PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Halfcan
11-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Is such a joke. Blondie and the Sex Pistols get in and Rush is excluded.

With 22 consecutive Gold and Platinum records and over 5000 shows sold out over a 30 plus year career, Rush should have been inducted way back in 1999 the year they became eligible. I think they must just hate Canadians, or it could be Rush made it on their own by making killer music, putting on a great show, and caring about their fans.

The media has always been against them-no airplay or writeups. Rush has always shunned the Media and pretty much says they could care less. They are Royal Order of Canada winners-the highest honor given in the country-and Canadian HOF members.

The R@R HOF can kiss my ass along with the music industry, the Grammys, and anyone else evolved in churning out the shit they call music now days. I bet the New kids on the block make the HOF before Rush. This is worse then the Disco era.

angryllama
11-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Remember...it's the hall of FAME, not the hall of SKILL or TALENT. Both of those groups achieved popular notariety and contributed to the pop culture of their time. Rush is regarded in America as a lesser Yes. Not fair, but at the same time, I wouldnt expect much different from people obsessed with fame.

siberian khatru
11-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Blondie? BLONDIE????????????

I'm a Yes homer. I admit it. But by God, ain't no way Blondie had a bigger impact on rock -- for good or for bad -- than Yes did.

Reaper16
11-30-2005, 06:27 PM

I'm a Yes homer. I admit it. But by God, ain't no way Blondie had a bigger impact on rock -- for good or for bad -- than Yes did.
The bass line in "Roundabout" > all

Here's two words for the RnRHoF commitee: Black Sabbath.

siberian khatru
11-30-2005, 06:28 PM
http://cgi.cnn.com/interactive/entertainment/0205/yes.members/yes.logo.jpg

"And all this time I keep askin' myself, when, O Lord, when gonna be our time? Gonna come a time when we all gonna hafta ante up and kick in like men, LIKE MEN!"

angryllama
11-30-2005, 06:29 PM

No way that Blondie influenced musicians like Yes did. They just had a pretty singer and a few hits. They looked cool and represented a counter culture movement. That's what gets them in the Hall of FAME.

angryllama
11-30-2005, 06:30 PM

I loves me some Chris Squire. I spent years perfecting his bass lines and his tone.

siberian khatru
11-30-2005, 06:31 PM
I loves me some Chris Squire. I spent years perfecting his bass lines and his tone.

Are you Vincent Gallo? :)

siberian khatru
11-30-2005, 06:32 PM
BTW, I don't mean to hijack Halfcan's thread. I'm a Rush fan too, and I'd sure as hell put them in the HoF before mutherfuggin Blondie.

angryllama
11-30-2005, 06:36 PM

Just a fan that felt Squire's influence.

siberian khatru
11-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Just a fan that felt Squire's influence.

I'm glad to hear it. FTR, if you didn't know, Vincent Gallo is an indie filmmaker ("Buffalo '66", "The Brown Bunny") who grew up a huge Squire fan, copying his style and everything. That's what I was referencing.

Halfcan
11-30-2005, 06:42 PM
How did Blondie impact society? Yeah so did the GO Go's.

Cheap version of Yes-I am not sure what you are smokin their rookie, but you must not know much about Rush other than what the music industry monopoly feeds you.

HOF should include how the band impacted music, quality of music, record sales, longevity. Not one hit wonders that made the cover of People magazine.

If you think Rush hasn't impacted everyone of its fans in a positive life changing way you are crazy. They are the best musicians at each instrament ever. Best lyrics, best shows, the best ever!!

Hall of Shame does not deserve them.

Extra Point
Yes, Rush, Sabbath. Good list of non-R&R HOF'ers. Somebody, start, or refer, to a CP Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame thread, I tell ya!

KC Dan
No, Jerry Callo, with a "C"

angryllama
11-30-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm glad to hear it. FTR, if you didn't know, Vincent Gallo is an indie filmmaker ("Buffalo '66", "The Brown Bunny") who grew up a huge Squire fan, copying his style and everything. That's what I was referencing.

Thanks...I knew who he was, but didnt know how he was connected to Squire.

Spicy McHaggis
11-30-2005, 06:44 PM
The Sex Pistols I can understand. They were one of the cultivator's of punk rock. Blondie though, that is pretty weak.

siberian khatru
11-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks...I knew who he was, but didnt know how he was connected to Squire.

Cool, glad you've at least heard of him. He used "Heart of the Sunrise" in "Buffalo '66." And thanked Squire in the end credits.

Halfcan
11-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Sex Pistols had a few good songs, but were just cheap imitations of the Ramones. They were notoriously bad at their instraments and the three chords they knew sounded terrible live because they were so ate up on drugs.

Spicy McHaggis
11-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Sex Pistols had a few good songs, but were just cheap imitations of the Ramones. They were notoriously bad at their instraments and the three chords they knew sounded terrible live because they were so ate up on drugs.

I agree that Ramones > Sex Pistols. Just don't say that in the UK or they'll act like you came in their house, kicked their dog and pissed on their mother. And as a side note I think The Clash was the better Brit group anyway.

kcfanintitanhell
11-30-2005, 06:55 PM
http://cgi.cnn.com/interactive/entertainment/0205/yes.members/yes.logo.jpg

"And all this time I keep askin' myself, when, O Lord, when gonna be our time? Gonna come a time when we all gonna hafta ante up and kick in like men, LIKE MEN!"

Squire's bass line in your user namesake rocks also. Played in a band back in the mid-70's that covered that song. Don't mean to hijack the thread either, cuz Rush should be in the HOF. Mr Lee was, and still is, an inspiration-not only do his bass lines take on a life of their own within the structure of their songs, but the man is singing at the same time!!!

siberian khatru
11-30-2005, 06:57 PM
The Sex Pistols weren't about music, but all about image and rebellion. They had a crafty manager who marketed them, and they came around at the right time, flipping off the art-rockers like Yes and Floyd who had become bloated behemoths.

I can see putting them in the HoF for their influence -- they were the first face of punk for a couple of years, if only for their bad boy images and stage names. But musically, the Ramones were far, far more accomplished, with of course a much longer career.

siberian khatru
11-30-2005, 06:59 PM
Squire's bass line in your user namesake rocks also. Played in a band back in the mid-70's that covered that song. Don't mean to hijack the thread either, cuz Rush should be in the HOF. Mr Lee was, and still is, an inspiration-not only do his bass lines take on a life of their own within the structure of their songs, but the man is singing at the same time!!!

Singing, playing bass pedals AND keyboards all at once!

From Rush, I like Peart the best. Love his drumming, love his lyrics.

Bob Dole
11-30-2005, 07:01 PM
They only want to induct artists who will perform at the induction ceremony.

Here's one of life's little mysteries:

Why is the annual induction ceremony always held in NYC when the HoF is in Cleveland?

Halfcan
11-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Rush has made a World Wide Impact, but since they shun image, critics, the music industry, and don't turn their concerts into a Right to Vote rally like U2, they get no repect.

They are the most underrated band ever.

CosmicPal
11-30-2005, 07:03 PM
The Sex Pistols weren't about music, but all about image and rebellion. They had a crafty manager who marketed them, and they came around at the right time, flipping off the art-rockers like Yes and Floyd who had become bloated behemoths.

I can see putting them in the HoF for their influence -- they were the first face of punk for a couple of years, if only for their bad boy images and stage names. But musically, the Ramones were far, far more accomplished, with of course a much longer career.

Punk never is about music. I agree w/Spicy and his remark about The Clash. I can still listen to London Calling in pure enjoyment today, but that Never Mind the Bollocks crap was murderous to the ear- pure *****in' trash. Give me a guitar, loud amps, and a bad attitude and I can be the Stick Pistols too.

Halfcan
11-30-2005, 07:04 PM
And they continue to make great music.

R30 is the bomb!!!! Oh and they were in Germany-most of the crowd doens't speak English but knew every word to every song!

siberian khatru
11-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Punk never is about music. I agree w/Spicy and his remark about The Clash. I can still listen to London Calling in pure enjoyment today, but that Never Mind the Bollocks crap was murderous to the ear- pure *****in' trash. Give me a guitar, loud amps, and a bad attitude and I can be the Stick Pistols too.

Well, I guess it depends on how you define punk. I've often seen the Clash and the Ramones described as punk, and I think they were about the music. Especially the Clash. Which is why they were better than the Pistols, who I never liked.

Halfcan
11-30-2005, 07:11 PM
Rush have always been against the system and are bigger rebels than the Sex Pistols. They just didn't have the leather Fonzie jackets.

Its all political why Rush is not in the HOF. Take your blinders off you mindless sheep, and bow down to the Red Star. I say burn the HOF to the ground.

The meek shall inheirit the earth!

CosmicPal
11-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Rush have always been against the system and are bigger rebels than the Sex Pistols. They just didn't have the leather Fonzie jackets.

Its all political why Rush is not in the HOF. Take your blinders off you mindless sheep, and bow down to the Red Star. I say burn the HOF to the ground.

The meek shall inheirit the earth!

OK...geezzitt...we ALL get it, for crying out loud. It's one thing to be a fan of the band, but it's another to leghump your love for them. I'm a Deadhead, but you don't see me throwing flowers and peace signs all over the place.

I like Rush, don't get me wrong. I like their older stuff, but they are a bit over-rated, and Peart's writing is not as strong as you think- particularly coming from a guy who supposedly reads half a dozen books a week.

I've seen Rush in concert more than you can shake it stick at- and they do put on a good show. Their musical production is very sound for a trio.

But, get a grip on yourself, man. You sound like a groupie who's desperate to get into a show.

Reaper16
11-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Prog-Rock and Metal are severely underrated by the HoF.

Halfcan
11-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Overrated-they don't even get write ups for their CD releases.

Weak lryics, okay I am done laughing now.

Fact is they don't pimp their music like Aerosmith, and have turned down millions to become a sellout like a majority of the bands in the HOF.

CosmicPal
11-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Overrated-they don't even get write ups for their CD releases.

Fact is they don't pimp their music like Aerosmith, and have turned down millions to become a sellout like a majority of the bands in the HOF.

Dude, don't get me wrong for I agree with you- Rush should be in the HOF over Blondie and The Sex Pistols.

I appreciate your passion for the band- trust me, I do. But, you're going about it wrong. If you're as passionate about this, then do something about it- get a petition out. Go to one of the music boards, or better yet- a Rush fansite, and get others to support your endeavor. I'd even sign your petition if you started one 'cause the fact is- they DO belong in the HOF. They are a tireless band that has produced consistently good music. But, posting your profound adoration on a football board isn't going to work.

Imagine if you were to share the same passion in that clubbing seals is a horrible act that should be stopped. You can go to the mall and sure enough, a ton of suburban moms would fully support your petition to stop the clubbing of seals. You'd get signatures off the azz. But, would that do anything? Nope.

Or, you can get yourself into a boat and ride out to the wild seas and stop the wrongful clubbing yourself. Hence, Greenpeace. I don't care for Greenpeace, but you have to admire what they do, 'cause it works.

Halfcan- your passion for your band should be rewarded. Now, go jump into your dinghy and stop the madness. Get Rush into the HOF!

kcfanintitanhell
11-30-2005, 08:13 PM

HOF.
I always thought that Rush had some pretty decent lyrics-kinda tell a story in a way.
After having lived in the trenches on Music Row in Nashville for over a decade, I always thought it would have been hilarious if Jon Anderson from Yes would have tried to pitch "Roundabout" to one of the publishers on the Row...
"Son, I'm just not hearin it"
"Just what are you tryin to say here?.."in and around the lake-mountains come out of the sky and they stand there"????
"Just what do you think Toby Keith would think about that if I were to walk into his manager's office with something like that?"
"Try and work the lake thing into somethin about beer, and the mountain
into something like Dale Jr's car, or somethin like that, and come back and see me when you got some new stuff."
"Oh yea, son, one more thing....I'm not hearin that Heart of the Sunrise bullcrap either."

:rolleyes:

jspchief
11-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Oh and they were in Germany-most of the crowd doens't speak English but knew every word to every song!Actually, probably 99% of the people in Germany young enough to care about Rush speak English. They've been teaching english in their schools since before I was in high school in the late 80s.

Halfcan
11-30-2005, 08:18 PM
lol, I am so pissed at the hall I wish I could club the hell out of them. Corporate Bastards don't know shit about music. Yeah there are petitions out there that have been going for over five years with 25 thousand names.

Simon and Garfunkle
Percy Sledge
Prince
Mammas and Pappas
Lloyd Price
Moonglows
Ike Turner-Wife beater
The Supremes
Michael Jackson-f#ckin child molester
Bee Gees-Queens of Disco
Al Green
Jackson Five=Gay black boy band
Joni Mitchel-yawn
Isaac Hayes
Brenda Lee
Ray Charles
HankWilliams
Aretha Franklin
Four Tops
Four Seasons

Why is it even called ROCK AND ROLL!!!! These folks are as far from ROCK as you can get. A wife beater and Child Molester are in, but three guys that have sold over 40 million records and changed peoples lives for the good around the world are left out???

If I was Rush I wouldn't even want to be associated with such lame music.

kcfanintitanhell
11-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Ike Turner-Wife beater

Forgot to include local mailman shooter in his resume.

FloridaChief
11-30-2005, 08:23 PM
lol, I am so pissed at the hall I wish I could club the hell out of them. Corporate Bastards don't know shit about music. Yeah there are petitions out there that have been going for over five years with 25 thousand names.

