PDA

View Full Version : Sauerbrun, SC doc on tape discussing how to beat steriod tests

Bootlegged
12-02-2005, 09:14 AM
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/breaking_news/13307491.htm

Shortt told players how to beat NFL drug tests

Audiotapes reveal former West Columbia doctor saying he ‘can triple your testosterone levels without blowing any whistles’

By LAUREN LEACH

Staff Writer

‘You want to use a natural testosterone’

Taped consultations with three current and former Carolina Panthers reveal Dr. James Shortt advising the players how to use performance-enhancing drugs without failing NFL drug tests.

“You came to see me ... wanting some performance enhancement,” Shortt said in a June 24, 2003, tape-recorded conversation with Todd Sauerbrun. “We can do that — legal performance enhancement because you’re drug tested in your profession.”

Judge Joe Anderson heard excerpts from the audiotapes Thursday during a hearing in the federal steroid case against Shortt.

The 59-year-old former West Columbia alternative-medicine doctor was indicted in September and again in November on charges of illegally prescribing steroids to professional football players, bodybuilders and police.

He met individually with Sauerbrun, Wesley Walls and Jeff Mitchell in 2003.

In a Feb. 18, 2003, taped meeting with Walls, Shortt gave him this advice:

“Now here’s the key. You want to use a natural testosterone. You do not want to use testosterone or any kind of Depo (testosterone injection) because that’s how they test you. They look for the Depo.

“For somebody like you, I can triple your testosterone levels without blowing any whistles. If you use fake anabolics — Deca durabolin, Winstrol, you know, Anadrol — if you start using those, those little ratios they test will skew. If you use a natural testosterone, your ratios always come out right.”

Walls now is retired and lives in Charlotte.

The three tapes and 16 others were seized under a search warrant for Shortt’s office. The doctor taped his consultations and gave copies to his patients.

“It was a nice find,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Winston Holliday said. He declined to say whether the 16 other tapes involved NFL players.

Thursday’s hearing was to determine whether the August HBO television special “CostasNow,” featuring Shortt and several NFL players, could be used as evidence during Shortt’s trial, which is scheduled for March.

Prosecutors played the audiotapes to show that what Shortt said in the HBO special contradicted what he told patients.

“I’m just trying to help some folks heal and repair and maintain, and do as well as they can do,” Shortt said in the HBO special.

Anderson has not ruled onthe HBO tape’s use in the trial.

Shortt’s federal public defender, Allen Burnside, declined to comment.

Columbia attorney Jim Griffin, who represents Sauerbrun, said his client is cooperating. Sauerbrun, a punter, plays for the Denver Broncos.

Regarding the tape, Griffin said: “It was a consultation. People should not read too much into the tape. It shows that Todd was seeking the advice of a medical doctor, and that’s all it shows.”

Efforts to reach the other players and their attorneys were unsuccessful Thursday.

In an interview for the HBO show, Shortt said he treated approximately 18 NFL players during the past five years, providing half with anabolic steroids and most with injections of growth hormones.

Shortt was first indicted in September on 29 counts, most of which accused him of illegally prescribing steroids from Jan. 16, 2001, to April 2, 2004.

In November, he was charged with 11 counts of distributing human growth hormones and three counts of prescribing anabolic steroids for nonmedical purposes during the same time frame.

Steroids and human growth hormones are banned by the National Football League. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined to comment Thursday about the audiotapes.

Shortt pleaded not guilty in October and was allowed to remain free provided he met certain conditions. He now lives in California.

The state medical licensing board temporarily suspended Shortt’s license April 14; a final determination has not been reached. His office near Columbia Metropolitan Airport is closed.

Shortt has declined repeated interview requests by The State, though he has said publicly that he prescribed steroids to help patients heal — not as performance enhancers.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-02-2005, 09:19 AM
I still think punters on the juice is the funniest thing I have ever heard. I know it probably helps them kick farther, but it is still funny. And even better when that punter is now a Donk. Go figure, first Romo now Sauerbum.

Bwana
12-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Hmmm? Could explain the bar "incident" at River Falls this summer. :hmmm: