PDA

View Full Version : NFT-Firewood, to burn pine or not?

HemiEd
12-04-2005, 01:13 PM
I need some help. I buy my firewood from a guy that told my wife I should not burn the pine that I cut myself in my fireplace. He told her that the sap would cause a fire hazzard in my flue. The stuff burns great, and does not pop. Doe anyone know who is right here? I appreciate the help.

4th and Long
12-04-2005, 01:17 PM
It is not a good idea to burn pine products in your home. Pine products, due to the resin in them, burn very hot, crackle and spit a lot throwing burning particles around, and the pine tar in the combustion products coats the inside of the flue, leading to a potential fire hazard. IN SHORT, do not burn pine wood products in your fireplace or in the open or you are asking for big trouble.

cdcox
12-04-2005, 01:21 PM
I concur with 4th. Burning it outside is fine, as long as you are not smoking meat.

HemiEd
12-04-2005, 01:27 PM
It is not a good idea to burn pine products in your home. Pine products, due to the resin in them, burn very hot, crackle and spit a lot throwing burning particles around, and the pine tar in the combustion products coats the inside of the flue, leading to a potential fire hazard. IN SHORT, do not burn pine wood products in your fireplace or in the open or you are asking for big trouble.

I concur with 4th. Burning it outside is fine, as long as you are not smoking meat.

Thanks guys, I guess I lost that argument. Damn I hate to admit to her when she is right.

Bob Dole
12-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Definitely do not burn pine in a fireplace.

Hedge is a bad choice, too.

4th and Long
12-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Definitely do not burn pine in a fireplace.

Hedge is a bad choice, too.
Agreed. They both burn hot but the resin they leave behind can be deadly.