View Full Version : Clayton on Lions HC Job - Some Chiefs Stuff

nychief
11-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Lions could seek defensive-minded coach
Clayton
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
Archive

Considering how poorly Lions president Matt Millen handled the firing of head coach Steve Mariucci, it might be tough to find a suitable replacement in 2006. The Lions will pay Mariucci $11.5 million in 2006 and 2007 not to coach, but the Lions have never been cheap. They are willing to pay top dollar.

Millen wants more of a disciplinarian than Mariucci, who can be a friend to the media and his players. The Lions have loads of attitude problems. They have a crisis at quarterback. Many of the offensive players didn't believe in Joey Harrington, but Millen does, so whoever takes this job might have to try to salvage Harrington's career. Mariucci seemed to be favoring Jeff Garcia after he convinced Millen to give him a one-year contract during the offseason.

The biggest challenge will be to motivate and sort out the rest of the offense. The Lions used first-round choices the past three years on wide receivers Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams, but they have all underachieved. Rogers obviously is on the way out. The team is trying to recoup $10 million of his $14 million signing bonus, so he doesn't figure to be with the team next year.

Whoever takes over must get more production on and off the field from Roy and Mike Williams. Roy has been slow coming off injuries over the past two seasons. Mike has been slow in getting comfortable with the routes.

Who are some of the candidates?:

Dick Jauron, interim coach, Detroit: Jauron would be considered if he can salvage three victories over the final five weeks. Jauron isn't considered a disciplinarian but he is a strong, quiet, steady boss. Players trust him. At Chicago, he always had a good feel for the locker room. He knew when to work the team hard or when to be soft. Millen made him no promises. It's his job for five games.

Mike Martz (St. Louis), Brian Billick (Baltimore) and Norv Turner (Oakland): They could be on Millen's list if they are let go. With a lot of changes coming, it's possible they would draw some consideration from Millen, who will be trying to sell his young, underachieving talent. All three are offensive coaches, and offense needs the most work.

Jim Bates, defensive coordinator, Green Bay: Bates is the kind of disciplinarian who could be a good fit. Bates was the interim coach in Miami last year and put his name on the short list of teams. Bates has done a good job with little talent in Green Bay just to make them a middle of the pack defense.

Tim Lewis, defensive coordinator, N.Y. Giants: After the slow start, the Giants' defense has come on and Lewis is a rising star among coaches. His schemes are aggressive and players respond to him.

Bob Bratkowski, offensive coordinator, Cincinnati: His work with Carson Palmer has made him a future head coaching prospect. Bratkowski has built the Bengals' offense from the beginnings of the Marvin Lewis era. He built a running game around Rudi Johnson. He managed the development of Palmer properly. Now, he's implementing a lot of no-huddle options for Palmer.

Donnie Henderson, defensive coordinator, N.Y. Jets: Henderson is fiery, which could appeal to Millen. He's aggressive in how he motivates the Jets' defense. Since taking over a couple of years ago, Henderson hasn't accepted anything less than full effort. He wants maximum performance and has been able to get that out of his unit. The Jets have played hard on defense despite the problems that they've had on offense.

Russ Grimm, offensive line coach, Pittsburgh: He could be a candidate for a couple of jobs; maybe in Houston and Detroit. He's like Millen in many ways. He's to the point and gets great execution from his players. Last year, he interviewed for the Bears' head coaching job. The former Washington Redskins "Hog" is all football, and he's disciplined. Millen might like that.

Jim Schwartz, defensive coordinator, Tennessee: He's one of the bright young minds in the league and is fiery along the sidelines. He's about as advanced in the technology of coaching as anyone in the league. He's has computer studies for everything. He's up to date on most trends and studies. Plus, he's willing to work with young players, which is important in the modern day salary cap era.

