PDA

View Full Version : Think Cincy might rest their starters against us in week 17?

cmh6476
12-05-2005, 09:20 AM
I know this is looking way to fockin far ahead, but...

Looking at the schedule, the Bengals fate will likely be determined when they face the Chiefs.

Definitely not a sure thing, but if Cincy wins next week they are 5-1 in the division and it will be next to impossible for Pittsburgh to catch them.

New England will not catch them, and the Pats are pretty much guaranteed the 4 seed.

I think it's a pretty safe bet Indy will wrap up the 1 seed shortly.

That leaves only the 2/3 seeds for the Bengals and AFCW winner to fight over. This game could have major implications, if the Chiefs are fighting for the division, and Cincy is battling for the bye over the AFCW winner. However, it may not come down to that because Denver and San Diego play each other on Saturday, so it'll be a pretty safe bet that Cincy knows exactly where they stand heading into this game on Sunday. If it means nothing, why wouldn't they give their starters a rest?

HemiEd
12-05-2005, 09:32 AM
This is exactly what I was thinking about when watching them beat the Steelers. Nice job detailing the scenerios.

JimNasium
12-05-2005, 09:35 AM
My gut tells me no. I don't think you rest a young team that is just starting to jell the week before the playoffs begin. I also don't think it's the coach's style to take a week off.

chiefsfaninNC
12-05-2005, 09:36 AM
They may rest their starters. Depends on how Denver does the rest of the season. Cincy wants the bye week. If Denver drops a game or two and Cincy wins out then I am sure they will rest their starters against us.

Saulbadguy
12-05-2005, 09:37 AM
I hope not. I don't want to back in to the playoffs ala Denver.

Chiefnj
12-05-2005, 09:38 AM
If Denver and Cincy win the next three, they will both be 12-3 in the final week. Right?

Even assuming SD beats Denver and drops Denver down to 12-4, the game will still be important for Cincy, won't it?

Who has the tiebreaker advantage if they both finish 12-4?

HemiEd
12-05-2005, 09:41 AM
I hope not. I don't want to back in to the playoffs ala Denver.

Your post conjurred up memories of how well we did against San Diegos back ups the last game last year.

chiefsfaninNC
12-05-2005, 09:44 AM
If Denver and Cincy win the next three, they will both be 12-3 in the final week. Right?

Even assuming SD beats Denver and drops Denver down to 12-4, the game will still be important for Cincy, won't it?

Who has the tiebreaker advantage if they both finish 12-4?

Denver would. All Cincy's losses would be AFC in that scenario.

cmh6476
12-05-2005, 09:50 AM
would the bengals do it if we were fighting SD for the final spot? What if Cincy is locked in as the 3, no matter what happens in week 17. Yet, we win and we're in, but if we lose then SD is in. Would Cincy still bench some of their starters, or would they go full bore for SD's sake? :shrug:

RINGLEADER
12-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Tough to say. If Denver continues their stumble (remember, they're a bad kick away from losing two games in a row) that final game could be for the second seed in the playoffs. Just depends on if Cincy has anything to play for or not. If they don't then I betcha they sit their starters and host us the following week.

recxjake
12-05-2005, 09:55 AM
I called this yesterday...
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=130393

I can see them giving us the game if it proves a better match up for them in the wild card game..... heck we might rest ours if we win the next three

I would love to play Cincy 2 weeks in a row... Home and Away

Saggysack
12-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Don't believe it for one second.

Mile High Mania
12-05-2005, 10:03 AM
If Denver continues their stumble (remember, they're a bad kick away from losing two games in a row) that final game could be for the second seed in the playoffs.

Geez ... losing by 4 points on the road is a stumble? If Denver loses to Baltimore in Denver, you can call it a stumble.

Right now it's all about positioning for Denver, Cincy and the rest.

Cincy and Denver are tied with 9-3 records. Denver should have no issues beating the Ravens and Raiders in Denver. There is 11 wins. Denver *should* beat the Bills, but it's on the road and Buf plays tough there, but if this Denver team is legit, they should win there... 12 wins. I'll give them a loss at SD.

12 potential wins for Denver is going to force Cincy to play lights out against their remaining schedule... Browns, @ Lions, Bills @ KC.

Cincy should run the table over the next 3 giving them 12 wins. So, it's very likely that going into the final week, the Broncos and Bengals are tied. I think you'll see every bit of the Bengals that you care to see.

But, KC needs to first get past tough defensive battles at Dallas and the Giants before you get too worried about Cincy.

phxchief
12-05-2005, 10:24 AM
I agree with MHM - the Broncos aren't stumbling anywhere. They're a 12-4 team with a first-round bye as far as I can see.

I'm confident that if KC splits on the road, we're in (obviously assuming they don't tank at home).

Mark M
12-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Like others have posted, Cincy and Denver will be fighting it out to get the better record. And, unlike years past, I just don't see Denver collapsing like they usually do (although I will pray for such things).

It's simple: The Chiefs need to win every game. They may luck out if they lose just one, but that'll still be pushing it.

MM
~~:arrow: