PDA

View Full Version : "They Got 14 Points Off Miscommunication"

RINGLEADER
12-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Funny how the Denver players/media see this loss...See, the Broncos didn't surrender 21 of the 31 points the Chiefs scored because of our good offense, but because of "communication problems" (see the bolded excerpt below) ROFL ROFL ROFL

Kansas City, Mo. - If it's December, and it was. If it was Arrowhead Stadium, and it was. Then there are no ifs.

The Kansas City Chiefs win.

The Denver Broncos may have put out all the stops, calling reverses and screens and Bradlee specials. But when it mattered most, win or else, the Broncos were nowhere near able to stop the hungry Chiefs.

In a wildly exciting, hard-fought, back-and-forth game, the desperate Chiefs managed to defeat the suddenly secondary suspect Broncos 31-27 on a chilly December Sunday before a bundled 78,261 at Arrowhead.

So what else is new? The win was the 17th in a row by the Chiefs in December home games. The Broncos were the victims for the fourth time in that streak, which started in 1997.

This time the Broncos flew home believing they were defeated not by the Chiefs but by themselves.

"They got 14 points off miscommunication," Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams said. "Take those away and it's a whole different ballgame."

Indeed, the most disturbing element of this game may not have been the loss itself - at 9-3, Denver continues to lead the AFC West by a game with three of its final four games against poor-record opponents - but how the Chiefs exposed the Broncos' defense, particularly in the secondary.

Like no other quarterback before in this 2005 season, the Chiefs' Trent Green spotted vulnerabilities in the Broncos' secondary on the intermediate and deep routes.

"Their linebackers have so much speed, we felt we had to back them off (in coverage) as far as we could," Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said.

After Broncos running back Mike Anderson took a screen pass and sped 66 yards for the game's first touchdown, the Chiefs came right back with a 41-yard pass from Green to a wide-open Dante Hall. On the play, Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey released Hall about 10 yards down the sideline. As it turned out, Hall was released to freedom. No one was within the Kansas-Missouri state line of Hall when he caught it.

"Everyone was playing different coverages on that side of the field," Broncos safety John Lynch said.

The Chiefs took a 14-7 lead when running back Larry Johnson bulled in from the 1-yard line, and Broncos linebacker Al Wilson went berserk. The Broncos had just stopped Johnson on first-and- goal and second-and-goal, but on third- and-goal the Broncos made two personnel changes.

This brought not new blood, but confusion at the goal line as Johnson scored. Wilson reacted visibly, walking toward the sideline while pointing and yelling at the coaches for the late change.

"I won't talk about that," Wilson said. "It was between me and my coaches and me being a football player. It was me being firing up at the time."

The Broncos tied it on Anderson's second touchdown, this one a 1-yard run, but the Chiefs came right back on a 25-yard touchdown pass from

Green to tight end Tony Gonzalez. Again, Bailey was the closest defender and again there were was a breakdown.

"I was supposed to have Gonzalez on that play," Williams said.

<B>Counting the touchdown that popped Wilson's top, the Broncos surrendered 21 points to communication failures.</B> Add the interception quarterback Jake Plummer threw on second-and-goal in the first half, and the Broncos had 28 points worth of headshaking ifs, ands or buts.

"We made some mistakes we haven't made this season," Wilson said. "You've got to move forward and clean it up. We made some adjustments at halftime, but we let things slip away in the first half."

Much was made about Johnson finishing with 140 yards rushing against a Denver defense that came in ranked No. 1 against the run. His biggest run was a 4-yard touchdown for the winning points with 9:58 remaining.

"Everybody, including the media, expects me to fold and think that their linebacking crew was going to shut us down," said Johnson, who has amassed 709 yards rushing in his five games as a starter this season.

But Johnson had only 50 yards entering the fourth quarter. Until then, it was the 253 yards passing by Green that had Denver mostly playing catch-up.

"Every defense has a weakness, and they caught us in a few defenses where that was our weakness at the time," Williams said. "But as a corner, I feel we've got to adjust."

It would be hard to find a more entertaining game. The score was 7-7 after the first quarter, 21-21 at halftime and 24-24 after the third quarter. The Broncos tied the game late in the first half when backup quarterback Bradlee Van Pelt made his NFL debut. With Plummer split out wide to the left, Van Pelt ran off right tackle to score on a 7-yard draw.
"It wasn't as simple as it looked," Van Pelt said. "I'm not going to give away any secrets, but I think all of you could do it off that formation."

Denver's loss was cemented at the two-minute warning when a replay review overturned Anderson's fourth- down carry for what was initially called a first down at Denver's 47-yard line.