Sean Payton, assistant head coach, Cowboys: He was a top candidate for the Raiders' opening in 2004 and will be on the radar screen of several teams this season. Teams know he's worked with Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells, and that is a big plus. He's done a great job this year calling plays in helping Drew Bledsoe have a Pro Bowl season and getting the Cowboys into the playoff race. Parcells will highly recommend Payton for this job.

[B] Gregg Williams, defensive coordinator/assistant head coach, Washington: The Chiefs will be interested in him if Dick Vermeil retires. Williams is bright and is demanding. He runs one of the most aggressive blitz packages in football. Things didn't work out the first time for him as a head coach of the Bills, but he's learned a lot in preparation for his second chance. Working with Joe Gibbs for two years has helped.

Al Saunders, offensive coordinator, Kansas City: I still can't figure out why he doesn't get more of a look by more teams. Vermeil is going to recommend him as his replacement if he retires. Saunders was a head coach with the San Diego Chargers and he's strict. Plus, he runs the popular Air Coryell offense that works so well in Kansas City, St. Louis and other places.[B/]

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

A

Brock
11-29-2005, 07:59 PM
I'd be very interested in Gregg Williams.

milkman
11-29-2005, 08:05 PM
I'd be very interested in Gregg Williams.

I would also.

Where's Clayton getting this little tidbit from, I wonder, though?

Phobia
11-29-2005, 08:06 PM
I'd be very interested in Gregg Williams.MOhillbilly says Uncle Gregg won't coach in KC to save his family scrutiny.

Mecca
11-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Gregg Williams=good DC, horrible head coach.

Brock
11-29-2005, 08:12 PM
MOhillbilly says Uncle Gregg won't coach in KC to save his family scrutiny.

That's a good point, actually.

Brock
11-29-2005, 08:12 PM

That's what they said about Belichick.

C-Mac
11-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Why on earth anyone would want to hire Norv Turner as HC is beyond any organized football comprehension.

nychief
11-29-2005, 08:23 PM
That's a good point, actually.

I don't think that is a good point. Are you telling me that he would turn down a HC Job with a high profile team that will probably end up with 9 or 10 wins - just because his family will get attacked by that "vicious" KC media? Give me a break. The worst that would happen is freakin' Flannigan would write a column about a family charity picnic and then give an update about where Gary Thurman is nowadays.

Mosbonian
11-29-2005, 08:30 PM

I would agree....

But I would NOT want Greg Williams as the Head Coach of the Chief's.

mmaddog

morphius
11-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Why on earth anyone would want to hire Norv Turner as HC is beyond any organized football comprehension.
The GM wants better draft picks and a complete lacky?

Phobia
11-29-2005, 08:37 PM
I don't think that is a good point. Are you telling me that he would turn down a HC Job with a high profile team that will probably end up with 9 or 10 wins - just because his family will get attacked by that "vicious" KC media? Give me a break. The worst that would happen is freakin' Flannigan would write a column about a family charity picnic and then give an update about where Gary Thurman is nowadays.

I don't know, but the guy is pulling down 7 figures a year where he's at. He can write his ticket anywhere after the job he's done on the Skins D. He doesn't "need" the Chiefs to further his career so why take the risk?

nychief
11-29-2005, 08:45 PM
I don't know, but the guy is pulling down 7 figures a year where he's at. He can write his ticket anywhere after the job he's done on the Skins D. He doesn't "need" the Chiefs to further his career so why take the risk?

It is a head coaching job in the NFL. One of only 30. I think that is reason enough. Lamar Hunt is still a gold standard owner - it is a pretty attractive job.

Phobia
11-29-2005, 08:51 PM
32?

Yeah, but Gregg Williams isn't going to fall all over himself for the first head coaching job that comes along this time. He'll take his time and find the right situation because 2nd opportunities are hard to find in the NFL. 3rd chances are almost non-existent.

FringeNC
11-29-2005, 09:21 PM
I think Gregg Williams is a really good coach. It seems to me if Saunders doesn't get the job, CP will bring in a D guy with the understanding that our offense will remain the same (under a different OC, because Saunders of course wouldn't stay on).

