PDA

View Full Version : Ron Prince New KSU football coach?

WilliamTheIrish
11-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Garcia Bronco... I know you're a Tech guy, but what can you tell me about this guy?

He's the OC at UVa?

WilliamTheIrish
12-01-2005, 12:21 AM
Saul,

did ya go the Bball game Wednesday night? What's the word you're hearing?

leviw
12-01-2005, 01:28 AM
Not to say I know anything. Not to say I don't. But....don't read too much into anything you hear about Price or anyone else, at this point.

KChiefs1
12-01-2005, 07:08 AM
My "inside sources" at KSU say.....it's a done deal.

Prince will be announced next week if not sooner.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2005, 07:10 AM
Saul,

did ya go the Bball game Wednesday night? What's the word you're hearing?
Yeah. Just got the same news you heard, i'm sure.

This strikes me as a bit odd because of ADTW's interview on ESPN's "Outside the lines" where he spoke on the topic of hiring a minority coach. Perhaps this is why we are seeing alot of news about this?

BTW, i'd be all for this hire.

Raiderhader
12-01-2005, 08:57 AM
http://virginiasports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/prince_ron00.html

Sybil
12-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Interesting choice.

HemiEd
12-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Sounds like a good fit and he went to DC3.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2005, 01:56 PM
FYI: 810 reports we are also interviewing an "NFL Candidate". Don't know what this all means yet. Hope to see something happen within a week.

dtrain
12-01-2005, 04:10 PM
I grew up in the same neighborhood with Ron in Junction City. Westside!!!!

KCChiefsFan88
12-01-2005, 06:17 PM
UVA's offense is a joke. They can't pass the ball at all. This would be a mediocre hire for Kansas State if this is who they want

Saulbadguy
12-01-2005, 06:19 PM
UVA's offense is a joke. They can't pass the ball at all. This would be a mediocre hire for Kansas State if this is who they want
They did pretty good with Matt Schaub.

I wouldn't mind this hire because of the NFL caliber O-Line talent he's developed.

Skip Towne
12-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Does anybody else remember the coaching carousel at K-State before Bill Snyder? One coach after another. Here we go again.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Does anybody else remember the coaching carousel at K-State before Bill Snyder? One coach after another. Here we go again.
Of course I don't. I just remember stories. Awful, scary stories.

IIRC the only one who had an iota of success was Jim Dickey. Of course, there was Mike Ahearn back in your day Skip...

Skip Towne
12-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Of course I don't. I just remember stories. Awful, scary stories.

IIRC the only one who had an iota of success was Jim Dickey. Of course, there was Mike Ahearn back in your day Skip...
It seems like Vince Gibson was among the best of them. Wasn't he there during the Lynn Dickey years?

Saulbadguy
12-01-2005, 06:28 PM
It seems like Vince Gibson was among the best of them. Wasn't he there during the Lynn Dickey years?
Yeah. I wasn't born then though. Check this out.

http://nationalchamps.net/NCAA/database/kansasstate_database.htm

A listing of all KSU's coaches and winning percentages over the years. I was born in 81, and really didn't get in to sports until the late 90's. This list really makes me appreciate what Snyder did. Nothing short of a miracle.

ChiTown
12-01-2005, 06:34 PM

You're thinking like a Miami fan.

Al Groh runs that offense. Prince is completely stifled by what he can call. It's like being the OC at KSU. It's a title only. All the plays run thru Bill Snyder.

Skip Towne
12-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Yeah. I wasn't born then though. Check this out.

http://nationalchamps.net/NCAA/database/kansasstate_database.htm

A listing of all KSU's coaches and winning percentages over the years. I was born in 81, and really didn't get in to sports until the late 90's. This list really makes me appreciate what Snyder did. Nothing short of a miracle.
That's a nice site. Yeah, Gibson was one of the better ones. I was surprised when they let him go. I remember Dickey and Co. going to Norman and stomping the crap out of the Sooners. 59 to something.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Any word from "inside" the AD, ChiTown? :D

Saulbadguy
12-01-2005, 06:36 PM
That's a nice site. Yeah, Gibson was one of the better ones. I was surprised when they let him go. I remember Dickey and Co. going to Norman and stomping the crap out of the Sooners. 59 to something.
10/25 vs. *Oklahoma (6-4) W 59 21

Nice site, eh?