A second was put back on the clock, but not the yard in Denver's favor.

By itself, the loss hardly dooms the Broncos. Their 9-3 record is one game better than Kansas City and San Diego, both 8-4, in the AFC West. A win, however, would have given Denver a three- game lead on the Chiefs with four to go.

A win at Arrowhead in December? It seems only the Chiefs should expect it.

"We had the opportunity to settle some things and we let it get away," Lynch said. "It's disappointing we didn't play as clean as we should have, but give credit to them. They were desperate and they played like it."

the Talking Can
12-05-2005, 09:29 AM
the Doncos have never lost....they've always "made mistakes"

****ing pussies

the Talking Can
12-05-2005, 09:30 AM
what does the Cleveland DL have to say about getting it Prison Style from our OL?

Amnorix
12-05-2005, 09:36 AM
I don't understand -- isn't proper communication part of football?

wutamess
12-05-2005, 09:38 AM
OMFG!!!

If Warfield would've picked that pass off for 6 it would've been a whole different ball game and they wouldn't have any of these dumbass excuses.

Say what you will about DV but when we get our ass handed to us... he recognizes it and calls it what it is.

Dartgod
12-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Yes, and creating mismatches and confusion on D is a part of a well designed offense.

JimNasium
12-05-2005, 09:39 AM
That's what I'm thinking as well. I'll say this about your team, they don't make excuses when they lose and neither does the media that cover them. The Donks have never held themselves accountable. They are a bunch of cheating, lying, whining, arrogant punks. A true reflection of their classless coach.

Raiderhader
12-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Since when does a team's ability, or inability to communicate with in itself not count towards the team's over all performance?

I'm sure we didn't really surrender points to a good O yesterday, they just happened to take advantage of some miscommunications we had on D.

FringeNC
12-05-2005, 09:41 AM

And what percentage of TD passes in football can be blamed on "communication failures"? Isn't that a big part of the reason to use motion in the backfield - to force the other team into "communication failures"?

MOhillbilly
12-05-2005, 09:42 AM
unlike earlier in the year when i said KC was LUCKY - yesterday at half i said ' self there is noway KC loses this game '

its been along time since self has said such things.

JimNasium
12-05-2005, 09:43 AM
unlike earlier in the year when i said KC was LUCKY - yesterday at half i said ' self there is noway KC loses this game '

its been along time since self has said such things.
When you talk to yourself do you actually say these thing aloud or is it the voices in your head? :p

Taco John
12-05-2005, 09:43 AM
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/pix/tanaka2/Scarecrow-m.jpg

THERE'S ANOTHER ONE!

KICK THE SHIT OUT OF HIM!

kepp
12-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Yes, and creating mismatches and confusion on D is a part of a well designed offense.
And that's what one of the main goals of our offense, with all the shifting and movement, is, right?

JimNasium
12-05-2005, 09:44 AM
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/pix/tanaka2/Scarecrow-m.jpg

THERE'S ANOTHER ONE!

KICK THE SHIT OUT OF HIM!
Your and idiot. Oh, and an arrogant, classless punk to boot. :p

mike_b_284
12-05-2005, 09:45 AM
Rotten vagina > Denver broncos

HemiEd
12-05-2005, 09:48 AM
I like these kind of articles, especially from the Bronco faithful. It means we kicked their ass.

JohninGpt
12-05-2005, 09:56 AM
And what percentage of TD passes in football can be blamed on "communication failures"? Isn't that a big part of the reason to use motion in the backfield - to force the other team into "communication failures"?
I was always under the impression that finding and exploiting your opponents mistakes and weaknesses was the object of the game. :shrug: If that's not the case then I agree, the Donkeys should have won because they made mistakes. How about a do-over.

Amnorix
12-05-2005, 10:02 AM
:shake: I mean, this doesn't even make any sense.

You're not blaming someone ELSE, like a ref, for screwing you over.

You're saying you didn't deserve to lose just because you messed something up. I mean, WTF is that about?

To me, it's all the same -- missed block, missed tackle, overthrew ball, dropped pass, poor communication on defense, I mean, it's all just part of the game of football. Do it right, or you will LOSE against good teams.

I mean -- hell, wasn't that play where Jake went out to be a WR and their backup QB came in all designed to fool the Chiefs' defense, with regard to coverage and communication, etc.? Or should confusion only be allowed to result in points sometimes and not others?

It's retarded. Just completely ridiculous.

Sully
12-05-2005, 10:05 AM
What is this game they speak of, where you only REALLY lose if you play perfectly and the other team doesn't?

Can I have the playoff game back where the headsets went out, and we had miscommunications?

