PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Stats: Broncos vs. Chiefs

BigRock
11-30-2005, 01:12 AM
Sorry if this has been covered in another thread already, but I didn't see anything and I was honestly surprised when someone pointed it out to me today. Like everyone, most of what I've seen from Donkey fans this week has been the typical cracks at the Chiefs' defense, and statements like KC won't be able to move against Denver like they did against the Texans and the beat-up Pats' D, and LJ's going to be exposed against a real defense, and blah blah blah.

But look at these stats....

Yards Per Game
Denver: 318.7
KC: 328.7

A difference of 10 yards. 10 whole yards.

Rushing Yards Per Game:
Denver: 79.1
KC: 88.2

Not even 10 yards.

Passing Yards Per Game:
Denver: 239.6
KC: 240.5

Not even ONE whole yard. Sure, they can say Bailey has been injured, but how many games have we played without Warfield or Surtain (or both) in there?

Points Per Game:
Denver: 17.3
KC: 20.9

A whopping 3.6 points.

So as it turns out, their pass D is no better than ours is and their rush D is only better to the tune of 9 yards a game. We've also passed by them in the rankings for total offense, although we're about a point behind in points per game.

Anyway, I thought it was just food for thought if you see a Donkey fan talking their usual drivel.

philfree
11-30-2005, 01:52 AM
Sorry if this has been covered in another thread already, but I didn't see anything and I was honestly surprised when someone pointed it out to me today. Like everyone, most of what I've seen from Donkey fans this week has been the typical cracks at the Chiefs' defense, and statements like KC won't be able to move against Denver like they did against the Texans and the beat-up Pats' D, and LJ's going to be exposed against a real defense, and blah blah blah.

But look at these stats....

Yards Per Game
Denver: 318.7
KC: 328.7

A difference of 10 yards. 10 whole yards.

Rushing Yards Per Game:
Denver: 79.1
KC: 88.2

Not even 10 yards.

Passing Yards Per Game:
Denver: 239.6
KC: 240.5

Not even ONE whole yard. Sure, they can say Bailey has been injured, but how many games have we played without Warfield or Surtain (or both) in there?

Points Per Game:
Denver: 17.3
KC: 20.9

A whopping 3.6 points.

So as it turns out, their pass D is no better than ours is and their rush D is only better to the tune of 9 yards a game. We've also passed by them in the rankings for total offense, although we're about a point behind in points per game.

Anyway, I thought it was just food for thought if you see a Donkey fan talking their usual drivel.

3.6 is a decent point defferential but all in all the numbers have little to do with this game. This game is all about turf. It's our turf and we ain't givin it up to a bunch of crisco wearing stump trained donkies. "EEEeeee---AWwwwwwwwww that's to deep" will be the cry of the donks on Sunday. They should fear the pain.......

PhilFree:arrow:

CoMoChief
11-30-2005, 02:07 AM
heh. As much as I hate the Donks its gonna be a good game IMO. I honestly don't think that were gonna blow them out like we did last season at Arrohead. Though if we do I'll be the happiest guy on earth. I dont think that this is the typical Donks teams from the past few seasons. This team isn't mistake happy like in recent years past. Jake Plummer isnt throwing all the INTs he was last season and their Dline is very good, regardless of what talent came over from Cleveland because its obviously working. Their CB's are very talented and their rookies are playing very well and not to mention that they arguablt have the best LB tandom in the NFL. Though we will have Roaf and a few other key players playing their correct positions and people coming back from injuries, it should really be THE test to see where the Chiefs stand as a football team in comparison to others in the playoff hunt. If we lose this game, and the Chargers win, chances are that we do not make the playoffs. I think we need to be better than 10-6 to make it. I'm glad the Steelers lost because I think the only way we make the playoffs is that theres only 1 team to come out of the AFCN. We DESPERATELY need to win this game. SD and PIT losing would also make my day. With that being said, TIME TO DIE DONKS!!!!!

greg63
11-30-2005, 05:41 AM
:thumb: Nice specific point stats. General Defensive/Offensive rankings where covered in the following: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=129968

Mile High Mania
11-30-2005, 05:48 AM
Stats are stats...

Denver and KC have played much differently in the sense that Denver has racked up a huge lead more often than not, and teams have been forced to abandon the run and pass a lot to catch up.