Simon and Garfunkle
Percy Sledge
Prince
Mammas and Pappas
Lloyd Price
Moonglows
Ike Turner-Wife beater
The Supremes
Michael Jackson-f#ckin child molester
Bee Gees-Queens of Disco
Al Green
Jackson Five=Gay black boy band
Joni Mitchel-yawn
Isaac Hayes
Brenda Lee
Ray Charles
HankWilliams
Aretha Franklin
Four Tops
Four Seasons

Why is it even called ROCK AND ROLL!!!! These folks are as far from ROCK as you can get. A wife beater and Child Molester are in, but three guys that have sold over 40 million records and changed peoples lives for the good around the world are left out???

If I was Rush I wouldn't even want to be associated with such lame music.

Wow. If *I* were Rush (and I'd seppuku if I were), I wouldn't even want to be associated with such a lame thread...

CosmicPal
Speaking of Rush, I remember the day I was fired (and suspended) for my on-air antics at our school's radio station. I was in the middle of playing a Rush, Boston, and Zeppelin set when a buddy of mine walked in unannounced. I forgot to turn off the mic after introducing the next song, and our conversation was blasted live for everyone to hear. Got into a lot of trouble for that one...

Halfcan
Your probably right-come to think of it Rush toured Germany a lot in the 80's. Thanks to them the Wall came down, the Nazi bastards where run out of there for good and now they speak English-lol

Rush also supported the SARS Relief, and other diaster funds. Of course they don't get mentioned, but they did.

kcfanintitanhell
11-30-2005, 08:32 PM
I would be really PHisssed off if Piss got there before Rush...

andoman
11-30-2005, 08:35 PM

Here's two words for the RnRHoF commitee: Black Sabbath.

Black Sabbath is in this induction class.

http://www.rockhall.com/museum/releases.asp?id=2393

Of those listed in the 2006 class, I only own Blondie and Skynyrd.

Sorry Half, no Rush either :)

tk13
11-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Of course it's a joke. I wouldn't worry about it though. That's life... that's just how the voters are, you aren't going to change them. There's no way Genesis should not be in there. No way at all. Not only did they have great success as both a prog and rock/pop act, but just simply for all the innovations in the music industry they had... they were the first to use the Vari-lite lighting technology which is used by everybody in music and sports for concerts. When you're at a concert and you see those lights that can move and change colors... there you go. They were the first to use a Sony Jumbotron. Peter Gabriel was one of the first to use the Fairlight synthesizer... him and Phil Collins together created the gated reverb drum sound that became so famous in the 80's. And on and on...

Reaper16
11-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Black Sabbath is in this induction class.

http://www.rockhall.com/museum/releases.asp?id=2393

Of those listed in the 2006 class, I only own Blondie and Skynyrd.

Sorry Half, no Rush either :)
Hmmm. 'Bout God damned time.

Halfcan
12-01-2005, 12:47 AM
Rush not being a first time inductee is like DT not getting in the NFL Hall of Shame!

angryllama
12-01-2005, 12:56 AM
Rush not being a first time inductee is like DT not getting in the NFL Hall of Shame!

DT getting into the hall would be more like that Justin kid from American Idol not getting into the rock'n'roll hall of fame.

luv
12-01-2005, 01:06 AM
I don't even know if I would know a song was by Rush if I heard it. :shrug:

angryllama
12-01-2005, 01:11 AM

If you listen to classic rock, you've heard Rush.

tk13
12-01-2005, 01:12 AM
Tom Saywer.

greg63
12-01-2005, 01:13 AM
And they didn't even gamble on other rock bands! :D

But seriously, a band that sells that many recordings, with that many shows ought to go to the HOF. …Just wrong. :shake:

angryllama
12-01-2005, 01:28 AM
And they didn't even gamble on other rock bands! :D

But seriously, a band that sells that many recordings, with that many shows ought to go to the HOF. …Just wrong. :shake:

I saw Petra in your avatar...I got to meet those dudes awhile back when they played at a club that I worked at. Nice guys.

stumppy
12-01-2005, 01:35 AM
Never did care much for rush.:shrug:

KcMizzou
12-01-2005, 01:36 AM
Never did care much for rush.:shrug:
Me either. To each his own, I suppose.

greg63
12-01-2005, 01:38 AM
I saw Petra in your avatar...I got to meet those dudes awhile back when they played at a club that I worked at. Nice guys.

Actually it's my signature pic.

Yup they are excellent! Too bad they are retiring. They are currently on their "Farewell Tour" I have followed them since the early eighties. :thumb:

Nightwish
12-01-2005, 02:32 AM
Of course Rush won't get in the HoF. They suck! Those guys couldn't hold a tune in a damn bucket! Neil Peart -- what a hack! Geddy Lee -- get that frog out of your throat! Alex Lifeson -- who the hell is Alex Lifeson?!? Those chumps should hang up their instruments and leave the music to real musicians ... like Ashlee Simpson!

Okay, okay, I'm just kidding. I'm a huge Rush fan. Sadly, I've only seen them live twice, but both times were unforgettable shows. I also have to say, unlike a lot of people, I liked Vapor Trails (though I prefer the period from 2112 to Permanent Waves the most). That album took on a new life when I heard what Neil went through with his wife and daughter.

Anyway, I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out how some of those hacks get inducted into the HoF, while music gods like Rush get snubbed.

Nightwish
12-01-2005, 02:35 AM
Actually it's my signature pic.

Yup they are excellent! Too bad they are retiring. They are currently on their "Farewell Tour" I have followed them since the early eighties. :thumb:
I too followed Petra back in the 80s. I met Bob Hartman a couple times, and Greg X. Volz once, back when I still lived in Springfield. They were one of the few Christian hard rock bands, along with Tourniquet and a couple others, that actually had a musical idea.

greg63
12-02-2005, 01:51 AM
I too followed Petra back in the 80s. I met Bob Hartman a couple times, and Greg X. Volz once, back when I still lived in Springfield. They were one of the few Christian hard rock bands, along with Tourniquet and a couple others, that actually had a musical idea.

Yup! I remember those days well. I'm jealous of you though; you got to actually meet them. I did get to see them perform once at Worlds of Fun.
:D

Ultra Peanut
12-02-2005, 01:58 AM
The bass line in "Roundabout" > all**** yes.

No, not, "**** Yes." I mean, uh... "INDEED, IT IS RULING AND WHATNOT."

Brock
12-02-2005, 08:52 AM
I have no idea why Black Sabbath is going in. Most of their catalog is absolute crap.

StcChief
12-02-2005, 08:53 AM
I think they must just hate Canadians,

Neil Young went in with Led Zeppelin a few years ago...

Agree RUSH is overdue to be included.

Mark M
12-02-2005, 09:01 AM

WTF?!?!

That's it ... Cleveland must be nuked.

MM
~~:bang:

patteeu
12-02-2005, 09:24 AM

If you can't recognize the huge impact that the Sex Pistols had on Rock and Roll despite their questionable musical talent, your opinions on this subject are about as credible as those of Helen Keller. They weren't the Beatles or Elvis, but aside from a very few seminal acts of that nature, their role as trendsetters and groundbreakers makes their presence in the RRHoF long overdue (unless there is some kind of timing bylaw that made this year their first year of eligibility).

beavis
12-02-2005, 09:43 AM
If you could turn a steaming pile of dog crap into music, Rush is what it would sound like.

Bob Dole
12-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Anyway, I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out how some of those hacks get inducted into the HoF, while music gods like Rush get snubbed.

Bob Dole already answered that question.

They either have to be dead, or willing to perform for free at the induction ceremony.

Mark M
12-02-2005, 10:03 AM
If you could turn a steaming pile of dog crap into music, Rush is what it would sound like.

That's a bit harsh ...

did Neil Peart boink your mom or something?

MM
~~;)

Mark M
12-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Oh ... and the Sex Pistols definitely belong.

But so does Rush, dammit.

MM
~~:cuss:

shakesthecat
12-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Rush?!?
Never understood their appeal. Geddy Lee's voice is just slightly less irratating than Frankie Valli.

Who's next...... Styx?

NewChief
12-02-2005, 10:18 AM
If you can't recognize the huge impact that the Sex Pistols had on Rock and Roll despite their questionable musical talent, your opinions on this subject are about as credible as those of Helen Keller. They weren't the Beatles or Elvis, but aside from a very few seminal acts of that nature, their role as trendsetters and groundbreakers makes their presence in the RRHoF long overdue (unless there is some kind of timing bylaw that made this year their first year of eligibility).

Totally agree.

Critics would make a similar argument for Blondie as being the precursors of rap. I don't know that I agree with the Blondie induction, but they're certainly critics darlings now, in large part because a lot of current "cool" music is somewhat reflective of theirs.

beavis
12-02-2005, 10:22 AM
That's a bit harsh ...

did Neil Peart boink your mom or something?

MM
~~;)
Ok, maybe I went a bit far.

Rush is perhaps the second worst rock band of their era, lacking only in suckiness to Styx.

kregger
12-02-2005, 10:54 AM
See, you tend to get inducted when you are no longer worth a ****. Rush,Tull, KingCrimson, Yes, etc. are still viable bands creating new music, not rehashing old shit and living off what they did 20 yrs ago.

siberian khatru
12-02-2005, 11:05 AM
See, you tend to get inducted when you are no longer worth a ****. Rush,Tull, KingCrimson, Yes, etc. are still viable bands creating new music, not rehashing old shit and living off what they did 20 yrs ago.

Eh, Yes is awful close to that territory. I think they're reaching the end of their line. No new material since 2001, and this year not even a tour to rehash the old shit. There's talk of getting together for a new studio album in 2006, but we'll see. Maybe the time off in 2005 will have recharged their batteries.

Nightwish
12-02-2005, 12:09 PM
In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have called the Sex Pistols hacks. They had almost no musical talent between them, but their huge impact on punk music is undeniable. They do deserve an induction just based on their influence. I still contend that Blondie were hacks, although there were a couple songs I liked. The inductors at the HoF probably wouldn't have even remembered who they were if they hadn't seen Coyote Ugly.

angryllama
12-02-2005, 12:18 PM
**** yes.

No, not, "**** Yes." I mean, uh... "INDEED, IT IS RULING AND WHATNOT."

I dont think that the bassline to Roundabout is even the best Chris Squire bass line. I always liked the opening section of "Close to the Edge" and the odd-sounding quirky sections of that song (Total Mass Retain?), the bridge of "Rejoice", almost any section of "Heart of the Sunrise", but especially the "Sharp Distance!" part during the end of the song where he arpeggiates the chording - that part is lush, "South Side of the Sky" has a great bassline on the bridge, "I've Seen All Good People" has a great bassline during the rockabilly part, and I personally like the smooth and cool bassline of "The Revealing Science of God" the most. "Long Distance Runaround" has a brilliant bassline as well.

Chris Squire rules!

MOhillbilly
12-02-2005, 01:00 PM

True enough they did break ground. and did breath life into what came after they were gone OI! & Hardcore.
But IMO Sham 69 & Slaughter and the Dogs had a much bigger impact in the longrun but didnt have that SELL quality that the SP had.

siberian khatru
12-02-2005, 01:02 PM
I dont think that the bassline to Roundabout is even the best Chris Squire bass line. I always liked the opening section of "Close to the Edge" and the odd-sounding quirky sections of that song (Total Mass Retain?), the bridge of "Rejoice", almost any section of "Heart of the Sunrise", but especially the "Sharp Distance!" part during the end of the song where he arpeggiates the chording - that part is lush, "South Side of the Sky" has a great bassline on the bridge, "I've Seen All Good People" has a great bassline during the rockabilly part, and I personally like the smooth and cool bassline of "The Revealing Science of God" the most. "Long Distance Runaround" has a brilliant bassline as well.

Chris Squire rules!

I'll throw in "Yours Is No Disgrace," too.

penchief
12-02-2005, 01:10 PM
The Sex Pistols? Yeah, I agree with that. Although The Clash was far superior, IMO, the Pistols were a very important band involved in saving rock n roll at a time when it needed saving desperately.

They were the proverbial last-second branch reaching out to save rock from the quicksand of pop-culture and commercialism.

Blondie? That's definitiely weak. But when I visited the hall I noticed that there were a lot of "one-hit wonder" types enshrined while some very prominent bands had been overlooked.

One of my pet peeves has always been The Guess Who. Not only did they have a lot of great songs but they were the entire package. Great songwriting, great lyrics, great vocals, and great musicians. Anyone that has ever heard their live music can attest that they were not a studio creation. They could rock!

Brock
12-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consumate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor. In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

MOhillbilly
12-02-2005, 01:25 PM
best laugh ive had all day Brock-better than me freaking out cause my tounge touched the payphone reciever.

ROFL

gblowfish
12-02-2005, 01:37 PM
I was a rock DJ from 1976-1985. There's no doubt Blondie and the Sex Pistols belong in the R&R Hall. Both were unique in their time. Without Blondie, you get Pat Benetar or Suzi Quatro as female rock role models. Blondie was one of the first breakout acts of the NYC New Wave scene, along with Talking Heads and The Ramones. Good info on this site for Blondie is here:

http://www.blondie.net/pressrelease_rock_and_roll_hof_induction.shtml

Without the Sex Pistols there is no UK Punk Movement catching fire in the USA. Sex Pistols helped pave the way for acceptance of the Clash and U2, and the American Punk Movement for bands like X and Black Flag. The Sex Pistols were downright scandalous when they first broke, exactly like how Elvis shocked conservative America in the 1950's. They were brash and ten times loud.