ChiefsfaninPA
12-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Of course it was miscommunication, we all know how great the Donkeys are. There is no way they lose if they don't miscommunicate. How stupid are those comments. That makes this win even better, they are already starting to lick there wounds. And making excuses for getting MANHANDLED. This is the end of the Donkeys season. And we caused it. Man this feels good.

Mile High Mania
12-05-2005, 10:12 AM
They have nobody to blame but themselves... sure, they had blown coverages... that's on them. Green had too much time at times and LJ ran down their throat in the 4th. That's on them.

RINGLEADER
12-05-2005, 10:13 AM

You're saying you didn't deserve to lose just because you messed something up. I mean, WTF is that about?

To me, it's all the same -- missed block, missed tackle, overthrew ball, dropped pass, poor communication on defense, I mean, it's all just part of the game of football. Do it right, or you will LOSE against good teams.

I mean -- hell, wasn't that play where Jake went out to be a WR and their backup QB came in all designed to fool the Chiefs' defense, with regard to coverage and communication, etc.? Or should confusion only be allowed to result in points sometimes and not others?

You're so right. If the Chiefs had only tackled better on that long pass to Anderson, sacked Plummer when he converted that 3rd and 3 on their second TD drive and not allowed that long drive at the end of the first half they would have won 31-6.

Knuckleheads...

JimNasium
12-05-2005, 10:14 AM
They have nobody to blame but themselves... sure, they had blown coverages... that's on them. Green had too much time at times and LJ ran down their throat in the 4th. That's on them.
You are one of the few Denver fans that makes any sense.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-05-2005, 10:16 AM
They should be talking about how there GREAT D got ran all over in the fourth quarter for 90 yards by LJ.

FringeNC
12-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Denver spin: "They Got 14 Points Off Miscommunication"

Reality: Al Saunders did what he gets paid to do: create confusion on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

Raiderhader
12-05-2005, 10:24 AM

Alas, you have an inkling as to why we despise them so much.

JimNasium
12-05-2005, 10:25 AM
:clap:

Skip Towne
12-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Nobody has EVER beaten the Donkeys.

Cochise
12-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Even the media makes excuses till the cows come home.

Sure-Oz
12-05-2005, 10:47 AM
give me a break accept it you lost!

ChiTown
12-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Yes. We were lucky. I mean KC played a flawless 3 turnover game, and had zero Defensive miscommunications....gmafb.

Denver lost because they are bunch of butt pirate cok suckers. End of story, biatches.

headsnap
12-05-2005, 11:08 AM

statistical outlier...

he would be the first one thrown out when it came time to average the donkey fans up. :)

Amnorix
12-05-2005, 01:44 PM

I despise them too. Probably not as much as you guys, but pretty close.

And my despising of the Jets and 'phins has been moderated of late because they have fielded some truly pathetic teams over the last few years.

Nightwish
12-05-2005, 01:59 PM
I don't understand -- isn't proper communication part of football?That's kind of what I thought. If you don't communicate correctly on a given Sunday, then you're not the better team on that given Sunday. The better team won this one. I wonder if the Broncos were just as apt to forgive themselves the credit in Champ Bailey's interception against Dallas, an interception caused by miscommunication between QB and receiver? Somehow, methinks no.

kcfanXIII
12-05-2005, 02:00 PM
excuses are like assholes......
denver is full of them.

kcfanXIII
12-05-2005, 02:09 PM
nice to see one of your kind not making excuses. so i can say this to you, great ****ing game. classic afc west brawl.

Hydrae
12-05-2005, 02:12 PM
If they are still having communication problems at this point in the season, it's over for them. Look at how the Chiefs defense has rounded out during the season. No way should an NFL defense be having problems with communication now if they have any thoughts of playoffs and beyond.

TEX
12-05-2005, 02:25 PM
"They got 14 points off miscommunication," Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams said. "Take those away and it's a whole different ballgame."

Typical - Hey Darrent, and if you take away LJ's 140 yard rushing, it's a different game as well... :rolleyes:

el borracho
12-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Keitzman: "Gunther, what is best in life?"
Cunningham: "Crush da Chahghas. See da Raydahs driven before you. Hear the lamentation of da Broncos." ROFL

Mile High Mania
12-05-2005, 02:39 PM

Typical - Hey Darrent, and if you take away LJ's 140 yard rushing, it's a different game as well... :rolleyes:

I read his quote and I don't interpret it as an excuse. I see it more of him pointing out that the defense screwed up and pointing out a missed opportunity.

