PDA

View Full Version : I just bought a horribly shitty game!

KC Jones
12-04-2005, 01:15 AM
So, I'm bored of BF2 and all the uber aircraft and other gameplay drags. I need a new game. Normally I carefully read reviews and really look for something I want, but this time I just decide to hop in the car and pick up something. I run down to EB Games and recognize something I had recently read a good review for: Dragonshard. It's basically a D&D RTS with some RPG elements thrown in. Now mind you I passed up the following games that were on my interest list: GuildWars, WoW, Black and White II, AOE III, Rome Total War, Civ 4, Pirates!

I've just finished the 3rd campaign scenario and I have no desire to play this any more. I had no desire after the first scenario but I figured it must get better. I think Warcraft III had better gameplay, graphics, blend of RTS/RPG, camera controls, etc. I wasn't even that big of a Warcraft III fan to begin with - Warlords had done a better job of blending RTS and heros (RPG) to begin with and it was a much deeper strategy game. The interface for this piece of shit is awful - sometimes left clicking executes the selected action and sometimes it's right clicking that does it.

Maybe it's just karma for my having played so many pirated games for free.

rant over - move along, nothing to see here.

SLAG
12-04-2005, 01:30 AM
Well Chitty Games are....... Well..... Chitty

Guru
12-04-2005, 02:07 AM
Try the Path of Neo. You will love BF2 then. PON sucks.

Spicy McHaggis
12-04-2005, 03:53 AM
Just so you know, B&W 2 is overrated (again) and Rome Total War is great fun. Watching your calvary charge into the undefended flank of an enemy and mow them down has never been more entertaining.

Pants
12-04-2005, 03:59 AM
Just so you know, B&W 2 is overrated (again) and Rome Total War is great fun. Watching your calvary charge into the undefended flank of an enemy and mow them down has never been more entertaining.

I was going to say the same thing. I've been playing a Rome campaign since last march (just recently took Rome, itself) and it's simply awesome. I DL'ed, I mean my friend DL'ed B&W2 and it got deleted the same day. Lets see Rome - lasting 9 months, B&W2 - lasted a day.

AeroSquid
12-04-2005, 09:06 AM
Sid Meiers Pirates! is a pretty fun game. Worth the download imo. How about a FPS? FEAR and Quake 4 are both really fun but you will need a pretty decent pc to take full advantage of their graphics.

KC Jones
12-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Sid Meiers Pirates! is a pretty fun game. Worth the download imo. How about a FPS? FEAR and Quake 4 are both really fun but you will need a pretty decent pc to take full advantage of their graphics.

I played the original Pirates! back in the day on a Mac SE, so my interest in it is fairly nostalgic. It was one of the best games I played back in that era. I suppose I could try another FPS, but I'm kinda in the mood for something more strategy or RPG oriented.

As for graphics, I'm limping my nVidia GeForce FX 5600 ultra along. It's getting close to end of life for me as I'm having to drop settings way down for recent games - but they are still playable. I'd been planning to get a new mother board and some SATA drives as well. It takes forever for the BF2 maps to load. I had a good MB with Sata support but it got fried about a year ago before I ever upgraded from my IDE drives. I went with a cheapy replacement and have regretted it ever since. The catch 22 of course is do I really want to buy another MB to support my P4 Northwood CPU, or also upgrade that and get one of the 64 bit Athlons? At that point I'm looking at throwing $500-$1000 into my PC yet again. So, I might as well just sit tight on everything and wait another year.

morphius
12-04-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm pretty interested to see Age 3, I loved 1 and 2.

HC_Chief
12-04-2005, 11:32 AM
If you like RTS you should check out Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War. :thumb:

PastorMikH
12-04-2005, 04:24 PM
When I saw this thread title, I was thinking it was from Shanahan and the refs weren't able to help him win.

joesomebody
12-13-2005, 12:56 PM
AOE is decent, but I had some issues with it freezing during cinematic parts of the game. I beleive they released a patch since then, but I moved on to Civ 4.

I'd have to say AOE III is a great game if you set up custom games, the campaign/pre-loaded scenarios kind of suck.

I beleive there is supposed to be an outstanding scenario creator (ala Never Winter Nights) so look for tons of player created dls.

Civ 4 is fun, about what I expected, I haven't had time to play it as much as I wanted to.

Call of Duty 2 is currently my game of the moment, and it seems outstanding so far. I'm not a huge FPS person, but its held my interest longer than most. FYI, I haven't tried the multiplayer portion of CoD 2 yet, as I like to get a good feel for the controls before I log in and get my ass handed to me.

I think thats it for my recent game acquisitions.

I've had Pirates! since it came out, was fun at first, but I quickly grew tired of some of the Role playing aspects, like being nearly forced to dance with every town mayors daughter, even after I got married... Reminds me a lot of a game called Port Royale, and its really tough to say which is better... I'm leaning toward Port Royale if you enjoy less cinematics and role playing, and more amassing ships and plunder.

Anyone tried the latest Railroad Tycoon???

morphius
12-13-2005, 01:49 PM
I normally only play the custom maps when I play, only did a campaign to learn how to play the game the first time.

Count Alex's Losses
12-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Shittiest game I ever bought:

http://www.computerspiele4u.de/oscn/modules/oscn_catalog/images/EvilDeadHailtotheKing_PC_US.jpg

I blew 40 bucks on that piece of crap.

cookster50
12-13-2005, 06:08 PM
Anyone tried the latest Railroad Tycoon???

What is the latest? I've got RT3. To be honest, none of the sequels come even close to the original. They really screwed that game up.

ChiefFripp
12-15-2005, 10:41 AM
If the aircraft are turning you off from BF2 you should try BF2:Special forces, it's more about infantry combat with only a few maps with copters. There are no planes in the game.

Did you know Robin Williams is a BF2 fan? (http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000183072155)

I remember reading he played BF42 and it looks like he's now just a regular BF franchise fanboy.