Rush should probably be in the hall too, but they didn't really define a genre or shockingly break new ground. They're a fine band, and loved in the Great White North, eh? Maybe Black Sabbath stole some of their thunder this year.

Nightwish
12-02-2005, 01:38 PM
As far as cool basslines go, has there ever been a bassline more cool (albeit incredibly simplistic) than Queen's (also in the HoF) "Under Pressure?" Certainly, I can't think of one more recognizable, despite Vanilla Ice's attempt to co-opt it.

Brock
12-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Without Blondie, you get Pat Benetar or Suzi Quatro as female rock role models.

How is that a bad thing?

gblowfish
12-02-2005, 01:46 PM
How is that a bad thing?Blondie helped define a new genre. The others were cookie cutter of things that have come before. That's all I'm saying. All these women were good looking too, and that's definitely a good thing.

MOhillbilly
12-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Without the Sex Pistols there is no UK Punk Movement catching fire in the USA.

Many american punk bands give a small amout of credit to the SP,but bands like the Blitz is where many say they got that hard influence that makes Hardcore what it is.

it would have caught 'fire' without them America was ripe for it.

angryllama
12-02-2005, 01:58 PM
I was a rock DJ from 1976-1985. There's no doubt Blondie and the Sex Pistols belong in the R&R Hall. Both were unique in their time. Without Blondie, you get Pat Benetar or Suzi Quatro as female rock role models. Blondie was one of the first breakout acts of the NYC New Wave scene, along with Talking Heads and The Ramones. Good info on this site for Blondie is here:

http://www.blondie.net/pressrelease_rock_and_roll_hof_induction.shtml

Without the Sex Pistols there is no UK Punk Movement catching fire in the USA. Sex Pistols helped pave the way for acceptance of the Clash and U2, and the American Punk Movement for bands like X and Black Flag. The Sex Pistols were downright scandalous when they first broke, exactly like how Elvis shocked conservative America in the 1950's. They were brash and ten times loud.

Rush should probably be in the hall too, but they didn't really define a genre or shockingly break new ground. They're a fine band, and loved in the Great White North, eh? Maybe Black Sabbath stole some of their thunder this year.

I think it's important to remember that this is the hall of fame and not the musical equivalent of the Nobel Prize. This award recognizes contribution to pop culture. Not instrumental proficiency.

NewChief
12-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Many american punk bands give a small amout of credit to the SP,but bands like the Blitz is where many say they got that hard influence that makes Hardcore what it is.

Mo:

You read American Hardcore (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0922915717/qid=1133553982/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4086726-7313532?n=507846&s=books&v=glance)?

I bought it for a friend of mine for his b'day last year. It's pretty damned entertaining if you like punk/hc. I always give his wife shit about it and ask her why it's not on the coffee table when I come over. If you look at the cover, you'll know why she doesn't want to leave it out.

Last time I was there, it was actually sitting on the coffee table. She must have known I was coming over and put it out for my appearance.

MOhillbilly
12-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Mo:

You read American Hardcore (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0922915717/qid=1133553982/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4086726-7313532?n=507846&s=books&v=glance)?

I bought it for a friend of mine for his b'day last year. It's pretty damned entertaining if you like punk/hc. I always give his wife shit about it and ask her why it's not on the coffee table when I come over. If you look at the cover, you'll know why she doesn't want to leave it out.

Last time I was there, it was actually sitting on the coffee table. She must have known I was coming over and put it out for my appearance.
i fliped through it acouple years ago but have never read it. Samething w/ spirit of 69' ect.

I have volumes on wax - tells me all i need to know.;)

you listen to any of the new stuff?

NewChief
12-02-2005, 02:51 PM
you listen to any of the new stuff?

Nah, not too much. Main "new" band I listen to is a band called Strike Anywhere. Knowing your tastes, you like stuff a little more 'hard' than I do. I'm still stuck on bands like the Clash.

Bob Dole
12-02-2005, 03:19 PM

Never any love or recognition for Pat Boone.

Tragic.

MOhillbilly
12-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Nah, not too much. Main "new" band I listen to is a band called Strike Anywhere. Knowing your tastes, you like stuff a little more 'hard' than I do. I'm still stuck on bands like the Clash.

Check out Sham and Slaughter noiser and more street than the Clash but along the same path.
You might give Stiff Little Fingers a spin.......

NewChief
12-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Check out Sham and Slaughter noiser and more street than the Clash but along the same path.
You might give Stiff Little Fingers a spin.......

Cool, will do. Oh yeah, just threw in some Anti-Flag for the drive home from work as well.

morphius
12-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Maybe it is because they don't think the lead singer of rush can sing either.

MOhillbilly
12-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Just an observation but when people talk about early American punk/HC bands its always the same stuff.......black flag X ramones but fail to mention Fear and Negative Approach.

just something dumb that i think about.........oh and pat boone

MOhillbilly
12-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Cool, will do. Oh yeah, just threw in some Anti-Flag for the drive home from work as well.

Anti-Flag?geh.........:p

Ultra Peanut
12-02-2005, 05:17 PM
The Sex Pistols? Yeah, I agree with that. Although The Clash was far superior, IMO,If anyone disagrees with that, I'll murder them for you. Or at least say nasty things about them behind their backs.

As far as cool basslines go, has there ever been a bassline more cool (albeit incredibly simplistic) than Queen's (also in the HoF) "Under Pressure?" Certainly, I can't think of one more recognizable, despite Vanilla Ice's attempt to co-opt it.Nonononononononono. Under Pressure was, "doon-doon-doon-doon-doonduh-doondoon." Ice's version was all, "doon-doon-doon-doon-duhnduh-doondoon."

beavis
12-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Maybe it is because they don't think the lead singer of rush can sing either.
I've always hated that chicks voice.

memyselfI
12-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Remember...it's the hall of FAME, not the hall of SKILL or TALENT. Both of those groups achieved popular notariety and contributed to the pop culture of their time. Rush is regarded in America as a lesser Yes. Not fair, but at the same time, I wouldnt expect much different from people obsessed with fame.

Rush is a lesser YES?

Rush is not worthy to wipe the dog shit off of the members of YES' shoes...

Ultra Peanut
12-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Everyone out! Run!

Halfcan
01-30-2007, 10:28 PM
This is getting to be such a freakin joke. Latest nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame!

Patti Smith- who the fug is this?

REM-most boring gay band ever.

Van Halen- A band that went Best to Worst-but I guess they are leaving Gary out to try and forget the dark days.

Chic- What does a cokehead Disco band have to do with Rock?

Dave Clark 5- Oldie nominee

Ronettes-Once again who gives a fug?

Stooges- Lame version of the Clash.

Joe Tex- Who???

Once again these DumbF#cks show why nobody wants to visit this lame ass place. They really need to take ROCK AND ROLL off the fuggin sign.

jlscorpio
01-31-2007, 02:57 AM
I'm not a huge Rush fan, but I do love "Workin Man", one of my all-time fave tunes. "Lessons" off of 2112, I believe, is my hidden gem selection for them. I'll acknowledge the RnRHoF when Maiden and Priest get in.

Halfcan
01-31-2007, 03:29 AM
Iron Maiden, Kiss, Judas Priest, the Cars, Steve Miller, Rush, Styx, that is a lot of Great music right there.

StcChief
01-31-2007, 09:46 AM
This is getting to be such a freakin joke. Latest nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame!

Van Halen- A band that went Best to Worst-but I guess they are leaving Gary out to try and forget the dark days.

Ronettes-Once again who gives a fug?

Stooges- Lame version of the Clash.

Joe Tex- Who???

Once again these DumbF#cks show why nobody wants to visit this lame ass place. They really need to take ROCK AND ROLL off the fuggin sign.

WOW they are watering down the RnR HOF. Is this the nom list?

Dave Clark 5.

isn't everybody with any real talent already in?

Halfcan
01-31-2007, 06:00 PM
WOW they are watering down the RnR HOF. Is this the nom list?

Dave Clark 5.

isn't everybody with any real talent already in?

These are the ones that the Hall Of Shame thinks are the Best of the Best. They are all getting in this summer. Shitty list.

gblowfish
01-31-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm going to take this list and give you my humble opinion:
Great Artist, critical to NY New Wave Movement in late 70's and early 80's. Great energy, poetic songwriter, balls to the wall backup band. She was married to Fred "Sonic" Smith of MC5 before he passed away. Check out album "Easter" or "Horses."

REM was like U2 in bringing alternative rock bands to the mainstream. They're not my favorite by any means, but have an impressive catalog, and have sold millions of records. Were also important in the development of MTV and rock videos. Michael Stipe is a very enigmatic character, but lots of great musicians are weird and/or on the gay side.

Have to include them just on the merits of their first album alone. Pretty much the prototypical USA hard rock band of the 1980's. Famous for Dave in the front, not so much with Sammy.

Agreed. I'd have to see the reasoning behind this. Other bands would be more worthy. Are the Commodores and KC & The Sunshine Band already in the Hall? I'll have to check.

The Dave Clark 5 were almost as big as the Beatles and Stones in the Early 1960's. They were originally a "skiffle group" and were a big part of the British Invasion, along with the Kinks and the Who. They also have a good catalog, check out "Glad All Over", "Bits and Pieces" or "Catch Us If You Can."

Ronettes-Once again who gives a fug? Girl group from early 1960's, They were a Phil Spector "Wall of Sound" Group. The "Wall of Sound" was a early rock n roll studio technique to make groups sound rich and powerful on AM radio. Ronette's biggest hits were "Baby It's You" and "Be My Baby." They were like tough street chicks. Important to the development of Girl Groups in Rock n Roll. Made groups like The Supremes possible.

Stooges- Lame version of the Clash. Actually, Iggy Pop and the Stooges came way before the Clash. Iggy and the Stooges were one of the first really loud kick ass punk bands. Started around 1967, and with the MC5, were the Godfathers of Punk and Heavy Metal. They were from Michigan, and had a reputation for wild stage shows, way before Alice Cooper or current shock artists like Marilyn Manson.

Joe Tex- Who???
Joe Tex was a soul/R&B singer. He was the first southern gospel singer to have a crossover hit to the R&B charts. He was on Atlantic Records, kind of took up the slack for soul music after Otis Redding died. Hits included "Hold On To What You Got" and "I Gotcha." He converted to Islam in the 1970s and got out of music, died of a heart attack in the '80s before age of 50. I would maybe have some reservations about his worthiness for HOF beyond other Soul Artists of the era, but can understand why he would be nominated.

I've been to the R&R HOF three or four times. It's an awesome place, and if you've never been there, you can't really bash it. You may disagree with the selections each year, but the collection of memorabelia they have there is simply unmatched. They've got stuff you can't believe. I remember seeing Original Beatles suits, Ringo's drumset, Keith Moon's drumset, guitars from hundreds of artists, stage outfits from Prince, Bowie, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Madonna, Jimi Hendrix and others. Also stuff like Louis Jordan's briefcase full of music he carried with him on the road, Ramones leather jackets, cars that were owned by Janis Joplin, original posters and tickets from Woodstock...it goes on and on. The temporary special exhibits are cool too. Last time I was there they had a John Lennon retrospective, which included the blood stained glasses he was wearing when he was shot to death, and the "give peace a chance" bed.

You really should go there if you ever get the chance. If you love rock n roll, it's truly a must see.

DaneMcCloud
01-31-2007, 09:16 PM
These are the ones that the Hall Of Shame thinks are the Best of the Best. They are all getting in this summer. Shitty list.

Dude, I was a huge Rush fan when I was in junior high school. I owned everyone of their records and absolutely loved them. As time passed though, my musical taste changed and grew. Until a few years ago, I had almost forgotten them completely.

I was in New York in 2003 at a club at Grand Central Station with an old friend when the topic Rush came up. Once I got back to LA, I went to Half.com and ordered every Rush album up until Grace Under Pressure. I was so psyched!

Once the CD's arrived, I put on my favorite songs from Fly By Night, Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres and the original Rush album. What I heard was utter shock: Dated sounded production, goofy, over the top lyrics and ridiculously high pitched vocals that lacked any type of vocal tone and passion.

In essence, the band Rush that I loved so much as a teenager did not pass the test of time. I guessing that's why this band hasn't even gotten close to a R&R HOF nomination.

Sorry.

Halfcan
01-31-2007, 09:38 PM
I've been to the R&R HOF three or four times. It's an awesome place, and if you've never been there, you can't really bash it. You may disagree with the selections each year, but the collection of memorabelia they have there is simply unmatched. They've got stuff you can't believe. I remember seeing Original Beatles suits, Ringo's drumset, Keith Moon's drumset, guitars from hundreds of artists, stage outfits from Prince, Bowie, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Madonna, Jimi Hendrix and others. Also stuff like Louis Jordan's briefcase full of music he carried with him on the road, Ramones leather jackets, cars that were owned by Janis Joplin, original posters and tickets from Woodstock...it goes on and on. The temporary special exhibits are cool too. Last time I was there they had a John Lennon retrospective, which included the blood stained glasses he was wearing when he was shot to death, and the "give peace a chance" bed.

You really should go there if you ever get the chance. If you love rock n roll, it's truly a must see.

Nope I will never go. What does Rem and the others have to do with ROCK AND ROLL?? Call it the Pop HOF.

