PDA

View Full Version : WOW!! Referee Bill Leavy does an interview

dirk digler
12-04-2005, 09:59 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/12/04/chiefsbroncos__postgame_quotes__referee_bill_leavy/

Referee Bill Leavy
Dec 04, 2005, 8:21:13 PM

Kansas City Chiefs vs. Denver Broncos
Sunday, December 4, 2005
Postgame Quotes
Referee Bill Leavy

Q: What did you see on the fourth down spot?

A: “The runner was clearly short by a couple of feet of the 48-yard line. He had to reach the 48. Obviously, the first down was given very tightly. Therefore, when I saw the spot on the field, I knew the first down had not been reached. At that time, the clock was at 2:01. After conferring with the line judge, I had to stop the game clock at that point and put the game clock at 2:01 and then turn the ball over to [Kansas City] and give the two-minute warning after they ran the first play.’’

Q: On the initial spot, can you estimate about how much he got the first down by?
A: “Inches. Less than two inches.’’

Q: How many replay angles did you see?
A: “About four replays and one good replay that was clearly down the line of scrimmage. I saw the runner stood up and he was short of the 48.’’

Q: Was it a difficult decision?
A: “It was clear to me he didn’t reach the first down and the right thing to do was reverse it and give the ball to [Kansas City].’’

Q: What about the helmet-to-helmet call on Lynch?
A: “My back judge reported he hade a helmet-to-helmet contact and I administered the penalty. The length of discussion we had was very short.’’

kcfanintitanhell
12-04-2005, 10:37 PM
The length of discussion we had was very short.��

And so will EK's attention span in later life after that hit. :rolleyes:

Halfcan
12-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Sorry but the Refs were very bad today. That should have never been called a 1st down to start with. I was going nuts, and could not believe they did the right thing and overturned such a bad call. Best challange DV ever did.

Redcoats58
12-04-2005, 10:44 PM
I would goes as far to say earlier in the game that the TD the Broncos got at the 1 yard line did not break the plane also. It looked short to me.

Dunit35
12-04-2005, 10:46 PM
I would goes as far to say earlier in the game that the TD the Broncos got at the 1 yard line did not break the plane also. It looked short to me.

Yeah, but I wouldnt have thrown the flag on it.

Redcoats58
12-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Yeah, but I wouldnt have thrown the flag on it.
Could have been the game decider. I don't think it would have been a bad challenge.

morphius
12-04-2005, 10:48 PM
it was short

Skip Towne
12-04-2005, 10:57 PM
If I ever meet John Lynch in real life, I'm going to hit him in the head with an axe handle then complain to the cop that it was an accident. It just amazes me how many of these "accidents" he's involved in.

KChiefsQT
12-04-2005, 10:58 PM
If I ever meet John Lynch in real life, I'm going to hit him in the head with an axe handle then complain to the cop that it was an accident. It just amazes me how many of these "accidents" he's involved in.
How much do you think this one will cost him??
Not enough...I'm sure. :shake:

Halfcan
12-04-2005, 10:59 PM
You are so right Skip-he is a dirty player. I would love to see you nail that cheater with an axehandle.

philfree
12-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Did he comment on Plummer starting his slide at the 2 yard line and it being called a TD till we challenged it? And then after it was overturned they still blew the spot and put it at the half yard line...did he comment on that? Or the Blatant holding call that gave Plummer 10 years to roll out and complete a 1st down pass....did he comment on that? Or all the tackels the donks made by grabbing our players by the head? :shake: I'm sure they missed some against us but.........well........We won so fug it!

PhilFree:arrow:

Redcoats58
12-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Did he comment on Plummer starting his slide at the 2 yard line and it being called a TD till we challenged it? And then after it was overturned they still blew the spot and put it at the half yard line...did he comment on that? Or the Blatant holding call that gave Plummer 10 years to roll out and complete a 1st down pass....did he comment on that? Or all the tackels the donks made by grabbing our players by the head? :shake: I'm sure they missed some against us but.........well........We won so fug it!

Oh I had forgotten about those. Are those the horse collar tackles they were supposed to be cracking down on? If they are I saw atleast two from the Donks.

Rain Man
12-05-2005, 02:25 AM
I gotta be honest. On the replay, I thought Plummer was in on that slide.

RedDread
12-05-2005, 02:32 AM
It was close but his knee was down on the goal line with the ball still tucked in his arm about 1 foot behind the goal line.

Before the call I was cursing DV for using a challenge so early in the game. Losing that challenge and the timeout for a ball spot on the 1 foot line could have had bigger consequences than it did.

philfree
12-05-2005, 02:43 AM
I gotta be honest. On the replay, I thought Plummer was in on that slide.

I'm pretty sure that at the moment a QB starts his slide the ball is considered down at that location. I don't know what is considered the start of the slide by NFL Rules but to me once the QB starts to lay back and stick out his front foot he's started his slide. He ain't gotta be touched or anything. From my seat the ball should have been spotted at the 1 1/2 yard line. After the reversal the ball was spotted on the 1/2 yard line. We still got screwed even though we did get the reversal on the challenge. ... Don't matter because we won............

huskerdooz
12-05-2005, 02:56 AM
I'm pretty sure that at the moment a QB starts his slide the ball is considered down at that location. I don't know what is considered the start of the slide by NFL Rules but to me once the QB starts to lay back and stick out his front foot he's started his slide. He ain't gotta be touched or anything. From my seat the ball should have been spotted at the 1 1/2 yard line. After the reversal the ball was spotted on the 1/2 yard line. We still got screwed even though we did get the reversal on the challenge. ... Don't matter because we won............

I agree that they missed the spot on that one as well. It is at the point when the QB starts to give himself up so to speak by going into a slide that the ball is spotted. It is at that point the defense isn't allowed to take a shot at the QB.

Nelson Muntz
12-06-2005, 04:10 PM
I thought even when pussy sliding, they weren't down til their knee hit.

Frosty
12-06-2005, 04:16 PM
I've always thought the ball was supposed to be spotted at where the ball was when the slide was started, though I don't know how that is determined as it seems pretty random.

htismaqe
12-06-2005, 04:17 PM
I agree that they missed the spot on that one as well. It is at the point when the QB starts to give himself up so to speak by going into a slide that the ball is spotted. It is at that point the defense isn't allowed to take a shot at the QB.

Yes, exactly. Not only that, but the spot should be with THE BALL, not where the QB's knees touched, etc.

htismaqe
12-06-2005, 04:17 PM
I've always thought the ball was supposed to be spotted at where the ball was when the slide was started, though I don't know how that is determined as it seems pretty random.

Yep.

ct
12-06-2005, 04:19 PM

Plummers don't go down til thier ass is dirty.

chiefqueen
12-06-2005, 05:01 PM

What's a matter with you all the Broncos are the media's darlings and can't do anything wrong.

Calcountry
12-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Yeah, but I wouldnt have thrown the flag on it.Phill Simms summed that up nicely, you always take points off the board.

Calcountry
12-06-2005, 06:53 PM
You are so right Skip-he is a dirty player. I would love to see you nail that cheater with an axehandle.Lynch reminds me a lot of HomoNOWski.

chief52
12-06-2005, 07:04 PM

That has always been my thought as well.

jettio
12-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Could have been the game decider. I don't think it would have been a bad challenge.

Since one challenge was used on the Plummer slide, it was not worth the risk to challenge that call becaue if the ref denies the challenge then the Chiefs would be out of challenges for the rest of the game.

As it turned out, they had one left at the last possible moment in the game when it could be used and it was needed.