ChiTown
12-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Any word from "inside" the AD, ChiTown? :D

None :), that I will talk about.

Let's just say that what appears to be on from the outside is not even close to what's going on from the inside.

Translation:
Our Administration is doing a helluva job keeping this very random at this point. Don't believe for a minute that Ron Prince is their main guy. There are several people on their list that they are considering at this point. He's just one of probably 6-7 serious candidates. I heard on several bb's and other news sources that they were going to announce Prince as their new HC tomorrow. BS. If that were the case, why did they fly him back to Charlottesville right after their meeting? Remember, appearances count for something today. They made a public effort to get Princes name out there. Ask yourself why?

IMO, this thing isn't going to happen real quickly. I'm guessing they won't announce their guy until this time next week.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Ask yourself why?

See post #5..
am I close to being right? :)

ChiTown
12-01-2005, 06:48 PM
See post #5..
am I close to being right? :)

:clap:

It's a process. Looking good during the process is a major emphasis, especially for UP Jon Wefald. I'm not saying they won't eventually hire Prince, or that he's not qualified. I'm just saying that they leaked his name to some of the local media outlets for a reason. They're working this for some PR mileage.

Deberg_1990
12-01-2005, 09:01 PM
FYI: 810 reports we are also interviewing an "NFL Candidate". Don't know what this all means yet. Hope to see something happen within a week.

Mike Martz??

Raiderhader
12-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Mike Martz??

Don't even joke like that. I'd have to shoot myself or something.

Coach
12-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Hmm... interesting...

Not much I could say about that. Just that Virginia almost beat Miami last week.

However, the concern KSU Fans would have is that his offense is 70th in the nation this year IIRC.

ChiTown
12-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Hmm... interesting...

Not much I could say about that. Just that Virginia almost beat Miami last week.

However, the concern KSU Fans would have is that his offense is 70th in the nation this year IIRC.

True.

However, the dude is completely hamstrung by the HC - Al Groh. All the offensive play calling goes through him. Tough to judge the guy by that measure, IMO.

Raiderhader
12-02-2005, 08:18 AM
True.

However, the dude is completely hamstrung by the HC - Al Groh. All the offensive play calling goes through him. Tough to judge the guy by that measure, IMO.

From what I have read, he is also hamstrung by a lack of talent this year.

Saulbadguy
12-04-2005, 08:57 PM
It'll be announced tommorow.

WilliamTheIrish
12-04-2005, 09:00 PM
I'm thrilled.

I'd love to see him peel Blake away from UNL or Wyatt from OU.

Or both.

Saulbadguy
12-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Supposedly he will be bringing in Turner Gill.

WilliamTheIrish
12-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Supposedly he will be bringing in Turner Gill.

You have got to be kidding.

Skip Towne
12-04-2005, 09:40 PM
I'm sure he is. Hahahahahaha Turner Gill. Hahahahahaha

Skip Towne
12-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Congrats, Kittycats, he looks like anothe Doug Weaver to me.

Saulbadguy
12-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Thats what im hearing. Honestly I don't know anything about Turner Gill. Former NU All-American?

WilliamTheIrish
12-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Thats what im hearing. Honestly I don't know anything about Turner Gill. Former NU All-American?

Great NU QB. Position coach under Solich. May have hand as Co - OC.

And he can recruit.

Saulbadguy
12-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Great NU QB. Position coach under Solich. May have hand as Co - OC.

And he can recruit.
Right now it looks like he is working for the Packers.

ChiTown
12-04-2005, 09:53 PM

Don;t worry, it's bs..

I'd look for a guy that has experience calling plays in the Pro-Set, and a guy with Midwest Recruiting Connections........

WilliamTheIrish
12-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Congrats, Kittycats, he looks like anothe Doug Weaver to me.

Heh heh.

Your and idiot.

WilliamTheIrish
12-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Don;t worry, it's bs..

I'd look for a guy that has experience calling plays in the Pro-Set, and a guy with Midwest Recruiting Connections........

Wait!! Is this a rumor from GoPowercrap.com?

Cause so far, the poser Fatzgerald has had his clock cleaned by the other shitty pay for no info KSU board regarding the head coaching position.