So, that explains Denver's rushing / passing defense stats. I know KC had a similar game with Philly where they got up early and Philly had to pass to catchup, but I can't say that most of KC's games have been like that.

Denver had similar games with Philly, NY, NE, SD, WAS...

Statistically, yeah both look pretty even, but they've arrived at this point in different manners.

plbrdude
11-30-2005, 05:54 AM
stats are stats,but i fully expect "the mile high downhill slide" starts at arrowhead sunday.

Mile High Mania
11-30-2005, 05:57 AM
I don't know if we'll see this team fade or not... in recent years, the defense hasn't been as good as the stats suggested. That is different this year. The defense actually pressures the QB pretty consistently (although sacks are low), but hits and pressure are good and they're creating turnovers more consistently.

The last few years - that wasn't the case. And, offensively... they're more disciplined with less turnovers.

jjjayb
11-30-2005, 06:25 AM
Stats are stats...

Denver and KC have played much differently in the sense that Denver has racked up a huge lead more often than not, and teams have been forced to abandon the run and pass a lot to catch up.

So, that explains Denver's rushing / passing defense stats. I know KC had a similar game with Philly where they got up early and Philly had to pass to catchup, but I can't say that most of KC's games have been like that.

Statistically, yeah both look pretty even, but they've arrived at this point in different manners.

We also had games like that against the Jets, the Eagles, the Dolphins, the Texans and the Pats. So what was your point again. :rolleyes:

funk monkey
11-30-2005, 06:35 AM
This is going to be a good game, and a needed game for us...we beat them in everything, but i think the texans game brought up our average, and the broncos did not play them yet...but still, we have a good chance of beating them if we dont fluke like the last game.

Mile High Mania
11-30-2005, 07:16 AM
We also had games like that against the Jets, the Eagles, the Dolphins, the Texans and the Pats. So what was your point again. :rolleyes:

My point was ... I was explaining my thoughts on why Denver's stats were what they were and I said that other than Philly, I didn't know if KC had similar games.

Reading is fun and mental.

jjjayb
11-30-2005, 09:00 AM
My point was ... I was explaining my thoughts on why Denver's stats were what they were and I said that other than Philly, I didn't know if KC had similar games.

Reading is fun and mental.

So what part of this says you don't know if KC had similar games:

Look like they've arrived in pretty similar manners to me.

Reading may be fun and mental but you've shown you enjoy backpedaling more. :rolleyes:

RINGLEADER
11-30-2005, 09:11 AM
Since the bye we're a top ten defense. If you back out the two garbage plays against the Dolphins that 10-yard difference disappears.

But this is going to be a real test. If the defense is able to keep the Broncos under 20 then they'll have something to crow about...if not then I think the stats are stats argument becomes much more meaningful...

htismaqe
11-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Let's look at all the stats, because some are particularly relevant...yardage stats are pretty much worthless...

Denver

Team Defense
|---------- PASSING -----------||----- RUSHING -----| TOTAL
CMP ATT YD YPA TD INT ATT YD YPA TD YD
217 394 2404 6.10 14 12 198 788 3.98 5 3192
NFL rank ---> 29 32 28 8 23 12 1 2 18 8 17

KC

Team Defense
|---------- PASSING -----------||----- RUSHING -----| TOTAL
CMP ATT YD YPA TD INT ATT YD YPA TD YD
210 359 2414 6.72 18 6 232 896 3.86 5 3310
NFL rank ---> 27 29 29 25 29 26 3 5 13 7 25

Denver's defense shuts down the run and gives up passing yards because of their offense. Their defense is better than ours. But if we can stop their offense early and get ours clicking, this game can be just like last year's.

phxchief
11-30-2005, 11:18 AM

You forget KC's games with NE, NYJ and MIA to go along with Philly. You exagerate your position very much. Take the Washington game - they were never a ton behind passing every down to catch up. Not at all. They were a lame tuck rule away from winning the football game.

So no, not really. The difference there is negligible.

luv
11-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Finally! A good thread about the comparison of teams without the attempts at smack talk. All of the other threads are getting old, but this is the week before a Broncos game at home. I expected smack, but it seems to be in every thread. Thanks for keeping it real. :clap:

StcChief
11-30-2005, 11:43 AM
Maybe this explains the Vegas pick'em line. may have moved a little since opening.