PDA

View Full Version : Don't Look Now...Chiefs Defense Now Ranks

RINGLEADER
11-28-2005, 09:10 AM
23rd in yardage and 21st in scoring. We remain 5th in rushing yardage allowed.

We've slowly been climbing in both total yards and scoring categories each week and if you take away the garbage time yards from the Jets and Dolphins games our yardage stats would have us in the middle of the pack.

Since the bye the Chiefs are a top ten defense...but the real test will be the next four weeks when we face three top ten offenses and one that is ranked 13th.

KChiefsQT
11-28-2005, 09:13 AM
It's put up or shut up time. I'm excited. Everygame through week 17 is a playoff game for us. :)

robot monster
11-28-2005, 09:19 AM
There is a big difference between our D before the bye week and after.

I also think there is more trash yardage in there than is evident, like yesterday when we were up by several scores and the secondary backed off way off to insulate against the big play, giving up chunks of yardage in he passing game again.

phxchief
11-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Don't forget to take our special teams/INT returns in your rankings.

We've had a couple of them against us. That's not on the D.

nascher
11-28-2005, 09:28 AM
+ takeaways way up from last season.

turnover margain also.

Seek
11-28-2005, 11:04 AM
You know what is said. We have played some pretty potetent offenses. There are teams wit defenses ranked higher that don't face really any offensive teams. I mean all the talk about the Bears Defense. Who have they really faced that can put up numbers on them. the Struggling, Lions, Packers and Vikings. Seriously, what is the strength of their offense.

The cake walk offenses that we have faced, we shut down.

plbrdude
11-28-2005, 11:14 AM
i'll bet gunther is salivating at this run of games coming up

royr17
11-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Anybody else notice how much better the defense has gotten since McCleon got removed as starter and Warfield is now the starter ???

It's gotten way better.

petegz28
11-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Anybody else notice how much better the defense has gotten since McCleon got removed as starter and Warfield is now the starter ???

It's gotten way better.

Bingo! We have played a lot tighter coverage with Warfield. Even when we zone.

Seek
11-28-2005, 11:54 AM

No not in zone. It is better but not a whole lot better.

Lzen
11-28-2005, 11:54 AM

Yep. Many of us on here knew that would make a difference. I think with Warfield we also zone less and blitz more. That is making a big difference. And, of course, the defense is really gelling. We knew it would take half the season for the defense to gel.

htismaqe
11-28-2005, 11:55 AM
One thing is certain -- Warfield is INFINITELY better at stopping the run and getting off blocks on the edge to break up screens...

Rausch
11-28-2005, 11:56 AM

It's gotten way better.

And warfield is a much better tackler as well.

CoMoChief
11-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Will Ryan Sims come back this week? We could really use him. I know it takes some time to get back into game shape, but does anyone thing he can come back this week against Denver and make a difference? Siavii just doesn't cut it for me.

htismaqe
11-28-2005, 12:04 PM
It sounds like there's a good chance we'll see Sims...

siberian khatru
11-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Since the bye the Chiefs are a top ten defense...but the real test will be the next four weeks when we face three top ten offenses and one that is ranked 13th.

Yep. I'm not making any conclusions until after the season. I THINK the D has improved; however, I don't know if it has improved enough.

We continue to play like this when facing good offenses, I will be suitably impressed. Until then, I remain agnostic.

Dunit35
11-28-2005, 12:07 PM
It would shock me if Sims did anything this game other than taking snaps.

Seek
11-28-2005, 12:24 PM
It would shock me if Sims did anything this game other than taking snaps.
Is that anything different than what Dalton or Siavii are doing right now. Anything is an improvement over the production of our D Tackles right now.

KChiefs1
11-28-2005, 12:37 PM
I don't need to see the numbers...any fool watching the games could tell you the Chiefs defense is infinitely better than it was all of last season.

It's the offense that still scares me....

Seek
11-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Okay, going with the same thread comparing this years Bears to the 85 Bears. Since Warfield Returned, what offensive power house have we shut down.

The only two noteables are Oakland and the Pats. While neither of those are very high.

2bikemike
11-28-2005, 12:43 PM
I don't need to see the numbers...any fool watching the games could tell you the Chiefs defense is infinitely better than it was all of last season.

It's the offense that still scares me....

My thoughts exactly. I am afraid we have an ascending defense and a decending offense. We made need an infusion of offensive talent next year especially across the O-line.

htismaqe
11-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Is that anything different than what Dalton or Siavii are doing right now. Anything is an improvement over the production of our D Tackles right now.

Yep.

Bob Dole
11-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Okay, going with the same thread comparing this years Bears to the 85 Bears. Since Warfield Returned, what offensive power house have we shut down.

The only two noteables are Oakland and the Pats. While neither of those are very high.

