PDA

View Full Version : Ty Law...

recxjake
11-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Jets | Law expendable this offseason?
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:52:22 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets CB Ty Law could be in his final season with the team as early speculation indicates the Jets will be almost 30 million over the salary cap next season. Law does not figure in the team's future rebuilding at his age (31), salary and his inconsistent performance this year. Law has five interceptions this season, but leads the team with nine penalties. Law also has an $11 million option bonus due in March.

NOOOOOO CARL!

Count Alex's Wins
11-30-2005, 09:54 PM
I say bring his ass in!

ArrowheadHawk
11-30-2005, 09:55 PM
I say bring his ass in!
i second that motion

Coach
11-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Bring him in, and kick McPasson to the curb.

Stinger
11-30-2005, 10:02 PM
He will still want his big pay check no way could we afford Surtain and Law. He has proven that his injury is healed, which scared off a lot of teams now being healthy I would think that his stock has gone up beyond the Chiefs ability unfortunatly.

milkman
11-30-2005, 10:04 PM
I say bring his ass in!

Surtain and Warfield make a nice #1/2 combo.
Sapp is improving by the game.

If Julian Battle is as improved as the coaches say he was before he was injured, a claim I'm more inclined to believe now that I see Kawika's improvement with my own eyes, and Alphonso Hodge turns out to be as good as he looked in preseason, then I have to ask the question "Why?"

Why bring in Law, when it appears that our secondary is begining to look like it could be really good?

Dark Horse
11-30-2005, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=SideWinde

Why bring in Law, when it appears that our secondary is begining to look like it could be really good?[/QUOTE]

I agree, we have more pressing needs, besides pass rush is the quickest way to a good secondary

Rausch
11-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Why bring in Law, when it appears that our secondary is begining to look like it could be really good?

Because Washington is old and we're one injury away from Dexter...

milkman
11-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Because Washington is old and we're one injury away from Dexter...

We are talking about next season, when Battle will be back, and Alphoso Hodge will likely replace McPassOn on the roster, which I believe he should have done this season.

recxjake
11-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Law is 31, and expensive... he would probably play 1 or 2 years after signing a big time contract and it would screw up the cap for years... signing older players is not the answer

siberian khatru
11-30-2005, 10:43 PM
"If Carl is serious about a Super Bowl ..."

Rausch
11-30-2005, 10:55 PM
We are talking about next season, when Battle will be back,

We have no idea how he'll come back, or if he'll come back at all.

and Alphoso Hodge will likely replace McPassOn on the roster, which I believe he should have done this season.

We know absolutely nothing about Hodge. You seen him play this year?

You feel safe with him why? Because unlike Dexter he hasn't proved he completely sucks?

milkman
11-30-2005, 11:01 PM
We have no idea how he'll come back, or if he'll come back at all.

He tore an ACL, right?
Should be able to come back and be ready by the start of next season.

Of course, if I'm wrong about the injury, then that could change things.

We know absolutely nothing about Hodge. You seen him play this year?

You feel safe with him why? Because unlike Dexter he hasn't proved he completely sucks?

I know what I saw of Hodge in preseason, he looked like a kid with potential, and he certainly is more physical than McPassOn.

And we are talking about a kid who would start out as our 5th corner, providing everything else comes together.

chefsos
11-30-2005, 11:06 PM
He tore an ACL, right?
Ruptured Achilles. Unsure if that's better, or worse.

Rausch
11-30-2005, 11:10 PM

Much worse.

An ACL is no longer a lock for retirement.

I know what I saw of Hodge in preseason, he looked like a kid with potential, and he certainly is more physical than McPassOn.

And we are talking about a kid who would start out as our 5th corner, providing everything else comes together.

Bartee has amazing potential. Unrealized, and likely it will remain that way.

And you're saying we'll be fine with him instead of Washington and Dexter. That means he's our 3rd or 4th CB...

Dunit35
11-30-2005, 11:14 PM
Much worse.

And you're saying we'll be fine with him instead of Washington and Dexter. That means he's our 3rd or 4th CB...

I saw Battle tear his Achilles(sp?) at the mini-camp at Arrowhead. An Achilles isnt all that bad, isnt Julian Peterson doing good, he tore his too.