Halfcan
01-31-2007, 09:48 PM
Dude, I was a huge Rush fan when I was in junior high school. I owned everyone of their records and absolutely loved them. As time passed though, my musical taste changed and grew. Until a few years ago, I had almost forgotten them completely.

I was in New York in 2003 at a club at Grand Central Station with an old friend when the topic Rush came up. Once I got back to LA, I went to Half.com and ordered every Rush album up until Grace Under Pressure. I was so psyched!

Once the CD's arrived, I put on my favorite songs from Fly By Night, Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres and the original Rush album. What I heard was utter shock: Dated sounded production, goofy, over the top lyrics and ridiculously high pitched vocals that lacked any type of vocal tone and passion.

In essence, the band Rush that I loved so much as a teenager did not pass the test of time. I guessing that's why this band hasn't even gotten close to a R&R HOF nomination.

Sorry.

The dated thing can be said of any band. Fly by Night was recorded for like $500 in a weekend-it was the first with Neil. I think under the circumstances it has held up pretty well. Try watching ANY video from the 80's and not laughing. The Remastered Rush CD's sound great.

More with the vocals- :banghead: To say Geddy doesn't sing with passion is just silly.

By R@R Standards-every band or performer no matter what type of music should be in there.

Oh you were a Disco Band with one hit- no problem.

Oh you were a Soul Artist with no hits that nobody has ever heard of-no problem.

Oh you were a terrible singer with a no talent, but you acted wierd on stage and cut yourself with razors (Stooges) no prob!

It is just a bigger version of Hard Rock Cafe.

Halfcan
01-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Oh yeah if you play Progressive Rock, Heavy Metal, or Hard Rock-Forget about it.

gblowfish
01-31-2007, 09:53 PM
Nope I will never go. What does Rem and the others have to do with ROCK AND ROLL?? Call it the Pop HOF.
You have to understand the induction process, and what the R&RHOF is about. Diverse people like Robert Johnson, Woody Guthrie, BB King, Johnny Cash and Ray Charles are enshrined, and none of them were rock n rollers. Here's the criteria to be considered, and more than just contemporary rock stars are considered:

(from the R&R HOF Website):

Election of Inductees
Leaders in the music industry joined together in 1983 to establish the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. One of the Foundation’s many functions is to recognize the contributions of those who have had a significant impact on the evolution, development and perpetuation of rock and roll by inducting them into the Hall of Fame.

The Categories:

Performers
Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artist’s contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation’s nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of about 1,000 rock experts. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes, and more than 50 percent of the vote, are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.

Non-Performers
Songwriters, producers, disc jockeys, record executives, journalists and other industry professionals who have had a major influence on the development of rock and roll.

Early Influences
Artists whose music predated rock and roll but had an impact on the evolution of rock and roll and inspired rock’s leading artists.

The special selection committee elects the inductees in the Non-performer and Early Influences categories.

Side Men
This category was introduced in 2000. It honors those musicians who have spent their career out of the spotlight, performing as backup musicians for major artists on recording sessions and in concert. Though they often play a key role in the creation of memorable music, the public rarely knows them by name. A separate committee, composed primarily of producers, selects the inductees in this category.

I think if you look at the list of inductees, it's hard to argue with the choices. The artists who are deserving and qualified by terms of the aforementioned rules are a small number. True, there are artists that are not in that should be, but may be selected in time. I'd like to see Todd Rundgren and Dave Edmunds chosen, but they'll probably never make it.

Halfcan
01-31-2007, 10:06 PM
And how does Chic- a disco band fall into helping R@R. Disco was ANTI Rock music-as far away as Rap is.

REM- has nothing to do with Rock.

Meanwhile bands like

Cars
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Ozzy=solo
Rush
Steve Miller
The Cult
Yes
Metalica
Queensryche
Scorpions-Most influencial German band ever!
Kiss

Get snubbed year after year. It is pretty obvious these so-called experts like Pop artist only. Just like the music industry and radio. It is all a popularity contest.

I bet they have a chubby to induct Boy George, Wham, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Cyndy Lauper, Vanilla Ice, Hammer, Clay Aiken. These guys are as worthy as the ones they have inducted so far.

Halfcan
01-31-2007, 10:07 PM
Like Alex Lifeson said in a recent interview-the Place is a joke!

Halfcan
01-31-2007, 10:09 PM
What I am saying you call yourself the ROCK AND ROLL HOF and then you exclude Rock Bands-THAT is why people hate that place.

gblowfish
01-31-2007, 10:35 PM
And how does Chic- a disco band fall into helping R@R. Disco was ANTI Rock music-as far away as Rap is.

REM- has nothing to do with Rock.

Meanwhile bands like

Cars
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Ozzy=solo
Rush
Steve Miller
The Cult
Yes
Metalica
Queensryche
Scorpions-Most influencial German band ever!
Kiss

Get snubbed year after year. It is pretty obvious these so-called experts like Pop artist only. Just like the music industry and radio. It is all a popularity contest.

I bet they have a chubby to induct Boy George, Wham, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Cyndy Lauper, Vanilla Ice, Hammer, Clay Aiken. These guys are as worthy as the ones they have inducted so far.

I would agree that the Cars, Steve Miller and Kiss belong. Some of your other choices may not have made the 25 year rule yet. The Cars first big album was 1978, so they've only be eligible for a few years.

Michael Jackson is already in. They'll probably induct Madonna someday. It will always be a mixed bag. That's part of the deal. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

DaneMcCloud
01-31-2007, 10:35 PM
The dated thing can be said of any band.

This is absolutely untrue. Have you ever heard the phrase "Timeless recording"? Do the Beatles and Stones records sound "dated" to you? If so, it's because you're the one dating them. It has nothing to do with production values. Rod Stewart? Put on Maggie Mae and tell me it's dated. Hotel California? I don't *think* so. I'm talking pure recording, engineering and production values. The Rush records sound dated. Period. The Roland Jazz Chorus amp that Lifeson used on Farewell to Kings, Hemipheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures? Dated. The Moog Bass pedals used on all those records? Dated. Dated. Dated. The ultra-high pitched drums and freakin' Roto-Toms? DATED.

Fly by Night was recorded for like $500 in a weekend-it was the first with Neil.

This record was NOT done for $500.00. Where do you get your ridiculous info? Rush was signed to Mercury Records, not Joe's Records. Budgets at that time were in the hundreds of thousands, not hundreds. You're making excuses, which will certainly not get anyone in a HOF.

I think under the circumstances it has held up pretty well. Try watching ANY video from the 80's and not laughing. The Remastered Rush CD's sound great.

The R&R HOF, to my knowlegde, is about MUSIC, not video. Do you know the process of mastering a record, let alone, remastering? Do you know why a record has to be mastered for CD and why it would be need to be remastered? I do. PM me for a very long explanation.

More with the vocals- :banghead: To say Geddy doesn't sing with passion is just silly.

I think his vocals are toneless and passionless. If you put ten people in a room and asked them who sang with more passion, Rod Stewart or Geddy Lee, I'm guessing at least 9 out of 10 would choose Rod Stewart. Do the same with the Iggy Pop and Geddy Lee and I'm guessing it would be the same. The sound of Rush is heartless, cold music.

By R@R Standards-every band or performer no matter what type of music should be in there.

I don't even know that means, so I can't address it.

Oh you were a Disco Band with one hit- no problem.

Oh you were a Soul Artist with no hits that nobody has ever heard of-no problem.

Chic? Do you even KNOW who was in that band? How about hugely influential guitarist/producer Nile Rodgers? Take a look at his resume at Allmusic.com when you have time. How about Tony Thompson, one of the most used studio drummers ever?

The Ronettes? Ronnie Spector, with husband (at the time) Phil Spector producing? One of the most influential female R&B groups of all time? They don't belong? Whatever.

Oh you were a terrible singer with a no talent, but you acted wierd on stage and cut yourself with razors (Stooges) no prob!

And influenced an entire GENERATION of bands including the Germs, Black Flag, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, DAVID FREAKIN' BOWIE among many, many others shouldn't be in the R&R HOF? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

It is just a bigger version of Hard Rock Cafe.

Well, that's the ONLY thing we agree about.

Look dude, just because YOU don't understand the significance of these artists doesn't mean they're not significant. Maybe if you opened your mind, but more importantly, your EARS, you might be able to understand why they've been inducted and Rush hasn't been.

DaneMcCloud
01-31-2007, 10:40 PM
Meanwhile bands like

The Cult

Get snubbed year after year.

The Cult? Are you smoking crack? "Electric" was such a Zeppelin and AC/DC ripoff it's not even mentionable. And while Sonic Temple was a good (but not great) record, every release since then has been laughable.

I'm beginning to understand your thinking. You appear to have no taste in music.

Halfcan
01-31-2007, 10:43 PM
This is absolutely untrue. Have you ever heard the phrase "Timeless recording"? Do the Beatles and Stones records sound "dated" to you? If so, it's because you're the one dating them. It has nothing to do with production values. Rod Stewart? Put on Maggie Mae and tell me it's dated. Hotel California? I don't *think* so. I'm talking pure recording, engineering and production values. The Rush records sound dated. Period. The Roland Jazz Chorus amp that Lifeson used on Farewell to Kings, Hemipheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures? Dated. The Moog Bass pedals used on all those records? Dated. Dated. Dated. The ultra-high pitched drums and freakin' Roto-Toms? DATED.

This record was NOT done for $500.00. Where do you get your ridiculous info? Rush was signed to Mercury Records, not Joe's Records. Budgets at that time were in the hundreds of thousands, not hundreds. You're making excuses, which will certainly not get anyone in a HOF.

The R&R HOF, to my knowlegde, is about MUSIC, not video. Do you know the process of mastering a record, let alone, remastering? Do you know why a record has to be mastered for CD and why it would be need to be remastered? I do. PM me for a very long explanation.

I think his vocals are toneless and passionless. If you put ten people in a room and asked them who sang with more passion, Rod Stewart or Geddy Lee, I'm guessing at least 9 out of 10 would choose Rod Stewart. Do the same with the Iggy Pop and Geddy Lee and I'm guessing it would be the same. The sound of Rush is heartless, cold music.

I don't even know that means, so I can't address it.

Chic? Do you even KNOW who was in that band? How about hugely influential guitarist/producer Nile Rodgers? Take a look at his resume at Allmusic.com when you have time. How about Tony Thompson, one of the most used studio drummers ever?

The Ronettes? Ronnie Spector, with husband (at the time) Phil Spector producing? One of the most influential female R&B groups of all time? They don't belong? Whatever.

And influenced an entire GENERATION of bands including the Germs, Black Flag, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, DAVID FREAKIN' BOWIE among many, many others shouldn't be in the R&R HOF? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Well, that's the ONLY thing we agree about.

Look dude, just because YOU don't understand the significance of these artists doesn't mean they're not significant. Maybe if you opened your mind, but more importantly, your EARS, you might be able to understand why they've been inducted and Rush hasn't been.

Blah blah blah Welcome to my Ignore list!

Halfcan
01-31-2007, 10:44 PM
The Cult? Are you smoking crack? "Electric" was such a Zeppelin and AC/DC ripoff it's not even mentionable. And while Sonic Temple was a good (but not great) record, every release since then has been laughable.

I'm beginning to understand your thinking. You appear to have no taste in music.

Go listen to your Chic records and fug off!

DaneMcCloud
01-31-2007, 10:49 PM
Go listen to your Chic records and fug off!

I gave you legitmate reasons as to why Rush isn't HOF material and this is your response? Seriously?

I understand your love for Rush but you need to understand that they're not the Beatles and Stones, they're not a universal type of band. I've been nice about my repsonses and really tried to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but obviously, you're not worthy of my time.

Good luck with that.

kc rush
02-01-2007, 02:44 PM
I gave you legitmate reasons as to why Rush isn't HOF material and this is your response? Seriously?

I understand your love for Rush but you need to understand that they're not the Beatles and Stones, they're not a universal type of band. I've been nice about my repsonses and really tried to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but obviously, you're not worthy of my time.

Good luck with that.

Dane –

I really don’t understand why you think Rush is not worthy of induction into the Hall of Fame. Your reasons:

- The Rush records sound dated. Period. The Roland Jazz Chorus amp that Lifeson used on Farewell to Kings, Hemipheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures? Dated. The Moog Bass pedals used on all those records? Dated. Dated. Dated. The ultra-high pitched drums and freakin' Roto-Toms? DATED..

Weren’t those instruments and the use of that technology used by other bands of that era? Do you consider any band using those instruments to sound dated?

What about bands like the Doors or the Grateful Dead and their use of organ? I think it sounds dated using today’s standards, but it was of that era.

- Goofy, over the top lyrics and ridiculously high pitched vocals that lacked any type of vocal tone and passion.

Are you basing your opinion of the lyrics on Fly by Night, 2112, A Farewell to Kings? Neil has evolved as a lyricist. Zeppelin certainly delved into mysticism (and talk about high pitched vocals), are they not worthy of the hall? What about the drug fueled songs of the late 60’s? Aren’t Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds and Yellow Submarine over the top (since you brought up the Beatles)? What about Tommy by The Who, a rock opera about a deaf, dumb and blind kid, isn’t that whole concept over the top? What about half of the stuff written by Pink Floyd, its out there.

