View Full Version : Merrill: Peterson responds to field complaints

tk13
11-30-2005, 03:13 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13288136.htm

Lawn gone
Brown field upsets Chiefs fans

By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

The Super Bowl champions, apparently, don’t like the color green.

And Chiefs fans find brown appalling.

Two days after Kansas City’s convincing 26-16 win over New England, the hottest topic in town wasn’t the playoffs, but the unsightly swath of brown grass that cut through the middle of the field at Arrowhead Stadium.

Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said Tuesday that the field is in typical late-November condition and that it was resodded three weeks ago. Normally, the Chiefs take care of the cosmetic issues by painting the field green.

“We didn’t paint it because the New England Patriots didn’t want it painted,” Peterson said. “The last time we played them here, the paint came off on their jerseys, and they were very upset about it.”

The Chiefs play on a Bermuda grass surface, which isn’t exactly conducive to Midwestern winters. But free agents prefer grass to turf, Peterson said, and that’s why the Chiefs go natural.

The field has seen a lot of feet. Roughly 10 NFL and college games have been played at Arrowhead this year along with an MLS season. Add in Sunday’s monsoon-like weather, and it made for a slippery surface. At one point, running back Larry Johnson fell near the line of scrimmage.

“It’s not real good,” coach Dick Vermeil said. “But that’s our field right now. Both teams are playing on the same field. But we had a lot of slipping and a lot of chunks coming up.

“Normally, I try to stay out of what I have no control of. And the environment controls a lot here. That’s just how it is. I’m sure it’s been pretty much like that this time of year for a long time.”

Peterson said the field may be resodded again during the two-game road swing at Dallas and New York. The Chiefs are also considering painting it before this weekend’s Denver game. That is, if the Broncos don’t mind the green clashing with their unis.

The Star received numerous calls Monday and Tuesday about the appearance of the field. But Peterson said he hasn’t heard complaints from the players.

“We don’t play a fair-weather sport,” Peterson said. “We play an all-weather sport.”

Miles
11-30-2005, 03:15 AM
The pig says: "I wish I was taller"

tk13
11-30-2005, 03:16 AM
Now presenting "This year's excuse if the Broncos happen to lose".

"You tore up the field! We couldn't cutback on runs very well and Jake slipped on the misdirection bootlegs! You cheaters!"

Mecca
11-30-2005, 03:20 AM
I find that complaint by the Patriots to be really stupid to begin with. Don't NFL teams get new uniforms before every game? I'm pretty sure they do with the abuse they take.

tk13
11-30-2005, 03:29 AM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned... Tynes should probably get a little credit for his job the other day. Going 4-4 in poor field conditions isn't a gimme. Arrowhead's usually tough to kick in late in the year anyway...

Miles
11-30-2005, 03:37 AM
The ironic part about it is I seem to remember the Patriots using a shitty home field to their advantage late last season.

tk13
11-30-2005, 03:45 AM
The ironic part about it is I seem to remember the Patriots using a shitty home field to their advantage late last season.
If I recall correctly they let the field go and didn't cover it until the required time by the NFL before the Colts playoff game. I could be wrong about that. It is kinda funny they'd complain about something like that...

Miles
11-30-2005, 04:01 AM
If I recall correctly they let the field go and didn't cover it until the required time by the NFL before the Colts playoff game. I could be wrong about that. It is kinda funny they'd complain about something like that...

Yeah I think you're right on that. I seem to recall them bascially making no effort to protect the field conditions during the week leading up to the game. I couldn't remember the game but I think youre right on the Indy playoff game.

Fruit Ninja
11-30-2005, 04:08 AM
didnt they wet it down to make it more slippery for the Colts wide outs? i think so.

HemiEd
11-30-2005, 05:29 AM
TK is right, they just intentionally left if uncovered to slow down the Colts.

Miles
11-30-2005, 05:33 AM
TK is right, they just intentionally left if uncovered to slow down the Colts.

Also seem to recall that all of the ESPN guys were playing up how it was a good move by NE and its perfectly acceptable if its your home field.

Herzig
11-30-2005, 05:55 AM
Well, since no one has said it yet...I'll do the honors...