Coach
11-30-2005, 11:16 PM
I saw Battle tear his Achilles(sp?) at the mini-camp at Arrowhead. An Achilles isnt all that bad, isnt Julian Peterson doing good, he tore his too.

Well, Kimble Anders tore his Achilles, and that pretty much ended his career IIRC.

milkman
11-30-2005, 11:16 PM
Much worse.

That changes things as far as Battle is concerned.

Ruptured achilles.
You'd think I would remember that.

He, Hodge, was a CB in college.
Bartee wasn't.

But my whole scenario was based on an improving Battle as our 3rd or 4th CB, and Hodge as the 5th.

Dunit35
11-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Well, Kimble Anders tore his Achilles, and that pretty much ended his career IIRC.

Oh, Im just going off of thinking that Julian Peterson is doing good? Im not sure if he is. But, I do know he tore his Achilles. So Battle could recover.

Coach
11-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Oh, Im just going off of thinking that Julian Peterson is doing good? Im not sure if he is. But, I do know he tore his Achilles. So Battle could recover.

Nothing wrong with that. I guess it just depends what's their recovery rate and their age I suppose.

Julian was a young player when he tore it, so I guess he had that advantage. Of course, I wasn't sure how old Kimble was when he tore his.

I guess another thing to factor in is the severity of the tear/ruptured. :shrug:

digi2fish
11-30-2005, 11:27 PM
I don't think we need this guy.

Dunit35
11-30-2005, 11:29 PM
Nothing wrong with that. I guess it just depends what's their recovery rate and their age I suppose.

Julian was a young player when he tore it, so I guess he had that advantage. Of course, I wasn't sure how old Kimble was when he tore his.

I guess another thing to factor in is the severity of the tear/ruptured. :shrug:

I swear Kimble was older, but yeah the severity of an injury is always a factor.

Rausch
11-30-2005, 11:32 PM

Peterson has no INT's and two sacks all year.

Those two sacks came in week one. Since then he's been invisible...

Rausch
11-30-2005, 11:34 PM
I don't think we need this guy.

We don't need him, but we do need quality depth at the CB position...

Mecca
11-30-2005, 11:37 PM
This whole debate is moot. The Chiefs will be cutting salary after this season not adding it. I think most of us should just be realistic and admit a major rebuilding job should be coming after this season.

Rausch
11-30-2005, 11:38 PM
This whole debate is moot. The Chiefs will be cutting salary after this season not adding it. I think most of us should just be realistic and admit a major rebuilding job should be coming after this season.

No, it isn't.

Why would we cut salary when we're already millions under the cap?

You add possible retirements of Roaf, Shields, or Holmes and we are WAY under the cap...

Mecca
11-30-2005, 11:40 PM
The Chiefs are projected at 30 million dollars over next years cap.......

Rausch
11-30-2005, 11:42 PM
The Chiefs are projected at 30 million dollars over next years cap.......

No, they aren't.

I have no idea where you get that number...

Mecca
11-30-2005, 11:43 PM
That number has been reported by numerous places. The Chiefs, Raiders and Broncos are all over next years cap. The only team in our division under it is San Diego.

Mecca
11-30-2005, 11:45 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=126281&highlight=2006+salary

Here from our own board, it's 20.7 not 30, but that's still largely over the cap.

Dunit35
11-30-2005, 11:48 PM
Peterson has no INT's and two sacks all year.

Those two sacks came in week one. Since then he's been invisible...

Nevermind then, I just thought I heard somewhere that he was a top free-agent or something. Maybe not. He tore his achilles.

Rausch
12-01-2005, 12:00 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=126281&highlight=2006+salary

Here from our own board, it's 20.7 not 30, but that's still largely over the cap.

So your assessment was 10 million different than the "projected" salary cap of next year, by one analyist.

The CBA agreement expires in 2007. That means the NFL absolutely must reach an agreement in this offseason or face a holdout/lockout situation.

You do a google on the topic and almost every article agrees that the NFL will allow a big jump in the salary cap to maintain a NFL salary cap.

That points to a TON of NFL contracts being restructured to allow bigger payouts in 07. And there's no gaurantee there'll even be a cap at all by then.

And those numbers listed in that thread do not consider any possible restructuring of contracts, the situation with Sims, any retirements, or cutting anyone THIS season to absorb the cap hit instead of next season.

