PDA

View Full Version : Mariucci fired

cmh6476
11-28-2005, 10:06 AM
not much of a surprise there, just more competition for us if vermeil leaves after this season...

wasi
11-28-2005, 10:16 AM
I don't want to see him as the Chiefs coach, give the job to AS!

Brock
11-28-2005, 10:16 AM
That there is a coach's graveyard.

Phobia
11-28-2005, 10:17 AM
They fired the wrong guy.

Bob Dole
11-28-2005, 10:17 AM

Funny ****ing Canuck.

DaKCMan AP
11-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Mooch is a good coach. I wouldn't mind him being considered as Vermeil's successor.

the Talking Can
11-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Harrington fired him, essentially.

nascher
11-28-2005, 10:21 AM
no he has fired himself.

dirk digler
11-28-2005, 10:22 AM

Yep. How Matt Millen doesn't get shit canned is screwed up.

FringeNC
11-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Mooch is a good coach. I wouldn't mind him being considered as Vermeil's successor.

I don't think we can mess with the offense. We have to hire another Coryell disciple, not a dedicated WCO guy.

jspchief
11-28-2005, 10:25 AM
If only they could get a receiver, things would be so much better in Detroit.

Millen is an idiot.

cmh6476
11-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Yep. How Matt Millen doesn't get shit canned is screwed up.

detroit might not be a bad destination for ron wolf :hmmm:

chagrin
11-28-2005, 10:30 AM

Amen

KCChiefsFan88

No more 49er-rejects

Resist the urge Carl :cuss:

Mr. Laz
detroit might not be a bad destination for ron wolf :hmmm:
kansas city might not be a bad destination for ron Wolf :hmmm:

BigChiefFan
11-28-2005, 10:33 AM
I don't think we can mess with the offense. We have to hire another Coryell disciple, not a dedicated WCO guy.
Agreed. I think Mariucci is a pretty good coach, but he's a west coast offense coach and some are losing sight of that fact.

Demonpenz
11-28-2005, 10:33 AM
The lions are a disgrace. Millen will probably pay david boston 10 mil to play there next year

Rain Man
11-28-2005, 10:34 AM

They probably fired Millen, but his reading comprehension is too poor to distinguish Mil-len from Mar-i-ucci.

Raiderhader
11-28-2005, 10:35 AM
No more 49er-rejects

Resist the urge Carl :cuss:

I don't consider Mooch a 49er reject. He was fired in San Fran just as the team was showing signs of turning the corner.

Twice now, he has found himself employeed by incompitent organizations.

cmh6476
11-28-2005, 10:40 AM
They probably fired Millen, but his reading comprehension is too poor to distinguish Mil-len from Mar-i-ucci.
oh no you didnt just question my reading comprehension :snap: :mad:

cmh6476
11-28-2005, 10:41 AM
kansas city might not be a bad destination for ron Wolf :hmmm:like the Hunt's would ever get rid of carl :|

jAZ
11-28-2005, 10:43 AM
No kidding.

I'm not a huge Mooch fan, but he's a decent coach, IMO. Who did Matt Millen blow to keep his job?

Rain Man
11-28-2005, 10:47 AM
oh no you didnt just question my reading comprehension :snap: :mad:

Oh. The management team here at Rain Man Enterprises apologizes for any misunderstanding. I was envisioning Millen reading the formal letter of dismissal and being unable to distinguish his own name from Mariucci's.

Please accept our heartfelt apologies and this coupon for a free hot dog at your nearest 7-11.

Molitoth
11-28-2005, 10:52 AM
I've been a Detroit Lions fan for a long time. Millen is the biggest pos in football today.

Dartgod
11-28-2005, 10:54 AM
I've been a Detroit Lions fan for a long time. Millen is the biggest pos in football today.What? Did A L Davis die?

cmh6476
11-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Oh. The management team here at Rain Man Enterprises apologizes for any misunderstanding. I was envisioning Millen reading the formal letter of dismissal and being unable to distinguish his own name from Mariucci's.

Please accept our heartfelt apologies and this coupon for a free hot dog at your nearest 7-11.

kickass! :rockon:

Brock
11-28-2005, 10:59 AM
I've been a Detroit Lions fan for a long time. Millen is the biggest pos in football today.

I don't understand why anyone is a fan of the Detroit Lions, let alone for a long time.

cmh6476
11-28-2005, 11:09 AM
I don't understand why anyone is a fan of the Detroit Lions, let alone for a long time.

prolly the same reason ive been a royals fan for a long time :(

Saulbadguy
11-28-2005, 11:39 AM
I like Mooch.

DaneMcCloud
11-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Mariucci will be the next coach of Michigan State. He and Tom Izzo are best friends, and John L. Smith is on his way out.