I can't believe that CP would be foolish enough to allow our offensive system to change. I almost imagine Green has veto power over the new OC via his contract. I think Green has a very big cap number next year that will have to be renogiated, and if CP wants Green to finish his career out here, he will give him an OC that he likes.

Gregg Williams with a Coryell disciple as OC would certainly be acceptable to me.

Frankie
11-29-2005, 09:22 PM
That's what they said about Belichick.
That's what y'all are saying about Saunders.

nychief
11-29-2005, 09:24 PM
So would you rather have the Jets or Lions job? I dunno.

and, by the way, it will be a cold day hell before I recognize Jacksonville and the Panthers!

tk13
11-29-2005, 09:27 PM
So would you rather have the Jets or Lions job? I dunno.

and, by the way, it will be a cold day hell before I recognize Jacksonville and the Panthers!
Jets, easy. They're a playoff caliber team that's going to get a top 2-3 pick and an impact player. Kinda the "Tim Duncan" effect... have a bunch of injuries one year that tank your season, draft an impact player, come back healthy and be an even better playoff team.

nychief
11-29-2005, 09:35 PM
Jets, easy. They're a playoff caliber team that's going to get a top 2-3 pick and an impact player. Kinda the "Tim Duncan" effect... have a bunch of injuries one year that tank your season, draft an impact player, come back healthy and be an even better playoff team.

they are not a playoff caliber team - Pennington will be lucky if he ever plays again. They are not getting the top pick and even it the Leinhart they will be killed for a couple of years - no OL - Ty Law is being released after the season - curtis martin is looking more like Eddie George every game and Donnie Henderson might be gone with Herm...

Just a heads up.

tk13
11-29-2005, 09:47 PM
they are not a playoff caliber team - Pennington will be lucky if he ever plays again. They are not getting the top pick and even it the Leinhart they will be killed for a couple of years - no OL - Ty Law is being released after the season - curtis martin is looking more like Eddie George every game and Donnie Henderson might be gone with Herm...

Just a heads up.
Ehh, the distance between good and bad in the NFL is not that far. They were one FG away from being one of the best 4 teams in the NFL last year. I don't think they've really fallen off that far. People have said Curtis Martin is done for years and years now and he's still gonna put up 1000 yard seasons. Of course the O-line is gonna get you killed when you're missing your best players. They've got plenty of good defensive players to build around...

nychief
11-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Ehh, the distance between good and bad in the NFL is not that far. They were one FG away from being one of the best 4 teams in the NFL last year. I don't think they've really fallen off that far. People have said Curtis Martin is done for years and years now and he's still gonna put up 1000 yard seasons. Of course the O-line is gonna get you killed when you're missing your best players. They've got plenty of good defensive players to build around...

Abraham is unrestricted free agent after this season I believe... I understand what you are saying.

I still contend that Williams, or most coaches for that matter, would take a long look at the chiefs job.

tk13
11-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Abraham is unrestricted free agent after this season I believe... I understand what you are saying.

I still contend that Williams, or most coaches for that matter, would take a long look at the chiefs job.
He might consider the Chiefs, I wasn't trying to discredit Williams really, I was just answering the Jets/Lions question. You could go to the team with Matt Millen as the GM, or a team that's at least has something to work with in guys like Robertson and Vilma, with another high draft pick on the way.

CoMoChief
11-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Martz would be a good choice if hes let go by the Rams. He would be pretty good at developing Joey Harrington better. And it would just eliminate that bastard from coming here to KC.

Mosbonian
11-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Just say no to Gregg Williams....

Maybe he will take the job in Houston? Please.....

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-29-2005, 11:35 PM
I think Gregg Williams is a really good coach. It seems to me if Saunders doesn't get the job, CP will bring in a D guy with the understanding that our offense will remain the same (under a different OC, because Saunders of course wouldn't stay on).