Mecca
12-01-2005, 12:01 AM
If there's ever a time when there's no salary cap the Chiefs will be screwed........

Rausch
12-01-2005, 12:11 AM
If there's ever a time when there's no salary cap the Chiefs will be screwed........

The NFL will be screwed.

And I'll have to find a different BB to annoy 24/7...

jspchief
12-01-2005, 07:17 AM
We're going to have more pressing needs than #3 CB this off-season. We already have a lot of money tied up in the two starters we have at that position. It won't do us any good to have a $70m secondary if we have holes at D-line and O-line.

There comes a point where you have to get something out of your draft picks. We have two young CBs that should provide us the neccessary depth.

Count Alex's Wins
12-01-2005, 07:21 AM
Oops. Jspchief is right.

That money needs to go towards D-line.

Gaz
12-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Look, Surtain & Warfield are a fine starting tandem. Sapp shows a lot of promise. The Staff is high on Battle and we do not know what we might have in Hodge. The Secondary is fine as it is.

The problem is up front. Now, perhaps Sims can provide the interior push we need, but we need help on the DLine.

And we need even more help on the OLine.

Give it up Law Homers. The Ty window is closed. Get over it.

Can we please put the Ty Law crap behind us?

xoxo~
Gaz
Really hoped that Surtain put an end to the Law nonsense.

Frankie
12-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Surtain and Warfield make a nice #1/2 combo.
Sapp is improving by the game.

If Julian Battle is as improved as the coaches say he was before he was injured, a claim I'm more inclined to believe now that I see Kawika's improvement with my own eyes, and Alphonso Hodge turns out to be as good as he looked in preseason, then I have to ask the question "Why?"

I tatally agree.

Also it's nice to see you give the current coaches some credit. ;)

Brock
12-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Dre Bly has probably talked himself out of Detroit.

Not that it makes any difference in KC, the secondary appears set.

dtebbe
12-01-2005, 11:46 AM
I agree, Warfield has came back strong, and what I like most is that he TACKLES. You can bet if he gets his hands on the guy 99% of the time he either puts him down or holds them up until help arrives. Greg Wesley should take notes, I'm sick of his ass bouncing off guys when he tries for the killshot every time. Warfiled brings the wood AND wraps up, textbook. I think he has shown great effort since he came back, and honestly I don't see Ty Law as an upgrade at this point. Let's face it, with the rules the way they are now, every corner is going to get burned once in a while. As long as the guy is in position, you really can't complain much. What amazes me is how league-wide corners play so soft now... you would think that since you can only jam in the first 5 yards guys would get up there and mug the reciever at the LOS... but 5-10 even 15 yard cushions seem to be the norm now.

DT

Mr. Laz
12-01-2005, 01:00 PM
waaaaaaaay worse imo

for his position is could be career ending

milkman
12-01-2005, 10:19 PM
I agree, Warfield has came back strong, and what I like most is that he TACKLES. You can bet if he gets his hands on the guy 99% of the time he either puts him down or holds them up until help arrives. Greg Wesley should take notes, I'm sick of his ass bouncing off guys when he tries for the killshot every time. Warfiled brings the wood AND wraps up, textbook. I think he has shown great effort since he came back, and honestly I don't see Ty Law as an upgrade at this point. Let's face it, with the rules the way they are now, every corner is going to get burned once in a while. As long as the guy is in position, you really can't complain much. What amazes me is how league-wide corners play so soft now... you would think that since you can only jam in the first 5 yards guys would get up there and mug the reciever at the LOS... but 5-10 even 15 yard cushions seem to be the norm now.

DT

That statement about Wesley was true earlier in the season, but he has played solid, including making good tackles, in the last month.

Frankie
12-02-2005, 09:32 AM
That statement about Wesley was true earlier in the season, but he has played solid, including making good tackles, in the last month.
Agreed. Wesley is now one of the bright spots on the defense.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-02-2005, 11:08 AM
-- Remember when Ty Law was one of the league's top cornerbacks? No longer. According to STATS, the Jets defensive back has allowed 21 completions on the 33 passes thrown at him this season, which ranks him no better than 20th out of 103 corners. Law, who is due an $11 million option bonus in March, almost certainly will be released before then.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/13308224.htm