DAMMIT CARL!!! :cuss: :banghead: :p

MichaelH
11-30-2005, 07:19 AM
What a bunch of overpaid premadonnas.

Phobia
11-30-2005, 07:26 AM
Seems like a perfectly plausible explanation to me. I never whined about the field. Seemed like a silly thing to be bitching about. But we won so I guess that was next on the list. Heh heh.

Fire Me Boy!
11-30-2005, 07:34 AM
I may be reading it wrong, but to all you saying the Pats shouldn't be griping... I don't think they were. The article says the FANS were mad about the brown field. It goes on to say it's the same field as usual this time of year except they normally paint it. The Pats were griping about the paint, NOT the condition of the field.

jspchief
11-30-2005, 07:38 AM
I may be reading it wrong, but to all you saying the Pats shouldn't be griping... I don't think they were. The article says the FANS were mad about the brown field. It goes on to say it's the same field as usual this time of year except they normally paint it. The Pats were griping about the paint, NOT the condition of the field.So the Pats whining about paint instead of conditions is somehow better? It just makes them look more like the whiny bitches that they are.

Don't talk about our team!

MichaelH
11-30-2005, 07:39 AM
I may be reading it wrong, but to all you saying the Pats shouldn't be griping... I don't think they were. The article says the FANS were mad about the brown field. It goes on to say it's the same field as usual this time of year except they normally paint it. The Pats were griping about the paint, NOT the condition of the field.

I was responding to this....

“We didn’t paint it because the New England Patriots didn’t want it painted,” Peterson said. “The last time we played them here, the paint came off on their jerseys, and they were very upset about it.”

That sounds like a bit of whining to me.

KCTitus
11-30-2005, 08:12 AM

Peterson tries to shed his tough SOB image. Nice try, Carl, it aint gonna work. You didnt paint that field because you like to stick it to the fans.

KChiefs1
11-30-2005, 08:17 AM
Think Field Turf will be installed in either the refurbished Arrowhead or the brand new Arrowhead in Wyandotte County?

Extra Point
11-30-2005, 08:22 AM
Now presenting "This year's excuse if the Broncos happen to lose".

"You tore up the field! We couldn't cutback on runs very well and Jake slipped on the misdirection bootlegs! You cheaters!"
Apropos!!!

Extra Point
11-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Think Field Turf will be installed in either the refurbished Arrowhead or the brand new Arrowhead in Wyandotte County?
All the Chiefs have to do, to build the stadium in WYCO, is for the Chiefs to change ownership. Don't think Hunt has any biz interest in WYCO. Does he?

StcChief
11-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Save the paint..... The field is fine no color needed.

Paint won't keep grass from coming up. And would likely make it easier to slip. Slick painted surface.

You don't want to slip, put down stick 'em on the field :p

KC Kings
11-30-2005, 08:34 AM
Putting the new Arrowhead in Wyandotte county would be giving the Raiders an extra home game every year.

Fire Me Boy!
11-30-2005, 08:36 AM
So the Pats whining about paint instead of conditions is somehow better? It just makes them look more like the whiny bitches that they are.

Don't talk about our team!
I didn't see it as whining... I saw it as saying "paint doesn't make the field better, so don't bother. We don't like the paint anyway... it mucks up our jerseys."

:shrug: I guess it depends on how you see it... and yes, "whining about paint instead of conditions" is better than paint because Peterson and the Arrowhead staff DO have control over the paint... if one team doesn't like the paint and the other doesn't care, then why not?

Brock
11-30-2005, 09:40 AM
I didn't see it as whining... I saw it as saying "paint doesn't make the field better, so don't bother. We don't like the paint anyway... it mucks up our jerseys."

:shrug: I guess it depends on how you see it... and yes, "whining about paint instead of conditions" is better than paint because Peterson and the Arrowhead staff DO have control over the paint... if one team doesn't like the paint and the other doesn't care, then why not?

What difference does it make? They're not going to wash the jerseys and wear them again next week.

dave0320
11-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Bring back George Toma, he would fix it!

Sully
11-30-2005, 10:00 AM
“We don’t play a fair-weather sport,” Peterson said. “We play an all-weather sport.”

So... with that in mind, would you guys mind ponying up to build me a roof?