Geddy has a unique voice (which has toned down over the years – listen to some of the newer stuff). He considers himself a bassist first and a singer second. Is his voice high pitched? Yes. What about Robert Plant? Or is Ged picked on because he doesn’t have a traditional singing voice? Other hall of famers with non-traditional voices – Bob Dylan, Frank Zappa, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Bon Scott/Brian Young, Johnny Rotten. I personally don’t like Springstein’s voice, to me he sounds like he’s constipated when he sings, but I don’t begrudge him being in the HOF.

Regarding their qualifications -

Performers
Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artist’s contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

25 years – check

Influence – check. Bands claiming to be influenced by Rush – Dream Theater, Metallica, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, Primus, Queensryche, Living Colour, Skid Row, Panterra, and Sound Garden among others.

Success - Rush has 23 gold and platinum records placing them behind The Beatles, The Stones, Kiss and Aerosmith for most consecutive gold and platinum albums by a rock band.

They may not be for everyone and your tastes may have changed, but they are certainy worthy of induction.

Halfcan
02-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Excellent post I couldn't have said it better. With the new CD coming out that is Heavy/ more Powerful-it should be interesting to see what happens in future years.

DaneMcCloud
02-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Dane –

I really don’t understand why you think Rush is not worthy of induction into the Hall of Fame. Your reasons:

- The Rush records sound dated. Period. The Roland Jazz Chorus amp that Lifeson used on Farewell to Kings, Hemipheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures? Dated. The Moog Bass pedals used on all those records? Dated. Dated. Dated. The ultra-high pitched drums and freakin' Roto-Toms? DATED..

Weren’t those instruments and the use of that technology used by other bands of that era? Do you consider any band using those instruments to sound dated?

No, not really. Name another band from that era that used Moog Bass Pedals? Or Roland Jazz Chorus amps in an era of Marshalls, Fenders and early Mesa-Boogies? That "chorused" out, solid state sound is very dated. Put put on an Eagles, Boston, Foreigner or other records from the era and the guitar sounds are incredible. Not phony or fake. As a matter of fact, Marshall amps from the early to mid-70's are collector's items going for as much as $5k each. This is not true with a Roland Jazz chorus.

What about bands like the Doors or the Grateful Dead and their use of organ? I think it sounds dated using today’s standards, but it was of that era.

I think that the Doors have a very unique, very organic sound and along with Jim Morrison, helped to define an amazing era in rock music. Same with the Grateful Dead. The Allman's obviously employed the use of Hammond organs in their music, along with far too many blues and jazz musicians to name. Unfortunately for Rush, the production of the music does not hold up today.

Are you basing your opinion of the lyrics on Fly by Night, 2112, A Farewell to Kings? Neil has evolved as a lyricist.

My opinion is based on hearing every Rush record, from "Rush" to "Grace Under Pressure". That was their heyday and if they're going to be inducted into the R&R HOF, I'm pretty sure that's the period where they're most productive, in terms of creativity and sales. I think it would be a difficult proposition to include or focus on their work from the late 80's to this decade.

Zeppelin certainly delved into mysticism (and talk about high pitched vocals), are they not worthy of the hall? What about the drug fueled songs of the late 60’s? Aren’t Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds and Yellow Submarine over the top (since you brought up the Beatles)? What about Tommy by The Who, a rock opera about a deaf, dumb and blind kid, isn’t that whole concept over the top? What about half of the stuff written by Pink Floyd, its out there.

While Zeppelin certainly delved into "magical and mystical" lyrical topics, they certainly didn't focus their entire career on such writings. Also, their very basic blues-based compositions were much easier for the public to accept. As far as the Beatles, they're untouchable. Almost every one of their 200 plus songs were a hit. And they certainly didn't write about science, art and other "intellectual" topics. And while Floyd & The Who both have concept records, the majority of their careers were spent writing "non-concept" records (for lack of a better term). It's hard to put The Who in the same category as Rush, from a songwriting standpoint. Same with Zeppelin and Floyd (unless you count Rush's blatant Zeppelin rip-off record, their first release).

Geddy has a unique voice (which has toned down over the years – listen to some of the newer stuff). He considers himself a bassist first and a singer second. Is his voice high pitched? Yes. What about Robert Plant? Or is Ged picked on because he doesn’t have a traditional singing voice? Other hall of famers with non-traditional voices – Bob Dylan, Frank Zappa, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Bon Scott/Brian Young, Johnny Rotten. I personally don’t like Springstein’s voice, to me he sounds like he’s constipated when he sings, but I don’t begrudge him being in the HOF.

I don't think it's so much "picked on". He can obviously sing but it's a matter of taste if you like that singing voice. Most people, outside of Rush fans, don't care for it. It's very high pitched and grating on the ears. I think it would be very difficult to turn on a younger person (or child) to Rush because of the highly technical and "cold" nature of the music, along with Geddy's voice. It's a tough sell.

As I said earlier, I was a HUGE Rush fan - my first bass at age 15 that I bought was a Rickenbacker 4001 stereo bass - just like Geddy's. But I'm of the opinion that the music hasn't held up well and that's probably why they haven't been inducted to this point.

Let me be clear: I do not think that Rush "sucks" and I fully understand, respect and acknowledge their contribution to the world of music. I'm just trying to shed some light on why they haven't been inducted into the R&R HOF.

htismaqe
02-01-2007, 03:36 PM
No, not really. Name another band from that era that used Moog Bass Pedals? Or Roland Jazz Chorus amps in an era of Marshalls, Fenders and early Mesa-Boogies? That "chorused" out, solid state sound is very dated. Put put on an Eagles, Boston, Foreigner or other records from the era and the guitar sounds are incredible. Not phony or fake. As a matter of fact, Marshall amps from the early to mid-70's are collector's items going for as much as $5k each. This is not true with a Roland Jazz chorus.

Just a quick point of order, but you can take Boston out of your list. AT one point, Boston didn't even use amps in the studio - the guitar sound was produced 100% by a Rockman created by Tom Scholz.

DaneMcCloud
02-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Just a quick point of order, but you can take Boston out of your list. AT one point, Boston didn't even use amps in the studio - the guitar sound was produced 100% by a Rockman created by Tom Scholz.

Please note that I said "during that era". Not the 80's. But during the mid-70's. That's all modified Marshalls.

htismaqe
02-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Please note that I said "during that era". Not the 80's. But during the mid-70's. That's all modified Marshalls.

Boston's first record was still made in Scholz' basement using a device of his own design. He didn't use a modified Marshall at all, ever, to my knowledge.

Halfcan
02-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Tom Scholz was the man-those recordings still sound great.

DaneMcCloud
02-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Boston's first record was still made in Scholz' basement using a device of his own design. He didn't use a modified Marshall at all, ever, to my knowledge.

Then your knowledge is incomplete, my friend. Scholtz recorded a majority of the record in his basement using a modified Scully 12 track machine. He modified his Marshalls by using a dummy load (similar to his early Power Soak) to achieve the guitar tones recorded. He also did several "tricks" with the tape machine, such as speeding up the machine by 5%, recording guitars and vocals, then recording more guitars and vocals at normal speed. The blended tracks made for a much bigger sounding production and definitely contributed to their much larger than life recordings.

I could go on and on and on about that recording, as I am friends (and worked for) not only the man who signed them but also with people who assisted in that recording.

Much of what I know has never been made public, so it's not likely that you would be able to read about it in magazines.

htismaqe
02-01-2007, 03:50 PM
I guess that's not surprising. I despise Boston's sound about as much as I do Rush's.

htismaqe
02-01-2007, 03:50 PM
I gotta go change my vote.

DaneMcCloud
02-01-2007, 03:53 PM
I gotta go change my vote.

ROFL ROFL

Halfcan
02-01-2007, 03:55 PM
I guess that's not surprising. I despise Boston's sound about as much as I do Rush's.

ROFL Yeah they really suck.

Halfcan
02-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Look up pics of Rush in studio and in concert-sure in hell look like Marshalls to me.

Alex used a Roland guitar synth.

DaneMcCloud
02-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Look up pics of Rush in studio and in concert-sure in hell look like Marshalls to me.

Alex used a Roland guitar synth.

I thought I was on ignore? ROFL

LISTEN to Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves & Moving Pictures. Do the guitars sound the same to you as they did on 2112 and all other records? If no, then you can't hear what I'm trying to explain to you. If yes, that's because he switched from Marshalls to Roland Jazz Chorus amps. And that's a very recognizeable, dated sound.

I didn't say is sucked, nor did I put him down in any way. It just sounds dated, because no one else really used them in that application, then or now. Sometimes when you go out on a limb in the recording studio and try something new, it can definitely have an adverse affect.

Comprende?

kc rush
02-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Put put on an Eagles, Boston, Foreigner or other records from the era and the guitar sounds are incredible. Not phony or fake.

What do you mean by phony or fake?

My opinion is based on hearing every Rush record, from "Rush" to "Grace Under Pressure". That was their heyday and if they're going to be inducted into the R&R HOF, I'm pretty sure that's the period where they're most productive, in terms of creativity and sales. I think it would be a difficult proposition to include or focus on their work from the late 80's to this decade.

Their body of work does extend beyond the 80's though, and they have been successful beyond the 80's (gold and platinum records). So I think that any responsible HOF voter should look at their entire body of work.

While Zeppelin certainly delved into "magical and mystical" lyrical topics, they certainly didn't focus their entire career on such writings. Also, their very basic blues-based compositions were much easier for the public to accept.

Rush hasn't focused on the mystical for their entire careers either. They don't really touch it beginning with Permanent Waves.

Yes basic blues-based compositions are much easier for the public to accept; however, had Rush not progressed musically (beyond their first album) they most likely would not have been as successful as they are. They probably would have been just another Zep like band.

As far as the Beatles, they're untouchable. Almost every one of their 200 plus songs were a hit. And they certainly didn't write about science, art and other "intellectual" topics. And while Floyd & The Who both have concept records, the majority of their careers were spent writing "non-concept" records (for lack of a better term). It's hard to put The Who in the same category as Rush, from a songwriting standpoint. Same with Zeppelin and Floyd (unless you count Rush's blatant Zeppelin rip-off record, their first release).

I like the Beatles. I was just making the point that "Goofy" or "Over the top" lyrics shouldn't disqualify Rush from being inducted.

Also, Rush moved beyond concept albums a long time ago. Yes they do have a theme to many of their individual albums (like many bands do), but the full-blown concept album hasn't been around for a long time.

I don't think it's so much "picked on". He can obviously sing but it's a matter of taste if you like that singing voice. Most people, outside of Rush fans, don't care for it. It's very high pitched and grating on the ears. I think it would be very difficult to turn on a younger person (or child) to Rush because of the highly technical and "cold" nature of the music, along with Geddy's voice. It's a tough sell.

Geddy's voice is a matter of taste. Agreed.

Rush is not for everyone, but I don't think that it is that hard of a sell. You'd be surprised by the number of younger people showing up at the concerts, and a number of bands have been influenced by Rush.

Let me be clear: I do not think that Rush "sucks" and I fully understand, respect and acknowledge their contribution to the world of music. I'm just trying to shed some light on why they haven't been inducted into the R&R HOF.

I wouldn't put those words in your mouth. I am stating though that because of their longevity, success, and influence that they do deserve to be inducted.

Halfcan
02-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Wow Dane is now speaking for "Most" people on their taste for Rush. Your Mojo is great.

DaneMcCloud
02-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Wow Dane is now speaking for "Most" people on their taste for Rush. Your Mojo is great.

What? You're truly a closed-minded ignoramus.

DaneMcCloud
02-01-2007, 07:08 PM
What do you mean by phony or fake?

That was a bad choice of words on my part. I should have used the word "processed". Because Alex chose to use the Roland Jazz Chorus amps and record all of his parts with it's built-in stereo chorus (as opposed to using a straight Marshall, as in past years) the music sounds dated because that sound fell out of favor.

For example, Andy Summers from the Police used a Chorus Pedal on all their recordings. It's part of his sound - he's always used it. But much like Eddie Van Halen who started using a Harmonizer (chorus effect) on his guitars predominently on the 1984 record to present, Alex's sound just isn't the same and doesn't sound as "pure or fresh" as the records prior to "Farewell to Kings". "That sound" is the sound of a Roland Jazz Chorus, a sound that no one uses anymore.

As for your other comments, I completely agree. But I still think they're a tough sell to the R&R HOF.

kc rush
02-02-2007, 08:06 AM
As for your other comments, I completely agree. But I still think they're a tough sell to the R&R HOF.

Tough sell for the R&R HOF because the selection committee is a little clique playing favorites. Rush isn't the only deserving band who has been snubbed. They may never get in, but they are worthy.

htismaqe
02-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Tough sell for the R&R HOF because the selection committee is a little clique playing favorites. Rush isn't the only deserving band who has been snubbed. They may never get in, but they are worthy.

Why are they worthy? I'm still waiting for anyone here to name a couple of bands that were heavily influenced by Rush.

kc rush
02-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Why are they worthy? I'm still waiting for anyone here to name a couple of bands that were heavily influenced by Rush.

From one of my previous posts-

Bands claiming to be influenced by Rush – Dream Theater, Metallica, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, Primus, Queensryche, Living Colour, Skid Row, Panterra, and Sound Garden among others.

These are just bands that I've heard cite Rush as an influence. Just because these bands don't sound like Rush doesn't mean they haven't been influenced.

I know that there are other bands out there, especially modern prog bands like Porcupine Tree and Spocks Beard that have also claimed to be influenced by Rush.

