PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts on the Pats game

B_Ambuehl
11-28-2005, 11:38 AM
1. Honestly as I sat and watched the game I wasn't sure whether to be happy or pissed off. Happy knowing that what I was seeing is the way this football team was capable of playing and should've been playing all year around. Or pissed off knowing that it's probably too little too late this season.

2. This talk of offensive decline this year is bullshit. What it does show is how important the left tackle position is. In games that Roaf has played this year this offensive football team has been over 400 yards every single outing and has lost nothing off of last years offense. Yesterday was no different.

3. People bitching about bad play calling is like bitching about winning 1 million dollars when you had the chance to win 10 million. 26 points even with 2 dropped touchdowns by the all pro tight end. 450 yards total offense. No punts in the 1st half. 300+ yards passing and 120 yards for the leading rusher. Boy I can't wait until we get a "real" offensive football coach in here like Stoops or Edwards.

4. For the first time all year multiple players on this defensive football team actually covered some receivers and broke up some passes. I've watched a lot of New England football this year and you very rarely ever see Brady's passes broken up. Either he overthrows his receiver or they catch it. It was a nice change to see guys getting a hand in there and swatting away a couple of balls or deflecting them up in the air.

5. Overloading one side and bringing 5 while dropping 6 has been about the only consistently effective and consistent blitz package this year. I'd like to see more of that.

6. Warfield led the team in tackles again. I think that makes 4 out of the last 5 games that has happened. I don't think he has the quickness to be a real good cover corner but he's fairly long and can jump up and deflect a pass. In a perfect world I'd have him playing a safety or a nickel corner because he can sure tackle.

7. LJ easily could've had 150+ yards. He likes to cut everything back inside but there are times when he cuts things upfield too early. He missed a touchdown in the first half on a pitch to the right that he took inside for a 1 yard loss when the outside was wide open. Richardson was outside running all alone and threw up his arms in disgust. In the 2nd half, he cut a stretch to the left up inside that would've easily gone for 20+ yards if he takes it outside. He also appears to have become more relaxed and has lost some of the "angriness" when he runs. That's not necessarily a good thing.

8. Welbourn is still playing right tackle. As long as Black doesn't see the field I'm not gonna complain. Like i've said before, Welbourn can be a huge factor in the running game.

9. Wesley must've shut a lot of people up yesterday. With a player like him you gotta take the good with the bad. He'll make some mistakes mentally in downfield coverage but then he'll turn around and hit somebody and force a turnover.

htismaqe
11-28-2005, 11:43 AM
1. Honestly as I sat and watched the game I wasn't sure whether to be happy or pissed off. Happy knowing that what I was seeing is the way this football team was capable of playing and should've been playing all year around. Or pissed off knowing that it's probably too little too late this season.

2. This talk of offensive decline this year is bullshit. What it does show is how important the left tackle position is. In games that Roaf has played this year this offensive football team has been over 400 yards every single outing and has lost nothing off of last years offense. Yesterday was no different.

3. People bitching about bad play calling is like bitching about winning 1 million dollars when you had the chance to win 10 million. 26 points even with 2 dropped touchdowns by the all pro tight end. 450 yards total offense. No punts in the 1st half. 300+ yards passing and 120 yards for the leading rusher. Boy I can't wait until we get a "real" offensive football coach in here like Stoops or Edwards.

4. For the first time all year multiple players on this defensive football team actually covered some receivers and broke up some passes. I've watched a lot of New England football this year and you very rarely ever see Brady's passes broken up. Either he overthrows his receiver or they catch it. It was a nice change to see guys getting a hand in there and swatting away a couple of balls or deflecting them up in the air.

5. Overloading one side and bringing 5 while dropping 6 has been about the only consistently effective and consistent blitz package this year. I'd like to see more of that.

6. Warfield led the team in tackles again. I think that makes 4 out of the last 5 games that has happened. I don't think he has the quickness to be a real good cover corner but he's fairly long and can jump up and deflect a pass. In a perfect world I'd have him playing a safety or a nickel corner because he can sure tackle.

7. LJ easily could've had 150+ yards. He likes to cut everything back inside but there are times when he cuts things upfield too early. He missed a touchdown in the first half on a pitch to the right that he took inside for a 1 yard loss when the outside was wide open. Richardson was outside running all alone and threw up his arms in disgust. In the 2nd half, he cut a stretch to the left up inside that would've easily gone for 20+ yards if he takes it outside. He also appears to have become more relaxed and has lost some of the "angriness" when he runs. That's not necessarily a good thing.

8. Welbourn is still playing right tackle. As long as Black doesn't see the field I'm not gonna complain. Like i've said before, Welbourn can be a huge factor in the running game.