Extra Point
12-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Sure, Denver can communicate. Here's a quote from one of Denver's inspirational guides:
"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggonit, Plummer, poke me..."

el borracho
12-05-2005, 02:45 PM
I read his quote and I don't interpret it as an excuse. I see it more of him pointing out that the defense screwed up and pointing out a missed opportunity.
As has already been said, that is all part of the game. I'm sure Gonzalez would like back the ball he tipped into the interception, Warfield would like back the 6 point interception he dropped and Green would like back the interception on the slant.

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 02:57 PM
the Doncos have never lost....they've always "made mistakes"

****ing pussiesIts not like Plumber wanted to run that
interception. The pussy threw it into blanket coverage. If he would have ran, he was going to be pulling sod out of his helmet.

Extra Point
12-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Its not like Plumber wanted to run that
interception. The pussy threw it into blanket coverage. If he would have ran, he was going to be pulling sod out of his helmet.

After pulling his helmet out of his arse....

Mile High Mania
12-05-2005, 03:08 PM
Its not like Plumber wanted to run that

C'mon, he would have slid...

ct
12-05-2005, 03:10 PM

Completely and totally agree!!

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 03:14 PM
OMFG!!!

If Warfield would've picked that pass off for 6 it would've been a whole different ball game and they wouldn't have any of these dumbass excuses.

Say what you will about DV but when we get our ass handed to us... he recognizes it and calls it what it is.Had we lost, we should have pointed to that play and blamed the loss on it.

Mile High Mania
12-05-2005, 03:14 PM
I've learned you can't sweat the small stuff... there were blown calls (holds and crap like that) on both sides. Guys like Lynch are going to get called for hits like that whether they're legit or not. It's a part of the game.

I love his style of play and his aggressiveness... and as I've always said, if it's a flag throw it... if it's fine worthy, fine him.

It's all part of the game.

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 03:17 PM
When you talk to yourself do you actually say these thing aloud or is it the voices in your head? :pI think it was the uncut sour mash talkin.

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Your and idiot. Oh, and an arrogant, classless punk to boot. :pDidn't someone describe the players and the coach of Denver like this? Figures, that the fans would be as well.

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 03:20 PM

It's retarded. Just completely ridiculous.You have to put yourself into a Bill Romanowski mindset to figure it out.

stevieray
12-05-2005, 03:21 PM
We beat the Invescos even with the gift TD the refs gave them.

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Nobody has EVER beaten the Donkeys.Not even when Montana out Elwayed Elway on that Monday night game.

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 03:28 PM
As has already been said, that is all part of the game. I'm sure Gonzalez would like back the ball he tipped into the interception, Warfield would like back the 6 point interception he dropped and Green would like back the interception on the slant.Speaking of Green, how about when he miscommunicated with the back, and still picked up 8 yards on his own?

Mile High Mania
12-05-2005, 03:33 PM
We beat the Invescos even with the gift TD the refs gave them.

What gift might you be referring to?

stevieray
12-05-2005, 03:34 PM
What gift might you be referring to?

Andersons second TD.

Mile High Mania
12-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Andersons second TD.

Ok, and how was that a gift...

stevieray
12-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Ok, and how was that a gift...

ball didn't cross the goalline before he was down.

Mile High Mania
12-05-2005, 03:39 PM
ball didn't cross the goalline before he was down.

Wow... that's the first I heard of this... if that were the case, I would have read some screaming on the thread at the time he scored. I don't recall anyone whining about him being down.

Mile High Mania
12-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Let's just say you're right (even though you couldn't be more wrong), it was 2nd down and 1 at the goal line... they'd have punched it on 3rd or 4th.

But, he advanced across the goal line fine ... with the ball.

Anyong Bluth
12-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Who is the retard that pulled this together, seriously.

manchambo
12-05-2005, 03:43 PM
What's so funny, and ultimately kind of pathetic, about this thread is that there is not a single element of that article in which the Broncos players blame anyone but themselves for the loss. They are simply stating that they blew coverages due to miscommunication, which was obvious to anyone watching the game.

I imagine that a person could post any statement ever made by any Bronco anywhere, and you would all stroke off to it in similar fashion.

Anyong Bluth
12-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Let's just say you're right (even though you couldn't be more wrong), it was 2nd down and 1 at the goal line... they'd have punched it on 3rd or 4th.

Uh, I think a play at the end of the game proved otherwise. Getting that yard isn't a "given"

JimNasium
12-05-2005, 03:45 PM
What's so funny, and ultimately kind of pathetic, about this thread is that there is not a single element of that article in which the Broncos players blame anyone but themselves for the loss. They are simply stating that they blew coverages due to miscommunication, which was obvious to anyone watching the game.