Eric Johnson toured with Rush in the 90's and he and Alex are friends. He has claimed to have learned from Rush. The Barenaked Ladies are huge fans of Rush and even the Bestie Boys have used Rush samples in concert.

They have also had an influence in pop culture with multiple references in shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy, Aqua Teen Hunger Force (Neil wil be in the movie), South Park, MST3K, Freaks & Geeks, The Knights of Prosperity and others.

Braincase
02-02-2007, 09:48 AM
This has become a very interesting thread, and I have to confess that Dane is making most of y'all look like a bunch of junior high school kids arguing about the virtues of Linux over XP with Mark Russinovich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Russinovich).

htismaqe
02-02-2007, 09:50 AM
From one of my previous posts-

These are just bands that I've heard cite Rush as an influence. Just because these bands don't sound like Rush doesn't mean they haven't been influenced.

I know that there are other bands out there, especially modern prog bands like Porcupine Tree and Spocks Beard that have also claimed to be influenced by Rush.

Eric Johnson toured with Rush in the 90's and he and Alex are friends. He has claimed to have learned from Rush. The Barenaked Ladies are huge fans of Rush and even the Bestie Boys have used Rush samples in concert.

They have also had an influence in pop culture with multiple references in shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy, Aqua Teen Hunger Force (Neil wil be in the movie), South Park, MST3K, Freaks & Geeks, The Knights of Prosperity and others.

I said HEAVILY influenced. I didn't say "name some bands that said they used to listen to Rush".

This is the R&R HALL OF FAME.

kc rush
02-02-2007, 11:00 AM
I said HEAVILY influenced. I didn't say "name some bands that said they used to listen to Rush".

Modern prog bands like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, and Spocks Beard.

Many of the others I mentioned have claimed to have been heavily influenced by Rush but they don't necessarily sound like Rush.

Are there a lot of bands running around that sound like Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, the Police, Talking Heads, or Pink Floyd? All bands in the HOF, all influential.

kc rush
02-02-2007, 11:09 AM
This has become a very interesting thread, and I have to confess that Dane is making most of y'all look like a bunch of junior high school kids arguing about the virtues of Linux over XP with Mark Russinovich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Russinovich).

I don't know about that. It seems like Dane's arguments are related to the production or technology used. He feels like the albums don't stand up. He is also no longer enamored with Rush's music (to each their own).

My argument is that they have been successful and influential over a long period of time and that merrits induction. Other popular musicians acknowledge that Rush is made up of world class musicians, its just that the little selection committee clique doesn't like them.

htismaqe
02-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Modern prog bands like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, and Spocks Beard.

Many of the others I mentioned have claimed to have been heavily influenced by Rush but they don't necessarily sound like Rush.

Are there a lot of bands running around that sound like Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, the Police, Talking Heads, or Pink Floyd? All bands in the HOF, all influential.

Dream Theater is a marginal band at best. The other two are complete non-entities. Hardly a ringing endorsement of their influence.

All 5 of those bands have either been more instrumental in the music of their time (Fleetwood Mac members were members of Cream, Rolling Stones to name a few), have inspired wholesale changes in genre (the Eagles and late 80's radio country), or have sold hundreds of thousands of more albums.

htismaqe
02-02-2007, 11:22 AM
FYI, estimates on number of recordings sold of the bands you listed:

Fleetwood Mac: over 100 million
Eagles: over 100 million
Police: over 50 million
Pink Floyd: over 250 million

I couldn't find Talking Heads or Rush off-hand.

kc rush
02-02-2007, 11:57 AM

The last I heard, which was a long time ago, was over 35 million.

Plus, as quoted before-

Success - Rush has 23 gold and platinum records placing them behind The Beatles, The Stones, Kiss and Aerosmith for most consecutive gold and platinum albums by a rock band.

memyselfI
02-02-2007, 12:03 PM

You are not missing much...

unless you like the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard aka Geddy Lee.

kc rush
02-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Dream Theater is a marginal band at best. The other two are complete non-entities. Hardly a ringing endorsement of their influence.

All 5 of those bands have either been more instrumental in the music of their time (Fleetwood Mac members were members of Cream, Rolling Stones to name a few), have inspired wholesale changes in genre (the Eagles and late 80's radio country), or have sold hundreds of thousands of more albums.

I'll say it again. Those artists I mentioned earlier have claimed (themselves) to have been influenced by Rush. You just hear a more direct influence in the prog bands.

Regarding the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, the Police and others, they are unique. There are not a lot of bands out there that sound like them. Rush is unique, however they have been successful and influential.

We are just going to have to dissagree on this. I'm not changing your mind, and you aren't changing mine.

kc rush
02-02-2007, 12:07 PM
You are not missing much...

unless you like the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard aka Geddy Lee.

To each their own. By the way, his voice has mellowed if you would have listened to anything beyond the 70s and 80s.

memyselfI
02-02-2007, 12:15 PM
To each their own. By the way, his voice has mellowed if you would have listened to anything beyond the 70s and 80s.

I actually liked Rush back in the day. Then I had to sit through one of their concerts some 25 years ago. One where no studio touch ups could be done. I think parts of my brain are still in recovery from that experience. It's good that his voice has mellowed but now it might be tolerable at best.

Robert Plant was brought up in one of the earlier posts. His voice has also mellowed and he can't hit high notes he used to hit with ease. But one thing he's always had is RANGE. And while he had a high pitched voice he could also sing mid to low range. Something that Geddy Lee or one of my favorites, Jon Anderson, really could never do. Thus, even though I LOVE Jon Anderson, I must admit he was limited in his range and therefore not the vocalist that Plant was or still is. I think that Anderson/YES beats the pants off of Geddy Lee/Rush.

Dark Horse
02-02-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm not a huge Rush fan, but I do love "Workin Man", one of my all-time fave tunes. "Lessons" off of 2112, I believe, is my hidden gem selection for them. I'll acknowledge the RnRHoF when Maiden and Priest get in.

I'm with you there the shame is it will never happen :banghead:

Dark Horse
02-02-2007, 06:57 PM

I would have never guessed that Floyd sold more than Fleetwood mac and the Eagles combined :hmmm:

Easy 6
02-02-2007, 08:38 PM

I'm onboard with this statement, their sounds are as neat & clean as the Anal Retentive Chefs's kitchen & do absolutely nothing to inspire me.

The great thing about music is its subjectivity, so all Boston & Rush fans can feel free to adore their stuff & i will completely confess to their technical virtuosity.

Halfcan
02-02-2007, 10:06 PM

Skid Row and Tool should be added to that list. Not to mention just about every drummer, guitarist and Bass player the last 30 years. I have lost track how many times these guys have been honored as the BEST.

Rush has sold 25 mil in the US alone and 40 mil worldwide. These numbers will go way up as soon as Snakes and Arrows comes out. Their worldwide tour will surely be another sell out.

I am not sure where you got those numbers for the bands you listed, but they are very inflated.

I find it funny how people have been so programed by the media to hate hard rock and bands like Rush-that have never even heard them?? Wake up and make your own opinions instead of being mindless Idol loving sheep.

Halfcan
02-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Here are the numbers (which are outdated) by RIAA

http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topartist.asp

http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/artist.asp

Rush just had Spirtit of Radio go Gold so should be at 24 Gold. The have others like Vapor Trails and Rush Gold that should make it within a year or so. Their new one should go Platinum if all the hype rings true.

Extra Point
02-03-2007, 06:04 AM
Rush to me isn't hard rock. Its sound seems to stem from British Isle ballads and bards sped up tempo and turned up real loud.

Dark Horse
02-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Rush to me isn't hard rock. Its sound seems to stem from British Isle ballads and bards sped up tempo and turned up real loud.

Iwould call them prog rock but then I have no idea what a bard is. :shrug:

htismaqe
02-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Skid Row and Tool should be added to that list. Not to mention just about every drummer, guitarist and Bass player the last 30 years. I have lost track how many times these guys have been honored as the BEST.

Rush has sold 25 mil in the US alone and 40 mil worldwide. These numbers will go way up as soon as Snakes and Arrows comes out. Their worldwide tour will surely be another sell out.

I am not sure where you got those numbers for the bands you listed, but they are very inflated.

I find it funny how people have been so programed by the media to hate hard rock and bands like Rush-that have never even heard them?? Wake up and make your own opinions instead of being mindless Idol loving sheep.

My favorite band is Motorhead, moron.

Rush isn't hard rock, unless you're a chick.

Nightwish
02-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Iwould call them prog rock but then I have no idea what a bard is. :shrug:
Bards were musical storytellers and poets, generally associated with the Middle Ages. Some refer to Shakespeare as a bard, but by most definitions, he really wouldn't be.

Dark Horse
02-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Bards were musical storytellers and poets, generally associated with the Middle Ages. Some refer to Shakespeare as a bard, but by most definitions, he really wouldn't be.

For some reason I see you as a middle aged man peering over a fence but can never see your face. Your name wouldn't happen to be Wilson would it?

Nightwish
02-03-2007, 10:00 PM
For some reason I see you as a middle aged man peering over a fence but can never see your face. Your name wouldn't happen to be Wilson would it?
LOL! Why yes, Tim, yes it is!

Dark Horse
02-03-2007, 10:05 PM
LOL! Why yes, Tim, yes it is!

Lucky for me those electrical burns are healing enough that I can type.

Nightwish
02-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Lucky for me those electrical burns are healing enough that I can type.
In retrospect, I guess fitting a hair dryer with a turbo charger wasn't such a good idea!

Dark Horse
02-03-2007, 10:13 PM
In retrospect, I guess fitting a hair dryer with a turbo charger wasn't such a good idea!

A turbo charger is never a bad idea.

kc rush
03-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Dispute rocks the hall

Updated:3/12/2007 4:12:41 PM

At tonight's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in New York, revelry and reverence will attend the class of five acts entering a storied sanctum that claims such undeniable greats as Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, The Beatles and Fats Domino.
Royal bloodlines have thinned since rock's heyday and the inaugural 1986 bash, when legends Jerry Lee Lewis, James Brown and Little Richard were ripe for plucking. In recent years, the annual picks have sparked as much carping as clapping among critics and fans.

Outside of unanimously applauded R.E.M., this year is no exception. Van Halen's showy metal opens the door to a style not heartily embraced by rock elitists. The Ronettes are regarded by many as puppets of Svengali-like producer Phil Spector, the gun-loving eccentric who goes on trial for murder next week. Patti Smith, highly influential but commercially marginal, is seen as a one-album wonder by those who favor a mainstream-tilted hall. And Grandmaster Flash poses a thorny question: Does rap belong in a rock shrine?

The honorees boast impressive histories, as will be amply evident in video tributes and induction speeches by Keith Richards, Jay-Z, Eddie Vedder, Zack de la Rocha and Velvet Revolver. For the first time, the ceremony staged in the Waldorf Astoria ballroom will be broadcast live. It airs at 8:30 p.m. on VH1 Classic and MHD and streams on AOL Music (http://spinner.aol.com/rockhall) with on-demand repeats starting Tuesday. A two-hour highlight edition premieres at 9 p.m. ET Saturday on VH1.

In many cases, disapproval of the 2007 list stems from nitpicking, sour grapes and poor sportsmanship. Or high standards, says music writer Brett Milano, author of The Sound of Our Town: A History of Boston Rock and Roll, due in September.

"Eddie Van Halen taught a million people to overplay, and David Lee Roth ushered in the era of the comedian as rock 'n' roll front man," he says. "With Van Halen, we're to the point of bands getting in pretty much only because they sold a lot of records. "Why is commercial stadium rock getting the nod when entire genres get passed over, particularly progressive rock, '60s Top 40, New Orleans funk and a whole lot of black music? It's getting too tweaked toward those classic rock playlists that froze the world in 1977."

Van Halen "seems like a reasonable choice," Blender editor Craig Marks counters. "Those sleazy, exciting rock records sound pretty darn good these days. Sleaze isn't the most dignified emotion, and it doesn't age well, as any recent pictures of Eddie and David will confirm. But the records are dynamic, loud and just fun."

Debate over Smith's qualifications raged in music industry online rag The Lefsetz Letter, after writer Bob Lefsetz, declaring the punk poet's entrée the result of New York myopia, trashed her as "second-rate" and "just another suburbanite playacting in the city." Marks cheers her inclusion as a no-brainer.

"Impact gets her in," he insists. "She struck a nerve and put out at least two great records."

And he has no qualms about Spector steering The Ronettes.

"It's not a songwriters hall of fame," Marks says. "The Ronettes were very rock 'n' roll."

But was Grandmaster Flash? Few critics are quibbling about the first rap group granted admission into the hallowed institution.

"People have to adjust their reference points a little," Marks says. "Hip-hop in its early days was a singles medium, and they had two or three years of indestructibly perfect singles. That's formidable. Rap is part of rock 'n' roll, and it's vaguely racist to think it shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. If it isn't allowed in, you'll run out of people to put in there pretty soon."

The notion of excluding rap "is emblematic of the debate that boomers love to have about rock 'n' roll music not being good anymore," Marks adds. "The thought of Van Halen or Grandmaster Flash sharing the room with the dead bluesmen and '60s hippies just rubs them the wrong way. It's generational bigotry."

The Furious Five gave birth to rap with landmark hit The Message, "indisputably one of the greatest singles ever," Milano says. "If you segregate too much, you lose sight of what made rock great. Besides, a million rock bands have covered The Message."