Gregg Williams with a Coryell disciple as OC would certainly be acceptable to me.

Who was his OC at Buffalo?

And remember...just say no to Gregg Williams.

mmaddog

Valiant
11-29-2005, 11:59 PM

A 1000 yard season equals what 63 yards per game roughly... That standard is crap on defining a good season... Needs to be 1300-1400 yard season..

tk13
11-30-2005, 12:02 AM
A 1000 yard season equals what 63 yards per game roughly... That standard is crap on defining a good season... Needs to be 1300-1400 yard season..
I wouldn't disagree with that, it's not a truly great season... but to do it for as many years as Curtis Martin has (11 straight years I think?) is really a great accomplishment.... running backs don't last that long and play that well. He won a rushing title just last year. That's amazing to me.

ChiefFan31
11-30-2005, 02:54 AM
Mike Martz for next HC of the Chiefs!!!

Kidding people...

Hmmm, Greg Williams as next HC of the Chiefs is an interesting notion...

KChiefs1
11-30-2005, 07:21 AM
Don't get me wrong on this because a Head Coach is very important, but it's the quality of Asst Coaches that makes a team great.

Brock
11-30-2005, 08:18 AM

If you really think that, you haven't been paying attention.

Brock
11-30-2005, 08:24 AM

The media has little to do with it. Asshole fans are the problem.

Frankie
11-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Ty Law is being released after the season ....
How come?

Frankie
11-30-2005, 08:39 AM
Martz would be a good choice if hes let go by the Rams. He would be pretty good at developing Joey Harrington better. And it would just eliminate that bastard from coming here to KC.I'm all for that. :thumb:

Frankie
11-30-2005, 08:39 AM
Just say no to Gregg Williams....

Maybe he will take the job in Houston? Please.....

mmaddog
*******I'm all for that too.

jspchief
11-30-2005, 08:52 AM
MOhillbilly says Uncle Gregg won't coach in KC to save his family scrutiny.Is there more to this than I'm reading? Or do people really think that KC is overly tough on it's coaches in comparison to other NFL cities?

milkman
11-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Is there more to this than I'm reading? Or do people really think that KC is overly tough on it's coaches in comparison to other NFL cities?

I thought MH said that Williams said he wouldn't want to work in KC because of to many family distractions.

FringeNC
11-30-2005, 09:08 AM
Is there more to this than I'm reading? Or do people really think that KC is overly tough on it's coaches in comparison to other NFL cities?

Yeah, you'd think a HC could laugh off critisms from Whitlock, knowing he's an idiot, and knowing that sports fans know he's an idiot.

ck_IN
11-30-2005, 09:17 AM
<b>Bob Bratkowski</b>

I wonder what the chances of getting this guy in KC are?

Let Green play out the 2 or so years he has left while Brat develops a QB prospect from wherever. Maybe this guy could convince King Pink not to skip town and Gun could do what Gun does. Then if we can find an Oline to replace the pending retirements we have there perhaps we could be a legit contender.

jspchief
11-30-2005, 09:24 AM
I thought MH said that Williams said he wouldn't want to work in KC because of to many family distractions.Family distractions from what? Is he from KC or something? Is there some history that I'm not aware of?

I guess I don't see how KC would be considered any harder on it's coaches than any other city.

htismaqe
11-30-2005, 09:24 AM

No it isn't.

The only way the Saunders situation is analagous to Williams is if Williams were being courted to replace Joe Gibbs.

htismaqe
11-30-2005, 09:25 AM
Family distractions from what? Is he from KC or something? Is there some history that I'm not aware of?

I guess I don't see how KC would be considered any harder on it's coaches than any other city.

Yeah, he's originally from KC - Blue Springs IIRC...

