PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks get rare NFL admission of ruling errors

Joe Seahawk
11-28-2005, 08:55 PM
We usually get these after a loss.. It's nice to be able to overcome them. BOTH TD's by the Giants should not have been..

The NFL said touchdown catches made by Jeremy Shockey and Amani Toomer shouldn't have been ruled completions.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-seahawks-officialsmistakes&prov=ap&type=lgns

JBucc
11-28-2005, 08:58 PM
I didn't see the Shockey one, but the Toomer TD looked good to me from what I saw.

ZootedGranny
11-28-2005, 08:59 PM
On the Toomer one, it looked like his first foot started to drag out of bounds just as his second foot was touching the ground.

carlos3652
11-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Shockey's td was bull... he never got the second foot down...

Amnorix
11-28-2005, 09:01 PM
Didn't see either one. Great. I had the 'hawks in my office pool, and they didn't beat the spread, and, of course, I was one game out of the money.

*sigh*

Joe Seahawk
11-28-2005, 09:01 PM
On the Toomer one, it looked like his first foot started to come down out of bounds just as his second foot was touching the ground.

I think his first foot initially came down in bounds, but before he was able to get his second foot down the first one slid out of bounds.

ZootedGranny
11-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I agree. I was just about to edit my post saying his first foot was starting to drag out of bounds.

Joe Seahawk
11-28-2005, 09:10 PM
So, the score was really 21-6 if we assume they would have had to attempt FG's (both plays were on 3rd down)

21-12 in the unlikely event Feeley would have made them.. :D

morphius
11-28-2005, 09:16 PM
That Shockey one was a horrid call, I can't believe the ref blew such an easy call. It was obvious from one angle that second foot did not make it to the ground before he got slobber-knocked

jjjayb
11-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Admissions of errors aren't rare. They do it every monday. I didn't see the first touchdown but the second one was too close to overturn. Even you said "you think" his first foot slid out before the 2nd came down. No biggie, feely gave you the game back anyway.

morphius
11-28-2005, 09:53 PM
I agree with some of the others on the second call, that was damn tough. My thought when I saw it the third or forth time is that the foot may have come down for a second touch out of bounds before the second one made it down, but that was damn hard to see.

cdcox
11-28-2005, 09:59 PM
I thought Toomer's catch was a TD the first few times I saw it. Then, the last time I saw it, it looked like his first foot rolled over on to the out of bounds line before his second foot hit. I'd need to see it a few more times to be sure, but I bet that was what the reasoning was. It really sucks when the refs blow a replay call.

Nelson Muntz
11-29-2005, 05:11 AM
I thought Toomer's catch was a TD the first few times I saw it. Then, the last time I saw it, it looked like his first foot rolled over on to the out of bounds line before his second foot hit. I'd need to see it a few more times to be sure, but I bet that was what the reasoning was. It really sucks when the refs blow a replay call.

What really sucks is when the two refs watching the play sit there with their heads up their asses waiting for the other ref to make a call. I think that happened on the last touchdown but I can't remember. It may have been another game.

morphius
11-29-2005, 07:25 AM
What really sucks is when the two refs watching the play sit there with their heads up their asses waiting for the other ref to make a call. I think that happened on the last touchdown but I can't remember. It may have been another game.
I think in some of those cases one is looking at the ball while the others job is to watch the feet, so one is asking if he bobbled the ball and then calls TD if he thinks both feet were in.

grandllama
11-29-2005, 04:12 PM
Not so fast....

ESPN.com - NFL - NFL says refs didn't blow calls on Giants TDs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2241040&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines)

Sure-Oz
11-29-2005, 05:20 PM
wow and that doesn't do any good regardless if they say they were wrong or not.

Rain Man
11-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Doesn't the NFL send these letters to every team after every game?

morphius
11-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Doesn't the NFL send these letters to every team after every game?
I don't think so, I think the teams tell them they believe such and such call was wrong and they review it.

Joe Seahawk
11-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Not so fast....

ESPN.com - NFL - NFL says refs didn't blow calls on Giants TDs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2241040&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines)

"Our officiating department never discussed with the Seahawks the Amani Toomer touchdown reception, which was properly called. The Jeremy Shockey touchdown catch at the end of the first half was not overturned because the referee determined that there was insufficient visual evidence to reverse the call."

Holmgren's disclosure is being reviewed as a potential violation of league policy, which says that a coach is not allowed to publicly divulge confidential conversations with the officiating department, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported. Holmgren may be subject to a fine and his access to the officiating office could be restricted for a limited amount of time.

Huh??

So, Holmgren could get fined for divulging a confidential conversation that never took place? ROFL

morphius
11-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Huh??

So, Holmgren could get fined for divulging a confidential conversation that never took place? ROFL
Yeah, that was pretty funny.

Protecting the refs is so weak.

Nightwish
11-29-2005, 07:33 PM
Huh??

It says they never discussed those two touchdown calls with the Seahawks. It could be that there were officiating errors in the game to which the officiating office admitted, but that those errors didn't concern those particular touchdowns, and Holmgren simply misunderstood which calls they were talking about. But even that's a bit of a stretch.

Joe Seahawk
11-29-2005, 07:37 PM
What happened is an AP reporter took something Holmy said at his press conference and blew it out of proportion..

Here is the transcript of what Holmgren said when asked about the officiating:

"I had a quick conversation with the league and there were some mistakes that took place, which we felt at the time. But, I get excited about it just like any coach would, particularly if you think it cost you the ball game. But the fact is, itís a tough job. The officials have a tough job. They are honest guys doing the best they can. You would hope replay would help if everything functions properly. I would say 99 percent of the time it works and then there are a couple times where for whatever reason it just doesnít work."

Holmgren on the explanation he received for why the Jeremy Shockey TD was not overturned:

"They didnít have irrefutable evidence of that. Iím not in there looking in the thing and I donít know what pictures heís seeing. I know what my coaches are seeing. They are supposed to be seeing the same feeds that the officials are seeing. Itís hard. Itís hard, itís a bang, bang play. I thought the first one I donít think Jeremy (Shockey) had both feet on the ground when the ball came out. And then of course the other one that I couldnít challenge, but fortunately they buzzed it from upstairs on the one he caught and bobbled and then it had to come back in the overtime. That was a big play for us."

Holmgren on the Amani Toomer TD:

"I thought it was a great catch. He just made a phenomenal play. It was close, but on that one the coverage could have been better, you can put it that way."

How the writer came up with the story he printed is beyond me.. It will be interesting to see Mike Perriera on Total Acess tomorrow though..