PDA

View Full Version : Best Spyware protection/removal program?

Sure-Oz
12-03-2005, 02:59 PM
I dl'ed a trial of Webroot Spysweeper and it removed a nasty ass spyware i got where i had stupid winfixer pop up and shit, cpu i thought was ****ed up but it recovered after a restart. I have a 30 day trial then its like $29 for a year or something, worth it or are there better programs and such, i also have a mcafee antivirus but that dont protect vs spyware bs. I noticed this program is a tad bit of a memory hog and take a few seconds for my browser to load. I do have adaware too but i hardly use it, doesn't seem that great to me after this thing fixed my main problem.

Anyway suggestions or stick with it?

WisChief
12-03-2005, 03:02 PM
http://www.spywarebegone.com/

I use on my laptop (personal) and SBC Yahoo provides their own on my desk top. Spywarebegone has been very, very good.

DaFace
12-03-2005, 03:03 PM
IMO, SpySweeper is probably the best program that you can buy. If you're looking for freebies, MicrosoftAntiSpyware is decent, but a collection of freebies works best.

Here's a nifty little chart by PC World that compares some of the more popular programs:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,122496,pg,6,00.asp

Sure-Oz
12-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks, i'll see how the trial holds out and see if its worth spending on, i already pay for my mcafee so if i dont have extra cizassh for that i will dl that microsoft one maybe and check out the spybegone as well, thanks

Reaper16
12-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Spybot - Search and Destroy (www.safer-networking.org/)

It's free, and works for me.

Frosty
12-05-2005, 02:23 PM
WindowsSecrets.com has this to say in their baseline security review:

3. Antispyware program. Sunbelt Software CounterSpy 1.0 ($20) is the most effective remover of spyware for individual PC users, according to comparative tests published by Laptop Magazine. For small to medium businesses, Sunbelt's CounterSpy Enterprise ($255 for 10 machines) is top-rated by eWeek, Windows IT Pro, and Network Computing Magazine as a centrally managed program. Note: PC World has recently given a higher rating to Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.0 than CounterSpy 1.0.

Spybot S&D and Adaware were both tested and were only able to detect about 60% of the spyware in the tests, when used together - either one was about 50% separately.