ChiefsCountry
11-30-2005, 09:32 AM
How about Jeff Fisher from the Titans? I think he would keep Gun as DC and try to keep Saunders or Terry Shea as OC.

ct
11-30-2005, 09:36 AM

Yeah, he's originally from KC - Blue Springs IIRC...
Please elaborate, have no idea what you're talking about.

milkman
11-30-2005, 09:37 AM
How about Jeff Fisher from the Titans? I think he would keep Gun as DC and try to keep Saunders or Terry Shea as OC.

No thanks.

My list would include Williams.
Panthers DC, Mike Trgovic.
Bears DC, Ron Rivera.

ct
11-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Is there anybody else out there who is intruiged by Mike Solari as OC, if say AS were promoted?

milkman
11-30-2005, 09:41 AM

Williams Bio from the Skins site.

Originally from Excelsior Springs.

http://www.redskins.com/team/cprofile.jsp?id=47

htismaqe
11-30-2005, 09:44 AM

Gregg Williams is originally from the KC area. IIRC, MOHillbilly knows some of his kin or something. MO said that Williams wouldn't really want to coach here because it was too close to home...

htismaqe
11-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Is there anybody else out there who is intruiged by Mike Solari as OC, if say AS were promoted?

I'd be interested in Solari. But I'd be more interested in someone from outside the org, like Shelmon in SD.

htismaqe
11-30-2005, 09:45 AM
No thanks.

My list would include Williams.
Panthers DC, Mike Trgovic.
Bears DC, Ron Rivera.

That's a good list, IMO.

Both coaches have experience in the Coryell tree.

milkman
11-30-2005, 09:49 AM
That's a good list, IMO.

Both coaches have experience in the Coryell tree.

For those people that want to keep Gun on as DC, then Williams would be a good choice, since I think Gun served as LB coach under Williams in Tenn. for a season.

That would be the only drawback for me.

Cormac
11-30-2005, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't want Williams. I thought he was a good hire at the time when Buffalo took him. But I have a friend who is a knowledgeable football guy and a Bills fan, and he couldn't wait to get rid of him. He said the players just didn't respect him, or respond to him. That is a recipe for disaster.

milkman
11-30-2005, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't want Williams. I thought he was a good hire at the time when Buffalo took him. But I have a friend who is a knowledgeable football guy and a Bills fan, and he couldn't wait to get rid of him. He said the players just didn't respect him, or respond to him. That is a recipe for disaster.

It looked to me like the Bills D responded to him.

He just needs to make sure that he has a competent OC.

This question was asked earlier.

Who was his OC in Buff?

Brock
11-30-2005, 10:09 AM

Who was his OC in Buff?

ROFL Kevin Gilbride. ROFL

Cormac
11-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Kevin Gilbride, IIRC.

milkman
11-30-2005, 10:12 AM

Oh, Good God! :doh!:

Well, maybe, unlike others, he learns from his mistakes.

htismaqe
11-30-2005, 10:12 AM

"Hey Buddy! Come over here and punch me!"

Reaper16
11-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Williams is a great guy. He still does alot as far as charity, etc. for Excelsior Springs. (I live there) Very approachable; I see him at least once a year.

I know its been said a lot, but often times, coaches will do much better the second time around. See Coach Belichick. Nick Saban looks to be heading that way, too. Maybe all he needs is a second chance, and an offense. :)

Brock
11-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Oh, Good God! :doh!:

Well, maybe, unlike others, he learns from his mistakes.

I doubt Williams had any choice. If you're not a big name coach, you probably don't have the freedom to hire whoever you want.

milkman
11-30-2005, 10:30 AM
I doubt Williams had any choice. If you're not a big name coach, you probably don't have the freedom to hire whoever you want.

You may be right, which is a mistake.