Ultra Peanut
12-04-2005, 09:58 PM
The Nick Athan of KSU fansites?

WilliamTheIrish
12-04-2005, 10:05 PM
The Nick Athan of KSU fansites?

Which one?

One is a Rivals site. It has two or three posters that have literally killed the free board. I mean complete, total (expletive)suckers that I would beat senseless if I had the pleasure to meet them in person. These few posters have turned the free board at GoPowercrap.com into something similair to our very own DC forum.

The other is a Scout site, that is much friendlier, but gets less traffic.

Saulbadguy
12-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Wait!! Is this a rumor from GoPowercrap.com?

Cause so far, the poser Fatzgerald has had his clock cleaned by the other shitty pay for no info KSU board regarding the head coaching position.
Yeah. Kstatefans.com has absolutely schooled Gopowercat as of late with information about football.

Too bad Kstatefans has no basketball coverage whatsoever.

I read this Turner Gill thing on KStatefans.com, FWIW.

ChiTown
12-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Which one?

One is a Rivals site. It has two or three posters that have literally killed the free board. I mean complete, total (expletive)suckers that I would beat senseless if I had the pleasure to meet them in person. These few posters have turned the free board at GoPowercrap.com into something similair to our very own DC forum.

How do you really feel?
:)

Saulbadguy
12-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Which one?

Manhatter?

Saulbadguy
12-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Oh yes..PROPS to Lamar Hunt and the Chiefs organization for honoring Bill Snyder before the game today. They had video highlights of Bills career, and honored him at midfield today. Didn't hear too many boos from the MU/KU/NU bunch, either.

WilliamTheIrish
12-04-2005, 10:16 PM
How do you really feel?
:)

Pat, it kills me that KSU is stuck with a site like that. It would be different if it were more like this site. Here, we're brash and (sometimes) vulgar but at the very least Chiefs Planet is always, always funny.

One way to increase your premium content subscriptions is to make a GREAT impression on your free board. GoPowercat doesn't do that. It's an embarrassment.

If I were the owner of that site.....I'd do much better.

leviw
12-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Pat, it kills me that KSU is stuck with a site like that. It would be different if it were more like this site. Here, we're brash and (sometimes) vulgar but at the very least Chiefs Planet is always, always funny.

One way to increase your premium content subscriptions is to make a GREAT impression on your free board. GoPowercat doesn't do that. It's an embarrassment.

If I were the owner of that site.....I'd do much better.

Rivals is the "owner" of the site. Fitz and the guys have enough to worry about with what goes on on the premium board to spend too much time paying attention to the free board. As long as it stays clean over there, I doubt they pay a whole lot of attention.

Are you a premium subscriber? If not, you probably should be. If so, why the hell are you spending time on the free board anyway?

WilliamTheIrish
12-04-2005, 10:36 PM
Rivals is the "owner" of the site. Fitz and the guys have enough to worry about with what goes on on the premium board to spend too much time paying attention to the free board. As long as it stays clean over there, I doubt they pay a whole lot of attention.

Are you a premium subscriber? If not, you probably should be. If so, why the hell are you spending time on the free board anyway?

Thanks. To be honest, I didn't know who owned what.

What's Fatz got to worry about? Somebody stealing his list of clients? The free board needs to more than 'clean'. If you have a group of individuals who constantly act like complete asshats every time they plink out a message on their keyboards, they do not add to the atmosphere of the site.

There's no question Fitz/Rivcals pay no attention to the free board. That's the problem.

No, I'm not a premium subscriber. I'm curious as to why you think I should be?

1)What does 10$ a month get me that I can't get in the paper or on the internet somewhere else for free?

2)If you have a premium membership, tell me what is the advantage?

Finally, if a guy doesn't care to make a decent impression on his free board, then wth would I trust him to run a good pay board?

Saulbadguy
12-04-2005, 10:37 PM
The only thing i'd be interested in the premium section would be info on incoming recruits and prospects. Don't really care about the stories, or the "scoops".

leviw
12-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Thanks. To be honest, I didn't know who owned what.

What's Fatz got to worry about? Somebody stealing his list of clients? The free board needs to more than 'clean'. If you have a group of individuals who constantly act like complete asshats every time they plink out a message on their keyboards, they do not add to the atmosphere of the site.

There's no question Fitz/Rivcals pay no attention to the free board. That's the problem.

No, I'm not a premium subscriber. I'm curious as to why you think I should be?

1)What does 10$ a month get me that I can't get in the paper or on the internet somewhere else for free?

2)If you have a premium membership, tell me what is the advantage?

Finally, if a guy doesn't care to make a decent impression on his free board, then wth would I trust him to run a good pay board?

First of all, the free board doesn't pull in the subscribers; the premium stories do, especially when recruiting heats up.

There's really nothing on there that you can't get from a paper or the Internet, only that you'll get it sooner. If your not into getting information immediatley, then it probably isn't worth it to you.

Fitz has great sources and gives a lot of "insider" information. (He was the first "media" outlet to break the Snyder retirement story and the first to confirm the Prince hiring.)

The premium stories are always good, whether it's a feature story, recruiting, game stories, whatever.

As for the premium message board, it was ridiculous with rumors and speculation and so forth, good for a lot of arguments. But, also pretty annoying to sort through all that to find relevant information. If you're not in to that, more just straight-ahead factual information and fun posting (like the Planet), then you won't find it there.

Basically, if you're going to go premium, do it for the information and stories you get, not for the message board; that's just a little incentive, in my eyes.

WilliamTheIrish
12-04-2005, 11:05 PM
First of all, the free board doesn't pull in the subscribers; the premium stories do, especially when recruiting heats up.

There's really nothing on there that you can't get from a paper or the Internet, only that you'll get it sooner. If your not into getting information immediatley, then it probably isn't worth it to you.

Fitz has great sources and gives a lot of "insider" information. (He was the first "media" outlet to break the Snyder retirement story and the first to confirm the Prince hiring.)

The premium stories are always good, whether it's a feature story, recruiting, game stories, whatever.

As for the premium message board, it was ridiculous with rumors and speculation and so forth, good for a lot of arguments. But, also pretty annoying to sort through all that to find relevant information. If you're not in to that, more just straight-ahead factual information and fun posting (like the Planet), then you won't find it there.

Basically, if you're going to go premium, do it for the information and stories you get, not for the message board; that's just a little incentive, in my eyes.

Interesting. The recruiting aspect has never been my gig. I've done the free trial script but could never justify the outlay. (But that's just me)
As for teh retirement/hiring story: When did GP confirm that Prince was going to be hired? The (free) Scout board had it last Wednesday.

Anyway, thanks for your perspective. Maybe I'm just biased. I have been to many free Rivals boards and they all seem to have a funner, friendlier atmosphere that GoPowercat. Course those boards probably don't put up with the idiots that seem to overrun GP.

Ultra Peanut
12-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Too bad Kstatefans has no basketball coverage whatsoever. You guys play basketball? When did this happen?

leviw
12-04-2005, 11:19 PM
Interesting. The recruiting aspect has never been my gig. I've done the free trial script but could never justify the outlay. (But that's just me)
As for teh retirement/hiring story: When did GP confirm that Prince was going to be hired? The (free) Scout board had it last Wednesday.

Anyway, thanks for your perspective. Maybe I'm just biased. I have been to many free Rivals boards and they all seem to have a funner, friendlier atmosphere that GoPowercat. Course those boards probably don't put up with the idiots that seem to overrun GP.

With Prince, GP put up a profile of him very early on...well over a week ago...when they were putting together possible candidate profiles. But, last Wednesday is when it really picked up when Ivan Misel of ESPN.com reported that Prince and K-State had met. They started putting together stories then, and obviously the board picked up on it, too.

But, as far as actually confirming that he was the coach that was going to be hired, that happened late Friday night. Most newspapers that cover K-State cited GP for their own confirming sources for Saturday's papers.

Anyway, if you're not into the recruiting and don't really care about the content, then you'll probably be fine using the free services. Actually, if you're really concerned with the free message board, I can give you an e-mail address and you can express your concerns to someone who can look into taking care of it for you. Drop me a PM and I'll give it to you.

Saulbadguy
12-05-2005, 05:44 PM
You guys watch the presser?

Has Wefald always been this..uh..weird?

leviw
12-05-2005, 09:42 PM
You guys watch the presser?