New England is 11th after yesterday, so was probably Top 10 before the game. Brady leads the league in passing yards with 3030.

Bob Dole doesn't know why everyone keeps acting like the Patriots offense suck.

Oh wait...it's because we actually handled them. Nevermind.

Seek
11-28-2005, 12:56 PM
New England is 11th after yesterday, so was probably Top 10 before the game. Brady leads the league in passing yards with 3030.

Bob Dole doesn't know why everyone keeps acting like the Patriots offense suck.

Oh wait...it's because we actually handled them. Nevermind.

but they are like 21st running the ball.

Plus they were missing their 1st, and 2nd string running backs, their starting TE, and #2 receiver.

stevieray
11-28-2005, 01:07 PM

Plus they were missing their 1st, and 2nd string running backs, their starting TE, and #2 receiver.

so other teams get a pass when they lose due to injured players, yet we don't desrve credit for winning without our injured players?

Seek
11-28-2005, 01:21 PM
so other teams get a pass when they lose due to injured players, yet we don't desrve credit for winning without our injured players?

I am just saying. We didn't beat the same offense that gave them their ranking. Just like the team we beat yesterday is not the same team who won the superbowl.

And we didn't beat a team worth note without our injured players. Yesterday was the first team we beat with a winning record. the only other team we that you could even consider was Washington, who had a winning record at the time we beat them, but is now under .500.

stevieray
11-28-2005, 01:29 PM
I am just saying. We didn't beat the same offense that gave them their ranking. Just like the team we beat yesterday is not the same team who won the superbowl.

And we didn't beat a team worth note without our injured players. Yesterday was the first team we beat with a winning record. the only other team we that you could even consider was Washington, who had a winning record at the time we beat them, but is now under .500.

sorry, I forgot only other teams get credit when they play bad teams.

tk13
11-28-2005, 01:31 PM

They won two Super Bowls without much of a running game. The Pats are like the Eagles, one of those teams who is usually good enough offensively that they can get away from being balanced because Brady is so good.

That was the single most impressive thing to me about the game. Early in the year, we would not have stopped their passing game. Even when we played the Eagles and knew they were going to pass, they shredded us. There's still a lot of work to do, but in the last month we've held Randy Moss to one catch and Brady to 4 picks and less than 300 yards. That is remarkable improvement over the terrible pass D we had under Gun for a year and a half.

Mr. Laz
11-28-2005, 01:35 PM
huge difference in our defense was shown against the pats.

1st half - agressive and shut the pats down

2nd half - some kind of partial,prevent defense and there were receivers running free all over.

Seek
11-28-2005, 01:46 PM
sorry, I forgot only other teams get credit when they play bad teams.

What credit are you looking for. You are asking to receive credit for being a mediocre team. You want respect for beating up a 1-9 team or beating up a severly beat up 6-5 team. Okay we got credit for beating two teams we should have beat. We also got credit for losing to two teams that we shouldn't have. Philly and the Bills.

Beating up on a 1-9 team last week and beating up a severly depleted 6-5 team, means nothig if we lose Sunday against Denver, an actual team who has more wins combined than the last two teams we have played.

You can have all the credit you want for beating up the Patriots. Being Mediocre is not enough for me.

Skip Towne
11-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Why does anyone even bother to keep track of yardage allowed? It means absolutely nothing. Points allowed are all that count. During a game last year, Bettis had three carries for 3 TD's and covered 5 yards. Man, he really got shut down. Who cares if a team runs up and down the field if they never score?

stevieray
11-28-2005, 02:04 PM
What credit are you looking for. You are asking to receive credit for being a mediocre team. You want respect for beating up a 1-9 team or beating up a severly beat up 6-5 team. Okay we got credit for beating two teams we should have beat. We also got credit for losing to two teams that we shouldn't have. Philly and the Bills.

Beating up on a 1-9 team last week and beating up a severly depleted 6-5 team, means nothig if we lose Sunday against Denver, an actual team who has more wins combined than the last two teams we have played.

You can have all the credit you want for beating up the Patriots. Being Mediocre is not enough for me.

Mediocre? I thought our record was 7-4. 7-4 without Warfield and Welborn first four games, Sims out, roaf out 6 of 10 games. Surtain hurt, Parker hurt. Priest gone. We haven't played full strength of roster since game one.

Shouldn't have..? beating one bad team makes us legitimate, yet beathing another is irrelevant?

BigRedChief
11-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Mediocre? I thought our record was 7-4. 7-4 without Warfield and Welborn first four games, Sims out, roaf out 6 of 10 games. Surtain hurt, Parker hurt. Priest gone. We haven't played full strength of roster since game one.

Shouldn't have..? beating one bad team makes us legitimate, yet beathing another is irrelevant?

Moot point after next week. Either we beat the Donks and prove we are worthy or thats the season.

Mile High Mania
11-28-2005, 02:11 PM
I think KC has a strong team despite the injuries and issues they've had this season, there is legit reason to fear them - esp at Arrowhead. I do like to point out though, that KC has only beaten 1 team that currently has a winning record... New England.

stevieray
11-28-2005, 02:13 PM
Moot point after next week. Either we beat the Donks and prove we are worthy or thats the season.

regardless, being 7-4 with the schedule and injuries is legitmate.

Mr. Laz
11-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Why does anyone even bother to keep track of yardage allowed? It means absolutely nothing. Points allowed are all that count. During a game last year, Bettis had three carries for 3 TD's and covered 5 yards. Man, he really got shut down. Who cares if a team runs up and down the field if they never score?
because yards are a good indicator

if a defense is allowing teams to run up and down the field they will usually start giving up the points as well.

Seek
11-28-2005, 02:40 PM

Yes, mediocre. We haven't beat a team with a winning record until yesterday. Who was has more injuries than we do, since Day one.

If you are proud of our 6-2 record against teams (who also faced injuries) and are all below .500 a great team, you are kidding yourself.

We are 1-0 against a team just over .500.

We are 0-2 against teams who beat many good teams to be over .500. Who have also faced injuries, Hold outs, or suspensions.

I would say we are very mediocre, until we beat a team who has earned the right to play in the play offs and we will find out the truth in the next five weeks cause everyone left, is above .500.

beer bacon
11-28-2005, 03:12 PM

I have already pointed this out in other threads, but the Pats have been running the ball better with Pass and Evans then they did all season with Dillon and Faulk.

With Dillon out the Pats have been averaging roughly around 100 yards rushing a game, or 20 more then they were with Dillon starting. Dillon has averaged 3.5 ypc this year and Faulk has averaged 2 ypc. Pass on the other hand is averaging 4.9, and Evans is averaging 4.3.

stevieray
11-28-2005, 03:13 PM
Yes, mediocre. We haven't beat a team with a winning record until yesterday. Who was has more injuries than we do, since Day one.

If you are proud of our 6-2 record against teams (who also faced injuries) and are all below .500 a great team, you are kidding yourself.

We are 1-0 against a team just over .500.

We are 0-2 against teams who beat many good teams to be over .500. Who have also faced injuries, Hold outs, or suspensions.

I would say we are very mediocre, until we beat a team who has earned the right to play in the play offs and we will find out the truth in the next five weeks cause everyone left, is above .500.

Take away a starting LT, DT, RT, CB, WR, or RB from any top team and 7-4 at this point is impressive, especially when coupled with multiple two game road stretches.

Indy has benefited from an easy schedule, as has cincy and the jags. Are they legitimate?

you say that beating bad teams don't make us legitimate, yet Philly and Buffalo are bad teams and we were above five hundred when they beat us.. are they they legitimate?

Skip Towne
11-28-2005, 03:16 PM
because yards are a good indicator

if a defense is allowing teams to run up and down the field they will usually start giving up the points as well.
Sometimes it is a good indicator and sometimes it isn't. Maybe we should keep track of gametime temperature. The same could be said about it.

Seek
11-29-2005, 07:38 AM
Take away a starting LT, DT, RT, CB, WR, or RB from any top team and 7-4 at this point is impressive, especially when coupled with multiple two game road stretches.

Indy has benefited from an easy schedule, as has cincy and the jags. Are they legitimate?

you say that beating bad teams don't make us legitimate, yet Philly and Buffalo are bad teams and we were above five hundred when they beat us.. are they they legitimate?

Okay. I guess beating bad teams but losing to good teams makes us one of the best teams in the league.

Lzen
11-29-2005, 07:45 AM

Yep, that's exactly it. Too many Whitlock worshippers around here. :rolleyes:

RINGLEADER
11-29-2005, 07:55 AM
Don't forget to take our special teams/INT returns in your rankings.

We've had a couple of them against us. That's not on the D.

So true.

Factoring in the INT return from Philly and the kickoff return from Houston leaves us ranked 14th in points allowed at 19.6 ppg.

(On Edit: Then again, I'm not factoring in all the returns committed against other teams either nor do I care enough to go figure out where we'd rank if such was taken into account...but your point is still valid).

patteeu
11-29-2005, 08:40 AM
I think KC has a strong team despite the injuries and issues they've had this season, there is legit reason to fear them - esp at Arrowhead. I do like to point out though, that KC has only beaten 1 team that currently has a winning record... New England.

That's because when we do beat a winning team, they go into an inevitable death spiral. New England is now scheduled for a big crash. Next up is Denver. :p