Frankie
11-30-2005, 11:46 AM

Who was his OC in Buff?
It's amazing how forgiving some of us are towards the grass on the other side of the fence! No offense to you Sidewinder, but all of you Saunders bashers go way out of your way to make excuses for coaches from other organizations while Saunders' many positives are flushed down the toilet because he had a few calls that didn't work spread through several games.
:shake:

Brock
11-30-2005, 11:48 AM
It's amazing how forgiving some of us are towards the grass on the other side of the fence! No offense to you Sidewinder, but all of you Saunders bashers go way out of your way to make excuses for coaches from other organizations while Saunders' many positives are flushed down the toilet because he had a few calls that didn't work spread through several games.

When are you going to quit crying about people who don't want Al Saunders? It got old 3 weeks ago.

Frankie
11-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Williams is a great guy.....Maybe all he needs is a second chance, and an offense. :)
And Saunders doesn't!!! :rolleyes: (and a defense)

Frankie
11-30-2005, 11:59 AM
When are you going to quit crying about people who don't want Al Saunders? It got old 3 weeks ago.So did Saunders bashing for no solid reason but he is grass on our side of the fence.

milkman
11-30-2005, 12:20 PM

While I am not fond of the idea of Saunders as HC, neither am I bashing him.

I would just like to see the Chiefs go in a different direction.

milkman
11-30-2005, 12:22 PM
While I am not fond of the idea of Saunders as HC, neither am I bashing him.

I would just like to see the Chiefs go in a different direction.

Oh, and I'll also add that I won't be as against the idea of Al as HC as I was about Marty or Dick.

Reaper16
11-30-2005, 12:23 PM
And Saunders doesn't!!! :rolleyes: (and a defense)
Difference is: Gregg hasn't been doing a questionable job at his coordinator position, like Al has.

FringeNC
11-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Difference is: Gregg hasn't been doing a questionable job at his coordinator position, like Al has.

Yeah, it's not like we're a record-setting offense or anything. We'd win a SB if only we had Joe Pendry or Jimmy Raye calling the plays instead of that idiot Al Saunders.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-30-2005, 12:56 PM

Actually, at home, the Redskins give up 14 points a game.

On the road, they've been giving up something like 27 points a game.

htismaqe
11-30-2005, 02:33 PM

Did you even bother to read my previous post, Frankie?

The reason I don't want Saunders is because I don't like recycling existing Chiefs coaches...

FringeNC
11-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Did you even bother to read my previous post, Frankie?

The reason I don't want Saunders is because I don't like recycling existing Chiefs coaches...

We were talking about this the other day...coaches being promoted...there aren't many examples I think of:

1) Gunther -- marginally unsuccessful, but I was glad to see him gone, and it seemed the ship was sinking

2) Martz -- very successful. SB appearance and numerous playoff appearances

3) Seifert -- multiple SB wins speak for themselves

...I may have missed some, but it certainly doesn't appear to be a horrible strategy to promote from within...

tk13
11-30-2005, 02:50 PM
We were talking about this the other day...coaches being promoted...there aren't many examples I think of:

1) Gunther -- marginally unsuccessful, but I was glad to see him gone, and it seemed the ship was sinking

...I may have missed some, but it certainly doesn't appear to be a horrible strategy to promote from within...
Callahan - it ended up going down in flames but not before they went to a Super Bowl... better than we've done for 30 years.

Brock
11-30-2005, 02:59 PM

Ready made Super Bowl teams. I don't consider Barry Switzer to be a good coach either.

FringeNC
11-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Ready made Super Bowl teams. I don't consider Barry Switzer to be a good coach either.

It takes talent to maintain. Give Seifert and Martz their due. Obviously Walsh and Vermeil built the thing, but it's not like you can install any idiot in there to maintain it.

One or another, I think we need to maintain this offensive system, whether it be by promoting Saunders, or hiring a defensive guy like Gregg Williams and making sure we get a guy that knows the Coryell offense as OC. Also, I'd really hate to lose Mike Solari.

Frankie
11-30-2005, 06:07 PM
Oh, and I'll also add that I won't be as against the idea of Al as HC as I was about Marty or Dick.Fair enough.