Has Wefald always been this..uh..weird?

I was there.

Yes. Absolutley. As long as I've known him.

WilliamTheIrish
12-05-2005, 09:50 PM
I've met Wefald. He's an odd duck, for sure.

But always friendly. Stopped by a tailgate I was at once. Just outta the blue. Had coffee, made small talk.

I know several professors who find him to be less than presidential though.

But I like the guy.

leviw
12-05-2005, 09:54 PM
I've met Wefald. He's an odd duck, for sure.

But always friendly. Stopped by a tailgate I was at once. Just outta the blue. Had coffee, made small talk.

I know several professors who find him to be less than presidential though.

But I like the guy.

His Martin Luther King Jr. reference today was boderline: "WTF are you doing, Jon?"

WilliamTheIrish
12-05-2005, 09:56 PM
His Martin Luther King Jr. reference today was boderline: "WTF are you doing, Jon?"

An odd duck for sure. Other than that, I thought the whole thing went well.

can't wait for the guy to hit the recruiting trail.

leviw
12-05-2005, 10:05 PM
An odd duck for sure. Other than that, I thought the whole thing went well.

can't wait for the guy to hit the recruiting trail.

That was the consensus today. Everyone liked what he had to say. It will be awhile before we know if saying the right things translates to winning, because that's the bottom line.

WilliamTheIrish
12-05-2005, 10:11 PM
That was the consensus today. Everyone liked what he had to say. It will be awhile before we know if saying the right things translates to winning, because that's the bottom line.

Yep. Time to ge the assistants in place and garner some commits.

I can't wait for spring.

leviw
12-05-2005, 10:17 PM

I can't wait for spring.

Sounds like he's not wasting any time. Word is he's hitting the recruiting trail at 4 a.m. tomorrow morning.

Coach
12-05-2005, 10:23 PM

I can't wait for spring.

Texas Tech's Ruffin McNeil appears to be the leading person for the Wildcat's DC. Anything's got to be better than what KSU had (Elliot).

Also, it appears that Tim McCarty, East Central University's head coach, will be KSU's offensive line coach.

Coach
12-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Confirming that McCarty is the new KSU O-Line coach.

Still nothing about Ruffin McNeil yet, at least not that I'm aware of.

Pat Washington is now a wildcat, probably a WR coach.

http://utsports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/washington_pat00.html

Saulbadguy
12-06-2005, 08:11 PM
I'm so effin pumped up for spring ball.

Coach
12-22-2005, 07:08 PM
*bump*

Coach
12-22-2005, 07:09 PM
Prince adds four to coaching staff

MANHATTAN, Kan. - Kansas State head football coach Ron Prince continued building his staff on Thursday as he named four more assistant coaches to his staff.

The latest additions, which include Raheem Morris, former Kansas State linebacker Matt Wallerstedt, Tim Horton and James Jones, bring K-State's total number of assistant coaches to eight. The quartet joins Mo Latimore, Tim McCarty, Tim Tibesar and Pat Washington, who were named to the staff on Dec. 8.

"This is an exciting time in the history of our program at Kansas State and we am extremely proud to announce the addition of these coaches to our staff," Prince said. "All four of these men are outstanding coaches and diligent workers. But most of all they are men of integrity and we are convinced that they all play an integral role in helping this program reach its goals."

A rising star in the coaching fraternity, Morris coached with Prince at Cornell (N.Y.) University in 1999 and is currently finishing up his fourth season with the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers and his second as the organization's assistant defensive backs coach. He will join the Kansas State staff as the Wildcats' defensive coordinator and secondary coach.

During his tenure with the Buccaneers, Tampa Bay has ranked in the top five in the NFL in total defense every year and twice finished as the top-ranked pass defense (2002 and 2004). The Bucs currently own the league's No. 2-ranked defensive unit and the eighth-ranked pass defense.

Morris spent the 2003 season as a defensive assistant, working closely with defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin as the Buccaneers' defense finished the year ranked fifth in total defense (279.1 ypg), marking the seventh straight season (1997-2003) the defense finished in the top 10.