9. Wesley must've shut a lot of people up yesterday. With a player like him you gotta take the good with the bad. He'll make some mistakes mentally in downfield coverage but then he'll turn around and hit somebody and force a turnover.

A "real" offensive coach would find ways to protect his QB and generate points when his left tackle is injured and his best weapon is a 230-lb. bruiser that's faster than most WR's.

Your point #3 is considerably weak when you just spent #2 telling us that the problem with the offense was Willie Roaf. You basically said that our coaches are irrelevant. Willie Roaf is what makes the offense go.

BigChiefFan
11-28-2005, 11:46 AM
I don't agree with all of your points, but that was well-thought out thread. Nice job!

B_Ambuehl
11-28-2005, 11:59 AM
A "real" offensive coach would find ways to protect his QB and generate points when his left tackle is injured and his best weapon is a 230-lb. bruiser that's faster than most WR's.

How would he do that? Hmmm...let me think. Oh I know! He could keep a tight end to block. OH wait....what happened when he tried that??

He could also run things off play action couldn't he? But how well does play action work when you're down 14-3 against Buffalo and 21-0 ( or whatever) against San Diego??

Using the 230 lb bruiser.

How many yards did that 230 lb bruiser have at halftime of the Buffalo and San Diego games respectively?

Your point #3 is considerably weak when you just spent #2 telling us that the problem with the offense was Willie Roaf. You basically said that our coaches are irrelevant. Willie Roaf is what makes the offense go.

It's not so much that he makes the offense go but without a left tackle the offense can't go. That goes for any team. How many games did Roaf miss from 2001-2004? How much offense did KC have from 2001-2004?

htismaqe
11-28-2005, 12:14 PM
How would he do that? Hmmm...let me think. Oh I know! He could keep a tight end to block. OH wait....what happened when he tried that??

He could also run things off play action couldn't he? But how well does play action work when you're down 14-3 against Buffalo and 21-0 ( or whatever) against San Diego??

Using the 230 lb bruiser.

How many yards did that 230 lb bruiser have at halftime of the Buffalo and San Diego games respectively?

It's not so much that he makes the offense go but without a left tackle the offense can't go. That goes for any team. How many games did Roaf miss from 2001-2004? How much offense did KC have from 2001-2004?

How would he do that? Hmmm...let me think.

ANYTHING BUT SEVEN-STEP DROPS?

They could have run TE screens, jailbreak screens, quick slants, and fades, all of which require shorter drops.

As for using the 230-lb. bruiser, it's not about how many carries or yards he has. It's about not running a delay pass/fake reverse on 3rd and 1 when you have that 230-lb bruiser in the backfield.

Al Saunders called a GREAT game yesterday and that's part of the reason we won the way we did. He FAILED to call a similar game in Buffalo and you saw the result.

That's why Al Saunders should not be our next head coach - he's too inconsistent.

B_Ambuehl
11-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Dude quit grasping for straws. You obviously don't know what you're talking about. There were very few if any 7 step dropbacks called in any game this year that Roaf didn't start at left tackle. Don't you remember the Philly game?? Everybody calling for more 7 step dropbacks and less of the short stuff that you just said is key to winning?

Also go figure out the average gain on reverses and passes off the fake reverse this year. If it's less then one yard then you might have an argument for not running it and/or faking it at all.

jidar
11-28-2005, 12:22 PM
bitching about the OC who had the #1 offense over a 3 year period after his O drops to #7 for half the season is just dumb no matter how you slice it.

htismaqe
11-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Dude quit grasping for straws. You obviously don't know what you're talking about. There were very few if any 7 step dropbacks called in any game this year that Roaf didn't start at left tackle. Don't you remember the Philly game?? Everybody calling for more 7 step dropbacks and less of the short stuff that you just said is key to winning?

Also go figure out the average gain on reverses and passes off the fake reverse this year. If it's less then one yard then you might have an argument for not running it and/or faking it at all.

So the fact that everybody was calling for 7-step drops in the Philly game invalidates asking for anything but in the Buffalo game? Do you really believe the shit you write sometimes? For someone that prides themselves on details, you might wanna step back and think about that one.

It's called gametime adjustments. What worked or might have worked against Philly might not work against Buffalo and vice versa. Saunders has proven time-and-again that he struggles with them.

htismaqe
11-28-2005, 12:51 PM
bitching about the OC who had the #1 offense over a 3 year period after his O drops to #7 for half the season is just dumb no matter how you slice it.

Yep, he's had the #1 offense over a 3-year period. It's guaranteed he'll be a great head coach.