PDA

View Full Version : The Implications of the Return of Shawn Barber.

Rain Man
11-28-2005, 08:18 AM
What do you think? Poll coming.

Edubs
11-28-2005, 08:31 AM
He will add no impact this season. If he does......gravy. I would love to see him come back and make a serious impact next year though.

nascher
11-28-2005, 08:45 AM
He plays ST and maybe little in 3-4 formations like Fox early in the Season.

the Talking Can
11-28-2005, 08:45 AM
coming off a knee injury I wouldn't expect much...next year he'll be hi-quality depth or maybe allow us to play some 3-4 with Bell inside

ChiefsFan4Life
11-28-2005, 08:49 AM
He just adds a penalty on special teams. ;)

PastorMikH
11-28-2005, 08:54 AM
I'd say right now he adds depth. Given time, he might beat Bell out of his starting spot - which shouldn't be too hard to do, sad to say.

jspchief
11-28-2005, 09:24 AM
My hope is he shows enough that we decide to skip the big pay raise Bell is due next year. As much as I'm not a Barber fan, I've become less of a Bell fan.

Mr. Laz
11-28-2005, 09:33 AM
didn't we just see Bell get his first sack on tom brady because of barber?

first time i recall seeing him lineup at DE

Rain Man
11-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Barber was on the field on defense? I thought he only played on special teams.

HemiEd
11-28-2005, 09:40 AM
didn't we just see Bell get his first sack on tom brady because of barber?

first time i recall seeing him lineup at DE

Yep, it even threw the announcers for a loop. They had to stutter and stammer for a second.

royr17
11-28-2005, 10:17 AM
Actually there is a clause in Bell's contract after this season that if he got injured or failed to produce that he could be cut with no cap hit at all.

StcChief
11-28-2005, 10:19 AM
3-4 more of an option now.

Iowanian
11-28-2005, 10:20 AM
That can't be true III, if he had a signing bonus, instead of being prorated, it'd all go on next year's cap, unless he was cut after June 1.

Mr. Laz
11-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Actually there is a clause in Bell's contract after this season that if he got injured or failed to produce that he could be cut with no cap hit at all.
i think your a little confused on the subject.

I believe the chiefs did tier the signing bonus to reduce the cap hit of Bell next year if they cut him. But there's no such thing as a clause that allows for no cap hit.

royr17
11-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Well whatever, I just know that when he signed that they said something along them lines on the radio about it.

jspchief
11-28-2005, 10:36 AM
That can't be true III, if he had a signing bonus, instead of being prorated, it'd all go on next year's cap, unless he was cut after June 1.III is right...kind of.

The contract was structured so that if Bell flopped this year, the cap hit would be minimal to cut him prior to March of '06. Basically he only made about 3 million in '05, and is set to get a large roster bonus putting him over 5 million for '06. CP really did a good job getting a "trial" contract for Bell. I wouldn't be suprised at all to see him on the spring cut list.

BigChiefFan
11-28-2005, 11:43 AM
It's nice to actually have some quality depth at the LBing position. It's been a long time since that has happened.

Garcia Bronco
11-28-2005, 11:45 AM
For Barber to return...one would contend that he'd been there.

BigChiefFan
11-28-2005, 11:47 AM
For Barber to return...one would contend that he'd been there.
Pissing up a rope again, Garcia?

Dave Lane
11-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Personally I hope they cut him. Useless baggage at this point. He did get a block in the back so maybe he's learning from Scanlon.

Dave

jspchief
11-28-2005, 11:55 AM
For Barber to return...one would contend that he'd been there.He was on our active roster, then went off the active roster due to injury, and has now returned.

Is that hard for you to comprehend?

Speaking of linebackers, how's DJ Williams doing this year? Glass house.

Garcia Bronco
11-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Pissing up a rope again, Garcia?

I'm not familier with that phrase. What happens when somebody does that up a rope?

BigChiefFan
11-28-2005, 11:57 AM
I'm not familier with that phrase. What happens when somebody does that up a rope?Try it and see. :p

Garcia Bronco
11-28-2005, 12:08 PM
He was on our active roster, then went off the active roster due to injury, and has now returned.

Is that hard for you to comprehend?

Speaking of linebackers, how's DJ Williams doing this year? Glass house.

And I'm saying it doesn't matter if he does return.

DJ is doing great at the strong side of the field..I wish he still the WIL...but what can you do.

jspchief
11-28-2005, 12:16 PM
And I'm saying it doesn't matter if he does return.

DJ is doing great at the strong side of the field..I wish he still the WIL...but what can you do.Why would it not matter if you got a starting LB back from injury? At the very least, it provides quality depth which is significant because we've lost two of our young back-ups to injury. It's not like anyone is proclaiming him to be the catalyst to the Superbowl. We're simply discussing what the addition of another starter level LB will have on our defense.

If it was some back-handed attempt at smack, it's pretty lame considering your LB of the future has 27 tackles on the year.

sedated
11-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Barber was on the field on defense?

I say the same thing about Bell every week

sedated
11-28-2005, 01:02 PM
The contract was structured so that if Bell flopped this year, the cap hit would be minimal to cut him prior to March of '06.

I thought that was only contingent on him getting injured.

Although, his arthritic shoulders could be why he is playing like a p*ssy, so it may be an issue of semantics.

BigChiefFan
11-28-2005, 01:07 PM
I say the same thing about Bell every week
Bell's numbers might not reflect it, but our LBing group is head and shoulders better than last year's guys and I believe Bell has something to do with that.

jspchief
11-28-2005, 01:20 PM
I thought that was only contingent on him getting injured.

It's not contingent on anything. It's just a contract that is structured in a way that Bell doesn't make his big FA money until the second year of the contract.

If we keep him in 2006, his base jumps from 540k to 2.7m and he gets a big roster bonus. If we cut him, we are only responsible for the bonus paid so far which I believe was only 2m.

The team will have to choose in early March of '06 whether to keep him and pay out the big roster bonus, or cut him and take a cap hit for the remaining 6/7 of his initial bonus (which would be 1.7m if 2m is the correct initial signing bonus).