In 2004, Morris helped the Bucs defense extend its streak to eight straight seasons, the longest streak in the NFL, as the defense again finished as the fifth-ranked unit in the league. In 2002, his first season as a coach in the NFL, Morris studied under Kiffin and helped guide the Buccaneers top-ranked defense as they captured the franchise's first world title in Super Bowl XXXVII.

Morris joined the Tampa Bay organization after spending the 2000 and 2001 seasons as the defensive backs coach at Hofstra (N.Y.) University. He also spent time in the fall of 2001 with the New York Jets serving a defensive minority internship.

Morris began his collegiate coaching career as a graduate assistant coach at Hofstra in 1998, before landing his first full-time coaching assignment at Cornell as the Big Red's defensive backs coach and special teams assistant.

A 1998 graduate of Hofstra University with a bachelor's in physical education, Morris was a standout safety for the Flying Dutchmen (now called the Pride) during his collegiate career from 1994-97.

Wallerstedt's addition to the K-State coaching staff will be a homecoming for the former standout Wildcat linebacker, who will finish up his second season as Akron's associate head coach and linebackers coach when the Mid-America Conference champion Zips square off with Memphis in the Motor City Bowl on Monday. He will coach the Wildcats' linebacker as serve as K-State's recruiting coordinator

A 1984 graduate of Manhattan High School, Wallerstedt lettered at Kansas State from 1984-1987 and led the Wildcats in tackles as a junior and senior. In fact, his 165 tackles in 1987 still rank fifth on K-State's single-season tackle chart, while his 331 career stops rank ninth all time in school history.

Wallerstedt received his coaching start as a student assistant with the Wildcats in 1988 while finishing his K-State degree in business management, before going on to serve two seasons as a graduate assistant in 1989 and 1990 at Arizona State.

He received his first full-time coaching opportunity as the defensive line coach at Fort Hays (Kan.) State in 1994. He helped guide Fort Hays State to a share of the 1995 Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference championship with an 8-2-2 record and a No. 18 national ranking before moving on to coach defensive backs at Emporia State in 1996.

In 1997, Wallerstedt began a six-year stint at Wyoming, where he was hired to coach the defensive line by his former K-State teammate and then Cowboy head coach Dana Dimmel. In just his first year in Laramie, Wyo., the Cowboys ranked second in the nation in sacks (54), sixth in pass defense, 17th in scoring defense and 23rd in total defense. The 1998 defensive squad was 28th nationally in scoring defense, as Wyoming became a fixture in both national polls during the 1998 and 1999 seasons.

Wallerstedt also produced four All-Western Athletic Conference defensive linemen before taking over as the Cowboys' defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach in 2000. From 2000 to 2002, Wallerstedt mentored three All-Mountain West selections, including Kwabena Peprah (2000 honorable mention), Leo Caires (2001 second team) and Tyler Gottschalk (2002 honorable mention).

A very successful one-year stay as the defensive coordinator at North Alabama followed in 2003, before Wallerstedt was named to his current position at Akron. While at UNA, Wallerstedt took a defense that was allowing 33.6 points-per-game and 391.7 yards per game and turned it into a stingy group that allowed just 14.1 ppg (sixth nationally) and a Gulf South Conference-best 295.6 ypg in 2003.

Since arriving at Akron, Wallerstedt has mentored a pair of All-Mid-America Conference linebackers in Brion Stokes and Jay Rohr, who were named to the second team and honorable mention squads, respectively, this past season. Wallerstedt has also helped transform a defensive unit that this past season ranked second in the MAC in total defense and made a 75-spot improvement nationally, going from 98th to 23rd since his arrival.

Horton, who will coach the Wildcats' running backs, comes to K-State from the Air Force Academy, where he has served the past seven seasons as a member of Fisher DeBerry's staff.

From 1999 through 2004, Horton coached the Academy's wide receivers and developed a unit that was once viewed as a liability into one of the strengths of the program.

In just his first season at Air Force in 1999, Horton mentored wide out Matt Farmer, who hauled in 34 catches for 484 yards and earned a roster spot in both the Hula Bowl and Blue-Gray All-Star Classic that season.

A year later, Horton also helped develop Ryan Fleming into one of the Academy's best ever. Fleming, who is regarded as the best option-era receiver ever produced by the Academy, led the Mountain West Conference in receiving with 52 receptions for 930 yards - the second-most ever by an AFA receiver - and became Air Force's first ever first team all-conference selection at wide receiver.