"Rock 'n' roll is an elastic term," says Jim Farber, pop music critic at the New York Daily News. "It's good that the hall had a broad definition in mind. Miles Davis is in, and most people wouldn't think of his records as rock. In terms of the hall, rock 'n' roll is more of a sensibility than a sound."

Many fans, however, fault the hall for not adopting a narrower view.

"Who on earth are the Furious Five?" says David Hogg, one of many furious fans of Rush, lobbying for the band's passage since it became eligible in 1998. "How about some Canadian rock?"

Are fans the counterweight to elitists? In a word, Yes. And Deep Purple, Kiss, Styx and Alice Cooper.

Cleveland resident John Gavin, 48, vows never to visit the nearby Rock and Roll Hall of Fame & Museum until Alice Cooper is inducted.

If Smith is deserving for shaping punk, "how can Alice Cooper be ignored?" he wonders. "Alice was responsible for the whole shock-rock music scene. His theatrical stage shows have influenced many artists."

Gavin cites David Bowie, inducted in 1996, and Cooper as equally noteworthy '70s glam-rock trailblazers and offers a theory for the latter's exclusion.

"Alice leans to the right in political matters," he says. "He supported the Vietnam War when it was not popular. He lives a conservative lifestyle. Could it be that the liberal music industry is punishing him for his beliefs?"

While not a fan of pioneering prog and glam acts snubbed by the hall, New York writer Roger Wade considers their importance and influence undeniable "to all but the most hard-headed music history revisionists."

He's referring to the hall's nominating committee members, "who are finally able to right the wrongs made by the buying public," he suggests with undisguised sarcasm.

"They reflect rock history through their own prism of 'how it should have been.' I've never owned a Rush album, and I've long harbored an actual dislike for both Kiss and its army. . As both a musician and an avid record buyer starting in the early '80s, my allegiances were firmly in the punk, new wave, and alternative camps and against the 'dinosaur rock' of Rush and Kiss, but even I'm willing to admit both were wildly popular and hugely influential among fans as well as my fellow musicians."

The Kiss-off and other examples of the hall's snobbery hurt rather than enhance its credibility, he says.

"This is supposed to be a hall of fame, and denying both the fame and influence of Rush and Kiss makes the institution look ridiculous," says Wade, 42. "If they renamed the place Rock and Roll Hall of Artists You Should Have Liked More Than the Ones You Actually Did, I would not begrudge them these exclusions."

Most neglected artists have let fans politick and protest on their behalf.

Ozzy Osbourne griped, though not nearly as loudly as his outraged disciples, until Black Sabbath was finally inducted last year after placement on eight ballots.

Singer/guitarist James Young of Styx, a progressive rock band eligible since 1997, is accustomed to musical ostracism.

"Like any sort of competition for awards, it's decided by human beings who have bias," he says, noting that Styx has been copiously rewarded in record and ticket sales. "I celebrate the people who went to the trouble to form the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Without it, I'm not sure a lot of black artists would have been recognized."

Besides, he hasn't given up. "How long did it take for Martin Scorsese to win an Oscar?" he says.

"If Black Sabbath had all that trouble getting in, you'll never get Deep Purple or Judas Priest in," Farber predicts. "Then it's a slippery slope to Iron Maiden. But at some point, it has to get watered down. And more and more people will be angry about how these artists got in and their favorites didn't. The breaking point for me was The Eagles. After they got in, I thought, oh, let everyone in."

Just kidding. Much as the Baseball Hall of Fame turnstile triggers debate, the Rock Hall sparks heated arguments that music lovers relish.

"It's like a list of the 100 best love songs or 50 most important albums," Farber says. "It's a fun argument."

Rock Hall decisions deserve serious argument.

"I'm sure the museum in Cleveland has Kiss items that reflect populism," Farber says. "The Hall of Fame should reflect a critical hierarchy that's more rigorous than a popularity contest."

LINK (http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=64289)

siberian khatru
03-13-2007, 08:12 AM
"Why is commercial stadium rock getting the nod when entire genres get passed over, particularly progressive rock ...?"

Amen, brother.

:harumph:

Brock
03-13-2007, 08:27 AM
That was the saddest Van Halen moment I've ever seen.

And WTF is up with Stephen Stills, and WTF wants to hear him play guitar?

KcMizzou
03-13-2007, 09:13 AM
"Who on earth are the Furious Five?" says David Hogg, one of many furious fans of Rush, lobbying for the band's passage since it became eligible in 1998. "How about some Canadian rock?"

It's in bad form to post Halfcan's real name on the interweb.

KcMizzou
03-13-2007, 09:15 AM
I don't care much about this one way or the other, but it does seem pretty silly to put Grand Master Flash in.

Seems kinda like putting a Roger Clemens bust in Canton.

kc rush
03-13-2007, 09:26 AM

:doh!: - I should go back and put "name redacted" in that spot.

Mile High Mania
03-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Yeah, it's too bad that VH can't get their scene under control... very sad when I saw only Anthony and Hagar accepting the honor. Then, Velvet Revolver goes out and butchers a great VH song.

Halfcan
03-13-2007, 01:45 PM

Good one. :)

Halfcan
03-13-2007, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=kc rush]Dispute rocks the hall
Patti Smith, highly influential but commercially marginal, is seen as a one-album wonder by those who favor a mainstream-tilted hall. And Grandmaster Flash poses a thorny question: Does rap belong in a rock shrine?

Debate over Smith's qualifications raged in music industry online rag The Lefsetz Letter, after writer Bob Lefsetz, declaring the punk poet's entrée the result of New York myopia, trashed her as "second-rate" and "just another suburbanite playacting in the city." Marks cheers her inclusion as a no-brainer.

"Impact gets her in," he insists. "She struck a nerve and put out at least two great records."

"Impact" in other words connections. Two hit records and that is Impact.

I guess having 40 million in sales worldwide and selling out every concert for 30 years-is not Impact. Not to mention influencing roughly 20 plus bands and countless musicians. Snakes should be another Platinum record to push them just behind the Beatles and Stones for G @ P awards in the US. If 2 hit records are impact-what is having 19 studio records over 30 plus years??

Hard to believe a band like Kiss didn't have an impact when they have sold billions of merchandise and have millions of kids around the world painting their faces over the decades.

Iron Maiden is still selling out stadiums and playing for 50,000 plus crowds, not to mention having sales totals in the 70 mil range worldwide.

As far as saying Rap is Rock-that has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Closest it ever came was when Aerosmith sold out with Walk this Way. Rap and Hip Hop is not Rock and Roll!!

The excuses for why they suck ass so bad keep getting worse. Hard to believe they could be more publically humilated then when the Sex Pistols called the place "a bunch of Wankers"-even they knew they should not have been nominated. But it looks like this years performance-was the final nail in the coffin for that place. They have zero credibility.

They need to rename this shithole- Hall of crappy Pop music.

Over-Head
03-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Yeah, it's too bad that VH can't get their scene under control... very sad when I saw only Anthony and Hagar accepting the honor. Then, Velvet Revolver goes out and butchers a great VH song.What song did they do?
I didn't watch it last night :(

alpha_omega
03-13-2007, 05:12 PM
What song did they do?

Don't worry dude...it's VH1...it will be on at least 10 million more times.

Mile High Mania
03-13-2007, 06:06 PM
I can't even remember... their singer runs around like he is having "an episode" and while they may do their own songs well and I like Slash... they were bad. I turned it off 40 seconds into the abortion.

StcChief
03-13-2007, 06:32 PM
It's getting very thin but several deserving people could still get in.... Including Rush

Brock
03-14-2007, 08:13 AM
What song did they do?

They butchered Aint Talkin bout Love and Runaround. I was expecting it to be bad, but it was horrid.

Halfcan
03-16-2007, 03:21 PM
The Hall of Shames Newest Scandal.

The whole thing is rigged by a Gay Nazi Egomaniac.

http://www.rushmessageboard.com/cpmb/index.php?showtopic=7025

Over-Head
03-17-2007, 10:39 AM
They butchered Aint Talkin bout Love and Runaround. I was expecting it to be bad, but it was horrid.

So ahh, I guess asking if you taped it would be kinda stupid huhh?

Ebolapox
03-17-2007, 12:03 PM
half, your obsession with the rock and roll hall of fame is getting a bit... disturbing

jlscorpio
03-19-2007, 05:34 AM
The VH-1 Rock Honors show, to me, is a sensible alternative. When the band consisting of Zombie, Slash, Gilby Clark, Tommy Lee, and Scott Ian played "God of Thunder" and Ace came onstage, that ruuuuuuuled!!!

penchief
03-19-2007, 03:36 PM

With 22 consecutive Gold and Platinum records and over 5000 shows sold out over a 30 plus year career, Rush should have been inducted way back in 1999 the year they became eligible. I think they must just hate Canadians, or it could be Rush made it on their own by making killer music, putting on a great show, and caring about their fans.

The media has always been against them-no airplay or writeups. Rush has always shunned the Media and pretty much says they could care less. They are Royal Order of Canada winners-the highest honor given in the country-and Canadian HOF members.

The R@R HOF can kiss my ass along with the music industry, the Grammys, and anyone else evolved in churning out the shit they call music now days. I bet the New kids on the block make the HOF before Rush. This is worse then the Disco era.

I see both sides of the story. I think that, talent-wise, there are bands which belong that will probably never make it while acts like Percy Sledge (while good in their own right) make it on the basis of one hit. The way it was explained to me is that the emphasis is an on act's musical impact on their era and on future music.

I personally think that The Guess Who was one of the more musically talented bands of their time. I also believe that the Bachman/Cummings duo was one of the better songwriting duos. But they'll never sniff the R&R HOF. And they had plenty of hits that were very unique to their own style.

On the other hand, I don't think Patti Smith is in either? Yet she is one of those unknowns that had a hell of an impact on an entire generation of music (NYC underground same time as Iggy and the Dolls, just before the Heads, etc.) but only had one major hit (Springsteen's "Because the Night"). So, that logic as it was explained to me hasn't held water, as far as I'm concerned.

The R&R HOF is a great place to visit if you love Rock and Roll but if you get caught up in who's not in that should be and who's in that shouldn't be, then you're not going to enjoy the experience as much as you should.

For what it's worth, I'm not a big Rush fan but I knew a lot of people that were. I just never got into that genre (Rush, Journey, Yes, etc.). The closest I came was Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

But that doesn't mean that I don't think they're not as deserving of recognition than some of the acts that do have their signature in the R&R HOF.

Halfcan
09-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Rush ignored again.

What a ****in joke.

patteeu
10-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Rush ignored again.

What a ****in joke.

Link?

kc rush
10-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Rush ignored again.

What a ****in joke.

This is getting comical. Where did you see this?

siberian khatru
10-01-2007, 07:42 AM
No surprise, progressive rock gets the shaft again:

Latest nominees:

Madonna
John Mellencamp
Beastie Boys
Donna Summer
Chic
Afrika Bombaataa
Leonard Cohen
Dave Clark Five
The Ventures

patteeu
10-01-2007, 08:06 AM

Latest nominees:

Madonna
John Mellencamp
Beastie Boys
Donna Summer
Chic
Afrika Bombaataa
Leonard Cohen
Dave Clark Five
The Ventures

Apparently Afrika Bombaataa > Rush when it comes to Rock and Roll! LOL

Halfcan
10-01-2007, 07:56 PM
This is getting comical. Where did you see this?

CounterParts web site.

Wow their choices get worse every year.

DaneMcCloud
10-01-2007, 08:12 PM

Latest nominees:

Madonna
John Mellencamp
Beastie Boys
Donna Summer
Chic
Afrika Bombaataa
Leonard Cohen
Dave Clark Five
The Ventures

Wow, that's a weak field.

I'd guess that Mellencamp and the Ventures are a lock. Possibly Chic.

As for the rest, I doubt it.

Madonna? Give me a break.

Halfcan
10-01-2007, 08:18 PM
The guy who owns the R @ R Hall of Shitty Artist-is a pillowbitter that has a personal grudge against Rush.

They are nothing more than a lame business that acts like they matter. The ratings were below the cellar last year-so they are hoping Madonna can spread her nasty snatch and help them out.

Rush is heading to Europe after being one of the top concerts in North America- I seriously doubt they care about that Rolling Stone faggot owner.

tk13
10-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Ironically, they announced the nominees on the weekend Genesis played in Cleveland.

Halfcan
10-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Ironically, they announced the nominees on the weekend Genesis played in Cleveland.

You mean the same place that Rush became HUGE in the first place??

Pretty soon they will wave the 20 year period so they can get a bunch of Rap thugs in there.

Deberg_1990
10-01-2007, 08:27 PM

Latest nominees:

Madonna
John Mellencamp
Beastie Boys
Donna Summer
Chic
Afrika Bombaataa
Leonard Cohen
Dave Clark Five
The Ventures

In what bizzaro world are Madonna, Donna Summer and Beastie Boys considered Rock and Roll??

Granted, they are all good artists, but they are not rock.

They need to seriously consider changing the name of that place to the Pop Music Hall of fame.

patteeu
10-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Wow, that's a weak field.

I'd guess that Mellencamp and the Ventures are a lock. Possibly Chic.

As for the rest, I doubt it.

Madonna? Give me a break.

Why do you consider Mellencamp a lock? He was the guy who stood out to me as a bit surprising although I admit that I'm not very familiar with some of the artists listed.