Garcia Bronco
11-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Why do people keep saying Mooch is a good coach? I'm looking at the head coach resume and it says he's been fired twice for crappy play of NFL level talent. Sounds like a bad coach to me.

Brock
11-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Why do people keep saying Mooch is a good coach? I'm looking at the head coach resume and it says he's been fired twice for crappy play of NFL level talent. Sounds like a bad coach to me.

Just a guess, but it may be because he's won playoff games. Explain to me why Marty Schottenheimer is a good coach.

Cormac
11-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Mooch would be my #1 choice to succeed DV. I can't believe he was fired mid-season. His problem might be that he is hard to get on with in the FO. That was the reason he was fired in SF. Why else would they kick him out mid-season.

Anyway, he did a phenomenal job in SF with the biggest salary cap reclaimation project in history.

Changing to the WCO might be a big problem for our personnel, but other than that, I'd take him in a heartbeat. There's no chance though, cos he has no CP connections (that I know of).

Fried Meat Ball!
11-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Here's the latest from the Associated Press:

DETROIT (AP) — The disappointing Detroit Lions fired coach Steve Mariucci and some of his assistants on Monday, a team official told The Associated Press.
After Detroit lost 27-7 to the Atlanta Falcons on Thanksgiving to fall to 4-7, reports swirled that the team was considering firing Mariucci. When Mariucci was not let go over the weekend, some thought his job was safe for the final five games of the regular season.
The Lions called an afternoon news conference that will feature team president Matt Millen.
Mariucci and the assistants were fired late Monday morning, said the team official, who spoke with the AP on the condition of anonymity because the team had not yet made the official announcement.
The Lions have lost four of five games since a solid start put them atop the NFC North with the Chicago Bears. The team has collapsed on and off the field with players failing to produce and some bickering with one another and questioning the coaches’ game plans.
Mariucci’s record with the Lions was 15-28. His hiring was hailed by fans and media alike, but he was not able to turn around a team that has won one playoff game since 1957.
Mariucci has more than two years remaining on the $25 million contract he signed in 2003. The Michigan native came to the Lions from San Francisco, where he was 60-43 over six seasons.
Mariucci was cut some slack in the past because the team he inherited was crafted by Millen, but expectations were high heading into his third season.
“I think we need to (make the playoffs). We want to, and we’re going to make it happen,” Mariucci said before the season. “If we win 10 or 11 ballgames and make the playoffs, it would make us happy and make the fans happy.”
Millen hired both Mariucci and his predecessor, Marty Mornhinweg, and drafted or signed most of the players currently on the Lions — and Detroit is an NFL-worst 20-55 since 2001. Millen, a former NFL linebacker and TV analyst was given a five-year extension before this season.

Hoover
11-28-2005, 12:12 PM
Mariucci coached Tony Gonzalez in College

Hmmmmmmmmmm

I'm in the Al Saunders Camp. Keep the same O and Gunther so we don't have to learn new plays and crap.

Hoover
11-28-2005, 12:14 PM
I heard Dick Juron will be HC for the rest of the season and maybe even beyond. How Dumb.

Mr. Laz
11-28-2005, 12:15 PM
he did a pretty good job in San fran taking a team being stripped down, in salary cap hell, to the playoff 2/3 times.

Garcia Bronco
11-28-2005, 12:31 PM
he did a pretty good job in San fran taking a team being stripped down, in salary cap hell, to the playoff 2/3 times.

In 97 and 98 he had SY and a great defense. Made the playoffs again in 01(1 and done) and 02(won one). As an HC he's 3 and 4. They weren't in salary cap hell in 97 and 98...and played in what has been the weakest divison in football for years...Rams, Atl, Saints, and the 9ers before realignment. The Rams got good for a season and so did Atlanta...hell even the saints made the post season....but generally weak teams.

If you guys want to hire Mooch...go for...but it won't stop the Donkeys

Brock
11-28-2005, 12:38 PM
If you guys want to hire Mooch...go for...but it won't stop the Donkeys

No, usually all that takes is a Tony Dungy type.

Garcia Bronco
11-28-2005, 12:40 PM
No, usually all that takes is a Tony Dungy type.

LOL...you mean Peyton Manning...Dungy doesn't run that offense....hell the OC doesn't even run that offense.

Brock
11-28-2005, 12:42 PM
LOL...you mean Peyton Manning...Dungy doesn't run that offense....hell the OC doesn't even run that offense.

Very similar to Mike Shanahan when he had Elway.

Rain Man
11-28-2005, 01:30 PM
I heard Dick Jauron will be HC for the rest of the season and maybe even beyond. How Dumb.

This is kind of surprising. I figured that Millen would pick a wide receiver to coach the team.

Ralphy Boy
11-28-2005, 01:30 PM
We're all gonna be pissed when Al Saunders becomes their next head coach and implements the same offense and ends up winning 4 Superbowls in a row making Harrington look like Joe Montana.

Actually it'll probably end up being Mike Martz and everyone can then hate the Lions and not even fill bad about it.

Frankie
11-28-2005, 01:37 PM
I totally agree. :thumb:

Frankie
11-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Mooch is a good coach. I wouldn't mind him being considered as Vermeil's successor.On Saunders' 'O' staff, maybe. Our HC, no.

Frankie
11-28-2005, 01:40 PM
kansas city might not be a bad destination for ron Wolf :hmmm:Agreed.

tk13
11-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Yeah but Dungy's defensive philosophy with them is to always play the pass, so they don't overrun those cutback runs and crash the ends so Jake can't bootleg... I think he plays a part in it.

But anyway, I don't know that Mariucci would be first on the list, but you could do worse. I don't think he was given a real fair shake in Detroit. Then again, I'm not sure who was the genius who picked 3 straight WR's in the first round. That Mike Williams pick looks really good with Ware, Merriman, and Derrick Johnson going right behind him...

Garcia Bronco
11-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Very similar to Mike Shanahan when he had Elway.

keep this in mind....Elway never played in a Super Bowl with Shanahan...and neither did Steve Young

Brock
11-28-2005, 01:55 PM
keep this in mind....Elway never played in a Super Bowl with Shanahan...and neither did Steve Young

Uhh.....okay. I don't think that's what you meant to say, but whatever.

Fox River
11-28-2005, 08:53 PM
The firing of the Mooch by Millen will not end up saving his job. Millen is gone after the season. I think that Green Bay frires Sherman after this season too. I think that the Mooch goes to the Packers. Mooch used to be on the coaching staff of the Packers when Holmgren was there in the Nineties before he took the job with the Niners. He grew up a Packer fan in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. This move would be one of the few moves that the Packers could make that might keep Brett from retiring. If Brett does retire which I think that there is a good chance of it happening, then Joey may come over from Detroit with Mooch.

Claynus
11-28-2005, 08:56 PM
You guys don't want Steve Mariucci in KC.

His playcalling is horribly conservative. You'd all hate him after 8 games.

Black Jack Savage
11-28-2005, 08:59 PM
I'd kill myself if we brought in a disciple of the WCO again. I f*ckin hate the WCO. Unless you have Jerry f*ckin Rice or TO busting slants for your ass you can't stretch the field enough w/ it.

Skip Towne
11-28-2005, 09:03 PM
You guys don't want Steve Mariucci in KC.

His playcalling is horribly conservative. You'd all hate him after 8 games.
We'll hate anybody after 8 games. It's the Planet way.

Claynus
11-28-2005, 09:04 PM
I'd kill myself if we brought in a disciple of the WCO again. I f*ckin hate the WCO. Unless you have Jerry f*ckin Rice or TO busting slants for your ass you can't stretch the field enough w/ it.

The WCO is fine. It has plenty of deep routes in it. Watch a Seahawks game or a Broncos game. It's a good offense, and I think it fits Tony G better.

Brock
11-28-2005, 09:06 PM
If Brett does retire which I think that there is a good chance of it happening, then Joey may come over from Detroit with Mooch.

Joey Harrington will be incredibly lucky if he finds a starting job anywhere. The guy simply cannot play.

Mecca
11-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Considering the Packers just drafted a QB that makes no sense at all. Harrington will latch on somewhere alot of teams need QB's and will take a chance.

KCChiefsMan
11-28-2005, 09:37 PM
ya how the hell is Matt Millen not fired? you draft WRs in the 1st round every freakin year, it's hard to build a complete team. It's not really that, but Millen hasn't made very many good off-season acquisitions. He'll be a head coach again in the NFL, but where????

Fox River
11-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Being a fan of the Packers, I would not say that they picked a quarterback in the last draft as much as I would say that they wasted a pick. Rodgers is not the answer. He barely beat out Nall for the backup to Brett. Detroit does not have a decent offensive line to protect Joey. Plummer had the same problem when he was in Zona. He had some above average receivers and okay backs, just no protection from the front five. He has been able to revive his career in Denver. I think the same can be said for Harrington. I would take him to replace Brett over what Green Bay has right now.

Simplex3
11-29-2005, 02:24 AM
They fired Mooch mid-season for one reason and one reason only: Psychology for their players. This season is shot to hell and they have a lot of early first round draft picks sitting around starting to question their own ability. By firing the HC the organization is telling the players "it's not your fault, it's the coaches".

Any Lions' player with less than 5 years of pro experience with at least two of those year somewhere else is ruined because of it.

Claynus
11-29-2005, 02:33 AM
Any Lions' player with less than 5 years of pro experience with at least two of those year somewhere else is ruined because of it.

Huh?