I imagine that a person could post any statement ever made by any Bronco anywhere, and you would all stroke off to it in similar fashion.
So you are calling us pathetic? I've never received a higher compliment on this board. Thanks.

stevieray
12-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Wow... that's the first I heard of this... if that were the case, I would have read some screaming on the thread at the time he scored. I don't recall anyone whining about him being down.

I replayed it three times last night. I don't really put much stock into chiefsplanet game threads, other than they are great for fans who can't get the game.

It's all good. There are always bad calls, but the 4th and one spot has to be the most blatant show of bad officiating in a while. You can watch the LJ take two ssteps past where MA was stuffed.

We won in spite of the refs.

stevieray
12-05-2005, 03:46 PM

BS.

Mile High Mania
12-05-2005, 03:49 PM
We'll just have to agree to disagree...

Denver's defense let them down when they needed to stand up the most in the 4th quarter. That is where the game was won/lost.

Nightwish
12-05-2005, 03:49 PM
What's so funny, and ultimately kind of pathetic, about this thread is that there is not a single element of that article in which the Broncos players blame anyone but themselves for the loss.
You're right, we leave that to you guys.

FringeNC
12-05-2005, 03:53 PM
You have to put yourself into a Bill Romanowski mindset to figure it out.

That would take years of taking a tackle box full of "supplements" everyday.

stevieray
12-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Denver's defense let them down when they needed to stand up the most in the 4th quarter. That is where the game was won/lost.

Exactly. That FG at the beginning of the fourth was the last time you scored, and one of the two was after a TO.

KC's defensive play in the forth qtr preserved the win.

I wish you could've been there. Damn exciting game, even though the WC was 15 degrees.

OM group was three rows behind me.

Mile High Mania
12-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Exactly. That FG at the beginning of the fourth was the last time you scored, and one of the two was after a TO.

KC's defensive play in the forth qtr preserved the win.

I wish you could've been there. Damn exciting game, even though the WC was 15 degrees.

OM group was three rows behind me.

I would have much rather have gone to this game than the one last year. I think it was 1 degree last year. Did you guys get along with the OM crew? Did you check out the bus?

Rudy lost the toss
12-05-2005, 04:02 PM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by manchambo
Here's my take on the overturned first down at the end of the game. It looks on the replay like he didn't make the line to gain. The line judge clearly saw something, however, that made him think the ball was ahead of Anderson's body. Did Anderson reach forward with the ball? Why else would the line judge have placed the ball where he did? You simply can't see on the available footage.

So they go to the tape, and I did not see a single view where you could even see the ball, let alone tell whether it was ahead of the line. The rules say you cannot overturn the ruling on the field unless there is indisputable evidence. How can there possibly be indisputable evidence [U]if you can't see the ball[U]? Unless the ref looked at an angle they didn't show on TV, I think that's wrong to overturn the call.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ROFL

stevieray
12-05-2005, 04:03 PM
I would have much rather have gone to this game than the one last year. I think it was 1 degree last year. Did you guys get along with the OM crew? Did you check out the bus?

I saw the bus going in, but had obligations to attend to.(side note: SI was at a tailgate taking pics...I missed Lamar again!)

I will say, their costumes looked like they got out of a mini car at a circus....;)

They were pretty cool, they tried to steal my thunder, but I mostly ignored them, and they chilled out.

It would've been cool to talk to one of them, but I didn't get the chance.

Big Chief Homer
12-05-2005, 04:24 PM

Actually,not to beat a dead horse(pun intended),but the goalline angle shows anderson laying flat on the ground with ball on his right hip.Only after he on the ground does he shift the ball left and across the plane of the goal line.

I for one at first thought he was in until,a friend of mine called to see if I tivo'ed it.And we re-watched it.DV should have challenged that.

But like you said,he might have gotten in on 3rd down or he might not have.

Mile High Mania
12-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Actually,not to beat a dead horse(pun intended),but the goalline angle shows anderson laying flat on the ground with ball on his right hip.Only after he on the ground does he shift the ball left and across the plane of the goal line.

I for one at first thought he was in until,a friend of mine called to see if I tivo'ed it.And we re-watched it.DV should have challenged that.

But like you said,he might have gotten in on 3rd down or he might not have.

Well, I'm one of the few still without TiVO... that will soon change. However, if that's the case, then they got away with one. Either way, over the course of a full season I am convinced it balances out for all teams. Calls get missed for every team.

kcfanXIII
12-05-2005, 10:03 PM
After pulling his helmet out of his arse....
would tj have JACKED UP plummer, a "bronco", twice? i got it, jake the gay plummer's secret lover is, tom jackson.