Bob Dole also takes exception with this "observation."

On at least two on the picks, Bob Dole rewound and the throws were high to avoid being batted down by our defensive linemen.

jjjayb
11-28-2005, 07:09 AM
Belichick should put Bruschi on the bench and switch to a 4-3

Sure thing Fatlock. Let's just have him bench their leading tackler since he's been back. They'd be much better off putting Beisel in for him. :rolleyes:

funk monkey
11-28-2005, 07:23 AM
yea but we still own!!!

Trent Green fan
11-28-2005, 07:26 AM
Yeah, we freaking own!

Warrior5
11-28-2005, 07:54 AM
No surprise (again). So what.

If I were DV, I'd hand out copies of it to every Chief tomorrow.

jspchief
11-28-2005, 07:59 AM
It's not like what he's saying is false. I'm not sure why he thinks that revelation is worthy of print though. Surely people aren't mistaking this for the quality of win that it would have been a year or two ago.

We beat a mediocre team. If we had played that team in NE, I wonder if we would have beat them. I kind of doubt it.

Rausch
11-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Good teams are supposed to beat bad teams.

The Pats were 6-4, a winning team.

We didn't beat a bad team, or a .500 team, we beat a winning team.

Chieftain58
11-28-2005, 08:24 AM
This guy would be selling hamburgers at McDonalds if he didn't stir up controversy!

Extra Point
11-28-2005, 08:31 AM
This guy would be selling hamburgers at McDonalds if he didn't stir up controversy!

He'd only eat up the hope of any profits, and chew the manager's a$$ for not giving him his job.

phisherman
11-28-2005, 08:32 AM
typical post-win fatlock column...if we beat denver this week, it'll be because of anything other than us being a good team

bp

stevieray
11-28-2005, 08:40 AM
typical post-win fatlock column...if we beat denver this week, it'll be because of anything other than us being a good team

bp

exactly. it's boring.

Lzen
11-28-2005, 08:42 AM
Yeah, we freaking own!

Isn't there a rule about not using players' names for a handle?

morphius
11-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Bob Dole also takes exception with this "observation."

On at least two on the picks, Bob Dole rewound and the throws were high to avoid being batted down by our defensive linemen.
And I believe a couple of them were high because there were Defensive players in front of the receiver so he had to try to get over the player.

KCTitus
11-28-2005, 08:53 AM
...A realistic perspective on the Chiefs’ 26-16 victory in no way minimizes their accomplishment...

LOL...except the next 500 words does just that. Nice work Jason...it's almost Proctor-esque.

TRR
11-28-2005, 09:07 AM
There's definitely more I disagree with in this article than I agree with.

Brady threw high on several occasions because he was being pressured. When he wasn't being pressured, our D Line got their hands up, and forced him to throw high.

bobbything
11-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Be honest, KC beat a down team
A down team that's still going to win their division and make the playoffs.

Phobia
11-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Isn't there a rule about not using players' names for a handle?

Yes, thanks. Good catch.

RINGLEADER
11-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Coming next week: Sure, we beat the Broncos, but we always do that at Arrowhead and anyway Denver was due for a down game...