I'm no Madonna fan, but it seems to me that she had a bigger impact on music, particularly music TV, than Mellencamp or most of the others on that list. Aside from being a primary guy behind Farm Aid, I'm not sure why Mellencamp stands out. Isn't Mellencamp just an inferior version of Springsteen and Seger where Madonna was a trendsetter? Maybe I'm missing something.

patteeu
10-01-2007, 09:28 PM
In what bizzaro world are Madonna, Donna Summer and Beastie Boys considered Rock and Roll??

They need to seriously consider changing the name of that place to the Pop Music Hall of fame.

I'm not sure why "Rock and Roll" should be constrained to exclude music like pop, disco, punk, and rap. It seems to me that "Rock and Roll" ought to be the generic broad category that includes those genres along with progressive, metal, grunge, and so many others.

Deberg_1990
10-01-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm not sure why "Rock and Roll" should be constrained to exclude music like pop, disco, punk, and rap. It seems to me that "Rock and Roll" ought to be the generic broad category that includes those genres along with progressive, metal, grunge, and so many others.

Well, thats the $50 question isnt it??

Just how do you define Rock and Roll??? Or is it an ever evolving thing??

Halfcan
10-02-2007, 08:14 PM

Yep and evidently bands like Cheap Trick, Styx, Rush, Yes, Deep Purple, Ozzy, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden are not rock.

I hope someone burns the place to the ground.

tk13
10-02-2007, 08:35 PM
The next person to get in should definitely be Hannah Montana.

Deberg_1990
10-02-2007, 09:56 PM
The next person to get in should definitely be Hannah Montana.

hahaha....i shouldnt laugh. Thats the next logical step for this place.

Halfcan
09-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Another year-same shit. Chic up for Hall of Shame-what a joke.

Over-Head
09-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Just how do you define Rock and Roll???

2 words
Spinal Tap

Halfcan
09-26-2008, 06:51 PM
In Cleveland at the Hall of Shit-they define R @ R as any fuggin band except ones that actually play good music.

kc rush
09-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Another year-same shit. Chic up for Hall of Shame-what a joke.

I thought about bumping this the other day, but figured it was a waste of time. Looks like some awesome talent is nominated this year, like - Little Anthony and the Imperials, Wanda Jackson, and that kick ass rock & roll star Bobby Womack, not to mention Run DMC and Chic.

At least Metalica is a rock band, plus War, the Stooges and Jeff Beck.

http://www.cleveland.com/realtimenews/index.ssf/2008/09/rock_hall_announced_2009_nomin.html

NewChief
09-27-2008, 07:48 PM
In Cleveland at the Hall of Shit-they define R @ R as any fuggin band except ones that actually play good music.

Still no Rush, eh? I seriously wonder if they sit around in the nominating committee and crack jokes about how they're going to piss of fall the Rush fans again this year.

Ebolapox
09-28-2008, 02:47 PM
heh heh... in all seriousness, do you really think they'll ever let rush in?

Halfcan
09-28-2008, 06:50 PM
heh heh... in all seriousness, do you really think they'll ever let rush in?

Not with the current Nazi homo director.

I mean the band love them or hate them-are the best at what they do. This last tour-fuggin awesome-and that was the 2nd go around on the same CD.

They were in Rolling ghey Stone-on the Hollywood walk of fame, first appearance on TV in ages-back to back top ten grossing concerts-I don't think they give a shit.

NewChief
09-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Not with the current Nazi homo director.

I mean the band love them or hate them-are the best at what they do. This last tour-fuggin awesome-and that was the 2nd go around on the same CD.

They were in Rolling ghey Stone-on the Hollywood walk of fame, first appearance on TV in ages-back to back top ten grossing concerts-I don't think they give a shit.

I don't know whether I'd say that they're the best at anything (though they have some very impressive individual musicians). That being said, I really do think it's sort of some perverse, intentional joke to keep them out at this point. I'm not even a fan of Rush, but I think it's ridiculous that they're not in the HoF.

Brock
09-28-2008, 07:36 PM
The rock and roll HOF is so important that Van Halen didn't even send any current members for their induction.

StcChief
09-30-2008, 05:07 PM
but Frankie goes to Hollywood was one of best /tic

kc rush
01-20-2009, 04:36 PM
This seems like as good a place to put post #2112 for me. Yes, I am geek, I have accepted this and am ok with it.

Anyway, to the point - even Metallica wants Rush in the RRHOF.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/01/15/metallica-want-to-avoid-drama-of-a-van-halen-at-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-induction/

Each member of Metallica was also asked what band he’d like to see in the Rock Hall. They lobbied for Motorhead (Hetfield), Deep Purple (Ulrich), Rush (Hammett) and UFO (bassist Robert Trujillo.)

<embed src="http://services.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/959035280" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=7255064001&playerId=959035280&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

I'd have to say Rush. I think they're a great band who took rock to a different level altogether in terms of songwriting and technical proficiency. And I believe that they deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

Jenson71
01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Rush?!?
Never understood their appeal. Geddy Lee's voice is just slightly less irratating than Frankie Valli.

Who's next...... Styx?

I love Frankie Valli

kc rush
09-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Skunked again. LINK (http://rockhall.com/blog/post/4911_nominations-for-2011-induction/)

The nominations for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2011 were announced today. The nominees are:

· Alice Cooper
· Beastie Boys
· Bon Jovi
· Chic
· Neil Diamond
· Donovan
· Dr. John
· J. Geils Band
· LL Cool J
· Darlene Love
· Laura Nyro
· Donna Summer
· Joe Tex
· Tom Waits
· Chuck Willis

Brock
09-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Not a very good class, though Alice Cooper is long overdue.

Chiefnj2
09-28-2010, 09:41 AM
If the board members of the R&R HOF were in charge of the NFL HOF, the 2011 nominees would be Pele, Derek Jeter, Secretariat and Madonna.

NewChief
09-28-2010, 01:47 PM
I swear it's just an ongoing joke on the RoR board's part. I'm not even a Rush fan, but they should be in at this point when you consider some of the other classes.

kc rush
09-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Annual skunked again post.

LINK (http://news.yahoo.com/jett-gnr-heart-cure-nominated-rock-hall-090236268.html)

The Cure
GNR
Donovan
Donna Summer
Laura Nyro
War
The Spinners
The Small Faces
Freddie King
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Joan Jet
Heart
Rufus with Chaka Khan
Beastie Boys
Eric B & Rakim

Deberg_1990
09-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Its pretty obvious that "Rock n Roll" has become a very broad category...

whoman69
09-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Rock n' Roll HOF is the worst HOF out there. I've never heard of half the people in there. They didn't launch it with the biggest names like every other HOF does. They have way too many categories to get in. Plus they have no sense proportion. Are you telling me that Abba needs to get their place in before Alice Cooper or Kiss? They need to toss out the trash and start again.

Bowser
09-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Annual skunked again post.

LINK (http://news.yahoo.com/jett-gnr-heart-cure-nominated-rock-hall-090236268.html)

The Cure
GNR
Donovan
Donna Summer
Laura Nyro
War
The Spinners
The Small Faces
Freddie King
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Joan Jet
Heart
Rufus with Chaka Khan
Beastie Boys
Eric B & Rakim

WTF is this shit?

patteeu
09-28-2011, 04:54 PM
WTF is this shit?

Apparently it's a partial list of bands and music artists that are more worthy of praise than Rush.

Backwards Masking
09-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Not a very good class, though Alice Cooper is long overdue.

No shit, LL COOL J? They've got to be kidding.

Kudos on the Alice Cooper nod, he's clearly most deserving out of this "class".

Ebolapox
09-28-2011, 10:10 PM
why try?...you know why.

listopencil
09-29-2011, 03:27 AM
Yep and evidently bands like Cheap Trick, Styx, Rush, Yes, Deep Purple, Ozzy, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden are not rock.

I hope someone burns the place to the ground.

Until Iron Maiden gets in...fuck them.

listopencil
09-29-2011, 03:30 AM
Skunked again. LINK (http://rockhall.com/blog/post/4911_nominations-for-2011-induction/)

The nominations for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2011 were announced today. The nominees are:

· Alice Cooper
· Beastie Boys
· Bon Jovi
· Chic
· Neil Diamond
· Donovan
· Dr. John
· J. Geils Band
· LL Cool J
· Darlene Love
· Laura Nyro
· Donna Summer
· Joe Tex
· Tom Waits
· Chuck Willis

Out of those choices? There aren't five. I'd say Alice Cooper. Then Neil Diamond because he's great (not Rock And Roll) and that's it.

jspchief
09-29-2011, 05:52 AM
Lol Bon Jovi > Rush

Deberg_1990
09-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Rock n' Roll HOF is the worst HOF out there. I've never heard of half the people in there. They didn't launch it with the biggest names like every other HOF does. They have way too many categories to get in. Plus they have no sense proportion. Are you telling me that Abba needs to get their place in before Alice Cooper or Kiss? They need to toss out the trash and start again.

Yep, I guess they are just trying to appeal to a broad audience of musical tastes, but they need to break it up and organize it better.

How about a Pop Hall of Fame, R&B Hall of Fame and a Rap Hall of Fame in addition to the ROck N Roll Hall of Fame?

Backwards Masking
09-29-2011, 07:13 AM
How about a Pop Hall of Fame, R&B Hall of Fame and a Rap Hall of Fame in addition to the ROck N Roll Hall of Fame?

Nope : The RnR Hall is to Halls what Head n Shoulders is to shampoo - no messing around with multiple bottles!

For the record I agree, unfortuneately it's far too late at this point. What's really f*cked is they seem bent on snubbing the acts that lean towards metal (Purple, Maiden, Priest etc.) but are all about letting Pop acts in no problem. At this point I think Garth Brooks will get in before Rush will.

stevieray
09-29-2011, 07:34 AM
bon jovi?

LMAO

PunkinDrublic
09-29-2011, 12:04 PM
The whole idea of having any sort of music HOF is beyond retarded. You can't judge music like you can with sports because it's a matter of taste. Rock and Roll hall of fame has been and always will be a bullshit, pretentious instition. To pretend to care about who gets in and who gets left out is a big waste of time.

vailpass
09-29-2011, 12:05 PM
The whole idea of having any sort of music HOF is beyond retarded. You can't judge music like you can with sports because it's a matter of taste. Rock and Roll hall of fame has been and always will be a bullshit, pretentious instition. To pretend to care about who gets in and who gets left out is a big waste of time.

If it were located across the street from you would you visit the RR Hall of Fame?

Frazod
09-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Abba's in. Michael Jackson's in. Boston isn't.

I wouldn't go there to take a dump.

Deberg_1990
09-29-2011, 01:58 PM

Exactly. ABBA and MJ certainly deserve to be in the Hall of something. But that something shouldnt be the Hall of Rock n Roll.

PunkinDrublic
09-29-2011, 02:04 PM
If it were located across the street from you would you visit the RR Hall of Fame?

I've actually visited the Rock and Roll HOF in Cleveland and it does have some really cool exhibits. I'm fine with it as a museum, I just think a hof system like sports is ridiculous. I say this knowing full well how hypocritical I sound.

WV
09-29-2011, 02:08 PM
I know it's country but the Grand Ole Opry is the same way.

Frazod
09-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Exactly. ABBA and MJ certainly deserve to be in the Hall of something. But that something shouldnt be the Hall of Rock n Roll.

Hall of Elevator Music for ABBA

Hall of Child Molesting Freaks for Jackson

vailpass
09-29-2011, 03:20 PM
I've actually visited the Rock and Roll HOF in Cleveland and it does have some really cool exhibits. I'm fine with it as a museum, I just think a hof system like sports is ridiculous. I say this knowing full well how hypocritical I sound.

Actually what you say makes perfect sense. A shrine as opposed to an arbitrary judgement of relative worth.

Backwards Masking
09-29-2011, 06:30 PM
bon jovi?

LMAO

I wouldn't vote them in, but at least they're technically Rock n Roll. Sappy, poppy, love song singing rock, but rock nevertheless.

I want know how LL F*CKING Cool J gets nominated over Maiden, Priest, Rush etc. His music doesn't even approach rock in the slightest, if he gets in it will be 10x more of a travesty than even MJ or Abba. Yeah, they weren't rock either, but they were Giant Dance Icons. I can name 10 rappers off the top of my head more worthy than Cool J. I'm not trying to rip him cause I think he sucks or don't like him, he has no business being nominated though. I bet he gets in before Maiden even gets a chance :banghead:.

Deberg_1990
09-29-2011, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't vote them in, but at least they're technically Rock n Roll. Sappy, poppy, love song singing rock, but rock nevertheless.

I want know how LL F*CKING Cool J gets nominated over Maiden, Priest, Rush etc. His music doesn't even approach rock in the slightest, if he gets in it will be 10x more of a travesty than even MJ or Abba. Yeah, they weren't rock either, but they were Giant Dance Icons. I can name 10 rappers off the top of my head more worthy than Cool J. I'm not trying to rip him cause I think he sucks or don't like him, he has no business being nominated though. I bet he gets in before Maiden even gets a chance :banghead:.

They should just rename this thing to the "Music Hall of Fame" and be done with if they are going to remain this broad.

Backwards Masking
09-29-2011, 06:41 PM
They should just rename this thing to the "Music Hall of Fame" and be done with if they are going to remain this broad.

I agree. There'd be some truth in the name, and wouldn't be nearly the travesty it became awhile back that's just getting worse and worse.

BoneKrusher
10-05-2011, 06:56 PM

I wouldn't go there to take a dump.

i agree Bro.:clap: