PDA

View Full Version : All the talk about the decline of the Chiefs offense and criticism of Al Saunders...

KCChiefsFan88
12-05-2005, 02:26 PM
The Chiefs are 3rd in total offense, 4th in rushing offense, 9th in passing offense and 7th in points/game

Not too shabby

BigLefty05
12-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Not bad at all considering we are missing part one of our two part running game...and considering that out recieving cores best player is Eddie Kennison and that Gonzalez isn't getting the ball as much as normal...

The real key is how much better our defense is performing this year.

Coach
12-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Yes, the offense is doing well.

However, I am concerned about the redzone percentage. That's where they score alot of points, and historically, the Chiefs were in the top 5% of that category. However, they have fallen, and I don't think they're even in the top 15%.

Edit: I'm referring to TD's. There have been alot of drives that get in the redzone, but instead of tacking on six points, plus an PAT, we usually end up having to kick a FG.

Chief Henry
12-05-2005, 02:35 PM
I don't think we had a "cute " offense vs Denver.
We just over power'd them when it counted.

Al Saunders is learning that cute doesn't cut it.

BigLefty05
12-05-2005, 02:37 PM

However, I am concerned about the redzone percentage. That's where they score alot of points, and historically, the Chiefs were in the top 5% of that category. However, they have fallen, and I don't think they're even in the top 15%.

Edit: I'm referring to TD's. There have been alot of drives that get in the redzone, but instead of tacking on six points, plus an PAT, we usually end up having to kick a FG.

Part of the problem with our percentage is that we were running both backs...It is my opinion that Priest Holmes is a much better redzone running back...well thats a fact, he was the best of the best...were missing him therefore our percentage isn't as good...Tony G is double covered down there...Eddie Kennison seems to be more of a deep threat than a short route reciever...Priest could play a role on this team, just as Marcus Allen did when he tutored Greg Hill...

KCChiefsFan88
12-05-2005, 02:39 PM

If LJ can run in the redzone with the patience he showed on that final TD run I think the Chiefs redzone fortunes will improve dramatically.

He looked like vintage Priest Holmes on that play

Chiefnj
12-05-2005, 02:39 PM
I don't think we had a "cute " offense vs Denver.
We just over power'd them when it counted.

Al Saunders is learning that cute doesn't cut it.

Or, he isn't forced to get cute when his OL is back and #2 receiver is back.

Frankie
12-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Saunders is the logical choice to replace DV. Everybody who doesn't see that just likes to bitch.

Cochise
12-05-2005, 02:41 PM
I did notice that

-we put up 30 points against a top 5 defense
-got 25 first downs
-Johnson got 30 carries and put up 140 yards
-Green passed almost 70%

..and I came home to check the Planet and there were a pile of posts about one play where Dee Brown got the ball, making him still retain the title of "Squanders"

CoMoChief
12-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Part of the problem with our percentage is that we were running both backs...It is my opinion that Priest Holmes is a much better redzone running back...well thats a fact, he was the best of the best...were missing him therefore our percentage isn't as good...Tony G is double covered down there...Eddie Kennison seems to be more of a deep threat than a short route reciever...Priest could play a role on this team, just as Marcus Allen did when he tutored Greg Hill...

Yeah and Marcus Allen tutoring Hill turned out great.

BTW who was the worst of worst of our RB in the mid-late90's?

Hill
Morris
Bennett

You pick...

Chief Henry
12-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Or, he isn't forced to get cute when his OL is back and #2 receiver is back.

Thats very true...

mlyonsd
12-05-2005, 03:12 PM
When you have a guy like Kris Wilson on your team the offense is bound to be unstoppable.

tk13
12-05-2005, 03:17 PM
I thought Al called a really good game. He called a lot of passes early on, some worked and some didn't, but it made Denver more wary of blitzing and forced their LB's to play more in coverage. Trent's hard counts helped too, but if you watched that Dallas game, Denver was blitz city... they were putting 8 and 9 guys up near the line and just teeing off. We shut their blitzing packages down, and imagine that, we destroyed their defense.

Rausch
12-05-2005, 03:20 PM
I thought Al called a really good game. He called a lot of passes early on, some worked and some didn't, but it made Denver more wary of blitzing and forced their LB's to play more in coverage. Trent's hard counts helped too, but if you watched that Dallas game, Denver was blitz city... they were putting 8 and 9 guys up near the line and just teeing off. We shut their blitzing packages down, and imagine that, we destroyed their defense.

This sunday was Al's best play calling of the year.

He stepped it up as well... :)

TEX
12-05-2005, 03:20 PM
It's amazing what a good offensive system can produce with good Tackles providing pass protection. :hmmm:

JohnnyV13
12-05-2005, 04:10 PM
The offense has produced every time willie roaf has been healthy. In San Diego, Roaf clearly wasn't right when he gave up 2 sacks to merriman.

Other than that, this team has won every game when Roaf has been in the lineup.

That being said, yeah we aren't as good without holmes when we are in the red zone. And, while Allen tutoring Greg Hill didn't really work out, Allen WAS still effective.

The way you sell the role to Holmes is he's been injured 3 of the last 4 seasons and that he needs about 2,300 yards to get into the hall of fame. He gets 10,000 total rushing yards and 100 TDs, he gets in. But, right now, I don't think he's got enough rushing yards.

Put him in the "red zone" role, he stays healthy, and gets the TD's and yards he needs for the HOF

KCChiefsFan88
12-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Saunders is the logical choice to replace DV. Everybody who doesn't see that just likes to bitch.

Al Saunders= Head Coach
Mike Martz= Offensive Coordinator
Gunther= Defensive Coordinator

I'd be okay with that

Frankie
12-05-2005, 05:59 PM
The way you sell the role to Holmes is he's been injured 3 of the last 4 seasons and that he needs about 2,300 yards to get into the hall of fame. He gets 10,000 total rushing yards and 100 TDs, he gets in. But, right now, I don't think he's got enough rushing yards.

Put him in the "red zone" role, he stays healthy, and gets the TD's and yards he needs for the HOF

Very good.

Frankie
12-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Al Saunders= Head Coach
Mike Martz= Offensive Coordinator
Gunther= Defensive Coordinator

I'd be okay with that
As much as I hate Martz, that could be intriguing. I'm just afraid Martz might pull a Shanahan on Saunders.

Deberg_1990
12-05-2005, 06:05 PM

Yea, but how do you "Sell" that to LJ and his ego??

Deberg_1990
12-05-2005, 06:06 PM
As much as I hate Martz, that could be intriguing. I'm just afraid Martz might pull a Shanahan on Saunders.

Im not sure Martz's ego would let him settle for an offensive coodinator spot? If he would settle, hes a hell of an offensive mind. That 99 Rams team had one of the best offenses I have ever seen.

JohnnyV13
12-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Yea, but how do you "Sell" that to LJ and his ego??

B/c, he'd get the lion share of the carries. Two, you tell him that it saves wear and tear on his body, "Gee, Larry, look at what scoring all those touchdowns did to Priest's body, injured 3 out of every 4 years."

Finally, even if it doesn't entirely work entirely, that's fine, a slightly pissed off LJ is a GOOD thing.