Other notable Falcon wide outs tutored by Horton include Anthony Park, Alec Messerall and J.P. Waller.

In 2005, Horton took the coaching reins of the Falcons' halfbacks, perhaps the Academy's most high-profile unit. The group once again proved to be a key ingredient to one of the nation's most potent ground attacks as Air Force ranked eighth in the country in rushing while averaging 246.6 yards per game.

In addition to his position coaching responsibilities, Horton assists with the Falcons' special teams, coaching the kick block, kickoff return and hands team.

Horton received his coaching start at Appalachian State in 1990 and helped guide the Mountaineers to a 67-32 record during his eight-year tenure on the staff that included Southern Conference titles in 1991 and 1995 and five appearances in the Division I-AA playoffs.

From 1990-92, Horton coach Appalachian State's receivers and tight ends before taking over as the Mountaineers' running backs coach in 1993.

While at Appalachian State, Horton coached five all-conference players, two of the top three career rushers and two of the top eight all-time receivers in school history.

A 1990 graduate of the University of Arkansas, Horton was a four-year letterman and three-year starter as a receiver and punt returner for the Razorbacks under head coach Ken Hatfield.

He served as team captain his senior year and helped the Razorbacks to back-to-back Southwest Conference titles in 1988 and 1989. On an individual level, Horton won the Gordon Campbell Spirit Award and was a two-time academic all-conference selection. He was also a second-team all-conference selection in 1989.

Jones, an experienced young coach who served on the Cornell staff with Prince in 1999, will coach K-State's tight ends and assist with the Wildcats' special teams after leading Dartmouth's defensive line last season.

Prior to his joining the Big Green staff, Jones served the 2004 season as the assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at Prairie View A&M. In 2003, Jones was the defensive line coach at Texas Southern, which came after a three-year stint at Wagner College in Staten Island, N.Y., from 2000-02.

While on the staff at Wagner, Jones worked in a variety of rolls, including serving as the strength and conditioning coordinator, defensive line coach (2000, 2002), defensive coordinator (2001) and special teams coordinator (2000).

In 1999, Jones was the special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach at Cornell. In 1998, Jones received his first full-time coaching position when he was appointed as the defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator at Morehouse College.

Jones, who earned a bachelor's degree in biology from Texas Southern in 1997 and a master's in education from Wagner in 2002, received his coaching start at TSU in 1996 as a student assistant coach. He went on to serve as a graduate assistant at Bowling Green in 1997, where he worked with the Falcons' defensive line.

Saulbadguy
12-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Man, Ron Prince is awesome. The rest of the Big XII North is in trouble.

Coach
12-22-2005, 07:19 PM
So this would the coaching staff would look like, if I figured this correctly.

Head Coach
Ron Prince

Offense
Offensive Coordinator: TBA
Quarterbacks: TBA
Offensive Line: Tim McCarty
Running Backs: Tim Horton
Wide Receivers: Pat Washington
Tight Ends: James Jones

Defense
Defensive Coordinator: Raheem Morris
Defensive Line: Mo Latimore
Linebackers: Matt Wallerstedt
Secondary: Raheem Morris

Special Teams
Coordinator: Tim Tibesar

Saulbadguy
12-22-2005, 07:23 PM
I believe Raheem Morris will also handle the defensive backs.

Coach
12-22-2005, 07:24 PM
I believe Raheem Morris will also handle the defensive backs.

I believe you would be correct. I would also imagine whoever the OC is, will be the QB coach as well.

Brock
12-22-2005, 08:16 PM
This guy sounds like he's going to be a great hire.

Coach
12-22-2005, 08:21 PM
This guy sounds like he's going to be a great hire.

Not doing too shabby on recruting so far.

4* QB J. Freeman 6-6 231
3* TE M. Pooshke 6-3 245
2* DB C. Edmond 6-2 220
2* WR J. Barnett 6-0 190
3* DB D. Anderson 5-11 170
4* RB J. Johnson 5-11 200
2* AT C. Wilson 6-1 185
3* DE W. Daniels 6-3 230
3* DT Z. Kendall 6-4 280
3* RB L. Patton 5-7 174